Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I vote murder.

You got it!

quote:

"NO, I'LL DO IT, AND SO HE GOES TO HEAVEN, AND SO AM I REVENGED. THAT WOULD BE SCANNED: A VILLAIN KILLS MY FATHER, AND FOR THAT, I, HIS SOLE SON, DO THIS SAME VILLAIN SEND TO HEAVEN."

"OKAY COOL," you tap in reply.

Hamlet draws his sword and, with one massive blow, cleaves the top of Claudius's head, including most of his brain, from the remainder of his body.

Using your Getting Away With Things skill, you put the sword in Claudius's hand, and the two of you confidently walk out of the chapel. "Oh no!" you shout to some passers-by. "I think Claudius just committed suicide in there! Wow, it really looks like he meant it!!"

You get away with it due to your insanely overloaded Getting Away With It stat, and when Hamlet becomes king of Denmark, you become queen. And under your enlightened leadership, every single citizen of Denmark becomes a philosopher scientist karate inventor with a really satisfying personal life.

THE END

P.S. Claudius comes back as a ghost, but he's missing a lot of his brains so it's more pathetic than scary.

P.P.S. It is kinda really awful though.

Infoblurb posted:

Christopher Hastings is a graduate of the School of Visual Arts. He's the creator of the Adventures of Dr. McNinja, which can be read at drmcninja.com. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife Carly, and their dog, Commissioner Gordon.

YOUR STATS THIS ADVENTURE

• Communication By Stealth Taps: 36
  • Fists Bumped: 2
  • Stockings Befouled: 1
  • Choices Made: 30
  • Times You Were: 1
  • Times You Were Not: 0

The app has taken to crashing every single time I open up Assistive Touch to screenshot an infoblurb, so Chris Hastings's appears transcribed this time instead. The app crashed several other times while I was getting this update made, too. The app is not stable on iPhone 4S; I can't speak for other iOS devices.

Also, our map has been updated!

As a side note, this entire sequence of events has been marked in the app as a checkpoint called "In Which Hamlet and Ophelia Become Ninjas." With that in mind, Ophelia's ninja adventures will continue in the next post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Ophelia uses her last 1-Up! After another Game Over screen, we'll pull back to vote on our next path.

This time, Ophelia's going to proceed with the plan instead of rushing ahead with murder in her eyes. Also, I'm going to show you what the Steam version of this app looks like, particularly because it runs more stably.

quote:

You and Hamlet hang upside down from the ceiling, right above Gertrude's bed.

"He'll come," Polonius is telling Gertrude. "Tell Hamlet he's been crazy, okay? And ask him where he's been these past few weeks."

"Okay, okay, fine," Gertrude says. "Go hide. I don't want him to see you here with me." Polonius goes and hides behind a curtain. You can see his feet sticking out the bottom. Geez. Come on, Polonius.

For a long while, nobody speaks. Gertrude picks up a book and lies on her bed, reading. You hear Polonius shuffle a bit, then fall silent. Gertrude turns the page and coughs, and Polonius peeks out from behind the curtain.

"Not here yet, huh?" he whispers.

"Nope," Gertrude says, without looking up. Polonius installs himself behind the curtain again, and you feel Hamlet tap you on your shoulder.

Using the secret tap-based language you learned, Hamlet says, "I DON'T THINK THESE TWO KNOW ANYTHING."

You reply, "I KINDA WANT TO SEE HOW LONG HE'LL KEEP HIDING BEHIND THE CURTAIN." Hamlet replies, "WE'RE LEAVING IN AN HOUR," and you tap back, "FINE."

One hour later Polonius is sitting against the wall, sleeping, his body making a very obvious bulge in the otherwise flowing shape of the curtain. Gertrude's taking a nap too.

"WOW, I GUESS REALLY NOT MUCH HAPPENS WHEN I'M NOT AROUND," Hamlet taps, "WHICH SOMEHOW I FEEL ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE?"

The two of you sneak out of the room.

The Steam implementation runs on the same Gamebook Adventures Engine as the iOS app, which appears to be based on Unity. It looks almost exactly the same, has the same music, and the text blocks behave the same way, except with mouseclicks instead of taps. It also includes the audio narration, which can be toggled. It has Steam cards, which contain a selection of the ending illustrations, including the exploded Claudius one. The two banners on either side of the window never, ever change.

Oh, and 1024x768 was the lowest resolution the game could be set to run on. If I keep using the Steam implementation I'll resize the images like I've been doing the iOS screenshots.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 1, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
gently caress it, kill him again!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Next Scene!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Next Scene! Keep this train wreck a-rollin'!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

All of a sudden I'm having flashbacks to the second to last Yorick ending we covered. Next scene!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Time to check in on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

quote:

Eventually they go into a seldom-used castle room. You and Hamlet sneak your way inside.

"But soft, what noise?" says Rosencrantz, and you and Hamlet exchange a glance. They couldn't have heard anything. You're too good.

Guildenstern replies, "What have you done, my lord, with the dead body?" and you and Hamlet both relax. Whatever they heard, it wasn't you.

"Compounded it with dust, whereto 'tis kin," answers Rosencrantz. Guildenstern replies, "Tell us where 'tis, that we may take it thence and bear it to the chapel."

You tap out a message to Hamlet. "WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?"

"NO IDEA," Hamlet replies. "THIS IS TURBOWEIRD."

"The body is with the King, but the King is not with the body," Rosencrantz says. He pauses, and then says, "The King is a... thing..."

Guildenstern notices Rosencrantz's hesitation and winces. Then he says, "Dude! The line is 'The body is with the King, but the King is not with the body. The King is a head of state, not an undertaker, duh!'"

"Aw frig, right," Says Rosencrantz, relaxing. "Okay, from the top!" He takes a few steps backwards, pauses for a second, then says, "But soft, what noise?"

"THEY ARE REHEARSING A PLAY," taps Hamlet. "HAH HAH, WOW, WHAT ARE THE ODDS."

"THAT MAKES SENSE BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T KILLED ANYONE YET," you reply. "IT MUST BE ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO US AND OUR SWEET QUEST, AND AS SUCH, WE CAN LEAVE NOW."

"YES," taps out Hamlet. "ACT 4 SCENE 2 IS OVER. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED."

You are torn between doing more reconnaissance and just up and killing Claudius now! I feel like you've probably had the skills to kill a single dude for weeks!

The people of Elsinore start acting pretty weird when Hamlet is away, it seems. Do we want to try and scope out some more of the same?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Let's continue.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I am super-disappointed that, when left alone, Rosencratz and Guildenstern do not start doing Rozencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Next scene!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

D3m3 posted:

I am super-disappointed that, when left alone, Rosencratz and Guildenstern do not start doing Rozencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Do you think Ryan North really wants to remind people of how inferior he is to Tom Stoppard?

Although this book has evened out somewhat, and not been quite as terrible as it seemed.

Voting IV.v

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Kangra posted:

Although this book has evened out somewhat, and not been quite as terrible as it seemed.

It's pretty good on this character branch. I feel like he had more fun with Ophelia than Hamlet.

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Let's go to Act 4, Scene 5, but we should hopefully be killin' a fool soon ...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cowboy Otis posted:

Let's go to Act 4, Scene 5, but we should hopefully be killin' a fool soon ...

Screw that, we're going to see what happens if Hamlet disappears for the whole play. Hopefully it will bust a hole in the temporal fabric of the universe again.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Let's go and find out what Horatio does all day.

quote:

It's actually kinda thrilling, to be moving unseen among all these people, to know things nobody suspects you know. You could get used to this!

Eventually, Horatio meets up with Gertrude and some other guy in a nondescript room, but all that happens is the guy says, "Ophelia is gone," and Gertrude says, "Why would she leave?" and the dude shrugs and walks away.

Gertrude looks at Horatio and Horatio at her and they stare at each other in silence for a long while until Claudius enters and says, "How do you do, pretty lady?" and Gertrude says, "Fine thanks," and then it's just Gertrude and Claudius and Horatio ALL just hanging out and staring at each other in silence.

You tap out a message to Hamlet: "PEOPLE ARE PRETTY WEIRD WHEN WE'RE NOT AROUND."

Hamlet taps back, "YA SERIOUSLY WTF."

A few minutes pass, and then Horatio leaves without saying anything. Eventually there's a noise down the hall and Gertrude says, "Alack, what noise is this?" as a messenger enters the room saying, "Young Laertes, in a normal mood, enters."

Laertes ducks his head in the room and says, "Hey, have you seen my dad?" and Gertrude says, "Last I saw him he'd fallen asleep behind the curtain in my bedroom," and Laertes says, "Cool, thanks," and he leaves, taking his messenger with him. And then more awkward, motionless silence.

"UM ARE WE THE ONLY TWO INTERESTING PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?" you tap out to Hamlet.

"DUUUUUDE WE NEED TO FIND SOME RADDER PEOPLE TO SPY ON," Hamlet replies.

After another interminable silence between Gertrude and Claudius, Claudius finally says, "Well, I'm out. You coming?" and they both leave the room.

You and Hamlet step away from the walls, making yourself visible for the first time in hours. "This is boring and stupid. Let's go kill Claudius," he says.

"Um, yeah, totes," you say.

We've had enough of this strange, sad castle. Maybe it really was for the best that the play ended with everybody dead.

quote:

"Okay, so you believe me when I tell you that Ophelia was brainwashed by Hamlet to kill Polonius, right?" Claudius is saying. "And so you are willing to swordfight both of them to the death, right? Ophelia because she killed your father, and Hamlet because he convinced her to do it?"

"Yes," says Laertes. "You have told me a very credible story about how that happened. Plus I never really liked my sister and think she's an inferior person, and not just because she's a woman!"

"THAT JERK! POLONIUS IS DEAD??" you tap to Hamlet. He replies, "POSSIBLY? I GUESS CLAUDIUS WANTS TO FRAME US AND GET YOUR BROTHER TO DO MURDERS TO US??"

"AW MAN, THIS JUST GOT PERSONAL," you reply. "HELLA PERSONAL... TO THE XTREME."

Laertes takes the sword offered to him by Claudius. "Okay, so if they show up, you'll kill them. And just to make sure, I've dipped the blade in poison. Also, I filled this goblet with poison too, so if they comment about being thirsty, be sure to offer them this refreshing beverage."

During this speech, you sneak up behind Claudius, and, without being seen, dip your finger into the goblet.

You sniff it. Returning to Hamlet, you quickly tap, "IT'S A BASIC HEBENON POISON: SIMILAR TO HENBANE, BUT ACTS MUCH QUICKER."

"COOL," taps Hamlet. "U READY?"

"Absolutely," you say out loud, removing your hood and stepping from your camouflage. Claudius and Laertes both spin around, gaping at you, totally shocked.

"Hey Claudius," you say. "Thanks for killing both our dads."

"Both?" says Laertes, and at this point Hamlet steps forward too.

"She's referring to mine, jerk," he says. Laertes lunges at Hamlet, but you flick your wrist and the next thing Laertes knows your blade is sticking out of his neck. Hamlet glances at you. You bow.

"He's all yours," you say.

Hamlet advances on Claudius. "You killed my father, you killed my girlfriend's father, and you married my mom."

Claudius takes a step backwards, and you grab his arm to hold him in place. "I really don't think I like you," Hamlet says.

Claudius gulps. "Um," he says, "it was an... accident?"

"Hah!" Hamlet laughs. An accident? Here, let me show you an accident." Hamlet mimes stumbling backwards. He knocks over the table Claudius has put the poison goblet on, which sends the goblet and its contents flying towards Claudius. You grab Claudius by the chin and hold his mouth open so the poison falls in, and then allow the goblet itself to hit him, breaking his nose in two places.

"That was poisoned," he gasps, shocked. Hamlet picks up Laertes' sword and tosses it to you.

"Why take chances?" you say, stabbing Claudius in the lungs. He dies in incredible pain, and you and Hamlet kiss.

"Mission accomplished, sweetie!" Hamlet says.

"We did it!" you reply.

You kiss some more, killing some assassins who snuck up behind you while I wasn't looking without even breaking your smooch. Nice! You're still making out when the entire royal court walks in the room and sees you there, smooching over Claudius's dead body. These makeouts over a corpse look PRETTY BAD, but you use your Totally Getting Away With It skills to totally get away with it!

You get away with it SO WELL, in fact, that you two lovebirds are proclaimed the new queen and king of Denmark! NICE.

Congratulations, Queen Ophelia!

You have earned 670 ultrapoints, you killed a bad guy, you bettered yourself, you became royalty, AND you learned a lot of really awesome skills!

In this book, I mean!!

THE END

Infoblurb posted:

Carly Monardo is a freelance artist, busying herself with game design, animation, and illustration projects for a variety of clients. She enjoys drawing, improvising, cooking, and playing her banjo and electric bass (poorly). She lives in Brooklyn with her husband, Christopher Hastings, and their goofy dog.

YOUR STATS THIS ADVENTURE

• Communication By Stealth Taps: 172
  • Fists Bumped: 2
  • Naps Napped: 1
  • Poisons Misused: 2
  • Stabs Stabbed: 1
  • Stockings Befouled: 1
  • Tasteless Sexism: 1
  • Choices Made: 35
  • Times You Were: 1
  • Times You Were Not: 0
  • Rosencrantzes: 1
  • Guildensterns: 1

GAME OVER

Took a little while longer, but Claudius is dead again and Ophelia and Porkchop will live happily ever after. As a note, if the game is started from a checkpoint, the endgame stats for things such as choices made don't reflect the decisions that led up to that checkpoint. To get the listing above, I started all the way from the beginning.

Our map has been updated!

We're out of lives again, and that means we're going to put our next path to a vote. Our list of choices is rapidly growing; to name a few:

• Option 1: Claudius tries reading The Murder of Gonzago instead of freaking out and fleeing the room.
  • Option 2: Ophelia decides to drown Claudius instead of the murder book idea.
  • Option 3: Ophelia decides to stab Claudius instead of the murder book idea.
  • Option 4: Ophelia avoids talking to Porkchop Weebottoms after the stockings-fouling incident and instead checks in with her father.
  • Option 5: We play as Porkchop Weebottoms, who fouls his stockings instead of trying to enlist Ophelia in his murder plot.
  • Option 6: Something else?

Since every remaining choice in Poor Yorick is going to result in Yorick getting killed, we're not even going to divert to his story. Instead, we'll just hold a second vote on how to see him die.

• Option 1: Yorick accepts his fate instead of causing a temporal rift to destroy the Earth.
  • Option 2: Yorick chooses "The Hamster" as Kid Hamlet's nickname.
  • Option 3: Yorick refuses to be ridden on by Kid Hamlet.
  • Option 4: Yorick begs the king not to leave him alone with Kid Hamlet.
  • Option 5: Yorick recounts a charming jape instead of making fart noises at the king.
  • Option 6: Yorick makes a pass at the queen.
  • Option 7: Yorick attacks the king.
  • Option 8: Yorick pushes a different jester forward when his name is called.
  • Option 9: Yorick pushes his way to the front of the line of jesters.
  • Option 10: Yorick chooses to die instantly.

Our map is starting to fill out. Hamlet's choices are packed very tightly compared to Hamlet Sr.'s and Ophelia's, however. Porkchop has his moments.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Dialing 1 for Ophelia and 2 for Yorick.

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Screw that, we're going to see what happens if Hamlet disappears for the whole play. Hopefully it will bust a hole in the temporal fabric of the universe again.

Oh man, good point!

Anyway, I think Option 1 for Ophelia and Option 10 for Yorick.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Option 1 for Claudius

Option 2 for Yorrick

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Ol' Yorick is a stylish and daring fellow, and Kid Hamlet needs to be taught that even as a prince, he can't always get everything he wants. He asked for a good nickname, but he's going to be called "Li'l Hamster" instead. That'll teach him!

quote:

“I AM NOT A CREPUSCULAR RODENT” he shouts, tears in his eyes, while nevertheless adorably stumbling over the pronunciation of “crepuscular”. You’re impressed that this kid knows a word meaning “active primarily during dawn and dusk” and further impressed at how I worked the definition so seamlessly into the story, so even if you didn’t know what the word meant, that’s not a problem now!

Anyway Li’l Hamster’s as good as his word, and the king ends your tenure as an alive human. Your tenure as a decaying body beings at once and proceeds uneventfully for 25 years until Li’l Hamster himself digs up your skull!

“Alas and dangs, Horatio! This is the guy who gave me that terrible nickname I hate!” he says, examining your skull in his hand. “It’s because of him that I had to leave the royal court and start a new life as a gravedigger.”

“I am familiar with your origin story,” replies Horatio.

“Hmph.” says Li’l Hamster, and throws your skull into a pile of other skulls for him to take home later. He collects them! This timeline is really weird!!

Your final score is “man why’d you have to make it weird” out of a hundred!

THE END

It looks like giving Kid Hamlet the nickname of Li'l Hamster destroys his future as effectively as does nicknaming him Porkchop Weebottoms. Who knew?

It also looks as though it's time for Claudius to partake of the fantastic choose-your-own-adventure novel The Murder of Gonzago. It has its own cover, and we get an achievement for reading it!

quote:

The Murder of Gonzago posted:

You are amazing because of all the dragons you control, plus you wear the armour of a skeleton warrior and you wield a battle axe that has the Latin phrase "FACTA NON VERBA" written on it... in BLOOD.

You know what that means? That means "DEEDS, NOT WORDS."

Holy crap, this book is already awesome.

You've been feeling a little jealous lately because your brother, Gonzago, gets to be king, and it occurs to you, maybe if YOU killed him and married his wife, you could be king instead! Maybe you should do that!

Or maybe you should just go slay some skeleton warriors.

The background and stylesheet have both changed! Sometimes the text box style switches back to normal, indicating King Claudius's own observations and actions as he reads The Murder of Gonzago. It gets confusing, so I'm taking measures to distinguish the two narratives from each other.

It looks as though King Claudius is letting the first decision in The Murder of Gonzago fall to his courtiers. How would they have him proceed in this CYOA-within-a-CYOA?

Infoblurb posted:

Andrew Hussie once traded credit cards with the author. He burned through so much of Shakespeare's dough before the clueless bard could figure out what a credit card even WAS. The dude never recovered financially. His Gonzago cover was inked by Rachel Rocklin and coloured by Shad Andrews.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Killing humans is boring, let's kill some skeletons :black101:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Spooky, scary skeletons
send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Find Yorick's skull and kill it again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a pretty great cover.

That which is dead cannot die. Or can it? Let's test this out.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i haven't played the hamlet book game but i'm going to assume that it's good and fun and that ryan north is a nice guy to hang out with

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that if this game has taught us anything, it's that not participating in the plot as foreshadowed by title is a quick ride to nowhere. So let's murder Gonzago.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Claudius lowered the book down, inclining his head toward the assembly. "How shall Battlelord Pete proceed? All present in the court are thus invited to make thy voices heard in this important decision."

A low grumble roamed among the courtiers. Many of them had spent the past weeks watching Claudius systematically appropriate all of their duties and responsibilities to himself. The new King had proven all to eager to insert himself into every detail of the Danish government, taking the reins away from the experienced and applying his own questionable judgment to every matter that arose. This is what they were reduced to -- voting together on how Claudius was to entertain himself with a choose-your-own-adventure novel. A single resentful whisper hissed from among the courtiers -- "Justify this court's existence, you little beast" -- and nobody bothered to single the traitor out.

Elsewhere in the courtroom, a man cleared his throat and rose to his feet. The Austrian ambassador, Adolph von Steuben, would be the first to answer the King's request for feedback on the navigation of his Highness's gamebook. "If I may, your Majesty," he began, "We in Austria are quite familiar with the killing of humans and find it to be rather boring. I therefore request that your Highness partake in the killing of skeletons instead."

A murmur rippled through the court, many heads turning to stare at the ambassador as he seated himself again. Even Hamlet was eyeing him quizzically from his spot behind Claudius's throne. The court fell silent, however, when the chiming of bells sounded from one of the windows. It was the jester Ignatius reclining in the sill, shaking his bauble toward the court in time with some strange, sibilant ballad about skeletons and bones and skulls and whatnot. Claudius sighed and held up his scepter, rapping the base of it against the arm of his throne as a gesture for silence. "Your opinion is appreciated, good Ignatius," he groaned, shaking his head. He really did miss poor Yorick; every replacement they had found for him had proven rather talentless, each in his own dreadful way.

The next demand seemed to answer Claudius's very train of thought: "Find Yorick's skull, and kill it again!" It was Brother Kyle, an old monk who volunteered his time assisting Polonius in the custodial affairs of Elsinore. He was answered by a couple of boos from some of the older courtiers. Yorick was still a fond memory to much of the court, except for Brother Kyle; heaven only knew what kind of cleaning up the old friar had had to do during Yorick's reign of endless pranks and antics. Claudius winced, but nodded, promising under his breath that Brother Kyle's position would be taken into consideration.

Slowly, one of the courtiers stood up among the crowd. It was the venerable Xarbala, the late King Hamlet's favorite painter. He appeared to have suffered a fair deal under the new King; his expression was exhausted and sad as he spoke. "That which is dead... cannot die. Or, perhaps, can it? Let us test this out, your Highness." He finished with an overly deep bow toward the King, a scowl wrinkling his face when it was hidden from the King's view. He straightened again and suddenly began to speak quickly: "I must say, Majesty, the cover of that book is most pleasing to behold. Shall I create a tapestry of it?" Claudius raised an eyebrow at him, answering, "I'll consider it." Xarbala growled as he slumped back into his seat. Claudius frowned; he had hoped that such a fine specimen of artistic talent would not shirk away so violently from a few... special requests for paintings of certain scenes for the King's private collection. Couldn't a man be just a little bit open-minded?

All was silent for a moment, until a loud snoring sound was heard near to Gertrude's seat. It was the royal astronomer -- what was her name again? -- who had very obviously not wanted to come, particularly after spending all night up on a platform with her look-glass and broadsheets. She had finally slumped forward and dozed off, and was mumbling something in her sleep about a Hamlet book game and a guy named Ryan. Claudius rolled his eyes, and almost sent for Polonius to gather the sleeping woman up and dump her in a corridor somewhere, but stayed himself.

Beside the sleeping astronomer was a spectacled man, who raised a bony hand into the air, stammering. The royal mathematician Glazius struggled timidly for the King's attention, hesitating as he leaned up out of his chair. "I-i-if I may speak, s-sire, I'm... certain that not participating in t-t-the plot as fore...shadowed by the book's title -- being about murdering a brother, not about murdering skeletons, which was not mentioned in the title at all -- will lead to l-loss and f-f-failure." He collapsed back into his chair quickly, letting out a huff and fidgeting with his robe. The King waved Glazius's words away quickly, raising his book up out of his lap as he announced in a booming voice: "It is settled then, members of the court: Battlelord Pete shall slay skeletons!"

A smattering of applause echoed across the stone walls of the court. Claudius thumbed through the pages until he reached the right reference number, and began to read aloud.

quote:

You encounter your first skeleton! He bows theatrically and introduces himself as Skellington of the East Coast Skellingtons.

That's a lot of mad skellies in the background. How is Battlelord Pete going to get rid of this first one?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 11, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Let's AXE him a question.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Axe-ing him a question sounds like a good time.

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
AXE him if he thinks we should have murdered Gonzago.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
There was less debate this time around. A few courtiers repeated the pun loudly in the King's direction, and the rest sat silent, waiting for Claudius to get on with the story. He complied soon enough.

quote:

Your battle axe sends his head flying through the air! Skellington continues talking as his head flies into the sky.

"Do not worry about harming me!" his head says as it flies over a nearby mountain. "As I am already dead and this is only an inconvenience! No hard feelings!"

You grit your teeth and kick over Skellington's still-standing body. "I hate to CUT AND RUN," you say through your manly grimace as his body collapses into a pile of bones.

Then you walk away in slow motion. "KNIFE to meet you," you say, realizing you really should've used that one sooner, but oh well.

You have two options now: you can go kill more skeletons by journeying to Skeleton Homeland and smashing everyone there, or you can go home and return to your family.

Claudius is making quite the fool of himself, reading all this out to the royal court with a straight face. Will he seek more skeleton-killing puns, or will he take the story in a different direction?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
This trespass cannot be tolerated! Take the fight to the Skeleton Homeland!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

We will pun-t that head all the way to the Skeleton Homeland!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
There's a Skeleton Homeland? Not for long!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Sketeton Homeland

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's no fun if we're not actually harming them. Go home to your family.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
To Be or Not to Be is -33% off right now.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Loud whoops arose from several members of the court upon the prospect of invading the Skeleton Homeland. Only Brother Kyle's voice rang against the tide: "It's no fun if we're not actually harming them! Let Battlelord Pete return to his family and--"

"Harm them instead?" Inquired Ignatius, still snickering about puns and punting. Brother Kyle grimaced, fanning the air with his breviary as though the air had been suddenly assaulted with flatus.

Claudius scowled at the old monk, clearing his throat and speaking sternly as though over a group of quarreling children. "If my good courtiers are done, I believe it is time for the Battlelord to begin his invasion. Moving on--" He found the reference quickly and began to read.

quote:

You decide that the best counterattack is a preemptive attack, so you journey to Skeleton Homeland and on the way you start cutting up fools before they can even invade!

Things are going really well until you actually reach Skeleton Homeland, where it's like 30,000 against one! You die really quick!!

Oh and I didn't mention earlier, but guess what if you DIE IN THE BOOK, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE!!! You blew it and you're totally dead.

Claudius's brow furrowed as he examined the next page after the text abruptly ended. "Really? That's the ending? No illustration of Battlelord Pete's glorious stand? What kind of a--" and the next sound from him was a sudden, gurgled cry. His hand went to his chest, clutching suddenly at his heart, but his eyes were already frozen in shock, his body tipping forward out of the throne. The King of Denmark was already stiff as stone in a seated position as he dropped to the floor and went rolling down the steps, The Murder of Gonzago still clutched in his cooling hands, held open and turned to the page he had only just been scrutinizing. It was completely black, save for the words "THE END" written upon it, and as the King's hunched body tumbled over and over, the page was displayed to every corner of the room. Not one soul in the Court had their eyes averted either as their King fell dead before them, his face still twisted into a look of surprise and disappointment at the emptiness of the ending he had encountered.

That ending page was the last thing the court of Elsinore would ever see. As surely as if it were the visage of Medusa, every pair of eyes that found the book's ending page was struck dead. A brief moment passed, and near a hundred bodies came crashing to the floor, some out of seats, some out of thrones, some tipping over like dominos where they stood. Only two people remained upright in the court: Hamlet's lifeless body drooping over the back of Claudius's throne, and the Royal Astronomer, who was still reclined in her seat, snoring loudly.

Our map has been updated!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Claudius uses a 1-up! He has one remaining.

Brother Kyle wouldn't cease his complaints about the direction that The Murder of Gonzago was turning. There was no point in killing skeletons if you weren't actually killing them! He needed blood! Yes, blood! Blood for the blood god!

Claudius stared at him long and hard. Slowly, he rose from his throne and descended the steps, crossing the room to Brother Kyle, and pushed the book into his hands. The King took a step back, his arms folded, looking at his subject expectantly.

The old monk stared back at him, face white as a sheet. Chuckles sounded from multiple corners of the room, echoing in Kyle's ears as his face lowered to the open book in his hands, mortified. Then, he nodded, fingers shakily fumbling across the pages until he found the reference in which Battlelord Pete returned to his family without slaying any more skeletons.

quote:

"That was my uncle Skellington!" screams your husband or wife, depending on your sexual orientation and life choices. If you are not married, you scream it to yourself while looking in the mirror as you realize what you've done. Anyway, your husband/wife/self is so mad at what you've done that in a fit of rage, they choke you to death/stab you in the head/assist you in committing suicide.

Hah! Looks like this reasonable option actually resulted in sudden, unpredictable death! HOW IS READING A BOOK WHERE SOMEONE ELSE DECIDES WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WORKING OUT, CHAMP??

Anyway, you die in the book and that means you die in real life too. SURPRISE!

"What?" Claudius snapped at him. Brother Kyle had become increasingly animated and passionate as he read aloud to the court, absorbed in the subject matter to the point that the final "SURPRISE!" had come as a rousing shout, answered by a spontaneous roar of genuine laughter from the court.

Brother Kyle looked back up at Claudius. "Yes, sire?"

"The ending. Is there an illustration that the court should see?" The King continued.

"Oh, y-yes, of course," the Brother answered, quickly looking down at the book again. "It should be on the next page..." He moistened a finger and pressed it to the corner of the page, turning it over and finding nothing but an expanse of black and the words, "THE END."

Brother Kyle wrinkled his brow, looking up from his book. "All it has is--" And then with a twitch and a sudden gurgle, his body was stiff as stone, keeling forward and crashing into the King of Denmark suddenly enough to bowl him over.

Claudius had always been a gaunt, twisted little worm of a man. Brother Kyle's weight was easily triple that of his King, a large, portly fellow even in his advanced age. King Claudius was crushed against the stone floor in an instant by the monk's dead body, with The Murder of Gonzago and its hundreds of endings pressed right down into his tall, narrow face. A loud crunch sounded from beneath the volume, and the Crown of Denmark came rolling out from underneath it, bent into an oval and missing a few gems.

The two lay there, the book and the King hidden completely from sight by Brother Kyle's massive carcass. No one in the Court stirred from their seats; all were silent, eyes wide with horror. The King of Denmark was dead -- again -- in another tragic accident, just like the one that had befallen poor Carl Hamlet.

The first words to break the silence were an off-color reference to gay sex. They came from a window in the corner of the room, where the jester Ignatius lay relaxed across the sill, snickering at the sight of one man on top of another. No one said a word in reply. The only person to respond was Hamlet, who calmly rose from his spot behind the empty throne, walked over to Ignatius, and with a single solid kick sent him flying out the window. Hamlet's words were a low, disdainful mutter as the screaming faded and ended with a loud splash from several stories below: "And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Our map has been updated.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 20, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Claudius uses his last 1-up!

"Apologies to the court, but I do believe our fair nation has had enough puns for one day. Let us instead only carve the skeleton into pieces." Claudius looked out across the court, stoic in the face of the disappointed murmurings. Then, he turned to the book once again, taking the option that nobody had voted for.

quote:

YES THIS IS ALL YOU WANT OUT OF LIFE.

Claudius started slightly at the second option. Hamlet inclined his head, uncrossing his legs behind the throne. This could get interesting, though the choice of options did seem a bit lacking to the King.

Spent the last week moving to a new apartment in a new state, in preparation for a new job. Updates might continue to be slow if the new work keeps me as busy as I'm expecting it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well. Let's... let's do the thing that probably won't kill us. Let's murder Gonzago.

• Locked thread