Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

New war over lol. Next one later this week.

This game is fun and casual. Rank is meaningless after 5, you can grind as hard as you want or not. Being able to hear the enemy voice coms, and them hearing you, it great.

Join the discord (https://discord.gg/bbnpjBH) to see who's playing. Between the wars there are 3 hour skirmishes, so you can get a fresh start regularly.

There is a bit of a learning curve, and sparse documentation. Playing with others is a huge advantage for new players.

Our roadblocks are Big Fun.

Sniped like these poor logi dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

New war started, and Wardens are already establishing themselves in Colonial port maps.

That's uh a new record for the Colonials.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
An interesting time to pick this one up discounted, goon group is kind of sleepy at the moment though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2018/08/01/015-Dev-Branch-Released

New build on the dev server went out, this mine stuff looks exciting.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Following is from a dev talking on the official Foxhole Discord:

quote:

[8:00 PM] markfoot: hello
[8:01 PM] markfoot: oh btw. next few weeks we're gonna be revealing some pretty big changes coming that will change the meta of the game
[8:01 PM] markfoot: starting with the next devstream on tues
[8:04 PM] markfoot: its not one particular big feature. its a bunch of smaller features that will work together.
[8:04 PM] markfoot: mostly logi

Not long after that the talk changed to how to implement trains into the game :crossarms:. Apparently getting trains implemented is SERIOUS BUSINESS for some people.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is that a surprise to you? You've seen Train Simulator, right?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

MREBoy posted:

Following is from a dev talking on the official Foxhole Discord:

Not long after that the talk changed to how to implement trains into the game :crossarms:. Apparently getting trains implemented is SERIOUS BUSINESS for some people.

Oh poo poo, train spergs are known locally as Foamers. Because they are the only people that look at trains and foam at the mouth.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Played this for a little bit this weekend. Combat was pretty fun when we could get supplies.

Thoughts:

-There needs to be a more formalized system of requisitions for logistics. Half the time it's someone screaming for standard supplies at the front and someone drives up with 3 crates of rifles and howitzer shells.

- People need to stop locking the 30-40 tanks we have in depots in the rear lines when we're getting rolled by 6-7 tank armored columns.

- Artillery feels a bit too accurate. We were trying to set up a battery on one side of the river and kept getting counter-batteried by howitzers on the opposite bank. They shouldn't have even been able to see us at that distance, even with binoculars. Either there was a spy or they had a spotter concealed somewhere within our base for over an hour.

- The sight ranges for most weapons feel a bit too restrictive for how accurate they are, so everything gets smooshed to the corners on the screen.

- The game does not handle shooting down from high places well. Most shots end up going well under the target.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

People need to stop locking the 30-40 tanks

That will sadly never stop.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Triggerhappypilot posted:

- People need to stop locking the 30-40 tanks we have in depots in the rear lines when we're getting rolled by 6-7 tank armored columns.

Most accurate military logistics simulator of all time. 10/10, would play again.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

That right there is why I always carry a hammer, sledgehammer, and a wrench when I'm doing logistics stuff. If a truck has been immobile for over 20 minutes I'm going to can opener that poo poo and rummage around inside. Three fourths of the time all its got is some fuel or maybe no fuel but the last quarter the drat thing is loaded with refined materials or explosive materials or ammo crates or other random poo poo. Should be interesting to see what sort of logistics changes the developers came up with this time.

The ones making GBS threads out tanks and half-tracks don't realize the level of coordination and number of people you need to effectively use them. A basic platoon of three tanks requires 6 people just to drive and gun the tanks, then you need supporting infantry and then maybe one guy with a truck carrying fuel, shells, and some basics in order to do repairs. So you're looking at 10 to 15 people minimum usually.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Don't forget the two poor bastards manually dragging the field artillery piece!

And of course since arty's hungry for ammo, maybe give them a dedicated ammo truck as well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haven't played since page 2 of this thread, is there a good reason to come back to it now since dropping it?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Haven't played since page 2 of this thread, is there a good reason to come back to it now since dropping it?

yeah. do you want to play a video game? if the answer is yes this is a video game

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

About 5 PM EST the devs turned on the games Get This War Over With Mode. They wanted to release 0.16 a week ago apparently. So expect it to be out Real Soon Now™. Also dev livestream of upcoming logi changes and whatever else @ 2 PM EST Tuesday 8/20 -> https://www.twitch.tv/foxholegame

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's pretty fun to be building gear, weapons, and ammo in the only town on the map we control (which so happens to be our HQ spawn) that has manufacturing and be recognized for it by only one person.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Current World War ended about 5.45 PM EST Friday, Wardens won. I somehow got spot #86/250 on the ranking plaque monument thing in the log in area :crossarms: . So expect the new patch in the next few days.

The following tl;dr image is I believe of some interest to anyone who does any sort of logi stuff in game. It explains how the new auto-mines are gonna apparently be a big efficiency hit to gathering & slow down tech acquisition as well. The following comment is from the devs, and be aware this image was lumped in along with a ton of memes, YouTube videos and in-universe fan-fic pieces in their latest Community Highlights.

quote:

Okay I'm putting this in the art section because this is a work of art. Not in the truest sense, but in a very creative sense. Patchouli put this together as feedback for our most recent changes with automated mines, and it was exceptionally useful for validating some of our theories. This is art because not only did he put immense effort into articulating this, but putting it together in a neat and visually appreciable way. Thanks you!

Hey man, great well thought out feedback backed with facts & observations about how our changes are probably going to make it harder on logi types! Your reward is you get to go right after a badly drawn borderline animu pantsu image of some girl with animal ears ! LOL !

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yikes.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

On the other hand, scrapping things manually is a pain in the rear end so I'll end up using mines anyways. :v:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

If what I saw on the official Discord is right, Monday 8/27 is 0.16 Release Day.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

0.16 is out.

Good: Your aim point now has an elevation indicator.

Bad: Some server side bug popped up, the start of World War #something til tomorrow. It also broke 2 of the 3 skirmish maps in such a way that they would not start the battle even though each side had 30+ people queued up to play. The working one ? Oarbreaker Isle :newlol:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It’s cool to see how this game has a following but goddamn there are hundreds of empty lockers and locked vehicles with supplies that are just sitting.

Not to mention some rear end in a top hat barbed wired our spawn. How hasn’t this been solved?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Barbed wire's an easy fix. Sounds like everyone was collectively too lazy to come back with a wrench.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah a Wrench is the solution to both problems listed. If I feel like going full on logi the first three things I get are a Sledgehammer, a Radio and a Wrench. I then look around for an abandoned truck or build one myself. While I'm puttering around in my truck I will stop to check most any truck or vehicle that's just sitting there with no other obvious people around and can opener it. 75% the time it's empty & 0 fuel, but 25% of the time it's got stuff in it. The number of abandoned vehicles all over the place is pretty amazing sometimes. This does not include some sperg who hammered out 19 ACs, some FMGs, and a smattering of motorcycles and trucks, lined them up neatly near a vehicle factory, and is spamming chat about his motor pool.

Also (in case anyone didn't know) the tech unlocks for the new auto-mines are forced buys in the tech tree. So that's a 1600 tech bit road bump to get over before you can get at the last 1/4th of the tree. Adding in the fact that you need a CV to even "repair" (read: build) the things makes me think most people won't bother except for ones fairly close to towns or port bases.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I like the new combat update. Killed a lot of Colonials who thought standing still while a gun nest had an occupant was a good idea.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Foxhole's on sale and there's a world conquest currently going on. Anyone up for running around and cursing pubbies this weekend?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Due to the sale the in-game population is pushing 600 ppl. Things aren't too hot for the Wardens right now as Mooring, Callahans & Weathered all have significant Collie incursions currently. This is probably a side effect of the Collies having up to a 3:1 population advantage for most of the last week or so. Also the re-vamped Fishermans Row area was opened, with it being mostly Warden at the moment. One side effect of the sale & influx of players is people swamping the Discord based mod report system to the point they had to put up a "They're n00bs, please don't report their stupidity" message in-channel. The three Warden home regions are all at 115+ ppl each, with Fishermans & Endless in the 70-90 range.

And I'm up to OCdt rank now, this means I am a god amongst Pte's and so on :toot:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I haven't played this since launch and I'm thinking about trying it again this weekend. Time to see all the cool new poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new UI is a godsend. Did some milling about last night. The game always makes me introspective about the horrors of war and I try to spread joy by leaving trucks full of guns unlocked when I desert logoff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
There's talk in our Discord about doing stuff tonight if anyone is interested.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mines and base stockpiles are pretty great for logistics. Too bad no one seems to have gotten the memo since port base HQ is always full on material in uncrated form.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I am not surprised that pubs are as bad at logi as before, with all the QoL improvements making no difference.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

When is this game coming out, I am considering just picking a spare copy to random gift a goon at some point when it drops so we can have numbers to do something other than make gear for pubbies to needlessly waste.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323480383#%23

0.18 Devstream, 1 hour or so.

Video has a bunch of PLEASE STAND BY crap initially, starts for real at 13 mins.
16 mins in: Community Contribution stuff.
22 mins in: Quick go over of dev roadmap
25 mins in: Upcoming Haloween/ zombie horror event, both factions vs. zombies, 1 week duration. Humans must protect a safe-house in the middle of an island, that area can be fortified but all resource buildings & nodes are outside the perimeter. There will also be randomly placed weapons on the map for humans to grab, zeds are melee only. Initial zombie players chosen randomly(?) & human players become zombies after death. Day & night cycle will play a part (Zeds more powerful at night, unknown if daytime affects humans).
37 mins in: 0.18 upcoming stuff/QoL/Balancing stuff. There are adding a 1-click button to stockpile screens to ditch your starter pistol/clips/hammer :hawaaaafap: . They did this to speed things up a smidge & it reduces ground clutter.
41 mins in: Q&A from the peanut gallery

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

MREBoy posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323480383#%23

0.18 Devstream, 1 hour or so.

25 mins in: Upcoming Haloween/ zombie horror event, both factions vs. zombies, 1 week duration. Humans must protect a safe-house in the middle of an island, that area can be fortified but all resource buildings & nodes are outside the perimeter. There will also be randomly placed weapons on the map for humans to grab, zeds are melee only. Initial zombie players chosen randomly(?) & human players become zombies after death. Day & night cycle will play a part (Zeds more powerful at night, unknown if daytime affects humans).

This will bring me back. This sounds fun.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Turd Herder posted:

This will bring me back. This sounds fun.

If the dev I saw on Discord earlier this evening wasn't lying, they are apparently rolling out .18 & possibly this event tomorrow without stopping the world war.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

MREBoy posted:

If the dev I saw on Discord earlier this evening wasn't lying, they are apparently rolling out .18 & possibly this event tomorrow without stopping the world war.

I played this weekend. Sadly they stopped world conquest for this event.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

0.19 dev branch was kicked loose yesterday. Most interesting changes are that they added a "Refined Fuel" to the game, and also you can now upgrade scrap & sulfur mines to an Advanced state where they will produce *both* scrap & sulfur at one location. Probably requires refined fuel to run the Adv. mines as patch notes mention it is "required to power advanced structures". Also Refined fuel powering a vehicle is used at 1/3rd the rate of normal gas. So an indirect buff to tanks and vehicles in general by greatly extending their drive range ? Will be interesting to see how this Mine change works out as it sort of doubles the available mines on a map.

Few other minor tweaks & such, read all about it -> http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2018/11/09/019-Dev-Branch-Released

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

aaand 0.19 is out.

http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2018/11/15/019-Release-Notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I got very fond memories of shotgunning thieves and hobos in this game, but that's pretty much it. It's funny how lone truckers attract exactly the same sort of scum in game as they do in real life.