Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Continuing on in a blue setting, more Bug's Life.

It's a two in one, since some levels (like the boss level, here), don't need their own video. I can't be arsed splitting them up, lazy git that I am. Enjoy!

Oh, and level 4 is not the worst level in the game, it's pretty neat, I was thinking of level 5, which is pretty bad, but there are some strong contenders, I'll be honest. We'll get to them soon enough...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
On the subject of Toy Story, the army men have never failed to leave me gasping and in tears from laughing. When I saw 2 in the theatre, people were turning around to look at me during the army men scenes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
A Bug's Life was indeed the second movie Pixar made following Toy Story, the TS movies were spread out so to give people just enough to not grow tired of them.

On New Groove, the restaurant is a level itself but I thought that it was part of Jungle Day.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 8, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Chimera-gui posted:

On New Groove, the restaurant is a level itself but I thought that it was part of Jungle Day.

We get to see the restaurant yes, but we won't go inside it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I RETURN

WITH THIS

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 13, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FinalGamer posted:

I RETURN

WITH THIS

That RC level is just as slippery and awkward on the Genesis as well.

Also I think the health counter on the Buzz fight actually starts at 4 instead of making 0 a hit. In fact thinking about it, I think it is actually 4 planet icons on the top of the screen instead of a counter.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

indeed it is that way. That's also the way it works for all of the other boss fights in the Genesis version, the Claw will always use up a coin before it attacks

edit: hey fellow Disney Adventure reader :hfive:

Aces High fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 9, 2014

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

God that RV level. I remember renting the Toy Story game from Blockbuster when I was a kid and returning it after getting way too many game overs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

gently caress that RC level. The controls for it are terrible. Left and right are from the car's perspective, not yours. I was never able to wrap my head around this. I know that isometric racing games work this way, but I never played those. The only racing game I played was Mario Kart, and Mario Kart had a sensible control scheme!

That level was a brick wall the first time I rented the game. I couldn't get past it. Stupid controls...

Also, I never realized as a kid that Woody attacks with his pull-string. :downs: I thought he had a lariat, you know... being a cowboy and all.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Aces High posted:

edit: hey fellow Disney Adventure reader :hfive:
Yeah, I used to have a subscription to that magazine when I was a kid, it was great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think I read them up to 2007, just because I REALLY cared about Disney stuff. Then the magazine became less and less about the cartoons and the video games (or more about Kingdom Hearts and I wasn't interested/didn't have a means to play those games) and hell even less and less about the movies, and became more about the Disney Club and the Jonas Brothers and all the other poo poo that came from there. One day my mom asked if we should continue the subscription and I said "well, I'm not really reading them any more so it's fine" and what do you know, the magazine got cancelled not too long after.

That magazine was the poo poo when I was growing up, though. I wager it was to me what Nintendo Power was to kids who HAD Nintendo :v:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, I used to have a subscription to that magazine when I was a kid, it was great.

I remember really liking the comics, especially that mega crossover between all the disney afternoon shows with that evil demon in a crystal.

Edit:It was called Legend of the Chaos God, and here it is:
http://www.platypuscomix.net/otherpeople2/solego.html

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DA also introduced me to Bone, ahhhhh good times :allears:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall there being a subtle difference with how the batteries pop out of Buzz between the two consoles, with one being more influenced by the direction you hit him from than the other. I forget which is which, though.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I remember really liking the comics, especially that mega crossover between all the disney afternoon shows with that evil demon in a crystal.

Edit:It was called Legend of the Chaos God, and here it is:
http://www.platypuscomix.net/otherpeople2/solego.html

You are my new favorite person for alerting me to the fact that someone put this online. It was a ride in 1994.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Continuing on in a blue setting, more Bug's Life.

It's a two in one, since some levels (like the boss level, here), don't need their own video. I can't be arsed splitting them up, lazy git that I am. Enjoy!

Oh, and level 4 is not the worst level in the game, it's pretty neat, I was thinking of level 5, which is pretty bad, but there are some strong contenders, I'll be honest. We'll get to them soon enough...
I finally caught up and...oh god

oh god no :gonk: this is gonna terrify me badly, and I will be honest, Bug's Life is my least-favourite Pixar Movie. Not that I find it a bad movie, it's a great movie. I just...never got into it as much as the other movies even though Kevin Spacey makes an awesome villain.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I guess it was still early days for Pixar, going from the success of Toy Story. There's no real success in this game...

Let's get some slog out of the way, this'll be the only video to have three levels, due to their varying sizes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Crosspeice posted:

I guess it was still early days for Pixar, going from the success of Toy Story. There's no real success in this game...

Let's get some slog out of the way, this'll be the only video to have three levels, due to their varying sizes.

From what I've been able to find (which is not a lot) those color spewing orbs are only there to mark where you've been. Kind of like marking a tree with an X for path finding.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Ohhhhh so THAT'S what I did wrong as a kid, you weren't meant to touch the ground.
Dammit, now I'm scared to see that scene, it was loving horrifying to see as a kid :smith: I don't think any other death scene in a game scarred me that much and I refuse to play this game again because of it.

What were you saying about the composer of the movie and this game by the way? I was quite curious to hear more about that, was this game not composed by Blythe and Joustra, the resident Traveller's Tales composers?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 12, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Whoops, I got my information wrong. Roddy McDowell plays Mr. Soil, who is actually in the Tutorial I skipped over. That's the last work he did before he died. The composer of the film, Randy Newman is what I was thinking when we were talking about music and somehow put the two together. You are right that Blythe and Joustra did the music for the game, as well as Mickey Mania and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex. I'll correct myself in a future video.

And I also remembered that the game itself was released in NA for the PS1 a whole week before the movie came out! Ah, those were the days...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 13, 2014

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Crosspeice posted:

Whoops, I got my information wrong. Roddy McDowell plays Mr. Soil, who is actually in the Tutorial I skipped over. That's the last work he did before he died. The composer of the film, Randy Newman is what I was thinking when we were talking about music and somehow put the two together. You are right that Blythe and Joustra did the music for the game, as well as Mickey Mania and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex. I'll correct myself in a future video.

This fully vindicates my Crash Bandicoot comparisons :colbert:.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Emperor's New Groove

Level 4-2 Jungle Day

Having played through the entire game now, I can say this is my least favorite level in the whole game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mateo360 posted:

From what I've been able to find (which is not a lot) those color spewing orbs are only there to mark where you've been. Kind of like marking a tree with an X for path finding.

Also :psyduck:

That does nothing in the levels, some of them are confusing messes regardless, others just don't need them. Ah whatever, I feel like I'm doing something when I activate them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Okay! Sorry I took so long in whipping this up, but it's finally time to play Disney's Aladdin for the Sega Genesis! Let Aces High, Mateo360 and I show you through the first three stages of the game:

I'm still a bit new to Vegas, so if there's something glaringly wrong, technically-speaking, don't hesitate to correct me. (For instance, I used a Video Supersampling value of 5 to try and make the parts where Aladdin's flashing every other frame not simply make him vanish outright, but now I'm wondering if it's juddering a lot.)

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I loved this game as a kid. I didn't even know there WAS a SNES version until recently.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Also :psyduck:

That does nothing in the levels, some of them are confusing messes regardless, others just don't need them. Ah whatever, I feel like I'm doing something when I activate them.

Next time on Sleeping Bugs, Wei Shen-tipede uncovers the latest plot behind the big city corruption.

That music was pretty good though, also I just noticed they changed Flik's model and actually gave him a leaf backpack which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the first couple of levels. That's neat :downs:

Shadow Hog posted:

Okay! Sorry I took so long in whipping this up, but it's finally time to play Disney's Aladdin for the Sega Genesis! Let Aces High, Mateo360 and I show you through the first three stages of the game:

I'm still a bit new to Vegas, so if there's something glaringly wrong, technically-speaking, don't hesitate to correct me. (For instance, I used a Video Supersampling value of 5 to try and make the parts where Aladdin's flashing every other frame not simply make him vanish outright, but now I'm wondering if it's juddering a lot.)
I don't even know how Vegas works but this seems pretty great work so far man, keep it up! Definitely appreciate this addition to the thread since I loved this game as a kid, this was one of those games that the whole family sat around to watch.
I especially appreciate the amazing text correction work, that's pretty stellar right there. Can't wait to see more. What do the WISH papers do if you buy them from the merchant?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 15, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

That music was pretty good though, also I just noticed they changed Flik's model and actually gave him a leaf backpack which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the first couple of levels. That's neat :downs:

Yeah, he gets a backpack after during the canyon and city level sets. I don't remember if he keeps it when he returns to Ant Island but I don't think he does.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

What do the WISH papers do if you buy them from the merchant?
Extra continues. Kinda worthless if you don't die enough to make 'em worth it (since extra lives are plentiful in the game), but I buy 'em more often because, well, I like collecting extra lives, and if you have a full set of 9, the collectible ones don't spawn.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah, he gets a backpack after during the canyon and city level sets. I don't remember if he keeps it when he returns to Ant Island but I don't think he does.

But I found the amazing disappearing leaf hat a sign of just sheer laziness. If you are going to do the backpack, go all the way...

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Witness the terribleness that is Alice in Wonderland:

It's for the Gameboy Color, Killrrhubarb, not the Gameboy Advanced. Get your facts right!

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Finally, someone's gonna rip a new one for this game. I played it as a kid and it was drat hard, and already I'm discovering something new about it. Have fun with the stupid rolling boulders in the cave.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Killrrhubarb posted:

It's for the Gameboy Color, Killrrhubarb, not the Gameboy Advanced. Get your facts right!

Gonna give them points for going as far out as they could for a Gameboy Colour game but still, why?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Did I just have a bad video moment, or was Alice just one big colored blur?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

:aaa: Wow, I played this game a ton and I never knew about half the stuff you found! Eagerly awaiting more.

Killrrhubarb posted:

A bad game about a bad movie. That's all I have to say.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Samizdata posted:

Did I just have a bad video moment, or was Alice just one big colored blur?

Nope, Alice is one big coloured Blur. It's pretty terrible.

Silver Falcon posted:

And I have to agree with you. I love the American McGee Alice games, though, they seem based on the book.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

I think the live action movie was worse.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Killrrhubarb posted:

And I have to agree with you. I love the American McGee Alice games, though, they seem based on the book.
I love the movie but then I love all the Disney animated canon so don't listen to me :D it's one of the few Disney movies that legitimately makes me laugh with the Dodo saying "STOP KICKING THAT MACKEREL!"

So holy gently caress this game looks terrible, also why the hell is this animation so drat smooth? It's like that Daffy Duck game all over again on the GBC, the one FutureFriend covered in the Looney Tunes Megathread.
Like, the rest of the game is just godawful and the palette is ugh, but man Alice moves real smoothly in this! But yeah this game is bad. American McGee's games were awesome though, definitely based on the book since the doorknob was Disney's invention and Disney for some reason had no Mock Turtle in their version.
JustAFriend did a fantastic LP now finished of the sequel, Madness Returns, that I recommend people go check out if you want more proper Alice goodness.

You'd think someone at Disney would jump at the chance to animate a turtle with a bull's head but apparently not!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Time to get out of the city, since I guess we're done or whatever, movie based video games never have the best plots...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Emperor's New Groove

Level 4-3 Jungle Day

(read after video)
Yes, a "frog"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hooray! Does this mean we get a change of scenery, finally?

Also, gently caress you! Those things terrified me as a child! :gonk:

• Locked thread