Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

God I love to get hosed by a cheating AI. I formed Spain as Castille and Naples was my ally because Aragon was a shithead and lost the union over them before I got the union over Aragon. I go to invade Rome which will be a good base to launch into the rest of Italy. Naples said they will join the war. Except that they don't. They start their own war and completely ignore my call to arms. A player isn't allowed to start a new war while they have a call to arms but I guess Naples can gently caress me like that. We are still allied because he never dishonored the call the call was just ignored instead because the cheating ai cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jay Rust posted:

How much Paradox manpower is spent making sure each possible start date is historically accurate, because they should probably lay that guy off, sad to say

Depends on how you see it. We pretty much have 0 people dedicated to that, including the 1444 date. But you could also argue that it is 100% of the manpower since everyone kind of collectively contributes to that.
It's a bit of a superposition thing here, everyone gets the boot and no one does at the same time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tahirovic posted:

It almost always involves either Ming or that affected nation picking up exploration ideas. It seems like it's not the capital but any province that counts for tributary mechanics.
I'd still favor disabling the option of becoming a tributary trough diplomacy, it's just stupid. Make Ming fight for it's income.

Yeah, if Ming takes exploration it can get especially ridiculous with tributaries from south Africa or even California.

I feel like making Ming fight for all its tributaries isn’t really going to change much though. Ming can still easily crush all its neighbors at any given time so that is just a time delay added to the current system. My pet hypothetical change would be to link Mandate and tributaries to individual emperors rather than the nation as a whole. Each ruler starts with low mandate, maybe even no mandate (dependent on stats maybe?) because nobody has any idea if he is any good or not yet. If he can get all the neighbors as tributaries he will be able to get plenty of mandate and maybe even pass a reform or two if he lasts a while, but when a new ruler takes over there will probably be a window of opportunity for outsiders to pick off tributaries before Ming can secure their loyalty again.

e: this would also help alleviate the problem of Ming passing all their reforms by 1600 and then never dipping below 90 mandate at any other time, which happens in basically every single game

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 28, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I Love You! posted:

That seems to be a pretty big bug

Yeah, I've gotten this bug too. One day my Cape trade company was giving me a merchant; the next, gone. And the subjects tab still claims I'm getting a merchant!

Also, is army professionalism as much of a pain as I think it is? There's a small discount on Cradle of Civilization on green man gaming and it got me thinking.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
I just presumed paradox did its fact checking by feedback from angry nationalists on the pdx forums.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, I've gotten this bug too. One day my Cape trade company was giving me a merchant; the next, gone. And the subjects tab still claims I'm getting a merchant!

Also, is army professionalism as much of a pain as I think it is? There's a small discount on Cradle of Civilization on green man gaming and it got me thinking.

Army professionalism isn’t really bothersome tbh. Your armies get a couple of situationally useful powers over time, generals are cheaper, you can conserve manpower, a couple of decent events, all you have to do is drill when you can afford to. I still wish you could set armies to drill automatically, but it’s not that bad. By around 1600 you can usually get close to 100% and stay close to it for the rest of the game.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

oddium posted:

start a war, offer to become their vassal in the peace deal, get your independence supported by their rivals and take land in the peace deal

this might not work but it's worth trying

Thanks for the advice, it worked! Qara Qoyunlu DOWed me and I became their vassal. I was able to get Mamluks and that Shi'ite country in southern Iraq to support me and I took Tabriz and some other provinces in the independence war. From there it was a just a matter of picking off my weaker neighbours until I was able to form Persia and get Shahanshah.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

skasion posted:

I feel like making Ming fight for all its tributaries isn’t really going to change much though. Ming can still easily crush all its neighbors at any given time so that is just a time delay added to the current system.

Well if it can't easily get tributaries beyond its neighbors that'd fix a big part of the issue. Might still be a bit of a bandaid fix though, I'm seriously hoping we'll see some proper changes next patch since it seems to be about Southeast Asia.

Also that makes sense about exploration being the cause of it, huh. Actually there was a big phase where I'd see Mamluks colonizing practically every game but I haven't seen it in a while now, I wonder what changed or if it's just from a limited sample size.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I like professionalism quite a bit. It's handy being able to get an infusion of manpower in exchange for having to run more maintenance in the future to make up for it. Not sure why it needs to be it's own thing since army tradition already exists and having bonuses for having X tradition would have accomplished the same thing but whatever.

Also why do sailors still exist? Can we just admit that they're a mistake and remove them already?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Man, there is some ultra bullshit you can pull off with all of the new tag changes and decisions introduced with CoC. Both the "adopt Mamluk government" and "reform Timurids" decisions let you inherit cores from the previously on-map tags so theoretically you can avoid coring huge amounts of territory by handing provinces to vassals and only coring the provinces you need to own for the appropriate decisions (you can then diplo annex said vassals at zero cost since you have cores) or otherwise breaking up those tags by having them split between multiple other tags (mostly relevant to Timurids). Forming Timurids also gives you a huge swathe of permaclaims in line with the height of the Timurid Empire and then once you've absorbed all of that territory you can tag switch to Mughals and get free permaclaims on all of India! There's then the optional mega bonus of getting broken by pagan rebels so you can then go conquer enough of China to form Yuan but that's kind of a huge pain in the rear end.

The only downside of this is that it sticks you with the Iqta government (which isn't even that bad) but if you're willing to do culture fuckery you can form Rum or Persia afterwards (forming Persia should be fairly easy if you culture shift to Persian ASAP immediately after forming Timurids you can click the button as soon as you form Mamluks, and most of your power base is going to be in Iran for the majority of the early game anyway so it makes sense).

This is what you get in terms of claims + cores after doing all that poo poo, you actually have an unbroken line of permaclaims from Egypt to Bengal :stonk:

Another fun thing about this is that it moves your capital to Cairo, i.e. Africa, so you can make all of India into trade companies.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 27, 2017

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

persian persia

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would it be a good idea to make the quality idea group give a bonus to drilling somewhere, instead of the extra discipline?
Is the decision for extra drilling speed worth it? +15% land cost is a lot.

Personally I'd really like if support rebels practically guaranteed a revolt. Currently it doesn't do anything at all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

now I want to see if I can make french france. Or Italian italia.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

Would it be a good idea to make the quality idea group give a bonus to drilling somewhere, instead of the extra discipline?
Is the decision for extra drilling speed worth it? +15% land cost is a lot.

I don't think they'll remove something for a DLC-only thing. It would have to do both, so those without still get something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well yes. Some idea groups give a trickle of extra loyalty with estates but you only get that bonus if you have the estate dlc I believe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are plenty of ideas that give DLC-only bonuses, they just get replaced by something else if you don't have it. The -20% development cost for economic ideas becomes +20% goods produced if you don't have Common Sense, for example.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uh oh, I've gone past 1500 hours. That's... over two months of constant playtime. :shepicide:

I just had a whole bunch of really really bad rulers but then I suddenly got a really good one! Who turned out to be a naive babbling buffoon. :allears:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm playing the Commonwealth and suddenly find myself to have been elected HRE. There must be a shortage of Catholics in the empire from centers of reformation running rampant. Despite that the protestant league only has two formidable members in France and Burgundy.

What do I do with my new powers?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Use them for evil and cackle maniacally?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Emperor can't fight to keep you from annexing member states when you ARE the emperor.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wooper posted:

I'm playing the Commonwealth and suddenly find myself to have been elected HRE. There must be a shortage of Catholics in the empire from centers of reformation running rampant. Despite that the protestant league only has two formidable members in France and Burgundy.

What do I do with my new powers?

Destroy them from the inside.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

Well if it can't easily get tributaries beyond its neighbors that'd fix a big part of the issue. Might still be a bit of a bandaid fix though, I'm seriously hoping we'll see some proper changes next patch since it seems to be about Southeast Asia.

Also that makes sense about exploration being the cause of it, huh. Actually there was a big phase where I'd see Mamluks colonizing practically every game but I haven't seen it in a while now, I wonder what changed or if it's just from a limited sample size.

It is a bandaid fix. But it's something they could literally implement today, roll out with the bug fix patch and then work on a proper fix. Alternatively they could make the diplo micro manager free so I can just turn of MoH.

uPen posted:

I like professionalism quite a bit. It's handy being able to get an infusion of manpower in exchange for having to run more maintenance in the future to make up for it. Not sure why it needs to be it's own thing since army tradition already exists and having bonuses for having X tradition would have accomplished the same thing but whatever.

Also why do sailors still exist? Can we just admit that they're a mistake and remove them already?

Because you can't sell "expanded army tradition" as an expansion feature. Professionalism as a separate bar is silly, it already kinda suffers from lack of integration. Have you seen any link between the Nobility estate and it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Because you can't sell "expanded army tradition" as an expansion feature. Professionalism as a separate bar is silly, it already kinda suffers from lack of integration. Have you seen any link between the Nobility estate and it?

I've had at least one event which let you choose between pissed off nobility and professionalism or happy nobility and AT instead. That's about it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

I've had at least one event which let you choose between pissed off nobility and professionalism or happy nobility and AT instead. That's about it.

Doesn't it also have burgher loyalty too?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just got Cossacks. The estates seem to be a straight up power increase. You sacrifice a little autonomy in some provinces and in return you can shake them up for monarch points every now and again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Just got Cossacks. The estates seem to be a straight up power increase. You sacrifice a little autonomy in some provinces and in return you can shake them up for monarch points every now and again.

And there's no downside when you assign estates to recently-conquered land with autonomy, with the upside that you get to make full use of one of the province's key attributes right away.

Don't forget that you have the ability to set provinces of interest now, which your allies will see and grant you in peace treaties if they lead the wars. Being able to tell your allies what to give you is huge.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the favor system sucks. they already agreed to ally me, let me immediately swing them around like a club to smash people way stronger than me

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

the favor system sucks. they already agreed to ally me, let me immediately swing them around like a club to smash people way stronger than me

You can, all you have to do is (pretend to) have something in it for them (and then screw them in the peace anyway).

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

Actually it owns sorry

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yes... finally earned 10 Bohemia Fun Bucks. now to redeem them at the prize counter for a set of berlin-shaped vampire teeth

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

yes... finally earned 10 Bohemia Fun Bucks. now to redeem them at the prize counter for a set of berlin-shaped vampire teeth

that only makes it sound more fun

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The favor system should be in the game by default. It's a weird expansion feature since those tend to be either strict buffs in some way or really flashy. This is fleshing out a core system that was plain before into something more detailed and interesting. It's the kind of thing you expect to see in free patches, like institutions (though institutions were a much more dramatic overhaul).

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I really think older expansions should just be rolled into the base game by now. Or at least, the global mechanics like transferring provinces, development, estates, and favors. Hell maybe if parliaments are free too those would get improved.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

really queer Christmas posted:

I really think older expansions should just be rolled into the base game by now.

I really think older expansions should just be rolled into the base game by now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It would also solve the problem of a new player seeing a 200 dollar price tag. Oh well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Friend gifted me the latest DLC and I played it some over the weekend, did a Rassids->Yemen start.

Some observations:
-It's really tough to build Mysticism as a minority school of Islam since you'll be getting Legalism from declaring war on all your neighbors and conversions.
-It's also really tough to get alliances with the penalty for disliked schools of Islam.

Rassids have great NIs and the Feudal Theocracy government which is cool, but they start surrounded by nations with hostile schools of Islam so you're diplomatically isolated. You also have a rebellion to deal with but that's actually a good thing -- you can restart until the pretender ruler has good stats, let them occupy one extra province and bam the pretender takes over with 95 legitimacy and good MP income.

The key to the early game is to be cautious and opportunistic, it's not hard to beat the other minors but since you're unlikely to have any decent or nearby allies, your best bet is to wait until your neighbors are at war with someone else and pounce.

Imo there needs to be more ways to get Mysticism, it seems a lot harder to go low-piety than high-piety Legalism which in turn makes conversion a lot tougher since you're not likely to have missionary strength from Mysticism.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They did recently introduce an essential DLC bundle (is that recent? I can't remember), but it's only like a 10% discount. I know we probably sound like total cheapskates to pdox when we complain about discounts not being as low as they used to get during sale events (50% for DLC instead of 75%), or bundle discounts not being high enough, or paradox not giving us enough free poo poo, or whatever, but seriously, the price tag on all the DLC is getting outrageous.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If they're not going to do EU5, they should declare a wrap on 'Season 1' of EU4, roll everything into one package, spend 9-12 months combing, adjusting, tweaking and adding poo poo, and then roll out EU4 season 2 with a big expansion and everything prior rolled into the base game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I get the idea of offering feedback on the game or mechanics

There are so many people involved in Paradox business model and they are a public company that I don't quite understand the constant repetition of "CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL"

maybe they will and maybe they won't, I'm not sure 100 posts on the topic will change things

apparently I'm in the minority and it's very important to let Paradox know that forum posters know how they should run their business, if they'd only listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Friend gifted me the latest DLC and I played it some over the weekend, did a Rassids->Yemen start.

Some observations:
-It's really tough to build Mysticism as a minority school of Islam since you'll be getting Legalism from declaring war on all your neighbors and conversions.
-It's also really tough to get alliances with the penalty for disliked schools of Islam.

Rassids have great NIs and the Feudal Theocracy government which is cool, but they start surrounded by nations with hostile schools of Islam so you're diplomatically isolated. You also have a rebellion to deal with but that's actually a good thing -- you can restart until the pretender ruler has good stats, let them occupy one extra province and bam the pretender takes over with 95 legitimacy and good MP income.

The key to the early game is to be cautious and opportunistic, it's not hard to beat the other minors but since you're unlikely to have any decent or nearby allies, your best bet is to wait until your neighbors are at war with someone else and pounce.

Imo there needs to be more ways to get Mysticism, it seems a lot harder to go low-piety than high-piety Legalism which in turn makes conversion a lot tougher since you're not likely to have missionary strength from Mysticism.

You can still convert moderately well with just Feudal Theocracy and various other modifiers which can be managed (edicts, clergy estate, inquisitor advisor). Number of missionaries is typically a bigger restriction on your conversion speed, rather than missionary power, so getting +1 from your government type is extremely powerful. And you can get full permanent 100 legalism bonuses along with the corruption reduction every 5 years in exchange for not worrying about mysticism at all, which seems like a drat good deal to me. I do agree that because of DoWs impacting the slider it's far too hard to actually choose to go for mysticism over legalism. I feel like this might get revisited in the next patch.

Rassids advice: start expanding into SE Africa ASAP, Arabia is just going to cause AE problems. Once you have like 5 gold provinces the game gets a lot easier.