Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Glad to hear you made it! Living in London is a really great and interesting life experience. It's also fantastic to leave, once you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

nice one mate :D

alsol lol at that article.

also i saw a tV program the other day where all this rich white mid-twenties kids are going to these 'find a flatemate' parties because they're still recoiling in shock that they can't live the exact same lifestyle they had in the home counties on £500 a month. theyre all crying on camera about the conditions they're being 'forced to live in' lmao. i get that rent prices are mad, but what the hell are people expecting.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
what doest kill you makes you stronger op

except living in london which turns you into a broke sack of bones

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

opus111 posted:

nice one mate :D

alsol lol at that article.

also i saw a tV program the other day where all this rich white mid-twenties kids are going to these 'find a flatemate' parties because they're still recoiling in shock that they can't live the exact same lifestyle they had in the home counties on £500 a month. theyre all crying on camera about the conditions they're being 'forced to live in' lmao. i get that rent prices are mad, but what the hell are people expecting.

I am consistently amazed by the media - the BBC is a serial offender - bringing up the concept of "shared living" as though they're conducting some kind of bizarre anthropological study. Like, not just the old fogeys, the 20-something middle-class journalists. Even if you're a spoilt twat from Oxfordshire, didn't you grow up watching Friends and Spaced and How I Met Your Mother?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also I should mention I'm coming up on my year anniversary of living in London, and I don't outright hate it, but I am leaving in another month and I'm sooooo looking forward to it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

freebooter posted:

I am consistently amazed by the media - the BBC is a serial offender - bringing up the concept of "shared living" as though they're conducting some kind of bizarre anthropological study. Like, not just the old fogeys, the 20-something middle-class journalists. Even if you're a spoilt twat from Oxfordshire, didn't you grow up watching Friends and Spaced and How I Met Your Mother?

this is because of the british obsession with owning your own house

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Australians are also obsessed with owning their own homes - more so, I'd say - but I've never seen an Australian journalist drop his monocle in his brandy because he discovered some 30-year-olds living in a sharehouse.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

freebooter posted:

Australians are also obsessed with owning their own homes - more so, I'd say - but I've never seen an Australian journalist drop his monocle in his brandy because he discovered some 30-year-olds living in a sharehouse.

despite the west country/northern voice overs the BBC is staffed almost entirely by people who make Jeeves look like a scrub.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
OP have you started drinking yet

opus111 posted:

What show is this, I could do with some schadenfreude.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Nope. Not drinking. And I'm working at a pub :-P

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

glitchkrieg posted:

OP have you started drinking yet

It's only been two weeks, he still *likes* London.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tentish klown posted:

It's only been two weeks, he still *likes* London.

Also he hasn't had to endure a grueling grey winter where the sky closes in and all the loving streets are the same miserable piles of bricks, sick, and kebab shops and the sun goes down at 3pm.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 30, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

Nope. Not drinking. And I'm working at a pub :-P

Dude, how can you work at a pub and not know what the beers etc taste like?

oh it's one of THOSE pubs isn't it

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If it hasn't somehow been worked out yet, OP doesn't drink fullstop. It was mentioned early on in the thread. White British sensibilities are still reeling.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

oh it's one of THOSE pubs isn't it

How can you work at one of THOSE pubs and not know what pissy lager, bad wine and jagerbombs taste like?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
If you've never been into a pub and carefully studied the taps to work out which pissy lager is going to give you the highest %ABV per penny, read the tasting notes on the back of a wine bottle before remarking dryly that "it doesn't say if it takes the pain away" and spent your last £9 on jagerbombs that you neither need nor can afford then you're not really One Of Us are you :mad:

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Kaiho posted:

I don't need to taste the drink to tell a customer how it tastes. Workmates can help me out with that.
All drinks taste like poo poo to me either way :-)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man, that's... dedication and work ethic, that.

(The first question we ask is what your favorite beer is)

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
To that I would tell you; 'I don't drink'. The fact that I don't drink doesn't imply I can't learn about the different types of drinks and how they are different from each other.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I mean it's cool and all that you've gotten a job in a pub not drinking, but I think it says more about the pub willing to hire you to tend bar rather than you.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

"Hmmm yes. This particular cask ale is specially brewed and gives your tongue a lovely taste of oak and honey, but wait for the after taste where you will get a refreshing fruity hit... Or at least that's what the label says lol read it yourself you loving mug"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If not that is fine, but drinking is the basic social lubricant over here.

Also, welcome to London. Come for the city, stay for the black lung and the heat hot enough to fry bacon on the street in!

In terms of property? In London at the moment there is nothing to be done but wait and hope for something to change drastically to stop the building of crappy giganto houses for no reason other than profit and the actual building of places where people can live.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Here goes a question goonies; how's Croydon for living? It seems nice, though pretty far away from the city centre.

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 4, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I thought you wanted to live in London.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

I thought you wanted to live in London.

I forgot to erase that post once I saw there was no way I could commute from Croydon to the centre. Thanks anyway!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Yggdrassil posted:

I forgot to erase that post once I saw there was no way I could commute from Croydon to the centre. Thanks anyway!

It takes 15 mins to get from Victoria to Croydon.

But why anyone would ever want to go to Croydon let alone live there is beyond me.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Plenty of people commute but it is a commuter shithole rather than London proper.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

It takes 15 mins to get from Victoria to Croydon.

But why anyone would ever want to go to Croydon let alone live there is beyond me.

There were a couple good offers in accommodation there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

My post was mostly just making fun of the place. It's a bit of a dump of a commuter town and cheap for a reason.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Yggdrassil posted:

There were a couple good offers in accommodation there.

Sure there were, in a recent survey more people in Croydon identified as being 'unhappy' than literally anywhere else in the UK.

It's the saddest place to live in the country.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Living in a dump of a commuter town which is cheap for a reason is probably not a bad way to start off here, though.

As somebody who lives in a painfully expensive place at the border of Zone 1 because I was determined to live "in the city," I strongly recommend new arrivals to London to start somewhere cheap and move up the ladder later on. The first place you live in London will not be the last place you live in London.

And you're better off not signing yourself up for anything long term until you definitely know where you're going to be working for a while. I live really close to the centre of London, but still have a 70-minute commute because my office is in the suburbs clear on the other side of the city.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

On a lighter note, this, but for London:

http://www.theonion.com/article/84-million-new-yorkers-suddenly-realize-new-york-c-18003

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

freebooter posted:

And you're better off not signing yourself up for anything long term until you definitely know where you're going to be working for a while. I live really close to the centre of London, but still have a 70-minute commute because my office is in the suburbs clear on the other side of the city.

I have a job interview for a better job than the one I'm at now on Monday. The new job is at Isle of Dogs, so yeah, I'm not signing anything long term for now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Yggdrassil posted:

Always look at buses, underground, overland rail, silverlink, blah blah before determining that a place is too far from another place. E.g. Earlsfield is 45-60ish minutes to waterloo if you walk to southfields and take the district line. It's also like 12-15 minutes if you take the overland. Similarly, east putney to waterloo via district line +transfers, vs putney rail station (5 mins walk way) is like 15ish minutes to waterloo. Also that dumb story I had about taking a bus for 10 minutes from neasden to acton vs taking jubilee line south then transferring to some other line and taking an hour or whatever to get to acton via the underground.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Tfl travel planer is kinda your friend. Just be ready to be told to take 2 busses to avoid a 5 minute walk.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Try out Citymapper app on your phone, it's much better than tfl

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I use Citymapper, the thing is that it has no info on routes using the overground, so when I looked for a way to do Croydon-Victoria, the app couldn't give me a response :-P

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

I use Citymapper, the thing is that it has no info on routes using the overground, so when I looked for a way to do Croydon-Victoria, the app couldn't give me a response :-P

That's because Croydon isn't in London.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

tentish klown posted:

That's because Croydon isn't in London.

I know that's probably meant as a joke, but for OP's sake that's wrong. Croydon is the edge of london on that side, alongside Sutton and Bromley. I haven't ever been to any of them apart from passing through on a train, although I lived in London for five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnrelatedHam
Nov 6, 2010
Citymapper definitely will give you routes using the Overground when there are any, but the Croydon-Victoria route dpack mentioned is a National Rail service.

• Locked thread