Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, the Pythons have kind of disappointed me. I heard somewhere on here recently that Stephen Fry has said some pretty right leaning things too.

Old and wealthy... It corrupts the mind into thinking that everyone and everything "new" is bad. Nevermind they made their name by being the new people who pissed off the ruling class and gentry. It's the circle of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Old and wealthy... It corrupts the mind into thinking that everyone and everything "new" is bad. Nevermind they made their name by being the new people who pissed off the ruling class and gentry. It's the circle of money

If I recall Eric Idle is okay, voted Remain for Brexit and even called out John Cleese a couple times for being an rear end

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
IIRC Terry Gilliam is still a good dude too but I haven't heard about him in a while now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Large Testicles posted:

IIRC Terry Gilliam is still a good dude too but I haven't heard about him in a while now.

Terry Gilliam is hyper-misogynist trash (look up what he said about #MeToo if you want to be utterly skeeved out). You're thinking of Michael Palin, who is a very sweet and inoffensive man. Cleese is a prat nowadays but it's hard to hate him since he's several million years old and mostly irrelevant.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 31, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Cleese is weird because the Pythons effectively were the woke crowd in the 60s and 70s and now Cleese is yelling at the woke kids to get off his lawn.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Cleese is weird because the Pythons effectively were the woke crowd in the 60s and 70s and now Cleese is yelling at the woke kids to get off his lawn.

Mind you, that was basically his job amongst the Pythons. He was the vaguely establishment stick-in-the-mud who kept them from going completely buck wild. Also he created Fawlty Towers, which makes up for a lot of sins.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You're thinking of Michael Palin, who is a very sweet and inoffensive man.

Michael Palin is a national treasure, by far the best of the Pythons, along with Eric Idle.

The others can go sit in a corner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KozmoNaut posted:

Michael Palin is a national treasure, by far the best of the Pythons, along with Eric Idle.

Which is amusing because for most of his life Eric Idle was known as being the jerk of the bunch.

KozmoNaut posted:

The others can go sit in a corner.

Well, Jones and Chapman can't. Speaking of, it might be a blessing that Douglas Adams croaked when he did because I get the sense he might've gone off the rails in a bad way. Or maybe he would've been super chill and progressive.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 31, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You die a hero or you live long enough to become a villain.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

John Cleese leaned to hard into the character he always played. Pull up John pull up!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-nazi-past-continental-tires/a-54719878

OK, not unusual, German companies working with the Nazis....

quote:

An especially gruesome part of the report details how Continental's rubber shoe soles were tested at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin.

Prisoners were forced to march 30 to 40 kilometers (19 to 25 miles) per day around the camp's courtyard to the sound of German marching songs — any prisoners who slowed down or fell were executed by the camp's SS guards.

Continental also ordered special tests involving forced marches on the snow and ice, with many prisoners marching without socks and some walking up to 2,200 kilometers.

:gonk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yiiiiiikes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Good christ, this is beyond the pale.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy hell what the gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kastein posted:

Holy hell what the gently caress

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BuckyDoneGun posted:

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-nazi-past-continental-tires/a-54719878

OK, not unusual, German companies working with the Nazis....

:gonk:

God Almighty

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Never again. :freep:

To be fair, Continental commissioned the study themselves. These companies are trying to come to grips with their histories and own up to what their predecessors did.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Well, with Ken Block dead, I don't think we'll need to worry about that BRCC sponsorship anymore. :smith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Full Collapse posted:

Well, with Ken Block dead, I don't think we'll need to worry about that BRCC sponsorship anymore. :smith:

Holy poo poo, that sucks. Snowmobile landed on him, I'm guessing? Those things are death machines.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Riding into hard objects usually gets more people on snowmobiles, ATVs are the rollover killers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Riding into hard objects usually gets more people on snowmobiles, ATVs are the rollover killers.

I was thinking more of it being a failed stunt jump with the machine coming down on him, but I'm sure you're right. Either way that's tragic.

The drummer from Earth, Wind & Fire died too, probably not snowmobile-related though. :smith:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking more of it being a failed stunt jump with the machine coming down on him, but I'm sure you're right. Either way that's tragic.

The drummer from Earth, Wind & Fire died too, probably not snowmobile-related though. :smith:

Yeah, now that you mention it, if it was some kind of stunt/trick/jump thing and he actually got struck by a moving snowmobile that'll be bad. For some reason, I was thinking more of a regular rollover accident when you mentioned "landed on him".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus he had just joined Audi and built a UrQuattro with his daughter(?)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Dying is so inconvenient!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

Dying is so inconvenient!!

To be fair, I was honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know I already said 'snowmobiles are dangerous' but there is something weird about someone who does absurdly dangerous things for a living dying doing... Something else. I guess I don't know how avid a snowboarder Block was, but seems to me rally driving was more his main thing.

Maybe it's just reminding me of how shocked I was to hear about Nicky Hayden being killed on a bicycle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Speaker posted:

Maybe it's just reminding me of how shocked I was to hear about Nicky Hayden being killed on a bicycle.

Reminds me of Schumacher’s accident

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mister Speaker posted:

I know I already said 'snowmobiles are dangerous' but there is something weird about someone who does absurdly dangerous things for a living dying doing... Something else. I guess I don't know how avid a snowboarder Block was, but seems to me rally driving was more his main thing.

Rallying isnt actually that dangerous, especially with the safety systems in play. Snowboarding and snowmobiles are quite a deal more risky TBH

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, I was honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I am shocked Travis Pastrana has outlived Ken.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ok Comboomer posted:

Reminds me of Schumacher’s accident

Oh drat this too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We used to have a rolling death counter for snowmobile deaths on my local tv station. Possibly one of the most dangerous items in motor sports.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are those dirtbike conversion kits (with a ski on the forks and a thinner snowmobile belt on the swingarm) any less dangerous? Seems to me I'd much rather drive one of those than a heavy-rear end snowmobile, which was a huge chore the only time I tried it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well, they’re slower, lighter, and more maneuverable, so yeah, they have a few downsides.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Block was into anything and everything that ripped. I'm a little surprised it wasn't an atv wreck or a boat but not that it wasn't rally or gymkhana. That stuff was way more regulated and had safety oversight. Still lovely though, I still really love watching all his Hoonigan content.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it, if it was some kind of stunt/trick/jump thing and he actually got struck by a moving snowmobile that'll be bad. For some reason, I was thinking more of a regular rollover accident when you mentioned "landed on him".

iirc, the article i read earlier said that he was riding uphill, and the snowmobile flipped back and came down on him

e: it was this article, a bit less detailed than i remembered: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42381041/ken-block-dead/

the cops posted:

Block was riding on a steep slope in the Mill Hollow area outside Woodland, Utah at around 2:00 p.m. when his snowmobile "upended, landing on top of him," police said.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 3, 2023

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

That's how I feel about Colin McRae and the helicopter.

We've had a lot of snowmobile deaths in Colorado this season as well, although some of that is tour companies just not training the tourists nearly enough. I know some SAR and EMS people and there have been like 4 in the last week I think. I've never ridden one but apparently they are real easy to slide out on or roll because snow is still snow.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people get on snowmobiles without having the slightest clue what you should or shouldn't do. People treat them like a toy, they gently caress around and find out. I've been rolled over more than a couple of times, but most of them have been highsiders as opposed to back or front flips. Getting squashed into snow is unpleasant but usually you just leave a man-shaped hole in the snow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Lots of people get on snowmobiles without having the slightest clue what you should or shouldn't do. People treat them like a toy, they gently caress around and find out. I've been rolled over more than a couple of times, but most of them have been highsiders as opposed to back or front flips. Getting squashed into snow is unpleasant but usually you just leave a man-shaped hole in the snow.

experience and expertise can breed complacency and unreasonable risk-taking, particularly when doing things like operating dangerous machinery/vehicles/etc.

not to mention that logging more hours doing anything will increase the likelihood of experiencing an accident, in spite of any learning or skill increase that might happen with practice.

Simply put-If you spend more time behind the wheel/fixing escalators/doing surgery/rock climbing/etc, your likelihood of being involved in an accident go up commensurately, simply because more time=more opportunities for accidents to happen, and at least some of those accident causing situations are going to be largely out of your control.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Yeah if you know the odds of something bad happening are 1%, it’s probably not going to stop you from doing it. But if you do it 100 times, your luck is probably going to run out at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Large Testicles posted:

Yeah if you know the odds of something bad happening are 1%, it’s probably not going to stop you from doing it. But if you do it 100 times, your luck is probably going to run out at some point

Covid.txt