Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've dedicated to doing two runs in order to get all the achievements. Knowing I'll have a second run, how should I set the sliders for my first playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyber space to 1, everything else 2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I agree with seb

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Man I just ran into the cortex reaver, that was a fun fight. The way it moves is so horrible.

However, is it just a troll? Struggling to work out what you get for beating it, like I don't think it's guarding much?

Dgmw that would be entirely in keeping, just curious if I missed something.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Why cyber to 1, out of curiosity? I set it to 3 on my first run and didn't feel like it was onerous or particularly more difficult than the normal game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Man I just ran into the cortex reaver, that was a fun fight. The way it moves is so horrible.

However, is it just a troll? Struggling to work out what you get for beating it, like I don't think it's guarding much?

If its the one on flight deck its guarding the resistance base

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Cyber space to 1, everything else 2.

I found Combat 3 was pretty fun, it actually made the enemies *dangerous*.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sebmojo posted:

That fight is required to progress in the game.

From my attempts the only thing that consistently worked was using the speed boots, the laser rapier, and a berserk patch and just wailing on it for about 10 seconds

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i just stunlocked it by swapping between emp and frag grenades in the grenade launcher

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

0 rows returned posted:

i just stunlocked it by swapping between emp and frag grenades in the grenade launcher

i got it by running from one corner to the other and hiding behind the pillars, taking a few magnum shots each time. it's a good boss tho.

occurred to me afterwards i had a bunch of reflex patches that would have made it easier.

now i'm on beta grove, hoo that's spicy even with the upgrade

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
True Hackers plays with Cyberspace on 3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there any purpose to finding dupes of guns you already have? Doesn't seem like you can recycle or vaporize them and it's not like you lose anything on death?

Currently working my way through the reactor. One of the best purchases I've made all year.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any purpose to finding dupes of guns you already have? Doesn't seem like you can recycle or vaporize them and it's not like you lose anything on death?

Currently working my way through the reactor. One of the best purchases I've made all year.

You can pick em up and take the ammo out, then drop em.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PantsBandit posted:

It's so good. If you haven't played before, the game expects you to either write things down or remember them, which I kind of love. I do wish you could make notes on the map instead of just dropping pins, p sure you could do that in the original.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's so good. If you haven't played before, the game expects you to either write things down or remember them, which I kind of love. I do wish you could make notes on the map instead of just dropping pins, p sure you could do that in the original.

I saw about the computer node terminal thing so I'm writing those down, nothing else so far has required it but I'll keep an eye out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you find something unusual it's a good idea to make a note.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree that I wish the remake had a notes feature, but Steam did just implement a notes section in the overlay; if you're playing via Steam, it's not an awful surrogate.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

FlamingLiberal posted:

That fight is required to progress in the game.

The Flight Deck fight isn't required to beat the game (I've mentioned a few times that my first playthrough had a bug, so I couldn't get to that part of the level)

There isn't much sequence breaking compared to the OG, but maybe I just haven't been checking to see what the speedrunners have discovered

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

aniviron posted:

I agree that I wish the remake had a notes feature, but Steam did just implement a notes section in the overlay; if you're playing via Steam, it's not an awful surrogate.

Or, hit F12 and take a screenshot.

That's how I got around the note taking.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's nice for codes, I did do some of that, but sometimes it's like, "Oh hey an audiolog said that there would be loot here" which is hard to screenshot and I am going to forget by the next time I am able to play.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I don't know why I was apprehensive about playing this game...I played 4 hours in my first session. I just stepped off the elevator to the Reactor when I had to call it a night.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I don't know why I was apprehensive about playing this game...I played 4 hours in my first session. I just stepped off the elevator to the Reactor when I had to call it a night.

I'm holding out for the game pig to be introduced, "yeah yeah..this insect is going for a new high score, I don't have time for your bullshit now, SHODAN"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goddam, engineering does Not gently caress Around.

glad i have 125 magpulse rounds stockpiled.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

Why cyber to 1, out of curiosity? I set it to 3 on my first run and didn't feel like it was onerous or particularly more difficult than the normal game.
it's tedious and forces you to start over if a gotcha gets you right at the end.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Splorange posted:

I'm holding out for the game pig to be introduced, "yeah yeah..this insect is going for a new high score, I don't have time for your bullshit now, SHODAN"

You can probably just buy a mini-game collection instead if that's the deal breaker

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

You can probably just buy a mini-game collection instead if that's the deal breaker

It's an integral part of the shock experience, you philistine :v:

(seriously though, waiting for at least another patch before going 100% the whole thing)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Had to look up a guide last night to finish blowing up the mining laser. I hadn't found the isotope and I didn't realize that the code for the safety override appeared on the monitor after doing the cyberspace in the library. It just says "override code unlocked" or something like that, if you don't think to look around the room again afterward you're kinda SOL until you circle back around looking for any clues.

If I see a room with high radiation and no barrels to blow up, I assume I have to come back later. But with the isotope I guess you're just supposed to guess that you need to run past the radiation trench and ignore the rads. Not a huge deal but seems like there are a lot of pain points where you can get lost because you missed something that was unclear.

Just got the boots upgrade that lets you hover. Is System Shock a metroidvania...?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PantsBandit posted:

Had to look up a guide last night to finish blowing up the mining laser. I hadn't found the isotope and I didn't realize that the code for the safety override appeared on the monitor after doing the cyberspace in the library. It just says "override code unlocked" or something like that, if you don't think to look around the room again afterward you're kinda SOL until you circle back around looking for any clues.

If I see a room with high radiation and no barrels to blow up, I assume I have to come back later. But with the isotope I guess you're just supposed to guess that you need to run past the radiation trench and ignore the rads. Not a huge deal but seems like there are a lot of pain points where you can get lost because you missed something that was unclear.

Just got the boots upgrade that lets you hover. Is System Shock a metroidvania...?

I found myself making the same assumptions the first time too:
1. I was keeping notes but didn't realize the override code would show up on the screen in the game world once I unlocked the library cyberspace terminal
2. I initially avoided Radioactive/toxic/etc. rooms, but eventually realized you're just not supposed to hang out in them; most of them aren't especially dangerous, even with limited (or no) Environmental Protection Pack

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Did I miss an upgrade if my status tab is still greyed out on the menu?

For some reason this is trickier to Google than it should be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, you'll find an upgrade eventually.

And yes getting a bit irradiated isn't actually a big deal.

Incidentally, if you are wondering what the LBP unit of radiation/biological contamination is, it's Lord British Penis

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

lol just lost a life to the vending machine grenade

A bored SHODAN, thinking up ways to looney-tunes the hacker to death.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

lol just lost a life to the vending machine grenade

A bored SHODAN, thinking up ways to looney-tunes the hacker to death.
I mean it worked...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've got about 7 hours in the game and am loving it, but definitely hitting the spot where I need to be taking notes and being more mindful of the audiolog clues.

I went from Medical to Research to the Reactor and realized I should have done Maintenance & Storage before Reactor. I wasted a bunch of ammo in Reactor so I'm struggling a bit in Storage.

It's safe to just dump weapons in spots, they'll not despawn, right? I'm thinking now that I've got the Rapier the Wrench/Pipe have outlived their usefulness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes you can shove them in a crate or just drop them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Be aware you need power for the rapier to work.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

It's safe to just dump weapons in spots, they'll not despawn, right? I'm thinking now that I've got the Rapier the Wrench/Pipe have outlived their usefulness.

The elevators are a bit buggy (not the cargo elevator, but just dropping items on the floor of the normal ones) but everything else is safe yeah.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Who's spray-painting "DIE" on the wall? Seems kinda edge-lord.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Who's spray-painting "DIE" on the wall? Seems kinda edge-lord.

The resident Germans are trying to tell you something, they just don't make it past the first article.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

probably were trying to write DIE SHODAN, very considerate of them to use her preferred articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You've gotta look closer, maybe brush some blood or debris out of the way; they all say "DIET"