Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hilarious. Man I miss this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I was just lamenting the other day that I never really finished base D2 or got to try Eastern Sun, and that since the game was stuck at 800x600 I'd want to dig up a VGA monitor to properly experience it. Then I just happened to find this thread. Looking forward to playing this between D4 and PoE sessions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Downtime posted:

My 105 Auradin, geared to the point of 8p melting. This build isn't for the faint of heart given the gearing requirements.

Over in Discord, we're messing with D2GL, a newer version of the old Mousepad Maphack setup, and some various tweaks.. sadly I think I need to set up a capture device as the only way I was able to record this is through monitor cropping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ3t1do7elA

:eyepop:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Realm is currently down for server maintenance that is meant to lessen planned downtime this weekend. Resulting weekend downtime should be shorter and the realm is expected to be back up at some point today (EST)

edit: Back online

Garfu fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2023

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
This game was the original 'X' survivors type

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Garfu posted:

Welp, we're back with some incredible updates.

The ladder has been reset and a new patch with a ton of amazing updates (^thanks Downtime!^) has been applied.

Step2 and Step3 are REQUIRED to play on this iteration of the realm. You cannot use your old install. The install files can be found here:

You do not need to change your video settings at all with a fresh install (do not run d2vidtest), widescreen high-res support works out-of-the-box. The D2 will launch looking 4:3 but will change once you join a game. The window is stretchable

And of course join us on discord: https://discord.gg/aMus7Rx

:siren: If you've played other D2 mods or have an old install that connected to a different battlenet or goontopia.reg didn't work for you, you can search for 'BNETIP' in regedit to easily change your gateway to 'diablo.astryl.dev'

edit: JOIN ME IN HC!!!!!!

Bummer

Did the install as outlined, but this is what I get when I open the Diablo II.exe in the installed folder.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Bummer

Did the install as outlined, but this is what I get when I open the Diablo II.exe in the installed folder.

The game should still run. If it doesn't, have you ran a version of diablo II vanilla recently? AFAICT you can't run vanilla/other mods and this at the same time. I ran into this issue as well and had to delete diablo 2 registry entries from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\ (location from here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Diablo_II)

fwiw I'm on windows 11.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah we haven't had anyone not be able to get it working yet so we can definitely troubleshoot. If just clicking 'run anyway' doesn't work, stop by the #tech-support channel in the discord. We've solved pretty much every issue in there in the past.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I think I figured out the issue. I was running the Diablo II.exe. Game.exe opened.

Edit: OK, maybe not. Opened Game.exe and nothing happened, then opened Diablo II.exe and it gave the same error, but then opened anyway.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 28, 2023

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Realm is down for maintenance as of 6PM EST

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

And we are back.

Also, this lives rent free in my head while playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYJd2qfx5g

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Is it unusual to have complete sets dropping off a single mob (and once 2 identical sets dropped off of a single mob)?

Holy cow but there are a lot of miscellaneous body part drops. Are there certain ones worth taking up bank space?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

In act one, there are three unique mobs that will drop two sets of starter gear. Beyond that, yes it would be uncommon.

Edit: also, the parts can all go into a multistocker, so you don't need to use bank space. If you downloaded all the add-ons, you can just clean up your inventory by getting a multistocker from Gheed, typing .as start and watching the fireworks.

I'd also get a gem can and the rune stockers, as well.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 30, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Capfalcon posted:

In act one, there are three unique mobs that will drop two sets of starter gear. Beyond that, yes it would be uncommon.

Edit: also, the parts can all go into a multistocker, so you don't need to use bank space. If you downloaded all the add-ons, you can just clean up your inventory by getting a multistocker from Gheed, typing .as start and watching the fireworks.

I'd also get a gem can and the rune stockers, as well.

"Set jackpot" is a rare entry on the loot table for normal monsters too, but every once in a while it will drop.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

OK, now that I am finished getting my feet wet in single player, what is the game name and password for the Goontopia server?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

OK, now that I am finished getting my feet wet in single player, what is the game name and password for the Goontopia server?

You register an account with the server

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Astryl posted:

And we are back.

Also, this lives rent free in my head while playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYJd2qfx5g

Carbot is in no small part why I play lit barb. Every time I do a buff rotation I just think of a random video with the Barb shouting in it

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

ikanreed posted:

"Set jackpot" is a rare entry on the loot table for normal monsters too, but every once in a while it will drop.

Runeword jackpots are also a thing. Always nice to see a Thief runeword jackpot drop :D.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Trying to scale the damage on my Winters Fury.

How many levels of cold mastery is helpful?
For fire/lightning eveny skillpoint of mastery is helpful as it keeps boosting damage but cold mastery reduces resists so i am assumng there is a cap since resists can only go to -100%.

It is possible to get masteries oskills on 5 slots which i am assuming is far overkill.

(Theres also the interaction of resistance reduction vs immunes, which first needs to be broken by conviction before resistance reduction starts applying)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

Trying to scale the damage on my Winters Fury.

How many levels of cold mastery is helpful?
For fire/lightning eveny skillpoint of mastery is helpful as it keeps boosting damage but cold mastery reduces resists so i am assumng there is a cap since resists can only go to -100%.

It is possible to get masteries oskills on 5 slots which i am assuming is far overkill.

(Theres also the interaction of resistance reduction vs immunes, which first needs to be broken by conviction before resistance reduction starts applying)

Cold mastery works like fire/lightning mastery in Eastern Sun so crank that with as much +all skills as you can.

Biggest damage hurdles are a source of conviction and the charm that gives you the -resist shout.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have 3x rumor belts you can have for more of that sweet sweet -enemy res (scroll 2 of them into gloves and belt of course).

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

New season on the horizon. An eclipse is approaching

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Garfu posted:

New season on the horizon. An eclipse is approaching

moon expansion confirmed!

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Excited to play Western Moon

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The work turning an arpg into a farming sim was tough but should be worth it in the end

Pinky
Jan 3, 2004
9 fingers, no way!
excuse me, did some one say Eastern Sun????

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Staring at Downtime and Nightwisher tapping watch....

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Get hype and clear your calendar. Shits about to go down

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Garfu posted:

Get hype and clear your calendar. Shits about to go down

:getin:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Need a few people to help test the prod server, we are a hair away from launching. Please DM me in discord.

good for now. Very close. Tinkering is broken so once that's fixed we'll likely launch... probably tonight! I'll make a new post with all of the info

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 17, 2024

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Sneak peek of what's right around the corner for those that are curious:
https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/eclipse.htm

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Garfu posted:

I am excited!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is anyone running this on Linux that could walk me through the install?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Garfu posted:

Oh gently caress yes

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I will play Diablo II until the day I die.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This is nuts. I don’t have time to play, but I really really wish I did. There are a lot of new materials and concepts compared to the last time I played. Is there an overview somewhere of what the new minerals(?), tokens, and so forth are intended to do?

Edit: and is there a single player option for us misanthropes?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Click on the progression guide, it will expand and kinda tell you what things do.

Should work just fine in SP but...... PLAY ON THE REALM!!!!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

drat y'all been doin' work! d2r port when

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

:siren: Diablo II: Eastern Sun: Eclipse is now live! :siren:

ProAtWorkHere (aka nightwisher) has added so much stuff we had to come up with a new name! E C L I P S E. Get it?
Special thanks to Downtime for the behind the scenes integration work as always.

A whole new end-game awaits.
There are too many changes to list here so check out the change log for yourself! https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/D2ESEPatchNotes.txt
More info about the new late-game progression: https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/eclipse.htm

Some additions include:

* 26 new cube materials.
* 60+ new uniques.
* 6 new runewords.
* Dozens of skills improved and made more powerful.
* 36 new areas accessible by special map tokens, with 6 tiers of difficulty. Hell Nihlathak has a chance to drop a random Tier 1 map token.
* 6 new bosses.
* 6 new uber skills obtained from the new bosses.
* 52 new monsters with multiple new skills.
* Upgradeable Melee Splash Stones, a charm providing all melee skills with AoE.
* New charms that come with a high-level CtC on Striking skill, can be upgraded to add synergy skills as charges.

And much... much... MUCH more

Download the entire directory here then simply unzip to any folder, no more steps or extracting over stuff!

To connect to the realm, run D2ESE-Realm.reg - alternatively you can search for 'BNETIP' in regedit to easily change your gateway to 'd2es.chibot.dev'. While there, ensure your paths point to your new directory (this only needs to happen if you've had other installs)
Make sure to use a simple lowercase short password when creating your account. The hosting software has issues with longer complicated passwords. They are still hashed and we cannot see them.
Set Diablo II.exe compatibility mode to XP SP 2 to allow binding of mouse3/4/n and mwheelup/down
Add filter and flee to D2Hackit.ini (/plugin/) AutoLoad line if you'd like to load those plugins automatically. They have been removed from the new install as not to confuse new people
You can drag the window around or resize it by clicking and dragging on the corner or sides. If you'd like the game to look better overall check out D2GL to add AA or other modern gfx settings https://github.com/bayaraa/d2gl/releases
For example, mine looks like this

on a 27" 1440p monitor.

:siren: USE A NEW DIRECTORY EVEN IF YOU'VE PLAYED BEFORE, DO NOT PASTE OVER AN OLD DIRECTORY | IF YOU ARE HAVING VIDEO ISSUES, DELETE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF YOUR Diablo II REGISTRY :siren:

If there are any issues please join the discord server: https://discord.gg/aMus7Rx we've been able to solve all connection and game issues in the #tech-support channel. Remember, if you have other installs of D2 or have had them in the past, there may be some registry editing requirements. We can walk you through them.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

drat y'all been doin' work! d2r port when

You can make it look like d2r with d2gl. AA, sharpening and smooth frames pretty much = D2R with 10x the content