Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It could work similar to Salazzle's Corrosion, which allows it to poison Pokemon normally immune to it. Imagine a Toxic that didn't reset to 1/16th upon switching out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 24: Sunny Side

Lake Cavern

The pixies have returned to their lakes, but it seems Mesprit has other ideas.

Hikari, that was MESPRIT, wasn't it? You've accomplished what I'd asked you to do at the Canalave Library... I asked you to get data on the Pokemon of the lake, and you did. But it didn't provide any answers about the mysteries of evolution. I still don't know why some Pokemon evolve and others don't. Ultimately, it only deepens the mystery. But having mysteries to solve... that adds to my enjoyment!

To me, it seemed as if it wanted to play with you. If you were to use the Poketch app Marking Map, you'd be able to track the movements of Pokemon. Go on, Hikari. I'm sure that you will keep meeting countless Pokemon and people. Those encounters will keep thrilling you in their own special ways. I hope you'll enjoy that experience! Take care, Hikari.

The only reason to use this app is because it tracks roaming legendaries, which is just amazing. No more do we have to keep going in and out of the Pokedex, it's just there available to us as we're going around the region. This is the best method in the series to tracking these roamers. Which is very useful, especially in this game...

Check type matchups so you can make all your attacks super effective! You'll become stronger than ever! Yup, all sorts of people will give you Poketch apps. Everyone gets super happy that way!

A simple but handy tool to check what's effective against weird type combos. This app has been available since we beat Candice, but we've been a little busy. We won't be getting any more from the Poketch company, but there's still plenty of places to find them.

Yay legendaries. Since we need to see every Pokemon in the dex, then obviously we need to pay every pixie a visit. Only Mesprit will roam, so it's time to get serious.

Lake Trio Battle

We'll start off with the least useful of the legendaries, Uxie won't be sweeping through the rest of the game like some others, but it has a lot of tricks to frustrate any player you come across. It doesn't learn many good moves, the best STAB move it gets is Extrasensory, but it gets some important tech, like Rest, Yawn, Amnesia and Memento. TMs is where it shines, getting pretty much all of the good ones, as well as most tutor moves. It won't do that much damage, but then it takes hardly any damage and just burns through opponents with Toxic, Stealth Rock, Trick, Swagger, Trick Room, screens, hell even Calm Mind if you're in a good position. Don't, heh, SLEEP on this terrifying foe.

...oh wait, I forgot to stock up on more balls.

You know, I'm not in the mood to catch some legendaries, piss off. Completing the Pokedex for the fourth time in a row sounds like a stupid idea anyway.

We'll be leaving some Rock Climb stuff until later, but since this is on the way to the next city, might as well. Was it worth it?

gently caress no.

Huevo: Some wild Pokemn frown upon others for traveling with humans. They jeer that the caught Pokemon have "forgotten the wild." But that view is mistaken. They have just never met a Trainer who could be a great partner. A great partner like Hikari, in other words...

Nack: Humans can't understand the cries of Pokemon, nor our feelings. However, there are some among us that understand human speech... hehehe, Hikari, you're not bad for a human.

Isn't this just a joy to jump around? That's two hidden Sun Stones for mons not in the dex.

What's that smell?

We're finally alone, the two of us, if you'd leave, that is. This is something we don't need anymore. Will you take it?

I've always relied on the old Coin Toss to make any decision. It gives me courage because I'm not accountable for my decisions.

It, uh, is what it is. Heads, my next LP is EO2.

gently caress! I mean... yay, more Pokemon LPs...

Nearly done here, but there's a couple more items that have been taunting us.

Boy howdy was that not worth it, loving hell, why is that still a TM???

Since the plot is done, the lake is back, though the Pokemon aren't anything new.

Now this is a mon you can smash the rest of the game with, obviously I'm a big fan of glass cannons, I like my big damage and I like it now. In one level it gets Extrasensory and you've got Nasty Plot, so Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt fills the rest nicely and you're good to go. Obviously it learns a load of other good moves, it has the stats to use anything it wants, and well. It has less physical options, you can tutor Zen Headbutt, Ice Punch and use Iron Tail, I guess. A mixed set would work best there and you can also explode if you don't fancy your chances. It's very hard to go wrong with these stats and you're unlikely to find a Pursuit Weavile to ruin your day.

I don't fancy getting wrecked, so let's move on. Since we have the Master Ball, Mesprit just needs to be encountered to be caught, so what's it like? Well it's middling, as you'd expect, but still very good offenses regardless and can take a few hits along the way. So it's perfectly fine, it'll just be a discount Azelf, since Uxie should be relied on to take hits. No Nasty Plot kinda sucks, but you have all the nice tools to work with, just see above for what they are, they're basically the same. But hey, nothing wrong with being perfectly balanced, it's how all things should be.

Route 222 Day / Night

Enough filling out the dex, we've got another badge to get.

I'm going back to the hotel to rest! I find you exceedingly tiresome!

Oh hey, we're finally able to catch this drat thing. Elekid is something we have to breed for, alas, but that can be for later.

So remember when we traded for that Chatot like a million years ago? Well, if you wanted to catch one yourself, this is when it was first available in DP. I think that's the best value trade in the series if we're talking about availability, goddamn.

And then something to touch the mountain later.

The route is split in two with the bottom just being endless Fishermen, so let's put that off.

Personally, I would much rather pamper Pokemon than make them battle.

Just when you think you can leave a HM at home, that's when it gets ya!

But is that true?! I want people to think about that. That's why I give away the Technical Machine Fling.

The move's effect depends on what item is hurled. Remember, the move Fling fails if the Pokemon isn't holding anything.

Ugh, thankfully this is the last ACAB we need to change the rotation of the planet to appease.

Oh, we'll ride upon the sea, in a boat, just you and me! That's the way of the Sailor! Way of the Sailor. Sing it!

It cannot be understated how happy I am Skulletor has Rock Slide now.

Pools are OK, but I like the sea because Pokemon live there.

You ought to think about becoming a Sailor yourself. It's been great to be able to visit different places around the world.

I'll do that eventually... but I'm only halfway done!

Listen, you! Whatever happens, never lose sight of your dream!

More big fish that I can ignore because the reward is a loving Net Ball.

Hmm, what can we do to break up the monotony of item grabbing?

Ah, another version exclusive. Dunno why they put this line so late, considering how mediocre it is. Oh well, see you in like 10 LPs.

Well this is cute, but doesn't one of them sound... off?

NANI?!

Pika... I'll need a lot more practice to become a real PIKACHU...

I almost feel bad for beating up this kid's pet fish. Almost.

Alright, ready to fight a bunch of fishing men? No? TOO BAD!

"I was doing in the first place."

Oh, right... I was fishing, wasn't I?

This is the first trainer to have a Feebas, so you'll be able to see they're available in Mt. Coronet and then never find one.

Halfway there. What do you think the Gyarados count is at?

Thanks for that! It was a good change of pace for me.

I like to fish. You're a traveler. Farewell, until we meet again!

The answer was four Gyarados. Always have a Gyarados answer.

Another route down. Now gently caress off.

Sunyshore City Day / Night

Your Pokemon are secure inside their Pokeballs, but there's no masking that aura of serious toughness! Oops, sorry, I should introduce myself. The name's Flint! I'm one of the Pokemon League's Elite Four! I just had this idea. Maybe you can pull it off. It's about this town's Gym Leader. He's really lost his enthusiasm lately because there've been so few good challengers worth his time. He's been so bored, he spends all his time renovating the Gym. And then the blackout happened... that sure didn't help lift his mood. You know where I'm going with this, don't you? I need you to give him a battle that's so hot, it will reignite his passion for battling. I'm counting on you, hotshot!

Sunyshore City: Solar Powered!
From, well, sunny and shore.
Nagisa City: The town where the sun shines.
From 渚 nagisa (shore).

There's a fair few things to do in this city, but first... seals???

It needs to work a little harder. If it does, I'll give your Pokemon something nice.

Before that, when we've gotten 255 EVs on a Pokemon, we can get a ribbon, always very important. Sure, even our starter hasn't gotten that yet... but we do have Pokerus.

HOLY poo poo!!! After an entire game of teasing, we're finally able to obtain seals. Every day the selection changes, but it's the same rotation each time, so it's very easy to obtain them all, finally. We're gonna need to get some of these!

OK

It's next to the sea, and there's a lighthouse... oh, if you don't have the Gym Badge, you'll be forced to turn back.

Let's explore a few more houses, sure there's probably some cool info in some of the them, but if they don't give me an item, they can gently caress off.

My husband is a Sailor, and he's off working somewhere far away. I long for the day he comes back to me. All that waiting gets to be very boring every day, though... I know! How about you visit me and tell me stories every so often? Starting tomorrow, please visit and tell me stories about your travels.

Man, why do I gotta wait til tomorrow? This lovely lady, Julia, will give us a daily ribbon, which is very important and not just something cute they put in and then had to come up with reasons to shove into every future game because content bloat is a real loving problem.

When he does, you know what you've gotta do. Give him a battle that's so hot, it will reignite his passion for battling! I'm counting on you, hotshot!

Now the game's just taunting us with how much of a pain Munchlax is to get.

Oh yeah, if you wanted to use Raichu in DP, here's the earliest you can get it without getting lucky in the Underground. Seriously, how were these games ever made???

It's undoubtedly a Poketch! The latest model, no less! They're awesome, yeah? I got OK'd by the Poketch Company to develop original Poketch apps. Hey, you're a Trainer, right? Can you do me a favor? You've got Pokemon with different natures, right? May I see them? What am I in the mood to see now... I'd like to see a Pokemon with a Serious nature.

As much joy as new apps fill me with, I guess I'll do that, I'm sure one of our various catches has the right nature.

Let's go help some guy cure his boyfriend's depression.

...so, you're the latest challenger up against the Sunyshore Gym... all right, I've decided! If I find you to be weak, I'm going to challenge the Pokemon League. I'm all done with renovating the Gym, so I don't need to be here. More than anything, I want to have battles that can thrill me again. As the toughest Gym Leader in Sinnoh, I'm going to unleash everything in my arsenal on you.

SOON, uh, if you can see the Pokemon League building, between OBS recording and Irfanview cropping and converting, the fog got a bit... overpowering.

Ooh, I wonder what this app will-

Oh yeah. Calender. You can highlight specific dates. Woo. Also yeah, I tend to record ahead until I hit a voting wall, this game is just so good!!!

The Dot Artist app gives players free reign to their creativity.

Four different colours to experiment with making pixel art. As always, I show how amazingly artistic I am. It's a talent.

The Roulette app can be customized to make an original roulette. Someday, Poketch apps may outnumber all the species of Pokemon.

...well, it's not wrong. Draw and spin your own roulette! Honestly, you wait ages for lovely apps and then 5 come in one update!

He seemed to be feeling upbeat, too. I have a hunch that he recognized your toughness right away. I bet he's getting excited over the thought of battling you. Remember what you have to do, hotshot. Give him a battle that's so hot, it will reignite his passion for battling! All right, hotshot! I'll be waiting at the Pokemon League!

Alright, let's get our eighth badge... right now! Goes a little over the average image count, but you know, when there's someone you need to see, you should do it as soon as possible, because they deserve your love and attention. Doesn't matter if you do much, but being there for someone is always important.

Pokemon Gym

Let me check out your Trainer Case. Let's see how many Badges you have. One, two, three... whoa! Wow! You've already got seven! That means if you can beat this Gym Leader, you're on your way to the Pokemon League next. That also means this is the last time I get to give you advice. This is it, kiddo! Listen carefully... one last time! The Gym Leader here is a master of Electric-type Pokemon! That's all I have to say. The rest is up to you!

As helpful as always... I've done this drat Gym puzzle so many times I could do it in my sleep, just push button, receive rotation. Green buttons turn the gears counter-clockwise.

A Ground type is a massacre in this Gym, so I'll try not to use Etrian too much, even though it's super hard not to.

Onto the next room!

Blue buttons rotate clockwise. Woah!

You just showed me that there's still lots I need to learn. The world of Pokemon is deep!

Easy enough to figure out, just gotta clear the path for the top gears.

The Trainer's desire to win! If you don't lose that, there's no limit on what you can become!

Using a fragile Water type in the Electric Gym is hardcore.

I dress this way so I can get a feel for how electric Pokemon think. Would you like to try, too?

"improve your mad skills!"

The way you battle, I can feel the very heart of rock and roll. Tell me, are you maybe a fan of rocking out?

The red buttons are tricky as they do a half rotation at once, so the right gears will stay upright for the moment.

I'm so glad there are Pokemon! There isn't much else that gives me the thrill that Pokemon do!

Hey, don't try and start a new catchphrase, slalom!

We were lacking energy... no, we lacked more than that. We didn't want to win enough.

Ooh, puzzling, but not a way to the leader yet.

As a challenger, you're one tough Trainer.

The final step is doing a half rotation. Beautiful.

It's not often, but some Trainers manage to come and challenge me. But they've all been boring battles. I didn't break a sweat beating them. ...sigh... I'm Volkner, the Gym Leader. They say I'm the top Gym Leader in Sinnoh, but... anyway, I guess we'd better get this done. I hope you're the Trainer who'll make me remember how fun it is to battle!

Gym Leader Battle

Volkner: The Shining, Shocking Star
From volt and the German Volker (defender)
Denzi: Star dazzling radience.
From 田字草 denjisō (four leaf clover) and 電磁 denji (electromagnetic)

I know, Pop shouldn't be here, but he wouldn't appear in this match otherwise!

Volkner is a real tough cookie, but we have Etrian, so he's actually a complete pushover. Where's the fun in that, though?

Okay we get it, please leave.

The main problem is that any of Volkner's Pokemon can get rolling if they get lucky with Charge Beam boosts. Frankly it's just nice to see some Electric types in my Electric Gym

Ah goddammit I would've beaten it without the Burn!!!

Oh well, Nack needs some exp. But we've still got the biggest obstacle.

Ah. Huh. Well it probably didn't matter...

Your desire and the noble way your Pokemon battled for you... I even felt thrilled during our match. That was a very good battle.

Hahahah! ...that was the most fun I've had in a battle since... I don't know when! It's also made me excited to know you and your team will keep battling to greater heights! This is your eighth Gym. Badge. You've earned this!

"you're not in battle."

Waterfall happens to be key if you're going to the Pokemon League. Also, because you've collected all eight Badges, any Pokemon at any level will now obey you without fail. I want you to take this, too.

It may raise Special Attack if it lands. It's electrifying! Your next step is the Pokemon League challenge. It's time for you to cross the sea and win your way through the gauntlet that is Victory Road. Demonstrate to the Pokemon League your mastery of your team. Against you, even the Elite Four will be pushed to fend off your challenge!

Always a pain when you've gotta walk out of a gym... but at least these rooms are already cleared.

Gotta rotate to get outta here, though.

Well, of course you did! But, you know what? You haven't made it in my mind yet! Do you know why? Because you and your Pokemon are capable of achieving so much more! But, I am proud of you! Eight Sinnoh Badges! Way to go, kiddo!

There we have it, all 8 badges, and next time we- wait a minute.

Perfect. Next time, we have a few little things left before it's off to the league.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah finally, the most important vote is here. Now we must decide on the Seals!

Simply choose which two seals you want to put on a specific team member, you can even double up if you want, what you pick will be doubled, so we'll have 4 seals total from 2 different effects, just so nothing's gotten drowned out.

View the list of seals HERE and any is an acceptable choice.

OR

Two of our team will have letter seals, so instead of picking a second seal, simply pick a four or less letter word, and this can include a ?, ! or ?!, they don't add towards the count, and I'll pick whichever two I like the most. It's that simple! Right? Right.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Little surprised you didn't just grab the Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard TMs at the lakes so you wouldn't need to go back there but sure.

As for Seals, Smoke Seal A and Ele-Seal B on Radium, so it looks like a thundercloud.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, are you not showing Volkner's DP team? I know it's really embarassing and shows how terrible the game's Pokedex was in DP, but it's weird to stop this far in.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'd like Pop to have Foamy B and Foamy D
he's bubbly, ya gotta have all the bubbles

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I may have more ideas later but Pop should say POP! and maybe also have Foamy B if there's room.

Edit: Forgot to rep my eggy friend, Huevo should have Star Seal F and Party Seal D

The Golux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 20, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

This town has my favorite music in the game. Some of the best in the series. (Wish it was a little longer though!)

We're starting to encounter one of Pokemon writing gimmicks that I find really annoying: "I lost because I didn't want to win strongly enough!" No, buddy, you lost because I have a team of six well-trained monsters.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of them should be a cuss word

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish the Elite Four got to do more in the games rather than stand in a hallway and wait for you to beat them. I think Sun and Moon are the only games that actually let the Elite Four be characters throughout the game, and even then you had Kihili as the outlier. Even USUM only gives her one additional scene if you go get the Flying Z-Crystal ASAP.

I'm assuming that Cyrus' backstory is next update?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 21, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Nack should get Heart Seal D and Smoke Seal B, imo.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wish the Elite Four got to do more in the games rather than stand in a hallway and wait for you to beat them.

There's about three times I can remember this ever happening outside of Alola, and two of them don't count because the Elite Four members in question — Koga in GSC/HGSS and Caitlin in the Unova games — were built up in completely different games than they appear in as members of the Elite Four; Koga relying on his Gym Leader appearance in RGBY/FRLG and Caitlin working off her appearance in this game and HGSS — and you don't even battle her directly.

The third time is in Let's Go, the Switch one, where Lorelei randomly shows up during one of your clashes with Team Rocket which I believe is right outside Rock Tunnel if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure if Flint's presence here was added specifically for Platinum but if it wasn't it is so nothing I completely forgot about it. I remember him more for... something else. We'll get there, since no it was not the hair. Miror B is the only Pokémon character I'll ever remember for having a 'fro.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now that you mention Lorelei, I recall she got an expanded role in FRLG's postgame, too.

I think Flint was here in DP as well, but the addition of the double battle against him and Volkner was Platinum exclusive.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Why do people forget that Lance did stuff in Gen 2, is he not part of the E4? He sure did more then Cynthia does in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Champions tend to get to wander around and make themselves known. I meant purely the Elite Four.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wasn't on of XY elite four one of the flare admins you fought?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

No, she's only revealed as part of Team Flare when you face her in the Elite Four, in a moment so random and pointless that it convinces me she was meant to do more but XY were very blatantly incomplete and we never got a Z.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, she's only revealed as part of Team Flare when you face her in the Elite Four, in a moment so random and pointless that it convinces me she was meant to do more but XY were very blatantly incomplete and we never got a Z.

She did work for Team Flare - she was the news caster on the Holocaster, which was run by Flare. However the connection is never well established and yeah it's clear that XY got rushed at some point.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Solumin posted:

We're starting to encounter one of Pokemon writing gimmicks that I find really annoying: "I lost because I didn't want to win strongly enough!" No, buddy, you lost because I have a team of six well-trained monsters.

I mean, one could say that the quality of one's team is directly proportional to their desire to win.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Let's see...
Gen 1: No one leaves their rooms and I think are only barely mentioned outside of them
Gen 2: Lance was e4 last time but gets to roam this time so that counts? Koga you only get more of because he was in his gym last game. There's the Janine connection at least.
Gen 2-Proto: Interestingly, Agatha was going to show up living in Blue Forest where proto-Morty's gym likely was.
RSE: Phoebe does have the little backstory of her grandparents being the old couple guarding the red/blue orbs on Mt Pyre, though.
FRLG: Lorelei was involved in the Four Island postgame plot. There is, at least, the Fame Checker which gave an excuse to add flavor text about everyone and spread it throughout the region.
DP: Just Flint.
Platinum: Flint has another scene in the postgame and is the only e4 member who shows up at the Villa. Caitlin is in the Battle Frontier so she has something going into gen 5.
HGSS: Despite giving a lot more appearances by every leader in the game, the e4 never leave their rooms. RIP Will & Karen, again.
Gen 5: Marshall appears for Cheren in BW1 and blocks the mountain in BW2. Shauntal & Caitlin can show up in the post game at her villa in the Spring time in both games. Grimsley gets no extra scenes until gen 7 (for some reason). The elite 4 are the only notable trainers excluded from the World Tournament, comically also excluding Koga. Giovanni got to be here, though!
Gen 6: Malva shows up as the newscaster & is involved in the Looker plotline. All the e4 members show up at the Battle Chataeu but they don't...really talk at all....
ORAS: They added a number of new scenes for the other gym leaders, like Roxanne showing up at the Fossil Maniac, but the e4 stay in their rooms otherwise.
Alola: By virute of how the e4 works in this game, everyone but Kahili has a lot to go on. Kahili does, at least, show up at the hotel her father owns and you can chat with her for some extra stuff. USUM had her walk in, show you the flying z move pose, and then walk out. It's inexplicable and meaningless. Grimsley is here?? And if you check the notes on his concept art he's apparently fallen into some dire straights??? What happened Grimsley....
Lets Go: Lorelei shows up before rock tunnel but no one else does anything. Not even Lance.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Another notch for the anime, who had her more involved

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I think she was a step above Admin, but her only role in the plot is giving news reports until the point where you get to her, at which point she's passive-aggressive about the fact you beat Team Flare. It's like they wanted to do the Giovanni twist again, only the twist came long after the point you should care.

I felt that way about a number of NPCs in XY, in hindsight. Particularly AZ. But that's a discussion for another Let's Play.

rannum posted:

Gen 2-Proto: Interestingly, Agatha was going to show up living in Blue Forest where proto-Morty's gym likely was.

That's a shame. She's the E4 I'd have liked to see more of.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In retrospect it's kinda odd that Phoebe didn't even cameo in S/M/US/UM.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Give Etrain the Flora Seal E and Flora Seal F.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Submissions so far!

Etrian: Flora EF

Radium: Smoke A, Ele B

Pop: Foamy BD

Skulletor:

Huevo: Star F, Party D

Nack: Heart D, Smoke B

I would say poor Skulletor, but his brain is a literal rock, so he doesn't mind. If no one contests any of these submissions and just fills in our last team member, then we're done!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Skulletor is the closest thing to a dragon we've got, so let's give him Fire Seal D for cool blue fire and then give him Star Seal D because he's Skulletor.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Crosspeice posted:

Radium: Smoke A, Ele B

Actually can I change mine from Ele B to Ele C, I thought that one was the downwards seal but looks like I can't read.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

For Skulletor, let's put Foamy Seal D and Party Seal B.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Skulletor deserves the O and X letter seals.
if you put the O above the X, it’s a skull and crossbones, see, which the enemy will no doubt experience

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's a shame. She's the E4 I'd have liked to see more of.
Agatha seems like the one who absolutely should get more focus than any other E4 member but doesnt. She has that whole connection to Oak (which stands in stark contrast to Stern Woman, HOO HAH and Dragon Are Cool), she's a cool old lady and more pertinent to this game is whatever is going on with her clear twin sister Bertha

If only there was some sort of...return to kanto...that could have had more fun moments
but alas, alack, a thing like this could never be!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Final Submissions!

Etrian: Flora EF

Radium: Smoke A, Ele C

Pop: Foamy BD

Skulletor: Fire D, Star D

Huevo: Star F, Party D

Nack: Heart D, Smoke B

Alright, I tweaked a couple so we have a nice variety of seals that fit each member quite nicely, I like it. Cheers everyone!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 25: Victory Lap

Alright, it's time for the Pokemon Lea-

Barry Encounter

What the... you went and got all eight Badges of Sinnoh! Aww, you... that's wicked! I envy you! But don't think you've won! Because I'm going to be the toughest Trainer ever! You watch me! Before I was dreaming. I just wanted to be like my dad. Now, things are different. I thought about what being a Trainer involves. I thought about what Pokemon are. We're going to get tougher one step at a time! I'm not going to challenge you to a battle now. I hate to say it, but I know you're tougher than me. But not a whole lot tougher. Just a little. Our difference is about a yard? Nah, not even an inch. ...what I'm trying to say is that I will catch up to you in no time. If you don't hurry to the Pokemon League, I'll leave you in my wake!

Seeing how you two get along made me happy somehow. It must be wonderful having a friend like that. A person that you can share anything and everything with. A person you can compete with without fighting. ...um, it made me feel sort of warm seeing you two. It may seem odd, but I'd like you to have this as my thanks. This isn't much, but...

If you use it, you can get to the Pokemon League. ...um... I... I don't know how I should say this, but good luck. ...I came from very far away because I wanted to get stronger. On the way, I met all sorts of people with their Pokemon... they all looked like they were having fun. I felt happy seeing it.

Mt. Coronet

So as I was saying, it's time to go around the region for the final clean up. That means going back to Mt. Coronet, but since we did a fair few things as we came across them, there's not much left to do.

Hmm, I wonder what these can be used for?

Everything seems back to normal, so on we go.

Don't forget about this little hideaway, we can move past that motionless grunt.

And up ahead is a Strength boulder that spits us back at the middle entrance. Good segue into...

Gah! A drat ambush!

There aren't many Dragon types in this dex, but we've still gotta see them.

Neat, we can evolve a Roselia, regardless if I want to or not.

I came out here by myself from a town of Dragon Tamers. I can teach the strongest of all Dragon-type moves to the tough Pokemon of Sinnoh.

When all Dragon types reach max happiness, they can learn Draco Meteor here, very useful move, would recommend.

Also there's some cascades here, there's not too many, thankfully, since it's a bit of a pain remembering which areas have them. Sure, I remember what every route looks like since I've played these games way too many times, but I'm never completely confident I've remembered everything.

Alright, the item back here better be bloody well worth it!

Ah, Mantyke. A Pokemon we could've caught before the final badge. Yup.

Oh! How impressive! You've conquered all the Gyms, have you? For a Trainer like you, I have just the thing!

Here's one thing you'll definitely get, since the other decorations either involve Contests, the Underground, garbage postgame battle facilities, or Wi-Fi (F).

And that's all the waterfalls. Yeah, bit poo poo, but there's still plenty of the game left to go.

So one of the last things left to do is catch the rest of the Unown. The last one? U.

?!

Well this is the real reward, I say, with over 800 Rare Candy in my bag for evolutions.

And then the last two Unown, whatever. This is just a bonus for catching 26, there's nothing for getting all of them.

Ah, I was wondering where these two were!

Since we have every Unown, we can get every seal, since there's also ?! seals. Just re-enter as many times as you want to get 10 of your lead Unown's seal. But, hmm, there's still a few seals missing...

Of course, how could I forget about the very cursed group of EVENT SEALS that were also NEVER RELEASED. Well, maybe they were just dummy ones they didn't fancy using, but they work just fine.

The Liquid, Blast and Sparkle seals are super basic and aren't very interesting, so you're not missing out. But woah, are we finally ready to give seals to our Pokemon???

You guys picked a pretty good variety, but there's some we didn't use, so the Line seals are pretty, well, that.

And then the musical notes and letter seals are all pretty cool, but we'll see how our team now looks as we go through...

Surfing

A water route! Dun dun dunnnnnnn

Thankfully this one is pretty short, but they pack a fair few trainers in it.

FUCKIN BUBBLES, uh anyway, here's a cool fish. As triple nice as these stats are, they really don't offer much. It's pretty speedy and has some interesting Bug tech like Silver Wind and U-turn, but it has very little to use for most of the game, Surf saves it sure, but until you get Ice Beam, the best you've got is Ominous Wind and Air Cutter from tutors? Silver Wind TM? It's pretty depressing, especially since it barely does anything even after getting those moves. You can use it, sure, you can use anything you want, but it'll be super upsetting.

Losing won't make me quit. I mean, this is my dream! The Pokemon League isn't going anywhere, either.

Yeah this route is only for showing off the seals. Admittedly, you probably won't see these again, but man they fit each member real nice and really perks me up during recording, so thanks everyone. Huevo enters through the confetti and stars!

I mean, I get it, yeah, but do you have to mention it every game, horny Japanese men???

It emerges from the darkness to fight or whatever, but he loves us really. Mantine is a special monster brought down by its weaknesses, but it gets some good coverage, Psybeam and Signal Beam from relearner and then the standard Water TMs, along with Ice Beam, because why should Ice types be useful? It also has a wide array of physical moves, but not with 40 Atk. Still, it's able to live at least one Electric move, which is more than Gyarados can claim, I should know... but aside from being somewhat easy to get, it's nothing too amazing, special Flying STAB is a while away yet.

I mean, it's not ten solid routes of water, but I still don't like them.

Through the falling leaves, Etrian emerges. Also yeah, want a level 50 Pelipper, Tentacruel or Mantyke? Right here, nice and easy.

Double battles are now a little entry chaotic, we'll see Radium's in focus later, but you can see how cool it works out.

What is the sea like in places like the Kanto and Hoenn regions?

Deep breathing after battle, too! Breathe in... and out!

But you can be sure that there will be bigger challenges in front of you. Go! Go as far as you can! You alone can broaden your horizons.

Like how I should battle next, and what's for dinner tomorrow, and...

The order you place the seals determines when they'll come out, so you can get these "clouds" to form and then drop lightning, it's real cool!

Let's break up this water monotony.

The way I battle now, well, I can only look at the Pokemon League! You, go on! You go to the Pokemon League for me, too!

Isn't this fun? Look at all the fun we're having on this island.

Alright, back to trainers.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I don't like mountain men. But, you know, my most favorite kind of guy looks great with Pokemon!

Neat, the only way to get these otherwise is through the News Press, which I've completely ignored, oh well. Remember, it works on any kind of water encounter, since there's no diving encounters for a fair while.

Since Skulletor did real well in the Electric Gym, he was skipped over.

Through the fire and flames he makes his starry entrance!

I shouldn't be worried about what bikini to wear. The first thing to do is consider what Pokemon I should be using!

Took a little while to show up, but this is the earliest you can get Mantyke. Thankfully it's real easy to evolve, so if you want to use a level 51 Mantine, now's the best time.

Sure loads of trainers still have Gyarados, but now it's getting so high in level it's getting some rubbish moves, so that's nice.

Alright, let's never go to this route ever again.

Victory Road the fourth. Johto excepting, I think these are rad dungeons that really test you, so let's head in!

Victory Road

So there's two things that come to a head in this place. Firstly, this is the HM region, so of course we'll be using a lot of them. Secondly, we still need to see every Pokemon, so guess where a lot of the big and strong evolutions to a lot of stuff is? Boy my typing hands can't wait...

Wait, that's illegal. We were cheated out of one, which is a shame, cause when you have a friend, Gengar is a monster now that it can get special STAB on BOTH sides. I mean, do I really need to go over what's so great about it? A mon that's been OU for practically the entire series? Losing the elemental punches is a bit of a pain, but I think it'll be just fine. Imagine if you faced this monster early in a game with a low level curve and mediocre mons? YIKES!

We're in the Endgame people, so I'm knocking out these strong threats as soon as they pop up, I like not running out of Revives, cause my mons faint a lot. Gardevoir is pretty unchanged, it hit hard with Psychic attacks before, with not a lot of coverage available to it, but now it's got Shadow Ball and gets some real nice additions like Focus Blast, Energy Ball and Charge Beam. Man, and Ranmaru was already a monster...

I see it now! You will battle the Elite Four of the Pokemon League!

Firstly, why is this still a TM, secondly WHY IS IT HERE?!

The wings of freedom... I know I'll find them if I can win my way through the Pokemon League...

You can already tell this is gonna be a bit of a maze. I like it, but that's because I know exactly where I'm going.

Ooh, a UFO sighting, I believe. Considering how easy it is to get, we obtained Magnemite a fair while back, this thing is a monster, get used to me saying that a lot, power creep yo. Just insane SpAtk and real good Def to maybe survive an Earthquake. Well, maybe not, but it's appreciated! Discharge and Flash Cannon are the only things it really gets, aside from Signal Beam, but it's kinda all it needs, so rise up and remember to get Tri Attack as a Magneton.

Also there's a big pink blob, but thankfully it only took about 10 seconds to drop that HP. You know what this big blob does, especially since special attackers are more specialised, so it can straight up wall a lot of Pokemon. It even has passable SpAtk so you can use it fine enough, but it'll need those strong elemental TMs that could go to something that doesn't have 1 point higher than Lumineon. Okay, low blow, but if you like spending an extra hour watching HP go down, this is a great choice.

Once you emerge from Victory Road, the Pokemon League lies directly ahead... but many Trainers fail to ever find their way on Victory Road...

Alright, first section done, onto Strength puzzles with some smashable rocks, because gently caress you. There's also a few new Pokemon to catch in this area, so that's nice to break up all the battling.

XTREME!!! xtreme.

Alright, onto more nonsense.

Here's big pig, while you have to tutor Ancientpower, it's still very worth it, with two great offensive STABs and an early Earthquake, you'll be laughing. Though, since Icicle Crash doesn't exist yet you've got, uh, Ice Fang or Avalanche. Hm. Did you know this line has Double Hit? I learn so many things doing these. Anyway, your other best options are Rock Slide, Iron Head and Superpower, though keeping Ice Shard from earlier will help that real shame of a Spd. Everything is cut to service that Atk and boy does that carry it a lot.

Also important to remember that we've seen a few mons in advance due to our team, but they're all here and available, it's actually pretty cool. I can understand why they never did it again though.

One day, people will run to the other side of the road when I walk by 'em. It's a goal of mine I'm working on.

"the Pokemon League's Elite Four!"

The pink pixie is pretty meh, its stats are all pretty similar, it's just carried by its massive loving movepool. It can use basically anything you want, what do you want from me? Well it can get Meteor Mash from Clefairy, so that's cool I guess. Otherwise there's not much to say until it gets completely rebranded into a monster. Or just have fun with Metronome or whatever.

It doesn't appear as if anyone could even try to stand against your might. The Elite Four should just surrender.

Alright, we're coming back for that I guess.

Cool whip, baby. Not all the new evolutions are knock outs, but this one is carried by an insane movepool and the stats to just about make use of them. Again, whether it deserves them is up to you, but you can get it kinda early and it works out. Don't get too excited, Power Whip is only available around now and like Wring Out, it's pretty nice and saves on other options. The main note is STAB Explosion, but it's special now, so no using Swords Dance, but otherwise it's perfectly usable and gets whatever you fancy, so go nuts, because they had to be to approve this design... ah just kidding, I love my dumb round baby evolution.

Rather than navigating Victory Road, I have a much better time putting young Trainers like you to the test.

We'll just reset the boulders and find a good chunk of the floor still left, sizeable side areas are always a good time.

The XTREME never ends.

That will make me better all around.

I want to improve my doubles technique as much as I can. That will improve me as a Trainer.

A pain, but not a huge problem, Pop can only be so fragile.

Your mastery over several Pokemon at once... you're a remarkable Trainer!

Depending on the combinations, every kind of Pokemon can excel. At least, that's what I think.

...haha... ahahahahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Alright, we're done with the top floor, so at least this place isn't as crazy as previous ones. Not needing Flash also helps immensely.

Ah, No Guard, I love it so. When you have a friend, Machamp is an absolute beast, able to pummel you with Cross Chop, Dynamicpunch, Stone Edge and, well, Fire Blast and Focus Blast, I guess. Unless you've got Foresight, you'll need some TMs to hit other things, and while everything can hit you back, I don't really see that as a problem. Hurricane ain't around yet, so it's time to go all out, hell yeah!

Ahah, just when you thought you wouldn't need Surf! This is Sinnoh, motherfucker, you need to learn 3 HMs just to cross the street!

Now sure, Rock Slide is better from a single player perspective, but oh where's the fun in that?

Alright, the big physical Ghost type is here, why is the best STAB move it gets Shadow Punch? Aw man. Well, the rest of the amazing movepool makes up for that, relearn the punches, get all the physical TMs, since I'm sure no one else is using them and then go kinda wild. The really low HP is such a shame, it drags the impressive defensive stats down so it's as if they weren't really there. Also Shadow Sneak means you're not slow as hell. You'll have to rely on your coverage, since Shadow Punch is something at least, but boy did it draw the short straw.

See, all these free Heart Scales means I don't need to bother with the press, not like they do anything useful anyway.

How do you expect to counter that?

There was an attempt.

The combination of you and your awesome Pokemon... it's the ultimate tag team!

Yup, the way you battle is fantastic! You should try to take the Elite Four right now--not later!

How many aces must I leave in my wake???

Dodging a Hammer Arm, because I get rewarded for my insistence on using a Pokemon until it's gained a level.

If you don't give up, you can reach your goal. That perseverance is what's important to Trainers. That's in my book, too.

Oh yeah here's another HM you need. That makes 5?

Oh hey, I thought there was a middle stage we were missing. If you hold out for one level past evolution, you get an early Dragon Rush, which is alright I guess, Dragon Claw is much more dependable. Anyway, it chewed everything up as a Gible, it's wrecking fools as Gabite since its physical movepool is pretty drat great, but by this point it's falling behind and probably didn't appreciate the ice hell earlier. For dragging it around for most of the game, its evolution better be worth it, maybe one of the best Pokemon in the game, almost broken, even? Does this mean someone will use it against us to complete our dex? N-Nah... that seems a bit mean...

How should I teach the most powerful of the Dragon-type moves...?

Alright, another floor done, we're nearly outta here! One more thing...

Do we still have to breed Azurill? Mehhhhhhh.

It's called body heat from exertion, this place is a hell of a workout.

Rude. For something you trade twice, it's pretty drat great, it has to be! While there's no Conversion Z for a little while yet, getting Psybeam, Signal Beam, Discharge, Tri Attack and Hyper Beam in that order from level up is still impressive. And yeah, STAB Nasty Plot boosted Hyper Beam, that'll ruin your loving day. That's not even getting into all the other crazy special moves it gets, it's worth hanging onto them for this, though Porygon2 has its charms. Its other stats aren't even that bad, so this is a very fun mon to use if you can stomach socialising with someone TWICE.

OH gently caress

Overgrown, but stats in all the right places, being a pretty great mixed attacker that can take a few physical hits. Not getting Grass STAB sucks, since both physical and special options are basically postgame, real annoying when they keep doing that. It does get better special options, with Shock Wave, Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast and Ancientpower, but it has physical options in Brick Break, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Poison Jab and I guess Wring Out and Sleep Powder and stuff. It's fun to experiment, since Tangela is usually not the first pick, but it can definitely do some work if you put the time in.

Neither Pokemon nor people live forever. But it is the very frailty of life that allows us to shine!

Oh hey, the earliest you can get Weavile in DP. The gently caress?

Man, I hope you're not thinking this game is nearly over, because OH BOY it isn't.

Bouncing around a bit, but we're going everywhere but the exit!

Oh, wow, this is a 5% encounter on all floors, but we can get outta here no prob-

Every. loving. Time.

When two roads diverge, you must choose the path less traveled...

And there's the exit, I can understand you not liking this dungeon at all, but I think it's designed really well and definitely feels like the culmination of everything you've done throughout the game.

Okay now we can leave.

Pokemon League Day / Night

Pokemon League: The Pinnacle of Trainerdom!

Got one plate left, in the postgame. Wonder if we'll use them for anything?

We've reached the end of our main story journey.

There's not much to this lobby, so we just gotta heal up, make sure our items are good and then next time, it's the Elite-

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Explosion is physical though

I don't care for the gen 4 victory road music. It would be passable if it was for some random cave but for the final dungeon it's extremely nothing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Revenge of the Barry.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
goons are everywhere

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A fun note about Draco Meteor: it's a contest move! CoroCoro ran a contest before the game came out and the winner was Draco Meteor.
They did the same thing with Sword & Shield: Steel Beam won a contest and is a 140 BP special steel move that deals 50% recoil damage.

And while we're at it let's bask in the glow of proto-Tangrowth.

Jaranra. Love that spooky smile! I really like our woolly cave man Tangrowth but this one's such a treat. IMO it would work perfectly as a split evolution, but alas.

And the mistake that was proto-lickilicky

Nameru. I know Lickilicky doesn't have a lot of fans but I like our big round boy more than this by a large margin.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Porygon Z's Hyper Beam is the scariest Hyper Beam in the game, and I still believe that to be true even in the current generation. It's a comedy option for sure if you're playing competitively, but it's a fantastic nuke if you're lucky enough to be able to use it in single player.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Mantyke being the very last Pokémon you can catch before the League is definitely one of the uh, stranger decisions in terms of mon placement across the series.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ParTwo posted:

Porygon Z's Hyper Beam is the scariest Hyper Beam in the game, and I still believe that to be true even in the current generation. It's a comedy option for sure if you're playing competitively, but it's a fantastic nuke if you're lucky enough to be able to use it in single player.

I remember back in the day when that thing was hyped as the Blissey killer in competitive singles. After 1 turn of setup, a single Hyper Beam could OHKO her. It didn't really work out, as that mon had too many issues it was saddled with to really be worth using. Low speed, and Normal is not a great defensive typing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Araxxor posted:

I remember back in the day when that thing was hyped as the Blissey killer in competitive singles. After 1 turn of setup, a single Hyper Beam could OHKO her. It didn't really work out, as that mon had too many issues it was saddled with to really be worth using. Low speed, and Normal is not a great defensive typing.
The Blissey Killer is and has always been anything that gets STAB on a decent physical Fighting move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like Lickilicky. :colbert: