Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The only thing I noticed about her is that Allen spends all his free time with her. Considering he got cut it might have benefited him to take her on vacation in the off-season or something, cause poo poo man. I mean other rookies are ignoring their newborn children, your chick can take a few weekends at home instead of out golfing.

He did seem to enjoy his off field life, doesnt he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, I know. It just sort of struck me as getting drunk the night before a job interview but it's probably just that those excursions with his girlfriend are the only things he's done on the show worthy of note.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, I know. It just sort of struck me as getting drunk the night before a job interview but it's probably just that those excursions with his girlfriend are the only things he's done on the show worthy of note.

Probably. That camp has to be so loving stressful that you have to do other poo poo or youd go crazy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I absolutely love Brian Cox getting grilled by his wife about how the defense is going to play week one. That poo poo is awesome.

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I haven't watched the Falcons preseason games, but I'm not happy about the cuts this episode. Jacques Smith showed a ton of fire and I loved that, I think he needed a bit more time to develop, but what I saw in this show demonstrated that he has the character and intangibles that Starr is lacking. Dude definitely deserved that spot imo, and I hope he succeeds.

Amsterdam's injury is a drat shame. That kid showed a lot of flashes and he definitely has the measurables to be incredible. We're deep at receiver, but I wouldn't mind stashing him on the PS so we can get an infinitesmally small shot at a mini-Megatron. There's very little as tragic as an injury during the last day of practice.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You've got to pay attention to a woman that fine.

p.s. Devin Hester wears jorts :laffo:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

This season definitely ended on a higher note than it started. I was glad to see a couple of those young guys land on the practice squad, and hopefully Boldewijn gets his second shot soon.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jim Harbaugh posted:

I haven't watched the Falcons preseason games, but I'm not happy about the cuts this episode. Jacques Smith showed a ton of fire and I loved that, I think he needed a bit more time to develop, but what I saw in this show demonstrated that he has the character and intangibles that Starr is lacking. Dude definitely deserved that spot imo, and I hope he succeeds.

You've got to pay attention to a woman that fine.

p.s. Devin Hester wears jorts :laffo:

Smith needs A LOT of work so that cut wasnt shocking, good to see him on PS. I was shocked Starr made it after a lackluster camp and preseason. Coaches must see something.

As far as Amsterdam, I'd be shocked if Atlanta didn't lock that kid up. With his size and potential, they would be dumb to part ways with him at this point. I dont know all the nfl jargon, did they basically put him on the preseason version of PUP or?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

No way Boldewjin doesn't get another shot. He has too much natural ability. He's got the type of skill-set that gets tons of chances, no matter how bad you are.

I didn't much care for how this season started, but these last couple episodes were incredibly well done. I think they did a good job of focusing on fewer rookies and letting their stories develop, which made these cuts much more powerful. It also made me like the Falcons more.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

Jim Harbaugh posted:

Amsterdam's injury is a drat shame. That kid showed a lot of flashes and he definitely has the measurables to be incredible. We're deep at receiver, but I wouldn't mind stashing him on the PS so we can get an infinitesmally small shot at a mini-Megatron. There's very little as tragic as an injury during the last day of practice.

"We're?"

Did you forget to switch back from your gimmick account before you posted this?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Claw Massage posted:

"We're?"

Free Lloyd Christmas.

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Claw Massage posted:

"We're?"

I mean the Niners. We are deep at receiver at the moment. With Johnson, Boldin, and Crabs we are top 10 easy at WR. I still want Amsterdam though because his skills are so rare.

And when I say we I don't mean to imply that I'm literally Jimmy H, I mean we as fans. So don't get your panties in a bunch there either, Miss Marple.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

Smith needs A LOT of work so that cut wasnt shocking, good to see him on PS. I was shocked Starr made it after a lackluster camp and preseason. Coaches must see something.

As far as Amsterdam, I'd be shocked if Atlanta didn't lock that kid up. With his size and potential, they would be dumb to part ways with him at this point. I dont know all the nfl jargon, did they basically put him on the preseason version of PUP or?

He was given an injury settlement IIRC so they work out an agreement on the number of weeks his injury would have hampered him, pay him for those weeks as if he were on IR, then after that period ends, he would have to wait six more weeks to be able to resign with the original team.

Given what Mike Smith said, it was probably a very minimal settlement for Amsterdam.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Jesus those Jag uniforms.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jim Harbaugh posted:

I mean the Niners. We are deep at receiver at the moment. With Johnson, Boldin, and Crabs we are top 10 easy at WR. I still want Amsterdam though because his skills are so rare.

And when I say we I don't mean to imply that I'm literally Jimmy H, I mean we as fans. So don't get your panties in a bunch there either, Miss Marple.

Calm down, Jim. And ease up on the lovely detective references. If anything he needs to stop getting his panties in a bunch like Jessica Fletcher.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Calm down, Jim. And ease up on the lovely detective references. If anything he needs to stop getting his panties in a bunch like Jessica Fletcher.

Murder,

She Wrote

___________________________/

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
how common is it for a guy to coach a position he never played like Bryan Cox?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It happens. Mark Carrier was the d-line coach for the Jets a couple years back. Hue Jackson was a quarterback and coached running backs and defensive secondary with the Bengals.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheBizzness posted:

I want to say it's fairly common but at the least it's not close to unheard of.

Glancing over the Chiefs coaches since I hadn't looked it up and was curious it seems to be a pretty good mix. Andy Reid obviously never played QB past his pass punt kick days but made his coaching bones there, a few other guys have coached about every position under the sun. Then there's Eric Bieniemy who's been coaching for 15 years now and never coached anything other than running backs.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

Mike Tice played tight end, albeit in an era that TE might as well have meant "Extra Tackle". In any event, he knows about how offensive line play works, and Brian Cox (Linebacker) knows about how defensive fronts work. This also explains why he's so drat tight with the LB coach. I thought that might have been a common thing, but I think Cox is sort of in charge of the whole front 7.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I heard Pat Kirwin talk about this on NFL Radio. He said it is very common nowadays because it allows a guy familiar with one position to bring his expertise to other positions. For example, a former offensive lineman can teach running backs how to block, or a former wide receiver can teach tight ends how to run routes.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheBizzness posted:

It's actually very common. Physical expertise at one position doesn't necessarily guarantee being able to teach it. I would say a majority of coaches stick with what they know, but anyone who reaches the higher ranks almost always has spent time coaching something they didn't, themselves, actually do as a player. Another NFL guy to think about is Eric Mangini (former Jets HC; current 49ers TE coach). He only played defense (linebacker, nose tackle) in high school or college, but he earned his way to the very top based on his ability to coach offense.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Man, Mike Smith seems like such a kind, caring guy. Really like him after this show. It makes his on-field fight with DeAngelo Hall even more funny in retrospect

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I was sad we didn't get more Mike Tice working his way up to head coach through schmoozing

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Out of curiosity, has the show changed anyone's opinions on the Falcons as a whole? It seemed like the franchise really didn't have a lot of love both on the forums and nationally, and rightfully so I suppose, but has it changed your mind at all? I see Pron mentioned he liked Mike Smith, I'm just wondering if others shared any similar thoughts.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It made the Falcons seem as bland and boring and lifeless as I was assuming they were. Really wanted to see some Steven Jackson who seems to to be the only interesting person in the organization but sadly injuries happen.

When the climax of the series is the coaches phone call to a guy so lifeless and void of charisma or personality that no amount of heavy slow mo and dramatic music could infuse any emotion into the scene at all then you know you're in trouble. Just kind of felt bad for the hard knocks crew, they tried but nothing really landed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'd say my opinion changed, yeah. I don't follow the NFL as closely as college and for some reason assumed the Falcons were a.....trashy? (I don't know the word I'm looking for....sleazy? Must have been residual Michael Vick sleaze) organization. Now I realize they are a pretty classy (if not boring) organization. But seriously....everyone from Arthur Blank, to the GM, to Mike Smith and Matt Ryan. They're all really boring people. Mike Smith makes Marvin Lewis look like Mr. Personality.

But I will say I've never seen so many cut players gushing over an organization the way they did for the Falcons this year. That's gotta say something.

Then again, I guess when teams like the Bengals are waking up players at the rear end crack of dawn and telling them to GTFO, its easy to look classy that your head coach and GM personally and politely explain to each player that they're cut.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yeah, I guess the organization didn't do much in the way of making themselves NOT look boring, because that is seriously who they are. They aren't there to make headlines, they are there to win football games, which for the most part they have succeeded at year after year. As someone mentioned, they went polar opposite of the Vick/Petrino era on purpose, and this is the result.

I think Dmitroff came off like an uber douchebag. I actually thought I was going to hate Mike Smith more because of the show, but I actually find myself liking him more. I think they spent the right amount of time on the rookies, they seemed to feature Hageman, Freeman, Starr and Smith.

Also Pryor, if you think Steven Jackson, or anyone for that matter, is more interesting than Bryan Cox than you are just flat out wrong :v:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I like Smith more, I like Dimitroff less.

Also, the intent wasn't to go polar opposite of Vick/Petrino, but to start emulating the success of the Steelers by building through the draft, keeping consistent coaching and management, and winning football games so they can develop a perennial fanbase.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I like Smith more, I like Dimitroff less.

Also, the intent wasn't to go polar opposite of Vick/Petrino, but to start emulating the success of the Steelers by building through the draft, keeping consistent coaching and management, and winning football games so they can develop a perennial fanbase.

Steelers? If anything, I would say they are trying to emulate the Patriots with the TD/NE connection. I also sincerely think that after the Vick and Petrino debacle that the main focus was to bring in a head coach that would not rock the boat and would emphasize doing it "the right way" and a GM that would target character over talent. poo poo, they had the Falcon Filter for the longest time where they wouldn't give the time of day to a player if they had any off the field issues. Throw in Matt Ryan's token squeaky clean quarterback persona and you have the polar opposite of what Vick/Petrino exemplified.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
No opinion of the Falcons going in. No opinion of the Falcons coming out. Though that is not entirely bad, they managed to not Bengal themselves, but I don't think they are going to see an uptick in anything outside of local pottery class enrollment.

I think the ultimate loser was the image of Atlantan real estate. Lots of tacky homes and horrible interior design. That poor abused tree.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Shath Hole posted:

Yeah, I guess the organization didn't do much in the way of making themselves NOT look boring, because that is seriously who they are. They aren't there to make headlines, they are there to win football games, which for the most part they have succeeded at year after year. As someone mentioned, they went polar opposite of the Vick/Petrino era on purpose, and this is the result.

I think Dmitroff came off like an uber douchebag. I actually thought I was going to hate Mike Smith more because of the show, but I actually find myself liking him more. I think they spent the right amount of time on the rookies, they seemed to feature Hageman, Freeman, Starr and Smith.

Also Pryor, if you think Steven Jackson, or anyone for that matter, is more interesting than Bryan Cox than you are just flat out wrong :v:

The rookies were pretty good for the most part. I really liked watching Freeman this season. His naivete coming in was so endearing ("they can hit me?!") and his kid-in-a-candy-shop reaction to things like the pedicure and the La-Z-Boy were funny. I have to agree with Pryor about Starr though. The only interesting moment he brought to the table was when he got burned hard by his kid during the first preseason game.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Freaquency posted:

The rookies were pretty good for the most part. I really liked watching Freeman this season. His naivete coming in was so endearing ("they can hit me?!") and his kid-in-a-candy-shop reaction to things like the pedicure and the La-Z-Boy were funny. I have to agree with Pryor about Starr though. The only interesting moment he brought to the table was when he got burned hard by his kid during the first preseason game.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree on Starr. He brought nothing to the show other than his awesome kid and semi-attractive fiancee.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

Out of curiosity, has the show changed anyone's opinions on the Falcons as a whole? It seemed like the franchise really didn't have a lot of love both on the forums and nationally, and rightfully so I suppose, but has it changed your mind at all? I see Pron mentioned he liked Mike Smith, I'm just wondering if others shared any similar thoughts.

I like the organization more but I now understand why they're probably just going to perpetually sit on the edge of success.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Steelers? If anything, I would say they are trying to emulate the Patriots with the TD/NE connection. I also sincerely think that after the Vick and Petrino debacle that the main focus was to bring in a head coach that would not rock the boat and would emphasize doing it "the right way" and a GM that would target character over talent. poo poo, they had the Falcon Filter for the longest time where they wouldn't give the time of day to a player if they had any off the field issues. Throw in Matt Ryan's token squeaky clean quarterback persona and you have the polar opposite of what Vick/Petrino exemplified.

I'm taking my statements from an Arthur Blank interview I saw a few years ago. He specifically mentioned the Steelers as an organization they wanted to emulate.

It was more like, they surveyed the franchises with historical success and tried to model themselves after the commonalities, so yeah, NE would be in that discussion.

edit:

For what it's worth he also specifically mentioned the Browns as an organization to not be like.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 5, 2014

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Shath Hole posted:

I've always felt like the Falcons were the nice guys of the NFL. Its very easy team to root for, filled with high character athletes, who are never particularly threatening in their attempts to make a post-season run. The show just confirmed all of that.

If I played football, Mike Smith would be real high on the list of guys I'd want to be my head coach.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shath Hole posted:

I've always liked the Falcons but my view on Matt Ryan was that he was really bland. Not Joe Flacco boring where you're so boring you circle back around to amazing but local Staples store manager who really would prefer it if you guys didn't use foul language on the premises; yes Terry, I am including the employee lounge, boring.

And Ryan is a little boring but I was surprised to find that the character traits that most stuck out were his QB competence, casual leadership, and overwhelming goodness. Matt Ryan seems like a really really good dude. He took the time to talk to his injured linemen. He was engaged and helpful with getting everybody up to speed on the offense without coming of as authoritarian. Most of all though Ryan was great with the fans, especially kids. It seemed like he made an effort to make sure each fan had a special experience meeting him and that is one of coolest things any sports icon can do.

Also, since the Ravens are playing the Falcons this year, I was glad to see that despite drafting Jake Matthews and Ra'shede Hageman, who seem pretty good, the offensive and defensive lines in Atlanta are pretty weak.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Also, since the Ravens are playing the Falcons this year, I was glad to see that despite drafting Jake Matthews and Ra'shede Hageman, who seem pretty good, the offensive and defensive lines in Atlanta are pretty weak.

:negative:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Seriously, every loving year. Although I have guarded optimism for our DLine with the additions of Soliai and Jackson who seem to be doing their jobs so far. We will find out Sunday!

I would loving love Soliai and Hageman introducing their big bodied selves to Drew on Sunday :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

And Ryan is a little boring but I was surprised to find that the character traits that most stuck out were his QB competence, casual leadership, and overwhelming goodness. Matt Ryan seems like a really really good dude. He took the time to talk to his injured linemen. He was engaged and helpful with getting everybody up to speed on the offense without coming of as authoritarian. Most of all though Ryan was great with the fans, especially kids. It seemed like he made an effort to make sure each fan had a special experience meeting him and that is one of coolest things any sports icon can do.
Yeah, same here. I definitely respect the way Ryan works, acts and tries to make his team better.

• Locked thread