Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah there was a semi-affordable itallian place that also did catering, grocery and like weird mystery events after hours (never managed to go to one). My only problem with them is that they saran wrapped everything and you could taste the saran rap if you didn't get the food home fast enough. They tapped out during the pandemic though. There are a lot of itallian ghost kitchens and such on delivery services but it's pretty hard to get something from those apps for under $20 per person.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
there was a place in my hometown that did gelato and pizza. like a 8" cheese pizza and a pint of gelato would be twelve bucks. Their gelato was incredible, best I've ever had. Amazing flavors. Pizza insanely good.

Guess the owner did some big Financial Crimes and the place had to close suddenly. absolutely tragic. I have a lot of fond memories of being home alone for a weekend and living it up with my own pizza and blue moon gelato.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I mourn the loss of decent food service cheese, specifically for pizza. Seems like the quality of pizzas overall has gone downhill, including local places, doesn't matter the restaurant.

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't know if Hormel chili hot w/ beans is actually discontinued or if the grocery store around the corner just randomly stopped stocking it, but if it is, my heart will truly be broken. The only kinds I see anymore are regular w/ beans (which basically tastes like nothing), regular w/o beans, a vegetarian variety, and one with ground turkey. Please don't take the one laziest meal that I have left :cry:

edit:

big dyke energy posted:

there was a place in my hometown that did gelato and pizza. like a 8" cheese pizza and a pint of gelato would be twelve bucks. Their gelato was incredible, best I've ever had. Amazing flavors. Pizza insanely good.

Guess the owner did some big Financial Crimes and the place had to close suddenly. absolutely tragic. I have a lot of fond memories of being home alone for a weekend and living it up with my own pizza and blue moon gelato.

I feel your pain. :smith: There was a place down the street from my old apartment that made baked mac & cheese with fried catfish strips, and it was so god drat good that I pretty much had to force myself not to go there every single day. Then it just randomly stopped being open without any notes or announcements or anything, so I Googled it hoping to find out what was going on, and it turned out that the owner had murdered someone during a pay dispute.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 22, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel your pain. :smith: There was a place down the street from my old apartment that made baked mac & cheese with fried catfish strips, and it was so god drat good that I pretty much had to force myself not to go there every single day. Then it just randomly stopped being open without any notes or announcements or anything, so I Googled it hoping to find out what was going on, and it turned out that the owner had murdered someone during a pay dispute.

We lost our best cheesesteak place in town because the perv owner couldn’t keep his hands off the 16 year old employees.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Every night when I do my prayers, I say one for the Burger King apple pie. I think there is some company (Edwards?) that makes a similar product, but I haven't seen it. I pray for safe passage of the pie into the afterlife, the great Hole Beyond, or my local Burger King. Lord shepherd our great lost pie. And I pray safe passage for the Taco Bell caramel apple empanada as well. Amen.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Hardee's still makes a fried apple pie. Pretty good too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't remember the Burger King apple pie, but I still miss the McDonald's fried one. The newer baked ones are... okay. But it's not the same.

Popeye's has a pretty good fried apple pie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I used to order apple pies at like 2:00 AM and they would give me 3-5 if I just ordered one because no one ever ordered them. At some point I stopped ordering them and never did again and don't know why. Some of their McCafe pastry stuff is pretty good actually but it's only available in the daytime here.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

jollibee's peach mango pie puts the apple pies to shame imo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

My palate just does not grok mango :shrug:

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rick posted:

I used to order apple pies at like 2:00 AM and they would give me 3-5 if I just ordered one because no one ever ordered them. At some point I stopped ordering them and never did again and don't know why. Some of their McCafe pastry stuff is pretty good actually but it's only available in the daytime here.

Back in college I worked a closing shift at McDonalds and there were almost always leftover pies and chicken nugs I'd get to take home. I really miss the cherry pies, they had a nice little bit of tartness at least. The apple pies are all sweet.

Edit: I miss the seasonal pies as well. We had pumpkin for October and November, and a custard pie for December to January. I really liked taking a pumpkin pie and blitzing it with the mcflurry machine with soft serve and caramel.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of pies, there used to be this really kick-rear end Mrs. Bairds strawberry fried pie that actually tasted like real strawberries, as opposed to beaver rear end squeezings. I'd buy one every time I stopped in a convenience store that stocked Mrs. Bairds pastries.

Then I made the mistake of telling a friend who was a massive strawberry freak about them. She called me a liar, because she had never seen them, so I told her I'd buy her one and prove it.

I have never seen one again since that day.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A few weeks ago I went into a McAlister’s and was shocked and saddened to find that they no longer have the orange cranberry club. What a loss.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I wish Dairy Queen still had a simple BBQ hamburger like they eat in The Outsiders

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Wild Wings Buffalo chips...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Woke up craving the Safeway version of Mountain Dew, Mountain Cool, which I haven't seen in 20+ years

Mountain Breeze is not the same

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cockashocka posted:

What? They got rid of these? They were amazing and the french fries sucked rear end.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Cockashocka posted:

Good call. Buffalo chips with cheese were expensive at the time, but I always got them with wings. Now I am irrationally angry over a potato.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They do have some of the worst fries in the business. I generally don't go there because they were the first place that tripled their prices and I noped out pretty hard on them.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Sonic had a mocktail strawberry daiquiri slushie back in 2019. I drank sooooo many of those things that year.

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Philthy posted:

They do have some of the worst fries in the business. I generally don't go there because they were the first place that tripled their prices and I noped out pretty hard on them.

:same:

Yeah, gently caress BWW hard. They opened one up here a few years ago and I've been there twice. The first time I went with my sister and nephew and was very angry at how expensive it was but apparently I didn't remember. I took my nephew there a few months ago and for the two of us who just got 10 wings and fries and a few beers each it was about $100. My nephew had 2 twisted teas and that was $16 alone. He got the teas because he figured it'd be cheaper than an actual good craft beer. They also charge like $4 extra for real wings compared to boneless.

Never again.

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I hate how society caught up on how delicious the previously undesirable meats are.

Oh, short ribs? Why not just buy filet.

----------------

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Flank steak is so expensive now :( at least we still have chicken thighs

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Not really a 'menu' item but anyone remember Torengos? drat those were good

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im still pining for the shredded chicken burrito from taco bell, they've done other chicken burrito items since then but it's never been the same

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Flank steak is so expensive now :( at least we still have chicken thighs

When I was a kid flank steak was something we could afford often. Not anymore.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I miss human dignity being on the menu

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss the days before everyone discovered Tri-Tip, when I was lifting it was a cheap cut thatd last me a few days. Such a versatile cut. I’ve moved on to Top Round nowadays

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

I miss human dignity being on the menu

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Love fishing down the food chain with lesser and lesser cuts of meat becoming "gourmet" as they move up in price

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Dokapon Findom posted:

Love fishing down the food chain with lesser and lesser cuts of meat becoming "gourmet" as they move up in price

it already happened with catfish; cant wait for its fellow trash eater tilapia to reach that status

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I get pork now instead of beef. Way cheaper and tastes just as good.

A good pork shoulder cut will be as good as a ribeye. Nutty.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 3, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Don't let out our secret!!!

Dry brining and then Reverse seating pork is The Way

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I hate how society caught up on how delicious the previously undesirable meats are.

Oh, short ribs? Why not just buy filet.

The old dark meat McNuggets blow the current white meat McNuggets out the water

----------------

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Philthy posted:

pork is regularly cheaper than chicken out here and as long as you can refrain from overcooking it, it's a super satisfying protein

i make thick-cut chops with a shallot white wine sauce and it's shockingly good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wingstop thighs

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Spicy nuggets in general. BK and Wendy's both had good ones. Wendy's might still have theirs actually but they'll be gone at some point.

----------------

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Wendys has had spicy nuggets for what, 10+ years now? I think those are safer than most items. Of course the grilled chicken sandwich did just get killed after twice as long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

The Backyard burgers in my town just closed after 35 years. Sad day. I loved that place, not saying that it was the best thing ever, but a combination of nostalgia and actually decent product made it my go to whenever I had to be in the part of town it was located. Loved the season fries and the black and blue burger was better than I’ve had at lots of places. RIP Backyard Burger.