Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ahem: lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

This is such a great example of the DeSantis dilemma - he wants to run against Trump, but he has to do stuff like this, either because the voters love Trump so much or because he doesn't dare to go against Trump. Neither option bodes well for his chances.

It's an indictment. That means he is being Officially charged with a crime.

When push really comes to shove, DeSantis is, at the end of the day, a Trump loyalist. He will bend the knee to Trump, all Trump needs to do is point down at his feet and DeSantis will be at shin-level to Trump before either man can even blink.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So I take it that with language like "Soros-backed" DeSantis has not typically been relying on the support of Jewish voters in FL?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

If nothing else, it breaks the seal that you can charge a former president with a crime.

I of course hope it’s much more than that. Go get him, Georgia. And the DOJ.

This, yeah. Even if he walks in the end, this kills and buries all the confident "You can't indict a former president!" statements, so there's that much less pressure against it for other investigations to move right to charges.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Main Paineframe posted:

This is such a great example of the DeSantis dilemma - he wants to run against Trump, but he has to do stuff like this, either because the voters love Trump so much or because he doesn't dare to go against Trump. Neither option bodes well for his chances.

Nah this is exactly the kind of thing DeSantis loves. Easy credit for no work. It's not like they need Florida's cooperation to arrest Trump if he tried to stay put at Mar-a-lago.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PT6A posted:

So I take it that with language like "Soros-backed" DeSantis has not typically been relying on the support of Jewish voters in FL?

He tries to make up for it by ostentatiously slobbering all over Israel whenever the chance allows, thus consciously or not acting to reinforce the idea of the good ones (over there, oppressing Palestinians) vs. the bad ones (over here, doing anything at all we don't like).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

So the Trump indictment is surely going to need its own thread, no?

When (if), he's found not guilty, I have to think this is only going to fortify his brand. At least among his base.

While I don’t think this is an unreasonable theory it seems to make the fundamental assumption that Trump’s base/brand can be strengthened any more than it has from - waves wildly at the last 8 years.

If absolutely nothing else it’s good that a prosecutor and grand jury rejected the notion that the former president is above the law. And that theoretically sets a precedent.

Edit: and THAT’s why they’re all panicking and calling this the end of America. It’s basically a repudiation of the argument of Nixon that 50 years of Conservatism is built on.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 31, 2023

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1641594020357976068?t=iGVULQ3faqSJqgNMeTL77g&s=19

So, they either threw the book, or... Yeah, it goes deeper.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The people saying this doesn’t matter also predicted that Biden would get wiped in 2020, and 2022 would mark the start of the Republicans owning both chambers of congress forever.

It matters. It’s good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BiggerBoat posted:

So the Trump indictment is surely going to need its own thread, no?

When (if), he's found not guilty, I have to think this is only going to fortify his brand. At least among his base.

the odds of it completely taking over this thread are basically 100%

it hasn't happened yet so trump discussion can stay in the pickleball thread for now

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Edit: and THAT’s why they’re all panicking and calling this the end of America. It’s basically a repudiation of the argument of Nixon that 50 years of Conservatism is built on.

So which state DA is going to be the first to indict Biden?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

The Jewish right has pretty much fully adopted and embraced the anti-Soros stuff, eagerly casting him as a sinister anti-Semitic villain who seeks to destroy Jews. Even AIPAC and Israeli government officials have parroted anti-Soros stuff. At this point, I suspect it won't put off any American Jews who already lean Republican.

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/1562496370241851396

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If it's 30+ charges, would the likelihood of them booking and releasing go way down compared to the flimsy singular charge that people thought was the case hours ago? It seems like with 30 charges, that poo poo just got real.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

US Spring 2023 - TRUMP INDICATED

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Give us a list of all of Biden's criminally chargeable actions then.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Zotix posted:

If it's 30+ charges, would the likelihood of them booking and releasing go way down compared to the flimsy singular charge that people thought was the case hours ago? It seems like with 30 charges, that poo poo just got real.

IANAL, but also, I think, no matter if it was 1 charge or 30+, the answer was always going to be "it's complicated" on the grounds of the whole Secret Service thing.

But with at least one felony and the amount of charges, suffice it to say it's now more complicated.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Give us a list of all of Biden's criminally chargeable actions then.

If there is one thing this fine country does right, its not make up bullshit charges.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It would be hilarious if the two weeks Biden spent in South Carolina somehow became the hot topic of their DA but unless Delaware makes a shot at him he's probably fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zotix posted:

Number of charges doesn't really have anything to do with how they arraign and do pre-trial detention. It's the nature of the crime that matters. It's a white collar financial crime that he literally can't reoffend on right now, so he will still get booked and released.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

He's definitely not going to be in pre-trial detention. What kind of flight risk is he? The government has to provide Secret Service protection for him by law, and you know those guys are watching him as closely as they are watching everyone else.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

CuddleCryptid posted:

He's definitely not going to be in pre-trial detention. What kind of flight risk is he? The government has to provide Secret Service protection for him by law, and you know those guys are watching him as closely as they are watching everyone else.

We’re not lucky enough for him to be a flight risk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Christchurch shooter manifesto was actively made to troll the media and hoping to stir up the most stupid moral panics.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s certainly a possibility but the hurdle is finding a plausible criminal charge with a prosecutor willing to put their career and name on the line for it. They’ve tried. A lot. With Bill Clinton, Hillary, Obama, Biden. Ken Starr, James Comey, Hunter’s laptop. It’s harder than it looks.

Assuming you didn’t hitch your wagon to a dude who spent his entire life committing crimes and publicly boasting about them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 31, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pence's live interview is currently airing on CNN.

It's already off to a strong start.

Pence says that Trump's prosecution "will offend the overwhelming majority of the American people who believe in fairness, who believe in equal treatment before the law" and that Trump's prosecution will "convince people that there is a two-tiered justice system in America."

He also says that if Trump is convicted, he doesn't think he should drop out of the race - but, he also doesn't think he should definitely stay in - and he will make a decision on that if it ever comes to fruition.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 31, 2023

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pence says that Trump's prosecution "will offend the overwhelming majority of the American people who believe in fairness, who believe in equal treatment before the law" and that Trump's prosecution will "convince people that there is a two-tiered justice system in America."

He also says that if Trump is convicted, he doesn't think he should drop out of the race - but, he also doesn't think he should definitely stay in - and he will make a decision on that if it ever comes to fruition.

Hell of a swerve there from the guy who thought he was going to die on January 6th.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Trump literally turned his loyalists on the man, who literally screamed for his death on the yard in front of the Capitol, and stormed the halls within trying to get to him, and he's still bending the knee to Trump.

It's an unfathomable level of pathetic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nothing convinces people that there's a two-tiered justice system in America like rich famous people freaking out over a rich famous person actually getting charged for a crime.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I read somewhere that the trial for this would likely occur sometime in mid-2024, likely around summer time, so it'll be a whole Thing in the middle of the election. Defendants usually show up for their trials I believe? Hard to say how it all goes down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Circutron posted:

Hell of a swerve there from the guy who thought he was going to die on January 6th.

He's weaving and swerving everywhere right now. I love the idea that America didn't have a two-tiered justice system until today.

He says Michael Cohen lied about Stormy Daniels and facilitated the payment, so it was correct for him to go to jail. Trump didn't hand a check to anyone and it is possible his name was forged on the check, so he wouldn't be lying when he said he had no idea. That is why Cohen deserved to be in jail, but Trump does not.

Also says that January 6th was bad, but Trump pledging to pardon January 6thers is fine because he would legally be allowed to do that as President. When pressed on whether he agrees it is a good idea, he keeps just saying that the President has the legal authority to pardon people over and over again.

Pence says that campaign finance violations aren't even a real thing because campaign finance violations don't violate natural laws and were made by man.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He had days to prep for these questions

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well no more trips to Scotland for Trump any time soon, since he has to surrender his passport. No more trips overseas at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pence is kind of melting right now from very basic questions.

“While it did not end well, I'll always be proud of the record of the Trump-Pence administration."

"It was a historic administration in many ways. Some would say in bad ways, but I am not one of them. Except for the dissolution of our civility and the pursuing of two political impeachments against a sitting President."

Says whatever Trump is doing has no impact on his decision to run for President in 2024. He and his family have been praying for the last few months to get an answer on if he should run, but haven't heard anything yet. They are going to continue praying and he is going to continue to travel the country listening to Americans until he gets a definitive answer from prayer and his family.

He also again implies that campaign finance laws aren't even real laws because they were crafted by the hand of man and not natural law.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Name Change posted:

He had days to prep for these questions

Days? Not years?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Says whatever Trump is doing has no impact on his decision to run for President in 2024. He and his family have been praying for the last few months to get an answer on if he should run, but haven't heard anything yet. They are going to continue praying and he is going to continue to travel the country listening to Americans until he gets a definitive answer from prayer and his family.

lmao God is keeping them on read until they know for sure if Trump will be behind bars or not

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mike Pence is somehow unable to answer a question about abortion and wobbling around. I have no idea if he is nervous, surprised, or trying to seem to moderate. But, he's coming off incredibly bad and it is bizarre to see Mike Pence of all people hedge on abortion.

"Would you support a 6-week abortion ban nationwide?"

"I'm pro-life."

"If you were President, and a support a 6-week abortion ban came across your desk, then would sign it?"

"Look, I'm pro-life."

"Would you sign it?"

"Wolf, look, I'm pro-life. I'm not gonna apologize for it."

"So, you would support it?"

"If legislation... in that regard... came around, then I would surely... I would surely take a look at it. But, to be honest, I think that this will take place at the state-level."

"But, would you sign a bill?"

"I'd support federal legislation that is pro-life if I were in congress... or any other job in that town. But, when the Supreme Court overturned Roe. v. Wade, they returned the issue to the states. But, look, I will always stand for life."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pence is kind of melting right now from very basic questions.

“While it did not end well, I'll always be proud of the record of the Trump-Pence administration."

"It was a historic administration in many ways. Some would say in bad ways, but I am not one of them. Except for the dissolution of our civility and the pursuing of two political impeachments against a sitting President."

He also again implies that campaign finance laws aren't even real laws because they were crafted by the hand of man and not natural law.

But if Trump pardon's J6'ers, then that's fine, because it's legal, and man-made law is the highest and only standard for morality, have I got that right?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mike Pence is somehow unable to answer a question about abortion and wobbling around. I have no idea if he is nervous, surprised, or trying to seem to moderate. But, he's coming off incredibly bad and it is bizarre to see Mike Pence of all people hedge on abortion.

Presumably someone working for him convinced him that his desired response (All abortion should be illegal, unless it involves horses) basically loses him the general election, and he's dumb enough that he's trying to pivot for a nomination he has absolutely zero chance of getting.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

This is interesting and could really move the needle of how much this actually matters. If it's just stormy Daniels stuff I'm still skeptical, but more things or more counts with fines or even a remote possibly of jail time? That makes more intrigued.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You know, I used to think that Ted Cruz bending the knee for Trump in 2016 was the most pathetic thing I've seen in politics, but this weird Pence defense of Trump has to be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know, I used to think that Ted Cruz bending the knee for Trump in 2016 was the most pathetic thing I've seen in politics, but this weird Pence defense of Trump has to be worse

It's literally Waylon Smithers level poo poo. Trump straight up went "If he dies, he dies" after siccing a mob on the building he was currently in, and Pence's response has almost word for word been "It would have been an honor to have been beaten and strangled to death for you, sir :patriot:"