Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

A musing as i work throughthe bulk of gouto's story totes forgot that 426 shot like r kids lol. He's been painted very heroically in many folk's endings... Maybe this small Chihiro is behind that murder? Wondering who she could be now...

Funny thing about that, check the database about those particular incidents later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Hijiyama and Miura talking about their favourite foods is the best thing :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I'm pretty much at the end, got 4 waves and the final bit of story left. Didn't enjoy Gouta's thing that much, felt like you got almost all the information, but then they squeeze the last 3 or so key elements into a shuffled state so it can carry a whole character story. Makes sense for the format of the game, but it felt kinda needless as we go back and forth between Chihiro's identity and the stuff that already happened in Destruction.

There's still the ending, but I guess the game was a bit overhyped to me. Instead of immaculate it is merely an amazing 9.5/10 game that I thoroughly enjoyed for nearly forty hours and what narrative-driven games should've become a long time ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I don't like Gouto that much because he's never really a character, just a vehicle for exposition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well someone's gotta be exposition man and if anybody was going to step up it was going to be him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Ending is beautiful so far and its loving Wajima that made me cry

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Just passed the halfway point of the story and, well,

:allbuttons:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

I love that part so much.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

MorningMoon posted:

Same :cry:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

bees x1000 posted:

I may or may not have searched local Japanese restaurant menus for Yakisoba Pan.

MOOD.

I think my happiest takeaway is how optimistic the ending was. I was super ready for everything to be mostly ok but kinda empty or have dark implications. Instead they're getting ready to bring Miwako (and the other 6 million folks i guess) back and everyone's happy together :3:

That final fight was pretty dope lol. I ran out of my tower powers before the halfway point. Before Inaba said it was about half done, I assumed I was near the end. Was ready to restart when the song got super optimistic and I just had to keep going, even as teh map was getting all red and my PS4 was giving out deathchugs.

It took me a while during the ending to process that EVERYTHING was AI, that the pods weren't even in sentinels. So I guess the final consequence to losing again would've been no data to back into the humans and that we'd all get to the planet as husks?

I really loved Okino. Glad that genderfluid dude got to have so much fun with time travel and transhumanism and virtual avatars, much to the dismay of Bi Disaster Hiyijama.

My only gripes are that the way I played things was to just focus on one story and take a sidestep if interacting with someone else got me more curious of another person, until the game would stop me. This meant that I got near the end on everyone and then did Fuyusaka's story, which felt like turning back a ton since I'd known about Ms Morimura pretty thoroughly. Then, yeah, as mentioned Gouto is mostly exposition to setup the final twists with Dr Morimura. He should've clashed with his 2188 self more to tell an interesting story, even if it'd be retreading of Shu's clash with Ida. Also gently caress Ida. Sure, he's just an AI in the spaceship now kinda forced to help everyone now that everything's good, but gently caress 'em.

I think the game's success in the backhalf is just being Good Enough. Like. It stuck the landing. The landing itself didn't blow my mind, but to live up even remotely to what you experience from hour 6-28 is exceptional. And ultimately hours 6-28 are still my favorite chunk of the game. Going through these complex stories through characters with so little information makes building up the pieces extremely satisfying. Combat ended up being way better than I expected. Loved seeing my 26 battle streak as i figured out all that I could on the fly. Just enough depth to carry the probably 12-15 hours of it?

All the characters are great, sans Gouto i guess. Just excellent stuff. Any nitpick I got is super minor, and I think everyone should play this game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Super easy to make yourself! I linked recipes earlier in the thread! And yes, very delicious

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like I did myself a disservice by leaning real hard on Ryoko's double turrets.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I feel like I did myself a disservice by leaning real hard on Ryoko's double turrets.

Going all in on double turrets and watching swaths of enemies melt sounds super cathartic though?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished this and it was really good! Agree with all the sentiments in this thread, and did feel like it slowed down a bit in the back half, compared to how wild the start is. English dub was also great, the voice actor for Fluffy doing a particularly great job.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Going all in on double turrets and watching swaths of enemies melt sounds super cathartic though?

Also you get double the smashy smashy by placing them directly on top of a few kaiju!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I do love Okino's comment near the end that "of course we're not actually in giant mech suits because what idiot would strap into a giant robot like that? you'd get smashed to a pulp the first time someone hit you!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I do love Okino's comment near the end that "of course we're not actually in giant mech suits because what idiot would strap into a giant robot like that? you'd get smashed to a pulp the first time someone hit you!"

tbh I feel like a non-negligible amount of the twists of the game boil down to this feel, see: time travel)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

MOOD.

I think my happiest takeaway is how optimistic the ending was. I was super ready for everything to be mostly ok but kinda empty or have dark implications.

Did you watch the extra scene in the event viewer that appears?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just played through 75 percent or so of Ogata's story and... :catstare:

Now I'm going back to Hijiyama, I've only done his prologue. GIVE ME ANSWERS

S.J.
May 19, 2008

S.J. posted:

I just played through 75 percent or so of Ogata's story and... :catstare:

Now I'm going back to Hijiyama, I've only done his prologue. GIVE ME ANSWERS

OH MY GOD I AM HOWLING

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

LostRook posted:

Did you watch the extra scene in the event viewer that appears?

Just did! Wow that's a little bit hosed!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

S.J. posted:

OH MY GOD I AM HOWLING

I'm gonna be real honest, there are so many intertwining events and characters that I could not tell you which events happened in which characters' stories, especially the 2188 events

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've been back through everything like twice now and I am still completely blanking on certain enormously significant plot periods like I just cannot believe the magnitudes this thing is operating at

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i found out pretty fast that when you start playing this you can't wander off and play something else for a few days unless you want to forget half of what you've already seen, there's just too much to keep track of

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Oxxidation posted:

i found out pretty fast that when you start playing this you can't wander off and play something else for a few days unless you want to forget half of what you've already seen, there's just too much to keep track of

I mean, gently caress, playing certain other parts of 13 Sentinels produces much the same effect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

I'm gonna be real honest, there are so many intertwining events and characters that I could not tell you which events happened in which characters' stories, especially the 2188 events

Hijiyama getting turned on by being tied up by Okino had me absolutely rolling, I love their interactions

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I just started this and did the tutorial and it went places already. I hope it goes places my puny 3D mind cannot comprehend.

Does anyone know a good wallpaper collection? I'd like some of the character key/chapter art in a nice resolution but I was unable to find stuff

Also do I want to switch up Destruction and Remembrance? Are there progression gates? any recommended order?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I just started this and did the tutorial and it went places already. I hope it goes places my puny 3D mind cannot comprehend.

Does anyone know a good wallpaper collection? I'd like some of the character key/chapter art in a nice resolution but I was unable to find stuff

Also do I want to switch up Destruction and Remembrance? Are there progression gates? any recommended order?

There are two types of progress gates in the game. One requires you to complete a certain event during story and one that requires you to clear a certain mission during combat. In terms of recommended approach I would say try to keep every character roughly equal in terms of story completion but do feel free to dive deep into a character if you find yourself getting caught up in what they are doing at the moment.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would do a Destruction mission every two or three Remembrance scenes just so you don't end up having to do a ton of Destruction in a row when you get locked out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's plenty of progression gates in Remembrance mode that'll provide rough guidelines for the order you might get want to follow, as each of those gates relies on information revealed in a certain part of the story for them to make sense. The actual internal order between gates is irrelevant for progression and any differences will be in how your own knowledge of events in one character's story might inform how you interpret events running concurrently in another. This is mostly true so long as you exhaust each non-gate chapter in any given segment.

It's actually pretty cleverly structured, the adventure game half. The story always feels like it's naturally revealing new and relevant information as you go on, constantly answering one question before revealing another. The hard gates are just there to make sure to properly set your expectations and context for the story before deciding what to do with them.

Usually blow up those expectations, but w/e.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I just went balls deep on remembrance for around 15 hours straight before going back to destruction.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MorningMoon posted:

I just went balls deep on remembrance for around 15 hours straight before going back to destruction.

I did the same thing and had a lot of megachips to upgrade skills and now destruction is pretty easy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Papes posted:

I did the same thing and had a lot of megachips to upgrade skills and now destruction is pretty easy.

Yeah same. It also took me like 5 waves to realize how to upgrade the non-character stuff.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

MorningMoon posted:

This is The Way.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

S.J. posted:

Hijiyama getting turned on by being tied up by Okino had me absolutely rolling, I love their interactions

oh yeah, Hijiyama is a disaster bisexual and it's wonderful

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

End game spoilers: I wish Hijiyama and Okino were explicitly a couple in the epilogue. Still doing the teasing thing 5 years later is kind of a disappointment.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

End game spoilers: I wish Hijiyama and Okino were explicitly a couple in the epilogue. Still doing the teasing thing 5 years later is kind of a disappointment.

I dunno how you read that other than them being very explicitly a couple and Okino just taking the opportunity to relive and do a little roleplay from their past, including the line about being able to modify his body. Hijiyama is just an old fashioned dude who flusters easily and Okino never doesn't love exploiting that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

morallyobjected posted:

I dunno how you read that other than them being very explicitly a couple and Okino just taking the opportunity to relive and do a little roleplay from their past, including the line about being able to modify his body. Hijiyama is just an old fashioned dude who flusters easily and Okino never doesn't love exploiting that

Yeah, I took it as Okino was itching to get Hijiyama flustered again, but five years of being in love together means, as he mentions, he doesn't fall for Okino's stunts so easily.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I never assumed anything other than they were together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I definitely read it the way WrightOfWay did, especially with the bits about him taking Tomoe on a date to the old school building.