Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

a good chost that made my brain hurt a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
some of the built in cohost css sucks, like i genuinely hate that it formats inline monospace text with surrounding backticks, or how every paragraph tag in a blockquote has a quote added to it

both in a way that there's no easy way to get rid of them without having to work around those elements entirely in html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hailthefish posted:

yeah the combination of x posts per page + every person you follow who rechosts something causing the whole thing to be duplicated = any time a chost gets popular in your social circle it takes up entire pages of your timeline is not great and I'm glad it's something they're working on

yeah. i'm actually starting to full on unfollow people. Silencing is poorly implemented (i silenced somebody that apparently just shares those money requests i was griping about) so my feed is just full pages of JERK DETECTED!-esque boxes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
reminds me of mastodon's tombstones (filtered posts), where but it sounds like you can at least view poo poo

mastodon's first impelmeentation was just

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

with no clue as to why, what, or how to view them. literally useless

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i apologise for all of my terrible posts.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just chosted about a new album I like. keep chostin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HKR posted:

staff are @vogon @jkap @aidan, they formed the anti software software club

you can read their manifesto here

it doesn’t seem like the platform works very well and the page wasn’t updated since 2021, when they said they were funded through 2021. what about 2022, and is there any word on how they actually make money? when will it be stable enough to use?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mawarannahr posted:

it doesn’t seem like the platform works very well and the page wasn’t updated since 2021, when they said they were funded through 2021. what about 2022, and is there any word on how they actually make money? when will it be stable enough to use?

tell me you dont actually use or know anything about cohost witho

WhEn wiLl iT bE sTaBlE eNoUgh you fuckin nerd, we've been on it for months and it works fine

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mawarannahr posted:

november 2022 finances update

as for stability, works on my machine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

really the biggest thing that makes cohost a difficult draw to people who aren't tech nerds is trying to explain why a social media site has a manifesto

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

logging out all the time, which makes me not want to use it at all. someone in this thread said it’s because they can’t code the cookies without it crashing or something like that. maybe this could be amended by having a mobile app, which is a pretty basic requirement in 2022. Even this site has an app that’s pretty good and open source. is cohost open source?

I’m sincerely trying to figure out what makes cohost promising compared to all the alternatives, most of which seem technically superior.

HKR posted:

web dev is hard when you have 100k + users and a 3-4 person team who work normal hours only

luckily the staff endorse userscripts to fill in some of the shortcomings with the site

install grease/tamper monkey or whatever and browse this post

https://cohost.org/kiophen/post/466503-cohost-userscripts

maybe some will become features one day

like this doesn’t sound very solid to me at all, and it sounds like they don’t have the resources to make something that works well.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 18, 2022

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

mawarannahr posted:

logging out all the time, which makes me not want to use it at all. someone in this thread said it’s because they can’t code the cookies without it crashing or something like that. maybe this could be amended by having a mobile app, which is a pretty basic requirement in 2022. Even this site has an app that’s pretty good and open source. is cohost open source?

I’m sincerely trying to figure out what makes cohost promising compared to all the alternatives, most of which seem technically superior.

mobile app from them is not happening any time soon unless they automagically block 18+ content

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theyre not trying to replace twitter. If you aren't interested in tumblr but with CSS crimes, cohost is not for you. full stop

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lain Iwakura posted:

mobile app from them is not happening any time soon unless they automagically block 18+ content

why? I see penises on Twitter searching for all kinds of things. eventually, isn’t the lack of a mobile app going to be a limitation on growth and viability of the subscription model?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you want a twitter replacement you probably want mastodon, but that is also a complete technical and social nightmare that enables microblogging neofeudalism. instead of one elon you've got tens of thousands of potential wannabe elons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mawarannahr posted:

eventually, isn’t the lack of a mobile app going to be a limitation on growth and viability of the subscription model?
no

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

theyre not trying to replace twitter. If you aren't interested in tumblr but with CSS crimes, cohost is not for you. full stop

I see. I’ve only ever seen it discussed on the context of people moving there from Twitter, and other people saying it looks promising but not mentioning what it’s promising for. Thanks

is it open source btw, or why isn’t it? it seems like a manifesto thing to do.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its my twitter replacement in that "its the social network i primarily hang out on" but can i insult billionaires, hang out with gay VAX hackers, and get a red panda pic every hour in one place? na

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't think the software non-profit that has an organizational structure indistinguishable from a long-distance polycule really gives much of a poo poo about whether or not they have a "viable subscription model" op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

I don't think the software non-profit that has an organizational structure indistinguishable from a long-distance polycule really gives much of a poo poo about whether or not they have a "viable subscription model" op

why do they care enough to put it on their home page if they don’t?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
please go troll some other thread tia

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

didn't they more than triple their user count in the last like, month? no poo poo that made some problems for them. works okay for me overall. :shrug:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

alright, thanks, really not trying to troll but trying to figure out what people outside this forum are talking about when they say it’s promising , and I was looking at it in the context of Twitter migration (as that is how people were discussing it). peace

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 18, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one thing that annoyed me about twitter was people who just retweet dumb poo poo all day long multiple times an hour and fill up your feed with constant crap that's not interesting

cohost has the same problem, only now the individual posts are bigger.

it's not for me i guess. that's ok. i'll keep poking around every few weeks to see if it's less annoying to me, and in the meantime i will yospost

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i don’t mind the reposts but i do hope they find a way to only show you one. if a post picks up steam it’s nothing to see it four or five times in a row.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah timeline deduplication would be really nice because currently when all your friends on cohost really like a post it just becomes your whole timeline until it exits your social circle

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

chosted again, I donno how many folks are writing long-form computer-touching posts but it'd be nice to have syntax highlighting in code blocks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cohost kinda sucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hailthefish posted:

yeah timeline deduplication would be really nice because currently when all your friends on cohost really like a post it just becomes your whole timeline until it exits your social circle

there are userscripts to fix this (that i don't use) but yes, it's a fairly big problem. i just look at it, go do something useful with my time like eat a sandwich or turn my monitor on, and then look at it again.

seeing the same thing over and over sucks but i just come back a while later and there's something else. change the channel

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cohost is like tumblr but for bigger nerds and bigger degenerates

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
exactly

also don't use that word against queer communities maybe

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the duplicate posts-on-reply/repost thing is annoying but im glad they fixed the log in every day :snoop: thing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

exactly

also don't use that word against queer communities maybe

shut up

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just like posting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also i had the logout thing happen to me once a month ago and it's been fine since. i'm logged in at home and work no issues.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im thinking the cookie thrashing thing mighta been cdn fuckery, cookies and caching are oil and water. but yeah its been fine for me for 2-3 weeks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it was a DB for session storage that dropped content when filled https://cohost.org/staff/post/470372-potential-downtime-n

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh interesting ty

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

MononcQc posted:

dropped content when filled

Relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

i chosted again and the site immediately slowed to a crawl, sorry yall