Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

I don't think Rafa is necessarily the answer either, but weren't a lot of the problems with his reign (I understandably fell out of football a bit by the end) caused by H+G's mismanagement? I.e. he couldn't bring in the players he wanted because there wasn't the funds to do so (or he had to sell players)? I think Rafa under FSG would be a very different prospect, though not touching the exciting football we've seen under Klopp and Rodgers.

rafa was pretty hit or miss with transfers. He had some big wins (Reina, Kuyt, Masch, Torres, Xabi) but seems like he had a lot more stinkers and a couple of outright embarrassments. I may be pessimistic but I feel like more money would have just allowed him more Robbie Keanes and Aquilanis and club legend jermaine pennantses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Rooney pleaded guilty to a drunk.driving charge what's that mean in England cause in the states he'd catch a bunch of terrible PR, have to go to a rehab program and donate a bunch of money

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Rooney pleaded guilty to a drunk.driving charge what's that mean in England cause in the states he'd catch a bunch of terrible PR, have to go to a rehab program and donate a bunch of money

Banned for 2 years and 100 hours community work I think

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bewbies posted:

rafa was pretty hit or miss with transfers. He had some big wins (Reina, Kuyt, Masch, Torres, Xabi) but seems like he had a lot more stinkers and a couple of outright embarrassments. I may be pessimistic but I feel like more money would have just allowed him more Robbie Keanes and Aquilanis and club legend jermaine pennantses.

Perhaps he should have a group of guys around him who could help scout players and arrange transfers

Like a committee for transfers?

Waroduce posted:

He is banned from driving (for two years?), has to pay a fine, and do a bunch of community service.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Defense is overrated anyway

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

He had the Barry Hunter so I don't see what could have gone wrong?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

bewbies posted:

Iirc the only reason Aquilani was signed was because Roma let Liverpool pay like £2m a year for like 5 years.

I think Rafa's eye for transfers is one of his best qualities. I have no problem blaming H&G's thriftiness for almost all of Rafa's transfer flops.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Iirc the only reason Aquilani was signed was because Roma let Liverpool pay like £2m a year for like 5 years.

I think Rafa's eye for transfers is one of his best qualities. I have no problem blaming H&G's thriftiness for almost all of Rafa's transfer flops.

It seemed like Liverpool were decently funded up until those last couple years when the wheels fell off. Before that he had some bit hits and some misses, like any other manager.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Considering that by the end Liverpool were essentially bankrupt (and only avoided the nine-point penalty by arguing that being repossessed isn't the same as going into administration), it wouldn't surprise me at all if Benitez at that point was given the same mandate as Roy Hodgson to go out and sign great players but also to spend no money whatsoever

And now he works for Mike Ashley

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Considering that by the end Liverpool were essentially bankrupt

Mind sourcing that. Never actually heard about that and would be kinda interested to read about it

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

sebzilla posted:

He had the Barry Hunter so I don't see what could have gone wrong?

he missed his quarry

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

Mind sourcing that. Never actually heard about that and would be kinda interested to read about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...at-Anfield.html

It was real bad there for a while. I always felt sorry for Hodgson during that period. He got so much poo poo for his signings, but he was asked to sign star players with a budget of like £5m

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CyberPingu posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/sep/09/rbs-tom-hicks-george-gillett-sell-liverpool

I mean, I'm simplifying a bit for the benefit of the argument - I don't believe that the club itself was ever a loss-making venture in and of itself, but the holding company that Hicks and Gillett ran couldn't service its debts, and the bank assumed direct control and sold the club for basically the exact value of the outstanding loan.

Presumably if they were in any way solvent, they could have gone and refinanced their debts elsewhere rather than letting RBS rinse them. That they didn't pretty much indicates that the cupboards were bare at that point.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Vegetable posted:

It may be, and stick with me here this might be hard to follow, it may be that he's bad in the middle too

He can't tackle, pass or shoot and has absolutely 0 footballing brain. Its amazing he spouts his personal delusions enough that people seem to think he actually is a central player.

Carroll for £35m is a bargain compared to Oxlade-Chamberlain for the same price.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Transfer spend on defenders in the last two windows:

Man Utd: 65m
Chelsea: 105m
Arsenal: 40m
Spurs: 70m
Man City: 220m :eyepop:
Liverpool: 13m

If you're willing to spend more money on Ox than on buying defenders then you deserve all the idiotic set piece goals imo. Even Arsene spends more ffs

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

blue footed boobie posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...at-Anfield.html

It was real bad there for a while. I always felt sorry for Hodgson during that period. He got so much poo poo for his signings, but he was asked to sign star players with a budget of like £5m

this is a bad opinion

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TelekineticBear! posted:

He can't tackle, pass or shoot and has absolutely 0 footballing brain. Its amazing he spouts his personal delusions enough that people seem to think he actually is a central player.

Carroll for £35m is a bargain compared to Oxlade-Chamberlain for the same price.

He's loving terrible and i've hated him at Arsenal for at least three seasons. So glad he's gone. He will be riding the bench soon because Klopp will realize his error unlike Wenger.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Matip and Lovren might both be unavailable for the match against Leicester on Saturday due to injury.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-news-injury-lovren-matip-emre-can-leicester-jurgen-klopp-a7959376.html

Can't wait for Gomez and Klavan to chat poo poo and get banged.

Contrary to what is stated in the report, Can is apparently okay (and Cheese and Vyelkin rejoyced).

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

c0burn posted:

this is a bad opinion

It isn't.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

c0burn posted:

this is a bad opinion

£5m was about 20% of what he spent on Joe Cole's wages

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

people like Konchesky were never good enough and were never going to be

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

people like Konchesky were never good enough and were never going to be

That's not really the point, though. He was trying to make signings when Liverpool had basically no cash on hand. Konchesky was a bad signing for Liverpool, but so was basically anyone else he was going to sign for a couple million pounds.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

£5m was about 20% of what he spent on Joe Cole's wages

Totally forgot about this

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone who tries to claim R*fa is a good manager first needs to explain why forcing xabi Alonso out of the club in an attempt to get Gareth Barry that failed wasn't the worst transfer business between ali dia and oxchambo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

elbkaida posted:

Transfer spend on defenders in the last two windows:

Man Utd: 65m
Chelsea: 105m
Arsenal: 40m
Spurs: 70m
Man City: 220m :eyepop:
Liverpool: 13m

If you're willing to spend more money on Ox than on buying defenders then you deserve all the idiotic set piece goals imo. Even Arsene spends more ffs

Spending money is bad, idiot.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
oh god i forgot about this part of the bust

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Newcastle have only conceded 1 goal in the past 3 games, with a terrible back line (on paper), so I'm jizzing all over Rafa like the most sentimental of scousers rn

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

Anyone who tries to claim R*fa is a good manager first needs to explain why forcing xabi Alonso out of the club in an attempt to get Gareth Barry that failed wasn't the worst transfer business between ali dia and oxchambo

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/09/19/former-liverpool-boss-rafa-benitez-explains-why-he-wanted-to-swap-xabi-alonso-for-gareth-barry/

The reasoning involved the fact that Barry could play on the left. The whole idea is a bit of a mess and I think trying to make Liverpool a league challenger on a budget screwed up his brain.

quote:

“Barry was perfect: he could play as a central midfielder, of course, but he had some experience as an attacking left-back, which would be a useful option for home games where we were expected to go forward, and even as a left-winger.

“We knew we would have to sell players that summer if we were to raise the funds to bring in the reinforcements – and, in particular, the British reinforcements – we needed,” he wrote.

“That would require parting company with one of our current squad members who would fetch a substantial fee. We decided that the most likely candidate was Xabi Alonso, who had been a great player for us since we signed him from Real Sociedad, but had not quite performed to his best in the last couple of years.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
How does Alonso not quite perform at Liverpool then end up playing great for Madrid? Obviously it wasn't him

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How does Alonso not quite perform at Liverpool then end up playing great for Madrid? Obviously it wasn't him

I think Alonso asked to leave and Liverpool fans tried to fabricate some sort of story to rationalize it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

He was playing really well at the time. It was just monumentally stupid of Rafa.

Shrapnig posted:

I think Alonso asked to leave and Liverpool fans tried to fabricate some sort of story to rationalize it.

I seem to remember him asking to leave after The whole Barry thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Contrary to what is stated in the report, Can is apparently okay (and Cheese and Vyelkin rejoyced).

lol he bad

imo Liverpool should try out co-managers again, let Klopp coach the front four and let Rafa coach the defence. The Transfer Committee can sign all the players. It's a foolproof plan and in the end we'll get relegated :thumbsup:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

blue footed boobie posted:

He was playing really well at the time. It was just monumentally stupid of Rafa.

I remember him having a drop in form at the end of his final season. But given his contributions to the club, it was foolish to write him off so quickly.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/910861681101873152
not a surprise, I suppose

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bea Nanner posted:

I remember him having a drop in form at the end of his final season. But given his contributions to the club, it was foolish to write him off so quickly.

I wonder if his drop in form had anything to do with the manager trying to ship him out to make space for garreth barry lol

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Byolante posted:

In other words if H&G weren't broke scam artists Liverpool would've had a midfield rotation of Barry, Xabi Alonso, Masch and Gerrard.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Just in case you need any more proof the transfer market is broken, Guardian says the fee is £57m. They signed him three years ago for 32m and I'm pretty sure he never signed another contract. So he went from "25" to "28" and has two years left and is refusing to play or sign for any other club and somehow that led to his value almost doubling.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Athletico gets more money for selling players now too. The market being broken goes both ways.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nobody's gonna buy the grumpy autist who ruined the world cup for both spain and brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vegetable posted:

Athletico gets more money for selling players now too. The market being broken goes both ways.

Yeah they can cover that fee and then some when United sign Griezmann in January.

• Locked thread