Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Joey Freshwater posted:

PB&J here in Chicago, at least the one bar I've seen it at. PBR & shot of Jameson with a slice of pizza

I can't remember where it is, but there's a bar somewhere in Milwaukee that gives you a pbr, shot of jameson, and a cigarette for $5 or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

b-minus1 posted:

How bout dem cowboys LMFAO.

Three playoff wins in 20 years.
America's team.
Jesus. I didn't realize they've been that bad (in the post-season) for so long.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tzen posted:

4 wild card losses to start: '98, '99, '03, '06.
Then a loss with a bye to the Giants in '07.
A win in the WC round against the Eagles in '09 before losing to the Vikings 34-3.
Another win in the WC round against the Lions 2 years ago because certain things are or are not catches and then they were killed by Rodgers.
And now another loss to the Packers.

I personally think playoff byes should be counted as wins, but whatever. They're 2-3 in the playoffs since Romo took over, which is mostly funny for how often they managed to win 8 games despite having Tony Romo at QB.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR108kwNo4

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Blitz7x posted:

No not like the bar in your house a real bar

go to archie's in chicago, friend

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tzen posted:

Everyone forgets it because the 3 years in a row where they ended a season going 8-8 (and losing a playoff spot) to a different division team was far more funny, bizarre, and maddening

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

4 wild card losses to start: '98, '99, '03, '06.
Then a loss with a bye to the Giants in '07.
A win in the WC round against the Eagles in '09 before losing to the Vikings 34-3.
Another win in the WC round against the Lions 2 years ago because certain things are or are not catches and then they were killed by Rodgers.
And now another loss to the Packers.

I personally think playoff byes should be counted as wins, but whatever. They're 2-3 in the playoffs since Romo took over, which is mostly funny for how often they managed to win 8 games despite having Tony Romo at QB.

Yeah, when Witten got his TD and fox popped a graphic saying it was his first post season TD that surprised me a bunch but I guess it makes sense.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I was at the playoff game in 96 when the panthers started the cowboys slide into irrelevancy AMA

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I think the Pats winning another Super Bowl combined with the 49ers being garbage for the next millennia is going to kill my will to watch the NFL anymore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
tremble pats

we coming for ya

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mel Mudkiper posted:

tremble pats

we coming for ya

But Denver isn't in the playoffs? :confused:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I was at the playoff game in 96 when the panthers started the cowboys slide into irrelevancy AMA

We stopped winning Super Bowls but the franchise is still worth 4+ billion dollars even with 2 decades of disappointment. Patriots are the second highest around 3.2

Not so sure the NFL views the Cowboys as irrelevant, but I can see where your coming from with our poo poo one and done playoff showings

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sean10mm posted:

But Denver isn't in the playoffs? :confused:

looking forward to my favorite team winning the super bowl 2 years in a row

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mel Mudkiper posted:

looking forward to my favorite team winning the super bowl 2 years in a row

I didn't know you liked the Falcons.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Belicheck doesnt use facechat

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

a new study bible! posted:

I didn't know you liked the Falcons.

If they win the Superbowl he will

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes, that was "The Panthers" and not "The Salary Cap" or "an aging franchise"

Honestly the most amazing thing about the Patriots--besides how bad the AFC East has been for 20 years--is just how long they've managed to be as good as they've been, and how long Brady has managed to play at an MVP level.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

tremble pats

we coming for ya

to be fair now that we've made it to the afc championship nothing is guaranteed anymore

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes, that was "The Panthers" and not "The Salary Cap" or "an aging franchise"

Honestly the most amazing thing about the Patriots--besides how bad the AFC East has been for 20 years--is just how long they've managed to be as good as they've been, and how long Brady has managed to play at an MVP level.

A big part of it is that Kraft sees just how successful Belichick has been and has wisely decided to just give him free reign in almost everything.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Jets have 7 playoff wins in the last 20 years; the Cowboys have 2. Ease up on the AFCe chat.

If the Pats were in any other division they'd be just as dominant.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

A big part of it is that Kraft sees just how successful Belichick has been and has wisely decided to just give him free reign in almost everything.

Also krafts true interest these days are a little more carnal or sinister depending on the day.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets have 7 playoff wins in the last 20 years; the Cowboys have 2. Ease up on the AFCe chat.

If the Pats were in any other division they'd be just as dominant.

Switch them with the Browns and I guarantee they're not.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Playoff wins last twenty years:

24 - Patriots
16 - Steelers
15 - Ravens
14 - Packers, Broncos
13 - Seahawks
12 - Colts
10 - Eagles, Giants
8 - 49ers, Panthers
7 - Jets, Saints
6 - Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals, Rams
5 - Titans, Buccaneers
4 - Chargers, Raiders
3 - Dolphins, Jaguars, Bears, Texans
2 - Cowboys, Washington
1 - Chiefs
0 - Bengals, Lions, Bills, Browns

Would not have guessed the Chargers had only 4 wins with Rivers, same as the Raiders. Also Titans, remember when Jeff Fisher was good?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 17, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
thank god for Brian Hoyer

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Kalli posted:

Playoff wins last twenty years:

24 - Patriots
16 - Steelers
15 - Ravens
14 - Packers, Broncos
13 - Seahawks
12 - Colts
10 - Eagles, Giants
8 - 49ers, Panthers
7 - Jets, Saints
6 - Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals, Rams
5 - Titans, Buccaneers
4 - Chargers, Raiders
3 - Dolphins, Jaguars, Bears, Texans
2 - Cowboys, Washington
1 - Chiefs
0 - Bengals, Lions, Bills, Browns

Would not have guessed the Chargers had only 4 wins with Rivers, same as the Raiders.

NFC E perfectly grouped there

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
:lol: Lions

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

pats have the best out of division record in the league.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would not have guessed the Ravens being at #3, but then again I guess 2 super bowl wins will help get you there.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

seiferguy posted:

I would not have guessed the Ravens being at #3, but then again I guess 2 super bowl wins will help get you there.

Imagine if the recent 49ers/Seahawks rivalry lasted an entire decade

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

pats have the best out of division record in the league.

Yeah this comes up a lot. The AFC East looks bad because they play the Patriots.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah this comes up a lot. The AFC East looks bad because they play the Patriots.

I like that people reading my comment just skipped to hitting the "reply" button before the second half of the sentence

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

first football game I remember watching after moving to AZ back in 98 was the Cowboys/Cards playoff game in 99 I think. :allears:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And the fun followup, most playoff losses over the past 20 years:

13 - Packers, Colts
11 - Patriots , Seahawks
10 - Eagles
9 - Steelers, Vikings
8 - Ravens, Broncos, Cowboys
7 - Giants, 49ers, Jets, Falcons, Dolphins, Chiefs, Bengals
6 - Panthers, Titans, Buccaneers, Chargers
5 - Saints, Cardinals, Jaguars, Washington, Lions
4 - Rams, Raiders, Bears, Texans
2 - Bills
1 - Browns

and +- wins over losses:

+13 Patriots
+7 Steelers, Ravens
+6 Broncos
+3 Giants
+2 Rams, Saints, Panthers, Seahawks
+1 Packers, Cardinals, 49ers
0 Eagles, Jets Raiders
-1 Colts, Falcons, Titans, Buccaneers, Bears, Texans, Browns
-2 Chargers, Jaguars, Bills
-3 Vikings, Washington
-4 Dolphins
-5 Lions
-6 Cowboys, Chiefs
-7 Bengals

... and finally playoff bye weeks:

11 - Patriots
6 - Broncos
5 - Falcons, Steelers
4 - Bears, Colts, Packers
3 - Panthers, Chiefs, Vikings, Titans, Eagles, Rams, Seahawks, 49ers
2 - Cowboys, Saints, Giants, Raiders, Ravens, Chargers, Buccaneers
1 - Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

And the fun followup, most playoff losses over the past 20 years:

13 - Packers, Colts
11 - Patriots , Seahawks
10 - Eagles
9 - Steelers, Vikings
8 - Ravens, Broncos, Cowboys
7 - Giants, 49ers, Jets, Falcons, Dolphins, Chiefs, Bengals
6 - Panthers, Titans, Buccaneers, Chargers
5 - Saints, Cardinals, Jaguars, Washington, Lions
4 - Rams, Raiders, Bears, Texans
2 - Bills
1 - Browns

and +- wins over losses:

+13 Patriots
+7 Steelers, Ravens
+6 Broncos
+3 Giants
+2 Rams, Saints, Panthers, Seahawks
+1 Packers, Cardinals, 49ers
0 Eagles, Jets Raiders
-1 Colts, Falcons, Titans, Buccaneers, Bears, Texans, Browns
-2 Chargers, Jaguars, Bills
-3 Vikings, Washington
-4 Dolphins
-5 Lions
-6 Cowboys, Chiefs
-7 Bengals

... and finally playoff bye weeks:

11 - Patriots
6 - Broncos
5 - Falcons, Steelers
4 - Bears, Colts, Packers
3 - Panthers, Chiefs, Vikings, Titans, Eagles, Rams, Seahawks, 49ers
2 - Cowboys, Saints, Giants, Raiders, Ravens, Chargers, Buccaneers
1 - Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets

Playoff wins get weird, because it's better to have a bye week 1 than play a wildcard game. It's kind of like fourth quarter comebacks--it's better to dominate the game in the first half and put it out of reach than it is to come back in the 4th quarter, but we put a lot of emphasis on doing that. Or road playoff wins--I remember when this stat got brought up with the Giants during their runs, but you only play road playoff games if you sneak in as a wild card (not that those runs weren't impressive, but the Giants had better records the years following their runs). And Super Bowl teams making it from the wild card are an outlier, not the norm. #1/#2 seeds have won more super bowls by far.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 17, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The bears have more bye weeks in the playoffs than wins. That's nice.

absolomb
Nov 26, 2004
Putting the "emo" back in "chemotherapy".

Rad Valtar posted:

I think the Pats winning another Super Bowl combined with the 49ers being garbage for the next millennia is going to kill my will to watch the NFL anymore.

Yeah but if the pats win we'll get to see Goodell handing the trophy to Brady and and *poops in his pants*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like that people reading my comment just skipped to hitting the "reply" button before the second half of the sentence

the afc east being bad has no effect on the pats. their winrate within division since 2003 is 77.9 percent. outside of the division it drops to...77.2 percent.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 17, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Playoff wins get weird, because it's better to have a bye week 1 than play a wildcard game. It's kind of like fourth quarter comebacks--it's better to dominate the game in the first half and put it out of reach than it is to come back in the 4th quarter, but we put a lot of emphasis on doing that. Or road playoff wins--I remember when this stat got brought up with the Giants during their runs, but you only play road playoff games if you sneak in as a wild card (not that those runs weren't impressive, but the Giants had better records the years following their runs). And Super Bowl teams making it from the wild card are an outlier, not the norm. #1/#2 seeds have won more super bowls by far.

Bye weeks should be counted as a win for those stats.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

We stopped winning Super Bowls but the franchise is still worth 4+ billion dollars even with 2 decades of disappointment. Patriots are the second highest around 3.2

Not so sure the NFL views the Cowboys as irrelevant, but I can see where your coming from with our poo poo one and done playoff showings

Is Jerry gonna hang this on a banner?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Groovelord Neato posted:

the afc east being bad has no effect on the pats. their winrate within division since 2003 is 77.9 percent. outside of the division it drops to...77.2 percent.

It's almost like if the team gets to beat up on guaranteed patsies 6 times a year they will be well rested and healthy for the actual hard games on their schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, context-less stats are bad in general and just a mess in the playoffs because of the tiny sample sizes and weird outliers everywhere.

... I was going to say some things I thought were true but instead just ran a few searches:

Over the last 20 years:

Home teams are 50-30 in the wildcard round, winning 62.5% of the time.
That goes up to 56-24 in the divisional round, 70%, thanks to the bye week // top seeds typically being the best teams.
Then drops to 23-15 in the Conference Championships, 60.3%, pretty close to the WC round.

Outdoor Home teams are 89-55 overall, 61.8%
While Dome Home teams are 32-12, 72.7%.
Home teams outdoors in the cold are 34-19, 64.2%

Team wins the coin toss: 91-104, 46.7%

So basically, bye weeks and being a home dome team seem to be the biggest advantages, while going outside into a team's frozen field is a mild disadvantage, but nowhere near what you'd think.

• Locked thread