Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CaptainPsyko posted:

Well, there's Project Eternity.

Pillars of Eternity has no multiplayer or toolset aspirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pillars of Eternity has no multiplayer or toolset aspirations.

People play NWN2 (and even, less explicably, NWN) for reasons that have nothing to do with either of those things!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Do you need certain classes/skills to complete Storms of Zehir before I get started? (Aka do I need to have a thief or can I just power through traps)

MOTB was the first time I played a game and was mad that it ended since I wanted it to continue. Then I realized it was such a good game because it was able to tell a story that didn't drag on and on for 90 hours.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

People play NWN2 (and even, less explicably, NWN) for reasons that have nothing to do with either of those things!

Sure, but someone asking if there will ever be an NWN3 strongly implies they're wondering if a game will exist that focuses on the things that made NWN unique. IE, multiplayer and a heavy emphasis on modding.

You don't need NWN3 to get a strong singleplayer RPG experience.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zarfol posted:

Do you need certain classes/skills to complete Storms of Zehir before I get started? (Aka do I need to have a thief or can I just power through traps)
No specific build or skill is necesary to beat the game, so you can pretty much do what you want.

That said...
A dedicated overland map leader with either Spot or Listen, either Hide or Move Silently, Survival and Search will come in handy. Those skills will let you find and hide from enemies, move faster in swamps and more usefull things on the overland map.
Other skills like Spellcraft and Lore can also allow you to find stuff and whatnot, but you can put those skills on other characters and switch between them.
Having your main overland map leader be the first character in the party can be a really good idea as the game will auto-switch to the first character when you transition to the overland map. If you have to switch characters you can get into a situation where you can't run away from enemies for example.

Other then that, be sure to spread skills around in your party. In SoZ characters other then your main one can say things and use skills during conversations. So you can for example put points into Bluff on one characters, and points into Diplomacy on another one.
And naturally having a rogue to deal with locks and traps will come in handy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sure, but someone asking if there will ever be an NWN3 strongly implies they're wondering if a game will exist that focuses on the things that made NWN unique. IE, multiplayer and a heavy emphasis on modding.

You don't need NWN3 to get a strong singleplayer RPG experience.

There were a whole lot of things that made NWN2 uniquely great that had nothing to do with it's emphasis on modding or multiplayer options.

It's certainly the best implementation of a tabletop rules set in a CRPG that I've ever played, it has some of the best writing and narrative design of any game ever, etc. etc. and so on and so forth.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

There were a whole lot of things that made NWN2 uniquely great that had nothing to do with it's emphasis on modding or multiplayer options.

It's certainly the best implementation of a tabletop rules set in a CRPG that I've ever played, it has some of the best writing and narrative design of any game ever, etc. etc. and so on and so forth.

Can't really say I agree. The NWN campaigns are completely forgettable outside of Mask of the Betrayer, and I'm not sure that "best implementation of 3.5 D&D" is much of an accolade. If anything the games were held back by Dungeons and Dragons.

You might be literally the only person I've ever met who championed the NWN games as compelling and worthwhile single player experiences.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Really? MotB is good, but otherwise NWN2 feels to me like an awkward and clunky successor to the infinity engine games.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
ToEE's implementation of 3.5 is a lot better than NWN2's, so it doesn't even have that going for it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

On the whole I like NWN2, especially for the variety in prestige classes available once you install the right mods, but no way in hell is a real-time pausable game "the best implentation of a tabletop rules set" - specifically D&D 3.5 in this case. Look at the BS involved with casting spells, and how enemies can close you down while you're in the process of casting, making the use of AoE type spells like fireball a complete crapshoot more often than not. And the way that you really have to wrestle with the party AI to stop them from running around like idiots while you're trying to cast said spells or whatever else. Basically:

folgore posted:

ToEE's implementation of 3.5 is a lot better than NWN2's, so it doesn't even have that going for it.

ToEE reigns supreme in this area alone, i.e. how well it adapts the rules into a video game format. That's not to say that the game itself is necessarily better (although I personally think it is), and it has a shitton of its own problems, like how horribly buggy and crash-happy it is, even with - or possibly especially with - the Circle of Eight modpack, but speaking as someone who played 3rd Edition and 3.5 tabletop for a solid ten years or so, it is the only CRPG I have ever played to capture the essence of it successfully and give me anything approaching the same feeling I had playing the pen 'n paper version.

ToEE also has massive parties which is loving ace.

I just wish modders were able to add prestige classes to it, but apparently that's impossible.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Can't really say I agree. The NWN campaigns are completely forgettable outside of Mask of the Betrayer, and I'm not sure that "best implementation of 3.5 D&D" is much of an accolade. If anything the games were held back by Dungeons and Dragons.

You might be literally the only person I've ever met who championed the NWN games as compelling and worthwhile single player experiences.

I've never had more fun with a single player RPG than I had with NWN 1 and 2

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

goodness posted:

You need to play the Witcher games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

goodness posted:

This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

You need to play more RPGs. CRPGs, JRPGs, don't care there's way better from both the west and the east.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mask of the Betrayer and the NWN1 DLC where you end up in Hell (HotU?) were both awesome. The original campaign of NWN1 was meh at best, and bad at worst, the first expansion for NWN1 was... okay, the NWN2 OC had some cool moments, and SOZ was... novel, and a good concept, but flawed in execution.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Except for the NWN1 first OC, the rest of the official campaigns for both 1 and 2 are some of my gaming experiences and are in my "constant state of replay" queue.

BTW if there are any mods people need that aren't in one of the comp packs and aren't online anymore, post in the thread. If need be, I'm happy to host more stuff on my hosting.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've been to the Neverwinter Vault-the back up project-and frankly its an organizational mess-unless I'm missing something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've been to the Neverwinter Vault-the back up project-and frankly its an organizational mess-unless I'm missing something?
No, neverwintervault.org is still very much a work in progress. They do have all the files of the old NWVault backed up, but I think they're waiting on some codework to be done before they start uploading everything.

Edit: This got lost on the last page, so I'll repost it.
It looks like the Vault hasn't gone away (yet), just the DNS entry. The same thing happened about a year ago and IGN did fix whatever got screwed up then. For now you can still access the site by going to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Make a backup of the "hosts" file and then add this entry:
69.10.25.55 nwvault.ign.com

If for some reason this doesn't work you and you want a file of the vault, just ask for it and I'll see if I can reupload it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 28, 2014

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
A redirect to the wiki page for Cryptic's Neverwinter. I couldn't have thought up a crueler fate for the Vault even if I had tried.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It must have been automated - surely no human would confuse the two.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

You need to play more RPGs. CRPGs, JRPGs, don't care there's way better from both the west and the east.

I mean, a lot of it is I played them as a kid/teenager and games were so much better before I used the internet.

But I tried a couple of the main RPGs and they were just not fun. Skyrim was pretty boring, ME was eh. Nothing has ever captured the feel NWN had for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

goodness posted:

I mean, a lot of it is I played them as a kid/teenager and games were so much better before I used the internet.

But I tried a couple of the main RPGs and they were just not fun. Skyrim was pretty boring, ME was eh. Nothing has ever captured the feel NWN had for me.

The main question is why did you enjoy them. Could be "everything was better when I was fourteen" syndrome holding you back, that holds back a lot of people from enjoying legitimately good things, but it might be you just plain like RPGs for different reasons. The writing in NWN by and large is aggressively mediocre, when there even is any, so I would be surprised if it was the story that kept you coming back. So what constitutes that "feel"?

Could just be that you like dungeons and dragons and/or Faerun. Maybe it's the loot element, NWN is borderline Diablo-esque.

KittyEmpress posted:

Mask of the Betrayer and the NWN1 DLC where you end up in Hell (HotU?) were both awesome. The original campaign of NWN1 was meh at best, and bad at worst, the first expansion for NWN1 was... okay, the NWN2 OC had some cool moments, and SOZ was... novel, and a good concept, but flawed in execution.

For the life of me, I cannot actually remember what happened in Shadows of Undrentide

GNOME GETS KILLED ---> DEEKIN? ---> ???? ---> FLOATING CITY

That's all I got.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 28, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm pretty sure you end up in the floating city after a medusa turns you to stone in the desert which you traveled to with the halfling caravan.

Also your master isn't a gnome (or maybe he was actually, dude looks like a dwarf at least dunno) nor does he get killed in the beginning. :v:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 28, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure you end up in the floating city after a medusa turns you to stone in the desert which you traveled to with the halfling caravan.

Also your master isn't a gnome (or maybe he was actually, dude looks like a dwarf at least dunno) nor does he get killed in the beginning. :v:

I know there was some kind of KERFUFFLE in the village he's training adventurers in at the start so maybe I just assumed his death. Who even knows. It's all so very unmemorable. :effort:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

For the life of me, I cannot actually remember what happened in Shadows of Undrentide

GNOME GETS KILLED ---> DEEKIN? ---> ???? ---> FLOATING CITY

That's all I got.

The main bad guy was a Medusa, other than that I remember about as much, though I remember enjoying the smaller scale of the story.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Naw, he gets stabbed and his stuff gets stolen by kobolds but he doesn't actually get offed until later.

The one thing I always remember from SoU is how hilariously over the top the battle music was in the first chapter when you're running around as a level 1 dude struggling against kobolds and stabbing cows for experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-UY-wlGhg

And yeah, all battle musics (and only them) in NWN 1 are 10 minutes long for whatever reason.

E:

This also reminded me that HotU had a great soundtrack, what a great expansion that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXpmmvtnYXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46yzCB82kA

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Undrentide was not good either, it just seemed decent compared to the terribad that was the NWN1 OC. HotU was 3 acts completely disconnected from one another but otherwise it was pretty good. At least it had ambition.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scorchy posted:

it just seemed decent compared to the terribad that was the NWN1 OC.
Pretty sure there was no "seemed" about it, I remember it being refreshing after OC

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jackard posted:

Pretty sure there was no "seemed" about it, I remember it being refreshing after OC

That's the point. The OC lowered the bar so much you were refreshed.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NWN1's campaigns were not very good. HotU is the best of a bad lot, and it's decent at best.

NWN2... I mean, the OC definitely has it's flaws, but I think it holds up pretty well at the end of the day, :argh: Orc Caves not withstanding, and Mask more than makes up for any shortcomings it has.

SoZ is a fun little jaunt and not anything special, but whatever, that's not really what i'm talking about.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that MotB redeems any failures of the NWN2 OC, and, by extension, elevates NWN2 to be among the greatest RPG's ever made for the PC. You're free to disagree with me and all, but this whole 'acting like I'm from another planet where taste doesn't exist' thing is kind of rude and not particularly interesting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To be blunt, NWN2 has one of the clunkiest and most poorly done interfaces I have ever seen. We traded radial menus for cludgy drop downs. Graphically the game borders on uncanny valley, with some seriously hideous plastic doll models. I mean hell NWN1 at least had the good sense to not try and be realistic looking and could fall back on stylization and deliberate cartooning as a defense. NWN2 tries to look realistic and fails hard. Couple that with a bland OC who's first act is an uninteresting slog through beastial tribal race after bestial tribal race and...

What I'm getting at here man is that I love Obsidian but they were deservedly slammed like hell for NWN2. It is a bad game. Looks bad, controls bad, paced bad. It is by far Obsidians worst work and I encourage you to try out anything else they've made.

Mask of the Betrayer and multiplayer are really the only things that justify it's existence.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
So I should try Witcher?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

goodness posted:

So I should try Witcher?

gently caress yes, holy poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

goodness posted:

So I should try Witcher?

That is not an Obsidian game but yes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I mean, yeah, NWN2 doesn't look great and controls like poo poo, I'm not going to even argue with you about both of those things.

They are both also pretty high up on the list of things that "if I can put up with it, I don't care about it beyond that", and NWN2 (admittedly barely) passes that muster for me, so /shrug.

(And yes, I've played all of Obsidian's other work. KOTOR 2 suffers from being unfinished, Alpha Protocol is great, New Vegas is one of my favorite games ever, and so is NWN2.

I get it. You disagree. That's cool and all, but I don't see why you need to poo poo all over everyone who enjoys a game for reasons different from the reasons that you liked it.

goodness posted:

So I should try Witcher?

Yeah, the Witcher games are great.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

goodness posted:

So I should try Witcher?

I really didn't like The Witcher and I'm almost always wrong about video games so yea go for it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CaptainPsyko posted:

I get it. You disagree. That's cool and all, but I don't see why you need to poo poo all over everyone who enjoys a game for reasons different from the reasons that you liked it.

Check out the Dragon Age thread, and all will be made clear.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Case in point re: my bad opinions: I had a lot more fun with the NWN2 OC than MotB. It's probably entirely due to expectations though. Whenever something gets hyped to the degree that MotB was I almost always am disappointed with it. I never even finished MotB. I checked out a save I made last time I tried to get through it and I'm almost to the end of the wizard academy thing. So almost to the final act I think?

But on the flipside, people are so hyperbolic about how "bad" NWN2 OC is that when I found it to be average to pretty good I ended up having a lot of fun with it. Plus I think the NWN2 gameplay just works a lot better at low to mid levels. It gets silly at epic levels. Which isn't anything new to D&D. And gameplay tends to make or break games for me. See also: my opinion re: The Witcher, which had pretty terrible gameplay.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Case in point re: my bad opinions: I had a lot more fun with the NWN2 OC than MotB. It's probably entirely due to expectations though. Whenever something gets hyped to the degree that MotB was I almost always am disappointed with it. I never even finished MotB. I checked out a save I made last time I tried to get through it and I'm almost to the end of the wizard academy thing. So almost to the final act I think?

But on the flipside, people are so hyperbolic about how "bad" NWN2 OC is that when I found it to be average to pretty good I ended up having a lot of fun with it. Plus I think the NWN2 gameplay just works a lot better at low to mid levels. It gets silly at epic levels. Which isn't anything new to D&D. And gameplay tends to make or break games for me. See also: my opinion re: The Witcher, which had pretty terrible gameplay.

Did you play the first or the second Witcher or both

Because the first one is, yes, completely godawful gameplay and I can't really stand it personally. Some people can! poo poo is way cludgy though.

It's a shame because there are some really cool story bits buried underneath it but I ultimately found a story synopsis more worthwhile than enduring the gameplay myself.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

First one. My computer couldn't handle the sequel at the time. I could play it fine now though. Maybe I'll try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

First one. My computer couldn't handle the sequel at the time. I could play it fine now though. Maybe I'll try it.

Can't stand the first one, enjoyed the second. So it's worth a shot I'd say.

• Locked thread