Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

camino posted:

For what it's worth, Great Lakes Maritime Academy offers a three year program for people that already have bachelors degrees. Bonus of not having to call 19 year olds in regiments "Sir@".

That's actually the school I'm gonna go to. It's still pretty expensive since I'm an out-of-state student, hence why I want to get some cash before I sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

camino posted:

For what it's worth, Great Lakes Maritime Academy offers a three year program for people that already have bachelors degrees. Bonus of not having to call 19 year olds in regiments "Sir@".

Sir's a military thing; the merchant marine's standard is "Dude" and "Yo", except for Captains and Chief Engineer. They're "Cap" and "Chief".

That's what I chose to believe. :colbert:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Sir's a military thing; the merchant marine's standard is "Dude" and "Yo", except for Captains and Chief Engineer. They're "Cap" and "Chief".

That's what I chose to believe. :colbert:

I use 1st, 2nd, mate if I can't remember names. I make sure to yell at anyone calling me sir, especially if they are older than me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

I use 1st, 2nd, mate if I can't remember names. I make sure to yell at anyone calling me sir, especially if they are older than me.

I tolerate "Mate" if someone doesn't remember / can't pronounce my name, because I can pretend they're trying to sound Australian. Had a USCG PSC guy call me "Third" for like an entire afternoon, that was very WTF...

Had a pilot call me "Lieutenant" once, that takes the WTF-cake. Pilot, too, you'd think they'd know better.

And I get called "Captain" on the VHF all the time. Come on, dude, you're using the loving radio and you're not a Captain, why do you think I'd be a Captain? The Captain doesn't use the VHF, he nods at the handset and has me parrot! (Assuming he's on the bridge at all.)

I use "Yes, sir" all the time, I guess, but I don't go like "Sir, we're about to hit the bottom!", I go "Cap, we're about to ground her."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

I tolerate "Mate" if someone doesn't remember / can't pronounce my name, because I can pretend they're trying to sound Australian.

Things not to do, as tested by my fellow Kiwi cadet:
Go into the chief officer's office, in the middle of Lloyd's inspection, and start out with 'hey mate, how you doing'

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Things not to do, as tested by my fellow Kiwi cadet:
Go into the chief officer's office, in the middle of Lloyd's inspection, and start out with 'hey mate, how you doing'

The only thing wrong in that quote is that the Cadet is speaking in the presence of his better without being spoken to. :colbert:

Seriously, around here "Mate" is the proper form of a dress for a Chief Officer. He's the First Mate, after all... IE, the Mate. Admittedly if Lloyd's around, the CO might be a bit on edge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

There is a difference between mate and Mate.
It was pretty clear which it was.

Gilmour73
Dec 31, 2005

I DICTATE my own dance steps!
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm just gonna wait to take the course, do my seatime, and get my license. Really looking forward to it.

Although seeing your pictures made me SLIGHTLY less excited to be working on Canadian ships during the winter...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gilmour73 posted:

Although seeing your pictures made me SLIGHTLY less excited to be working on Canadian ships during the winter...

Do a Google Image search for "Freezing spray". The poo poo I posted is not bad by comparison (Although it was enough to take 10 knots of speed off 35 000 tons of ship and cargo, make of that what you will.)

Two Finger posted:

There is a difference between mate and Mate.
It was pretty clear which it was.

So what you're saying is that Australian is a tonal language, like Mandarin, where "Ma" can mean "Mother", "Horse" or "This sentence is a question", depending on the accent? Complex. Interesting.

Admittedly, Canadian English has a pronounciation of "Mate" that means "rear end in a top hat"...

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 26, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Do a Google Image search for "Freezing spray". The poo poo I posted is not bad by comparison (Although it was enough to take 10 knots of speed off 35 000 tons of ship and cargo, make of that what you will.)

God loving drat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

God loving drat.

A guy - Or hopefully a bunch of guys - is gonna have to go out there and break that off with a wooden mallet. It is, bar none, the hardest physical job on a boat.

If you don't break it off, it stays there until spring, loving up vents, equipment (windlasses :ohdear:), and stabillity. Tankers are lucky in that they usually have steam or hot water on deck.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 26, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

By guy, I assume you mean cadet?
gently caress that for a joke.
Still, you'd get buff as gently caress doing it, haha.

Gilmour73
Dec 31, 2005

Ouch. That is all I have to say about that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

By guy, I assume you mean cadet?
gently caress that for a joke.
Still, you'd get buff as gently caress doing it, haha.

Last time I've had to break freezing spray off, yeah, the Cadet was there.

So were the four OS's, the three AB's and the three mates. IE, the entire loving deck department. Took ten hours or so, but then we had three inches all the way back to the after end of #2 hold...

Edit: I don't think I insited enough on how loving hard it is to break that poo poo. That's frozen - Not slushy or mushy, loving frozen rock hard - salt water. It usually gets a few inches thick over night.

It's like -20C out, so you have to wear tons of layers, at least one which is not going to be conductive to breathing out sweat, because there's 60 KM/H of wind out there. Any exposed part of your body frostnips in a few minutes, everything inside that skidoo suit is wet from sweat - and getting colder.

And you gotta swing that loving mallet over and over again. Ever banged a piece of ice two inches thick with a mallet? It won't break. It might crack the fifth time. Then hopefully the guy with hte big loving pry bar will come over and nick that thing off. Then you start over a foot farther down.

There's fifty feet of lenght by eighty feet of breadth with that loving two inches of ice all over it. It's gotta get broke. Your mallet is five inches in diameter. Snot's freezing in your mustache.

And once that poo poo gets broken, it still needs to be shoveled over the side.

In summary, gently caress FREEZING SPRAY.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You guys haven't invented steam lances or what?

In Alaska during cargo you always have 2 ABs on deck. Tying up can take an extended period as the tide is measured in multiple feet and the current rips which means you are doing at least half ahead when working lines. Ice and the current can pull you off the dock so you are always on standby, along with jacketwater and steam lines going in to your sea suctions to keep the water warm enough and just in case it freezes. You need steam on deck at all times or the lines completely drained or you start cracking valves, blowing gaskets, lines etc.

Gilmour73
Dec 31, 2005

I'd have to say gently caress winter in general. I've heard stories about crazy poo poo at sea when I was doing my MED, but that's what this country is all about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Steam on deck is a tanker / steamship thing. The only things we got going up the deck are the fire line and a couple of cable conduits... Needless to say we don't have anything to pump hot water up the fireline, because we can't produce enough hot water for that. It's usually kept drained in the winter, anyway. (To the point where I'll write "Fire main drained @ (time)" in the log book to cover my rear end, because it will loving burst if it's not drained.

What we do is tie the lines on the winch drums, then run the drums empty for a good half hour before we get to port. The fairleads are gonna be froze, there's no way around that. We don't have hydraulic hatches, so it's just a matter of warming up the hatch crane...

As for the current and ice being a pain when docking, oh gently caress yeah, that's an issue. Now imagine there's six feet of ice stuck to the dock, won't break away, everything's slippery as gently caress and you have to use landing booms.

How landing booms don't cause ISM auditor's heads to explode, I don't know.

Oh yeah, I do know, it's because linesmen are hella expensive.

As for sea suctions, when we're light they recirculate water from the ballast tank for cooling. When we're loaded, I'm not sure what they do. We did lose a genny for a few minutes because of a frozen sea box...

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 26, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ice ops rules say you need steam or some other form of heating for your sea suctions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Ice ops rules say you need steam or some other form of heating for your sea suctions.

They got steam in the E/R, we don't have it on deck.

It's unfair. Redistribute steam! #OccupytheECR

(Seriously, we'd only need it a few times a year, there's no reason to run all that piping and that extra steam generation capacity for that.)

Edit: Everything you ever wanted to know about ice navigation, and then some: Ice Navigation in Canadian Waters

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

That's actually the school I'm gonna go to. It's still pretty expensive since I'm an out-of-state student, hence why I want to get some cash before I sign up.

Don't worry, they don't give the in-state kids much of a break :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Captain of the Rena plead guilty: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/rena-crisis/6498529/Rena-captain-pleads-guilty-to-all-charges

Just a reminder to all of you not to mess up.

In other news, it looks like liferaft HRU actually work! Awesome! (Seriously, look at those pictures :psyduck:)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, he is so absolutely hosed beyond belief - just a tip, kids - falsifying records isn't a smart move.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, he is so absolutely hosed beyond belief - just a tip, kids - falsifying records isn't a smart move.

What did he falsify exactly? Log book and passage plan? I didn't follow the case all that much.

Is the accident report out yet? Who does them in NZ? (I'm an accident report junky)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't know all the details, I'll ask my lecturers tomorrow - if they don't know they'll be able to point me in the right direction.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm on a 255m bulk carrier, that is coal powered! One of only two in the world. Pics to come, any questions ask away.

No we don't have to shovel the coal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What in the gently caress? COAL???
What, is it coal dust? That is absolutely insane!!!
Pics and full description of fuel system please!!!

EDIT: Hahahaha, I just told a mate of mine about that and he said the fuel system is simple, 15 indonesians, 15 shovels

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 1, 2012

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

What in the gently caress? COAL???
What, is it coal dust? That is absolutely insane!!!
Pics and full description of fuel system please!!!

EDIT: Hahahaha, I just told a mate of mine about that and he said the fuel system is simple, 15 indonesians, 15 shovels

The Badger is still coal on Lake Michigan, it has giant conveyors feeding a shaker-grate furnace thing with big mechanical stokers I think. Crew isn't huge. But that's the latest and greatest in American coal technology, I'm curious to hear about any other coal-fired ships out there. Tell us everything. How does the coal get to where it's burned? How do you burn it in there? How much coal do you carry and what's the range on it? What on earth ship even is this? We talk about coal ships and the pros and cons of coal CONSTANTLY here so I'd love to hear how yours works.

edit: 255m of COAL, that rules.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 1, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pazrs posted:

I'm on a 255m bulk carrier, that is coal powered! One of only two in the world. Pics to come, any questions ask away.

No we don't have to shovel the coal.

There are still coal boats around? Seriously? :confused: poo poo, steam is old fashionned, but coal-fueled steam? Crap.

Where is that thing running? Where do you get fuel? (I'm assuming "At the coal mine where we load coal", but that's not very adaptable, ain't it?)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

(I'm an accident report junky)

Let's post interesting accident reports!

Here's one about a fire on a container ship. Will teamwork overcome the blaze... and what exactly was the cause of fire?! :ohdear:

http://www.dmaib.dk/Ulykkesrapporter/CHARLOTTE_MAERSK_FIRE_07072010.pdf

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Per posted:

Hell of a fire.

Ever wondered what happens when a gas carrier has a spill?

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2005/coral_acropora.cfm

Coral Acropora posted:

The chief officer then noticed a large cloud of white vapour advancing down the deck towards him. He quickly ran aft, taking hold of the cargo surveyor and pulling him with him, hitting the emergency shutdown (ESD) button as he passed by.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

There are still coal boats around? Seriously? :confused: poo poo, steam is old fashionned, but coal-fueled steam? Crap.

Where is that thing running? Where do you get fuel? (I'm assuming "At the coal mine where we load coal", but that's not very adaptable, ain't it?)

The Badger has pulverised coal loaded by truck in Manitowoc, but was at one time able to crush its own coal. I know that dock has a rail line, so I guess they've just maintained coaling service there since the Age Of Coal. I found a pdf detailing that coal system some. http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5496.pdf

Since it's a ferry, no reason they can't keep its own dock supplied with coal, I suppose. Anyway, some of us cadets are going to go down there to see some boiler work next week, I will try to get pictures of the coal system and then we can have pictures of two working coal-fired steamers!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

Ah, the old "overriding alarms" trick. Sometimes I fear I will fall prey to that someday.

Good thing the gas vapour was visible.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Badger's kind of a special case, I think they keep it around just for the novelty. There was a big to-do about it this winter, talk of shutting it down due to new EPA regulations... But in the end they got a special permit allowing them to dump ashes in Lake Michigan, so all's well in coal-fired-ferry land.

I don't think I've ever actually *seen* the Badger, mind you... But then I don't go up that way too often.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

The Badger's kind of a special case, I think they keep it around just for the novelty. There was a big to-do about it this winter, talk of shutting it down due to new EPA regulations... But in the end they got a special permit allowing them to dump ashes in Lake Michigan, so all's well in coal-fired-ferry land.

I don't think I've ever actually *seen* the Badger, mind you... But then I don't go up that way too often.

It's a novelty (also I think its dock is at a coal plant), but it is interesting because it is intact and relatively modern. Coal fired recip in 1952? Only the railroads, I guess. Also the whole "domestic fuel" angle fascinates people.

edit: whoops, off by 6 years

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 2, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Per posted:

Here's one about a fire on a container ship. Will teamwork overcome the blaze... and what exactly was the cause of fire?! :ohdear:

http://www.dmaib.dk/Ulykkesrapporter/CHARLOTTE_MAERSK_FIRE_07072010.pdf

Jesus loving christ.

I love that something like this goes almost unreported and yet the Costa Concordia has the loving headlines for months.

I remember someone saying that seafarers mean nothing to anyone who isn't one, but it really seems to be true.

FrozenVent posted:

Hell of a fire.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2005/coral_acropora.cfm

I'm only a little way into the narrative but already the part where the CO is testing the valves and mistakenly believed the cargo to be above 98% has me going 'oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo'

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 2, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I remember someone saying that seafarers mean nothing to anyone who isn't one, but it really seems to be true.

People either don't care about us, or actively despise us for being dirty foreigners or loving up the environment. See the Costa Concordia thread in GBS, "The cruise line should hire navy-trained people! :gonk:" like that even makes sense...

Two Finger posted:

I'm only a little way into the narrative but already the part where the CO is testing the valves and mistakenly believed the cargo to be above 98% has me going 'oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo'

Wait til you get to the part about the flag, it's the best part.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

"The cruise line should hire navy-trained people! :gonk:"

I gotta find this quote.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

People either don't care about us, or actively despise us for being dirty foreigners or loving up the environment. See the Costa Concordia thread in GBS, "The cruise line should hire navy-trained people! :gonk:" like that even makes sense...

I read the GBS thread for a while and it made me so angry I had to stop.
Some clown was spouting about how cruise lines dump untreated poo poo overboard and then use the cheapest desalination plant possible to give you fresh water, with the strong implication it doesn't take the poo poo out.
I just replied 'he's wrong' and he never challenged me on it but gently caress me dead these people have no goddamned idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

] "The cruise line should hire navy-trained people! :gonk:" like that even makes sense...

A few page back someone mentioned some basic difference between seafarers and Navy, that the latter get over-specialized or something? Is that why that won't make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's just different worlds, different focus altogether. I guess there would be some crossover with the engineering side of things, but I don't know that much about Navy training - and from what I understand they get a lot of contractors in anyway.

• Locked thread