Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Episode 13: The theme is a metaphor for its financial situation

Hey Armand. So… how's everything going?

I've been doing better thanks to you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

Think nothing of it Armand. It's what friends are for or have you forgotten?

How's Delia doing?

I haven't talked to her in a while actually… I don't know what to tell her. I'm just afraid I'll mess everything up again once I see her.

Don't worry too much Armand. You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out.

Even Armand's not buying that one, Klaus.

To digress for a bit, our numbers for the F1 restaurant have been fantastic so far wouldn't you say?

As you said: fantastic. I think we're on to something here.

I'm glad you said that Armand. Which brings me to my next point…

Considering our progress with the restaurant, I think it's a good time for us to expand our operations.

What do you have in mind?

Hmm, well… I don't know. It's part of the reason I came to talk to you actually. I was hoping you had some good ideas on the direction that we should take our next establishment.

I did like the sound of that underwater theme you told me about before. We could dress up the place into a sort of underwater palace. Deep sea fishes, plant life, seashells, the works! The place would look amazing I think. Why don't we go for that then?

Yes, now that you describe it like that, I am liking that idea better. Yeah, we should do that. And we should name it after your missus!

What?! Why?

Well, you've been trying to think up a way to get back to Delia's good side haven't you? And you told me before that that was exactly how you impressed Delia when you guys first started going out right? Naming your restaurant after her will be your chance to win her back.

Hmm… Delia has always been very fond of diving and the sea… You know this could work… You're a swell guy Klaus.

As long as we're making money, I'm always a swell guy haha…

I mean, impressing Delia with stupid stunts like that has worked in the past. Just make sure that the restaurant you name after her isn't really ugl…

Hello Del.

Nevermind. :sigh:

Armand. Like what you've done to the place. And the name, I like that too. It's very flattering.

It was the only way I could get you to meet me.

That's not true; it's never the only way.

Although it does seem that you're finally on your way back again. Things must be going well.

Some things have been. Others are… still up in the air.

I guess so… For a while there though, I actually thought it was over between us when…

Del, please. I need to tell you something…

What?

I've lied to you. I did see another woman. I lied to you and I'm ashamed of it.

All my life, I thought that the world revolved around me: that I was a success because I willed myself to be one. My ego has clouded me from seeing what's real.

I've resented you and hurt you because of that. And it took a colossal failure and another woman for me to understand that none of my success was because of me… but because you were there with me.

I know this is something you didn't want to hear, and I would understand if you don't want to get back together… Delia, believe me when I say that I am truly sor…

I'm ashamed of myself. And I am so… sorry.

Stop. Stop it.

You had me at hello.

I heard that from a movie.

I love you…

I know you do.

Well, that was easy. Thank God Delia is such a pushover.

And we have a new restaurant!

Welcome to Delia's Aqua. Aqua I believe is a Latin word which roughly translates to "a sucker".

Based on the incredibly tacky sea-themed décor, you might be led to believe that this is a seafood restaurant. You would be wrong! This is a traditional French restaurant located in downtown Paris, celebrating the city's rich maritime history and the incredible diversity of its coastal flora and fauna.

Oh, Paris is a hundred miles inland? I'm sorry, my bad!

I'll set up this restaurant in a moment, but first, let's go to The Speed Trap and check out its tastefully renovated décor.

Oh, it's an abomination? I'm sorry, my bad!

While the race track downstairs follows the ludicrously offensive CCC décor style, going upstairs to the ABC feels like a relief. Most of the floor is taken up by the ridiculously huge stage at the back of the room. I've signed up a Christian rock group named Rapture to play there every day from 18:00. I've never actually tried doing that, so I look forward to seeing what they've got!

Our first guests RUDELY ignore all the traffic cones and flashing signs and just cross over the middle in order to get to their tables, instead of doing a lap around the circuit. I ought to have them thrown out, but we're still not quite out of debt.

We will be very soon, though! Between all our restaurants, we made more than $220,000 last month. Of this, Treize à Table made around $108,000, Heiliger Klaus $68,000 and The Speed Trap $65,000 for a total of $241,000. Meanwhile, all the cafés and patisseries put together can't even cover our $60,000 research fees.

I can't get over these chairs. And the grown adults sitting in them, sipping wine and eating roast guinea fowl with rosemary while going "VROOM! VROOM!"

Meanwhile, in Delia's Aqua, we have a total of one guest. It seems the Delecoeur curse has followed us even to this traditional French restaurant. I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to make this place decently profitable with a few hundred thousand dollars' worth of advertising, though.

Chefs come in and ask to work for us every once in a while. However, I believe this goonlord is the first chef to tell us that our food is loving garbage while he's applying for a job here. I give his application my most earnest consideration.

Meanwhile LET'S GIVE IT UP FOR RAPTUUURE! Woo, we'll hopefully be spared the apocalypse!

I buy a new dessert recipe during the concert. It's pretty decent. A blessing!

And also this. Finally, a proper German recipe!

During the mission, our recipe research pays off with another batch of recipes. This is our new German appetizer, scallops in chive sauce. Flush with profits from our handful of good restaurants, Armand sprung for almost half a sprig of chives for the sauce!

This is our new German soup. It's not the beer soup, so who cares. I am, however, impressed that they managed to make a soup out of 230 grams of cabbage and 20 millilitres of chicken stock.

This is a really good German main: garlic cloves in wine with a sprinkling of pike-perch.

And our last German recipe, an incredibly good German dessert.

We also researched this American main.

And a decent Italian soup. This helps diversify our repertoire, as we have very few Italian and American recipes. Of course, we don't have any Italian or American restaurants yet, so it's not an urgent issue.

After a couple of months, I have to acknowledge that Delia's Aqua is failing. I'll have to bring in the big guns.

Armand! Save this restaurant!

Throughout the game, I've been buying lots of items for boosting chefs' cooking skill. The ones that boosted café and patisserie cooking I gave to Delia and Jules, everything else I dumped on Armand. As a result, Armand is now a master of basically every cuisine. He's also a celebrity chef, which should hopefully draw in more customers. If anyone can save this restaurant, it's Armand.

It turns out to be extremely difficult to fix Delia's Aqua. Even with Armand and months of advertising, I'm barely getting any customers, but we have a profit target of $30,000 for the mission. Hopefully we'll be able to scrape by on the last month, but it's looking dicey.

With the mission deadline approaching, I remember that we also have a dessert competition to win.

Round one, cakes! We are making our excellent marble cake. At this point, I'm very concerned that Jules' cooking skill with this recipe hasn't gone up at all since the last contest. Do they get literally no customers at our patisseries?

Woah. :stare: I might need to take this one seriously.

Okay, nougat parfait for round two. This is a really good recipe, so if we can't win this round, I'm in trouble.

That's better. We're ahead by a little bit, but we're not out of the woods yet.

Round three, we're going with the jelly roll. It's a good thing we completely researched all types of patisserie recipes. I didn't do any patisserie research the first time I played through this game, and this was painful.

Team Brown Cookie screwed up on round three, so we should be pretty safe now.

Finishing with our savoury cheese éclairs.

These baking competitions are getting cutthroat. But we win!

We win a rice pudding recipe that we have already researched. What a ripoff!

And mercifully we barely meet the mission objectives. This was a pretty tough mission. Really had to wring the guests for every last cent.

Clearly, the problem with Delia's Aqua must be the décor. If this restaurant is going to be of any use to us at all, I'll need your help more than ever before!

These are the wall, floor and table options for Delia's Aqua.

And these are the wall- and floor-mounted decorations. It's fish.

Thread poll: what décor should we have in Delia's Aqua?

Vote on wall, floor and table design. For example, to vote for wall type C, floor type D and table type B, vote "CDB". The winning combination will be whatever has the most votes when I play the next mission. Also, let me know if you want me to add any of the floor or wall decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BEB

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh my god, these theme restaurants are so awful I'm speechless. I didn't even realize that the sea themed restaurant hadn't been redecorated by us yet.

That said, I'm going to have to go with BED for the decor there.

In all honesty the tableset B looks worse, but forcing our guests to eat dinner while seated on tiny stools with no leg room is a really rear end in a top hat thing to do so I'm going with it. If we could also use those room dividers to make a 'hall of mirrors' effect that would be great as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want sharks EVERYWHERE!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

BEB for that real "drowning at sea" look.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Is it possible to just burn down the aqua restaurant and get the insurance claim on it to buy a better one?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Sure, BEB.

I miss the mosaic fish tables from RE1 :(

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Is it possible to just burn down the aqua restaurant and get the insurance claim on it to buy a better one?

Man, I wish. I hate Delia's Aqua. I actually had to restart the mission because it's really unreasonably hard. Maybe I could replace one of the wallpapers with a flame texture so it'll at least look like it's burning to the ground.

Nondevor posted:

I miss the mosaic fish tables from RE1 :(

Right? They already had a really good ocean-themed restaurant, but they decided to make an uglier and less charming one!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I unironically like wallpaper C.

That's literally it, though.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
FBD and lots of those greenish fish so they blend in.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I thought this was the Krusty Krab. The design is horrible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Jesus, even the outside of this restaurant is hideous.

On that note, BEB.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding that.

I don't know why, but I thought our German buddy would sabotage us, but it looks like he was just trying to help from the start! :3

Also, I guess uncle Michel died offscreen or something? We haven't seen that old rear end in a top hat at all in this game.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's too bad there's no pictures in the aqua restaurant, should be Sharks everywhere on the walls and pictures of Mark Cuban and Kevin O'Leary

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good lord. It's like they decided "let's make a completely goofy sequel!" and then hired a sitcom writer to do the storyline.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Enchanted Hat posted:

I've lied to you. I did see another woman. I lied to you and I'm ashamed of it.

All my life, I thought that the world revolved around me: that I was a success because I willed myself to be one. My ego has clouded me from seeing what's real.

I've resented you and hurt you because of that. And it took a colossal failure and another woman for me to understand that none of my success was because of me… but because you were there with me.

I know this is something you didn't want to hear, and I would understand if you don't want to get back together… Delia, believe me when I say that I am truly sor…

I'm ashamed of myself. And I am so… sorry.

What the hell. :psyduck:

Can I just take a moment to appreciate this? This whole game, Armand has been such a douchenozzle, I didn't expect him to come to that realization. Hell, I wasn't even sure the writers were there. This game goes from zany to heartfelt so fast it gives off whiplish, but now in a weird way that's become part of the charm.

Now, onto the decor of our new restaurant...yikes. Those walls and floors are all so visually terrible. Well, let's see what we can do, and make this place look like The Krusty Krab as much as possible: CCC Also, seconding sharks everywhere!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Enchanted Hat posted:

You had me at hello.

“. . .”

Really game? Really??

Enchanted Hat posted:

Thread poll: what décor should we have in Delia's Aqua?

Vote: AAB

We’re going for the ‘scummy fish pond’ look!!

For decorations, as many of those ‘green fish schools’ you can stick on the walls, and as many of those brown ‘coral reef’ thingies you can fit on the floor.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CourValant posted:

“. . .”

Really game? Really??

seriously, that would've actually been a really good scene if Delia is just relieved he's back, or grudgeoningly forgives him, but to throw in a dumb reference like that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I appreciate that they have Armand realize how badly he hosed up. I don't so much appreciate that Delia is so ridiculously quick to forgive. Like, yeesh. Make him earn that redemption.

Maybe Delia just loves sea-themed things?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

habeasdorkus posted:

I appreciate that they have Armand realize how badly he hosed up. I don't so much appreciate that Delia is so ridiculously quick to forgive. Like, yeesh. Make him earn that redemption.

Maybe Delia just loves sea-themed things?

"I'm so sorry baby. Here's my apology gift: a terribly-designed aquatic-themed restaurant that looks absolutely hideous."

"YOU KNOW ME SO WELL!"

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

BEB

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FEA

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

:same:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Are there no booth options for the Aquatic restaurants because I still want to try to torture guests by forcing them to share tables with strangers.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I'm usually a fan of turning every restaurant into an eyesore, but in this case the default setup cannot be beaten. Let's try salvaging this dumpster fire purely for variety's sake:

EEC, the leftmost sconce, and that golden clam pedestal thing. That's it. Bare bones but bearable beige bolstered by bitumen-esque blue.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug

Enchanted Hat posted:

And our last German recipe, an incredibly good German dessert.

I guess the "variation" is to see how much pineapple you can substitute with sugar before anyone complains.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

CourValant posted:

quote:

You had me at hello.
“. . .”

Really game? Really??

Yeah, I really don't like that scene. Not just because it's a stupid thing to say, but also because she's essentially saying "I don't even need an apology, I'm just so glad you're back, dearest Armand!" You DO need an apology, Delia! Come on, stand up for yourself!

Jack2142 posted:

Are there no booth options for the Aquatic restaurants because I still want to try to torture guests by forcing them to share tables with strangers.

There are booth options, but this is the wrong restaurant in which to try that. Even during lunch and dinner when the restaurant is at its busiest, we would struggle to fill two of those large four-person tables. This restaurant is basically a ghost town. We'll be getting a new large restaurant shortly, though, so we can go with booths for that one.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Let's go CEA since I like the idea of us attempting to make at least one restaurant look better than it started.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Quote is not edit, derp.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

BEB! The decor is as hideous as Armand's personality!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Catalina posted:

What the hell. :psyduck:

Can I just take a moment to appreciate this? This whole game, Armand has been such a douchenozzle, I didn't expect him to come to that realization. Hell, I wasn't even sure the writers were there. This game goes from zany to heartfelt so fast it gives off whiplish, but now in a weird way that's become part of the charm.

What realization? The fact that his success was REALLY all because of Delia? That's blatantly untrue - he DID succeed because he tried for it, and Delia didn't do squat to help except fill a position his employers wanted a woman in. It WOULD have been a heartfelt speech if it made any sense in the context of the actual events of the story, instead it just comes off as half-assedly patched together.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

John Lee posted:

What realization? The fact that his success was REALLY all because of Delia? That's blatantly untrue - he DID succeed because he tried for it, and Delia didn't do squat to help except fill a position his employers wanted a woman in. It WOULD have been a heartfelt speech if it made any sense in the context of the actual events of the story, instead it just comes off as half-assedly patched together.

Oh no, my standards are not nearly that high for the writing in this game. I meant that Armand coming to the realization that he had been an rear end in a top hat, and apologizing for it. I had assumed that the with how everything just kept coming onto Armand, gameplay wise, and how passive his character was about it, the writers weren't even aware that Armand was doing anything wrong.

Now, the degree of how much they realize he's being an rear end in a top hat, that's still up in the air...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

There are booth options, but this is the wrong restaurant in which to try that. Even during lunch and dinner when the restaurant is at its busiest, we would struggle to fill two of those large four-person tables. This restaurant is basically a ghost town. We'll be getting a new large restaurant shortly, though, so we can go with booths for that one.

If I remember right the seafood restaurant was a ghost town in the last game too, what is with RE and terribly trafficked seafood places.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

CourValant posted:

We’re going for the ‘scummy fish pond’ look!!
For decorations, as many of those ‘green fish schools’ you can stick on the walls, and as many of those brown ‘coral reef’ thingies you can fit on the floor.
:yeshaha:

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

I'm usually a fan of turning every restaurant into an eyesore, but in this case the default setup cannot be beaten. Let's try salvaging this dumpster fire purely for variety's sake:
EEC, the leftmost sconce, and that golden clam pedestal thing. That's it. Bare bones but bearable beige bolstered by bitumen-esque blue.

Keldulas posted:

Let's go CEA since I like the idea of us attempting to make at least one restaurant look better than it started.
But these also bring up good points.

My compromise:
Make it look semi-decent with for example EFA, but also use the weird room dividers, wall-sharks and dolphin statues to create an "aquarium" in a corner or part of the room.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

John Lee posted:

I like to imagine that the speech is actually supposed to be half-assedly patched together. It's just Armand making up a bunch of poo poo to try to get Delia to forgive him, he knows full well it isn't true. If anyone, it's his uncle and Don Corleone that helped get him where he is today.

Jack2142 posted:

If I remember right the seafood restaurant was a ghost town in the last game too, what is with RE and terribly trafficked seafood places.

The seafood restaurants have terrible traffic, but all the seafood recipes are incredibly high quality! I just can't figure out these crazy game designers.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Gonna go with the consensus and vote BEB for maximum blue.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 14: Nice restaurant. For a CLOWN.

You look particularly jolly today, Armand. I take it you've patched things up with the missus then?

Yes, with the help of 'Delia's Aqua' I was finally able to talk things over with her. We aired out all our differences, compromised and promised to be completely honest with each other from now on.

I like how Armand says that they "compromised" and promised to be completely honest "with each other" even though Delia has never been anything but honest and faithful.

Now everything's back to how it was the first time. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice Klaus.

I'm just glad things worked out for you… Speaking of which, our restaurants have been working out well lately. I think we would do well to continue with expansions just like the last time…

I'm not so hot about it to be honest. We don't have a lot of those in the restaurant business, so I'm kinda skeptical.

I'm going out on a limb here and guess you still have that TV show at the back of your mind don't you?

I guess… I just don't want to get burned badly again Klaus. My heart can only take so much failure. I would prefer to take it slow.

We have been taking it slow Armand. If we were being aggressive about it, we would've had our third theme restaurant months ago. I'm speaking to you as a friend now, Armand.

I'm not going to let you down. If nothing else, we'll both get into big trouble if this whole thing goes up in flames. So what do you say?

… I trust you Klaus and I trust your judgment. You helped me save my marriage and I guess that's always something… Alright, let's do this.

Nice to hear it my friend. And I've got a cracking theme for our next restaurant as well. You ready for this?

What is it?

The rainforest. Think gourmet cooking in Tarzan's kingdom. You like?

Works for me Klaus. Works for me…

A rainforest-themed restaurant? After seeing The Speed Trap, nothing surprises me anymore.

The interior is pretty boring, but we'll soon do something about that.

But first, let's have a look at the new and improved Delia's Aqua!

That is, if you DARE!

In the first place, only those who brave the treacherous waters of the hall of mirrors sharks will be seated.

Those who reach the perilous depths of Delia's Aqua will find themselves in a mysterious deep sea coral reef, being served mysterious recipes from our mysterious menu.

And then? You'll just have to be there!

Let's celebrate our wonderful renovation of Delia's Aqua by redoing the façade as well! Before…

And AFTER!

Gorgeous. Now what to do about the rainforest restaurant?

Unfortunately, the default layout and the starting decoration options aren't super interesting. It's also more "safari lodge" than actual rainforest. That'll get better once I get some furniture suppliers through the course of this mission.

For now, I'm thinking "severed heads and spiders".

The restaurant's cuisine is American. It's called the "Rain and Forest Grill", suggesting a traditional grill restaurant. However, the game can't actually control recipes more finely than by national cuisine, so nothing is stopping me by filling the restaurant's menu with the game's unusually high-quality American seafood dishes and ignoring grilled food entirely. I am not saying that that is what I am going to do, only that that is for sure what I am going to do.

Nothing like a breakfast of three pounds of fried potatoes, eaten while sitting on a cold, hard rock next to a severed head, eh, Abe?

Things are going quite well at the Rain and Forest Grill so far, but I feel like the restaurant could use a little more je ne sais quoi. Surely there must be a way for us to make it even more ridiculous. Let's go home and think about it, see if we get inspired somehow.

Hey hon. What're you workin on over there?

What, this? Oh, it's nothing. Just my notes for a few recipes I'm trying out.

Wow that's a lot of recipes you've got there…

If you look closely, each sheet of paper has at most six giant lines of text on it. Armand must have a child's handwriting.

Oh, this is nothing. You should see what I have upstairs; I've got a whole box of them stored in the closet.

Hey I have an idea, maybe we could compile some of these recipes of yours into a book, I've got a friend, Samantha, who works in the book publishing business. I'm sure she could help us out.

I don't know Del, it took me a very long time to make these recipes perfect. I don't know if I can part with them that easily…

:downs: "Ninety-eight… no… ninety-nine teaspoons of cinnamon? No, it's still not quite right…"

Well… how about we don't turn it into a cooking book and instead we do it as a coffee table book with some recipes included.

It could look like a diary of your journey through world cuisine. You could write about the exotic foods you've tasted in your travels and the recipes you've created that were inspired by those.

This way you don't need to list a lot of recipes that you don't want to reveal to the public. And I'm sure the market doesn't have a lot of these coffee table books about world cuisine from a renowned chef!

Hmm… a picture book instead of a recipe book. That's an interesting idea.

I could call Samantha and set up a meeting with her if you like. She and I go way back.

Yeah hon. I like this idea. Let's do this.

SOoo… I wanted to talk to you about an idea of mine for the rainforest place…

Sure, what about it?

I thought that maybe we could take a more unconventional route with regards to the entertainment…

Sounds good to me. What ya have in mind?

The circus… our own small-scale circus act inside the restaurant. There's a popular circus outfit out in LA that does private gigs for local businesses and parties. They've been mostly coasting under the radar, but apparently they're quite good at what they do. I just thought that…

I thought that maybe we could take a more unconventional route with regards to the entertainment…

Exactly.

Great idea, Armand. Keep me posted with that.

Of COURSE! It's not just a rainforest-themed American grill restaurant, it's a rainforest- and circus-themed American grill restaurant! Let's go to the circus!

Hi there, Mister. How may we help you today?

… so I've seen your group's performance recently and I've got to admit that it's very impressive. I was hoping we could work together Mister Drake. I operate a rainforest themed restaurant in LA called…

… the Rain and Forest Grill? I saw it in a magazines a few weeks ago. Pretty neat place you got there.

The Rain and Forest Grill has been open for literally three hours.

Thanks.

So as you know, we have a jungle theme there that I think jibes well with your troupe's show. Like I said, I'd like us to work together. And perhaps you know, this way, we get to enhance both our profiles. Wouldn't you agree?

Mr. Lebouf, I have to be honest with you, although I'm sure your restaurant is a fine establishment, I can't really drag my group all the way across the Atlantic to have them work a permanent gig there. Most of us have families over here,

and it really won't be fair to them if we just up and went to work in America. No offense Mr. Lebouf, your offer is very generous. I just don't think it can work out this way.

None taken. Would you consider it if it was someplace in this country then? Here in LA perhaps?

Are you serious? Sure I'd consider it… provided this hypothetical restaurant of yours is up to our standards of course.

It will be… I guess that's settled then, I'll call you again once I've settled everything.

You're a very driven man Mr. Lebouf; I'll give you that much.

What can I say? I know what I want.

Oh, I guess the circus is in Munich! But didn't Armand say that the circus was in LA? At any rate, it looks like we won't get that rainforest- and circus-themed restaurant after all. But Armand hinted that we might set up another European restaurant – perhaps a Formula One/Circus restaurant? Be still my beating heart! :allears:

Back at the Rain and Forest Grill, things are going very well. Jack2142 posted an intriguing idea in the thread: what if we could save money give people a unique social experience by forcing them to share their tables with complete strangers? That way, I can start using the larger tables and serve more people with less space! Because of this, the six tables I've placed in the restaurant will actually accommodate approximately as many people as sixteen small tables (assuming that 50% of guests are depressingly eating alone)!

Surprisingly, I've had no complaints about this policy. The closest thing is the seven complaints about the level of noise. Guests typically complain about noise if other guests are eating too close to them (i.e. if tables are placed too close together), so it makes sense that seating strangers at the same table would induce the same complaints. Some of these troublemakers are also complaining that I forgot to build any restrooms. Typical entitled millennials.

Back at The Speed Trap (and I do apologise for bringing you back here), I happened to buy this fantastic German soup recipe off a customer. It's technically a little better than our beer soup recipe, but come on. I'm not replacing the beer soup.

For reference. It's half a can of hot Duff with a stick of butter and a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon. Perfection.

I also buy… wait, didn't we already have a banana split recipe?

Oh, my bad, this is clearly a "strawberry cheesecake boat", how silly of me!

Back at the Rain and Forest Grill, I buy this spicy chicken recipe. And let me tell you, this is not for the faint of heart. Watch out for that single red pepper!

At the end of the month, we're nowhere near our mission objectives. That's fine, though. Armand has gotten really good at German food, so I think I'll transfer him to our new restaurant since he's the only chef we have who's good at cooking American cuisine. That should help the food rating. As for satisfaction, that'll go up along with the food quality.

In the meantime, our recipe research finally pays off! This is our ultimate German appetizer, which I'll admit is a bit of a disappointment. 68% quality rating is pretty poor for an ultimate recipe, but I guess that's all you get for half a crayfish.

This is just excellent, on the other hand. Goulasch is delicious, and it's also extremely high-quality in game terms.

I expected something heartier for an ultimate German main course, but that's a hell of a quality rating! And as usual, I am extremely jealous of the prices that Armand is paying for luxury ingredients. In Restaurant Empire 1, he was paying $1.36 for a whole lobster, and now he's paying $1.77 for a 20 gram tin of caviar!

And our ultimate German dessert. I've never had Lebkuchen, so outside of the ingredient proportions being ridiculous I can't really comment.

We have also researched this incredibly good Italian soup.

And this excellent American main! As much as I'd like to make fun of Armand, apparently some people do put cinnamon in chilli. :shrug:

A few months later (well, half a year), and we've accomplished two of the main objectives. But we also need to sort out Armand's book deal!

… So we're right there in the middle of the desert, in the middle of nowhere basically, and all he could think about was: where are my pants!

Haha… that's a good one Del. It seems like you two really get along very well.

Well we've had some rough times before. But we worked on it you know?

Yeah gotcha. Sooo… let's talk about this book of yours. What's it about?

Okay Sammy, here's our pitch: a coffee table cookbook by world renowned chef Armand Lebouf… prefaced of course by his lovely wife Delia Lebouf.

Haha that's good Del. Go on.

You know how all these famous chefs are releasing there own recipe books these days right? As long as you're somewhat famous or someone wanting to be famous you could just about release your own cookbook regardless of how good or bad your recipes really are.

Well we're not going to compete in that market, Mands. Instead, we're pitching a picture book about the world's exotic foods that Armand's encountered during his travels around the world.

This will include his insights into the cultures that originated them and how those experiences have shaped his cooking as well as the gourmet cooking world in general.

The book, therefore, won't be heavy with Armand's recipes and will only include a few of them. It'll focus more on culture and bright pretty pictures of the exotic foods of the world.

That's an intriguing idea right there. We don't have a lot of these coffee table books about food. And your husband's name will give the book a great deal legitimacy. We have been looking for a cool idea to fill out our table book portfolio…

A vanity project coffee table book about food? I've never heard of anything so creative!

Hi hon. Oh, hello Miss…

Oh hey Armand, this is Samantha, my publisher friend I was telling you about.

Nice to meet you Samantha.

Same here Armand. Delia was just telling me about your book…

So do we have something here Samantha?

I think we have something here. Add to the fact that Del and I have been good friends for a very long time, I'm sure this relationship would work out well. I'd like to sign you guys to a first-look deal…

Sounds good me. Armand?

Glad to hear it, Samantha.

We have a book deal! Armand can now start telling people that he is an author~.

Let's celebrate by redoing the façade of The Speed Trap. I feel as if I've neglected the façades of our restaurants. Before…

And after! I love this restaurant. It's a shame that you definitely can't see that car from the ground, though.

It also occurs to me to repay the last of our debt. Now that we have several profitable restaurants, we are just raking in the money!

A triumph! Our restaurant portfolio is growing ever more ridiculous.

Now: what to do about the Rain and Forest Grill?

These are the wall, floor and table options for the Rain and Forest Grill. The shared large tables have worked out really well this mission, so I'm thinking that we'll stick with that. It means I'll have more space for decorations, and there's typically a better selection of large tables.

These are the wall- and floor-mounted decorations. They put in a bit more effort on these!

Thread poll: what décor should we have in the Rain and Forest Grill?

Vote on wall, floor and table design. For example, to vote for wall type C, floor type D and table type B, vote "CDB". The winning combination will be whatever has the most votes when I play the next mission. Also, let me know if you want me to add any of the floor or wall decorations.

Enchanted Hat fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 16, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Good lord the seafood restaurant is even worse/better/terrible/amazing than my dreams.
Also the plot keeps being pretty :stare: yeah sure open 1 (soon 2) new weird restaurants and start a book right after your moment of "hubris".

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I actually think we should have as few decorations as possible this time, just to make the theme even stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can we go with a slash and burn theme? It's all so hideous it hurts.