Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Oh Snapple! posted:

There's rape clowns and also a guy who gets off on watching women die, explicitly violating them even further by devouring their souls.

Oh right, SAO has confirmed souls are real and the magic to eat them is real outside of the virtual world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i feel like we shouldn't take the sociopath's (psychopath?) word for truth wrt human souls being consumable

also, the clown is just an rear end in a top hat, you don't need to add sexual assault to their rap sheet

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

dudermcbrohan posted:

i feel like we shouldn't take the sociopath's (psychopath?) word for truth wrt human souls being consumable

also, the clown is just an rear end in a top hat, you don't need to add sexual assault to their rap sheet

But wasn't it presented as a flashback at first? I don't think it was even him recounting a story to someone, it was the show itself telling us this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
visual metaphors

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i read the flashback as his delusion, the only thing that would really change the context/reality of it is whatever happened when he first dove into underworld (don't remember the exact details)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TwoPair posted:

I don't get why people like SAO Abridged. The only joke seems to be "what if SAO, but everyone is a huge rear end in a top hat (and/or insane) ?" It works as a "ha, a lot of gamers are assholes" gag initially but that joke wears thin extremely fast. And like, they toy around with the idea of people having PTSD for like a minute, but then like, so does actual SAO.

It has funny jokes and my friends who haven't watched SAO before seemed to enjoy it.

Also Kayaba actually has a motivation.

So that's good.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

It has funny jokes and my friends who haven't watched SAO before seemed to enjoy it.

So that's good.
But Kayba already has a motivation in SAO. I made a big post last page about how he practically spills his heart out at the end of the Aincrad arc.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 9, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It's OK to just dislike SAO. You don't have to assert flaws that don't exist

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

So that's good.

Also, abridged Laughing Coffin's attempt to monetize murder was glorious.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Elephant Parade posted:

But Kayba already has a motivation in SAO. I made a big post last page about how he practically spills his heart out at the end of the Aincrad arc.

He literally says he doesn't know why and I don't buy your analysis which claims his motivation to "Build a castle" is in any way an actual motivation to create a death game.

Look, a lot of people think that this is a non explanation so either you have magical insight that everyone else doesn't or it's a terrible handwave explanation.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

He literally says he doesn't know why and I don't buy your analysis which claims his motivation to "Build a castle" is in any way an actual motivation to create a death game.

Look, a lot of people think that this is a non explanation so either you have magical insight that everyone else doesn't or it's a terrible handwave explanation.
Sometimes people contradict themselves. He says "I don't know why", then immediately launches into a speech about his childhood dream of Aincrad, the implication being that he has since lost track of his original motivation.

As for why his desire to build a castle is related to the death game: the castle is Aincrad. A "steel castle in the sky" describes Aincrad. The rest of his monologue also describes Aincrad, as I explained. I can't defend my analysis any further because you haven't addressed the ehole if my analysis or offered specific critique beyond that.

As for why other people think he doesn't have a motive: sometimes, false narratives spread throughout a fan community. Someone who hatewatches SAO, and who likely hasn't seen the original scene in several years, is going to take it on faith when someone says, "Kayaba has no motive," because they don't remember othereise and it could be true. My "magical insight" was watching the scene before posting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But "I wanted to build this castle" is not an argument for locking players inside the game. It's for why the world is as it is and nothing more.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

nielsm posted:

But "I wanted to build this castle" is not an argument for locking players inside the game. It's for why the world is as it is and nothing more.

Elephant Parade posted:

Kagaya wanted to create "that castle, a world that surpassed all our laws and all our restrictions". Any normal VR game would obviously be subjected to the restrictions inherent to video games; in particular, the events that happened therein would be bereft of real consequence: dying in the game doesn't mean dying in real life; money in the game isn't real money; if you don't feel like playing, you can (and must) leave. In short, forget about surpassing the real world; his castle would fall far short of it. How can he change that? By making Aincrad into the real world. And that's what he does: by abducting 10,000 people into Aincrad, making consequences within the game match up with consequences in real life (death = death), and preventing everyone from leaving, he eliminates those problems. He creates the castle.
Presumably, his vision of the castle involves having people in it. There wouldn't be any meaning to the castle surpassing "all our laws and all our restrictions" if we weren't in it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kagaya also leads one of the major guilds too, he clearly has some kind of fantasy, uh, fantasy he’s seeking to live out through creating the death game.

Like he’s not a particularly nuanced or complicated character or anything. He’s still kind of a generic as far as these types of villains go but that’s not the same thing as being literally motiveless.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I like his motivation for the guild in Abridged, seeing everyone struggling and needing to take the reins himself if anyone was going to beat his game. :v:

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
First ep of part 2 was full of laughs and more action than I was expecting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

w00tazn posted:

First ep of part 2 was full of laughs and more action than I was expecting.

Enjoy the ride of just how silly the last stage of Alicization is.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

why did they ditch the solid english VAs they had for the American players at the end of the last season. it went from native or native-level to THIS GAME IS SUCK

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
See SAO, sometimes you're cool, then you gotta go and do something like that Leafa scene

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ah, tentacle poo poo before the first commercial break, fantastic. Stay classy, Kawahara/A-1 :barf: But on the other hand, MY BOY KLEIN'S BACK :woop:, entire series redeemed

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

TwoPair posted:

Ah, tentacle poo poo before the first commercial break, fantastic. Stay classy, Kawahara/A-1 :barf: But on the other hand, MY BOY KLEIN'S BACK :woop:, entire series redeemed

Yeah, I had to fast forward through that poo poo.

Do you think Kayaba ever patched SAO during the death game? Can you imagine having to trust your life to the 1.0 version of an MMO?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He ran an extensive beta.

Shout out to the Beater Kirito

I mean it's not like he was planning on adding new content or anything

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
They couldn't go ONE EPISODE without this poo poo again why do I keep watching

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Sometimes, it is not the good that keeps us, but the bad. Trainwrecks are exciting, and "how bad can it gets" is a question that needs answering.

Pretty poo poo though, since the Leafa scene both started and ended pretty great, but the entire middle part was so horrible I'd rather forget it entirely.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Because this scene and others like it, while bad, are not enough to eclipse your enjoyment of the show overall?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ahahaha 9 minutes and tentacles.

Holy poo poo sometimes I think this show might stop being trashy and then we get this poo poo.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Sword Art Online: Alicization: War of Underworld: This Game Is A Really Suck

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Goddamn what is wrong with the people who make this poo poo lol

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Are we doing spoilers? Why not, just to be courteous.

So from what I gather Kirito is dead, he has suffered some kind of Matrix-style ego death and the plan is to create a patch-work copy of his personality from the amalgamated memories of him from the members of his harem. That's terrifying. That's some serious existential nightmare fuel right there. And I'm sure this show will take the time and care necessary to explore the heavy ramifications of a world where that kind of thing is possible.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

From what I understand, he wasn't actually braindead—the explanation given at the end of S1 was that the disconnect hit right as he was experiencing feelings of self-loathing, causing that self-loathing to amplify itself until he was reconnected, by which point he had already retreated within himself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Writing aside, the fight between Bercouli and Vestra was insanely well animated. I loved the artstyle during that part, it felt like a completely different show but it looked amazing, and it had really good choreography and action.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not Keyser Soze posted:

So from what I gather Kirito is dead, he has suffered some kind of Matrix-style ego death and the plan is to create a patch-work copy of his personality from the amalgamated memories of him from the members of his harem. That's terrifying. That's some serious existential nightmare fuel right there. And I'm sure this show will take the time and care necessary to explore the heavy ramifications of a world where that kind of thing is possible.

I think it's supposed to be that it's more like he's in a coma, his soul/memories are still all there they're just dormant, and they're gonna use their memories to jumpstart his soul back to action? You're right though that basically this whole season, what with being able to successfully isolate, digitize, and duplicate the human soul is an existential nightmare.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Writing aside, the fight between Bercouli and Vestra was insanely well animated. I loved the artstyle during that part, it felt like a completely different show but it looked amazing, and it had really good choreography and action.

:yeah:

I'm stunned that Bercouli won (well, double KO but still). The minute he showed up in episode 1 I was like "dude, you're not Kirito, you can't just fight the final boss and win". I guess though it looks like we're just gonna deal with his alt, Super-Vecta for the rest of the season.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I get a weird twinge every time the main cast refer to themselves as being from the “Real World” to the people in the Underworld. Like, sure from the outside there’s a clear distinction between what is or isn’t an incredibly elaborate simulation in a digital system but the people in the Underworld are people in every way except being made of meat and have no knowledge of a world outside the system so I keep expecting them to balk at the suggestion that their world isn’t the real world.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Been guessing this since the preview, and yeah, I legitimately hope they do this. And the show already at least touches on some of the ramifications of all the scifi bullshit, and Kirito's PTSD, so there's a chance they'd get into it, right? Right?

If nothing else, is concerned that he isn't real, does not know what he is like when he is alone would be a second interesting thing about him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao they are finally going to talk about the seal of the right eye

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I think it's supposed to be that it's more like he's in a coma, his soul/memories are still all there they're just dormant, and they're gonna use their memories to jumpstart his soul back to action? You're right though that basically this whole season, what with being able to successfully isolate, digitize, and duplicate the human soul is an existential nightmare.

:yeah:

I'm stunned that Bercouli won (well, double KO but still). The minute he showed up in episode 1 I was like "dude, you're not Kirito, you can't just fight the final boss and win". I guess though it looks like we're just gonna deal with his alt, Super-Vecta for the rest of the season.

I am so, so disappointed that his alt is his SAO/ALO character.
The only game we've actually seen him play is GGO, and man, that would have been loving cool

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Captain France posted:

I am so, so disappointed that his alt is his SAO/ALO character.
The only game we've actually seen him play is GGO, and man, that would have been loving cool

Maybe GGO is the only game that isn't interoperable with SAO/ALO.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that Underworld's gimmick is "confidence = power" but L-O-loving-L at Gabe loading up his alt and rising like the King of the Damned with some weird mount and just putting a whammy on Sinon. This guy is the true anti-Kirito with this range of bullshit abilities.

Also that "twist" in the maintenance shaft was quite possibly the least surprised I have ever been at an anime. Who would have figured that the previously unnamed guy who we've never seen before could be the mole?

e: also I'm disappointed that we seem to have eased off the Bleach, I wanted to see more bullshit bankais armament enhances.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 26, 2020

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
"and we're all...worried about Kirito. Whenever Kirito's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking. 'where's Kirito?'"

As flawed as the series was Re:Creators did a much better job of handling the whole existential crisis Alice goes through for all of one scene this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The author's obvious fetish for sexual violence against women the male viewpoints care about isn't going anywhere as long as there are still viewers.