Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, I picked up where the Live Action left off and watched ~30 episodes of the Anime and it's uhh... not very good compared to the Live Action. The story and world are neat and I'm excited to see them in future seasons of the Live Action but good lord is every single character insufferable in the anime.

Don’t watch the anime, the manga is better paced and much faster to get through overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does the manga still have stuff like the guy who asks every female character he meets if he can see their panties, and then they kick him in the face?

I just... who is that for!? Like who is the audience who needs this character archetype. It isn't just one piece, even goddamn Pokemon does a toned down version of it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does the manga still have stuff like the guy who asks every female character he meets if he can see their panties, and then they kick him in the face?

I just... who is that for!? Like who is the audience who needs this character archetype. It isn't just one piece, even goddamn Pokemon does a toned down version of it

That is a canon character, yes (and unfortunately that gimmick is from the manga)

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
live action Sanji is The Best version of the character, and all other Sanjis will now infuriate me even more knowing Good Sanji exists

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah the Perverted Old Man comedy trope is strong in Japan, although fading. Not so much here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

That is a canon character, yes (and unfortunately that gimmick is from the manga)

I'm sure that would be toned down in the live action, apparently Sanji is also a bit more pervy than in live action where he is just a harmless flirt.

It's just so weird there are these cool characters and then have them immediately do behaviors that make them unlikable! I mean I guess that's juxtaposition.

I also realize this is a product of its time and made dealing with familiar character archetypes to what the author grew up with because they are well established in the genre. I can't really be mad at it, but just annoyed enough at it that while I am greatly looking forward to more of this show, I don't think the anime or probably the manga versions are for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's just so weird there are these cool characters and then have them immediately do behaviors that make them unlikable! I mean I guess that's juxtaposition.

Part of it I expect is it's aimed at 8-13 year old boys who think that's the height of humor and how sometimes humor in Japan is just saying outrageous things. None of this is an excuse, mind.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The character in question is meant to be completely out of touch with social graces after a long period of isolation. At least once when talking to a mermaid he asks her for an outrageous sum of money instead of panties (since mermaids don't wear panties).

I think he has some other variants on the gag too, but his other comedic trait is much better and will probably be the only one he has in live action.

Also yeah the answer is that the intended audience is Japanese preteen/teen males.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luckily his can I see your panites, while very bad and ongoing, is an occasional thing. Unfortunately Sanji has a years long decent into horrendousness that Oda has only recently begun to pull up on. Brook is an occasional dirty old man, Sanji was pairing homo/transphobia with unbearable New York Construction Worker sees a woman energy.

I do really want the Live Action to get a few seasons quickly just so I can eat popcorn and watch the rage filled tears as the internet flips out about it going Woke though. Newkama is some good poo poo. Next season we just just get a taste with Mr. 2.

Man, we got some real killer quote moments coming up next season, and they better not gently caress them up. People gotta know when people die and what friendship is.

Edit: Every character has their own running gag, and it's just that Oda let Sanji's simping gag drift way too far before finally beginning to reel it in. At the same time he tied him into what seems like a well meaning but terribly executed bit that has Sanji freaking out when meeting gay/trans semi-joke characters. Neither of which becomes relevant until like 5 or so seasons down the road.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

I do really want the Live Action to get a few seasons quickly just so I can eat popcorn and watch the rage filled tears as the internet flips out about it going Woke though. Newkama is some good poo poo. Next season we just just get a taste with Mr. 2.

I want Mr. 2's "I have GOT to stop jumping on every random duck I see." #GiveUsKarooCowards

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There are some inexcusable character gags that the live action thankfully omits. But this conversation began with this statement:

good lord is every single character insufferable in the anime.
Which is itself a pretty wild take! Are some of the characters bad? Yes. Are all of them insufferable? I can't argue if that's your perception, but I can boggle.

I do think the manga is a better way to experience the original story, if that's what you want, but the anime's issues are little nitpicks. They do the characters good.

This is like the bizarre inverse of manga fans who were really worried by how "quippy" the early trailers were 'cause Luffy would never make that particular kind of joke or whatever. All versions of One Piece depict unreal cartoony characters acting according to goofy media conventions, but they all convey the same weighty emotions.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I really didn't like any of the characters in the anime. Even outside of the Sanji stuff. They're constantly screaming and getting angry at everything, oblivious to anything going on around them, and seem just plain too dumb to survive in the world they're in.

It might be because my first introduction to the series was the live action but I very much prefer the more grounded in reality take on every one of them in LA to the way they act in the anime. They all end up feeling totally flat in the anime, like the only thing that separates them from one another is what things make them start screaming. At least in the episodes I watched (up through the frozen doctorless island)

I mean I get that it's a cartoon and that's just the energy is has but I'm not into it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 24, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm going to blaspheme here, since I actually prefer the anime to the manga up until Marineford. The sound and the music is just that much better than the few things that the anime changes up until that point. Also the anime does that one punch where all the color disappears, and its way more satisfying than in the manga. It's just that Marineford's the point where the pacing becomes insufferable for me.

I can see Usopp being insufferable if all you had to go on before was Live Action Usopp. He's hands down the most changed character in the adaptation. Some people like him from the start, but the character doesn't fully hit his stride until the 4th Saga/Season. Luffy is more chaotic, Sanji is more cartoonishly simpish, and Zoro is more stoic. Nami is more or less the same, except she sometimes bonks Luffy on the head for being a dumbass.

Edit: If I was starting the Anime as part of continuing the journey from the Live Action I wouldn't start from where LAOP ended. You should probably go back to either the beginning or at least Baratie. That way you can get into the different grove and see the parts where the crew really bonds that keeps you sailing through the more silly stuff. Baratie and Arlong are also the more significantly changed stories from the anime as well. Plus please make sure that you're using the internet to skip the filler. Loguetown is one of the places where the anime expanded on an existing arc with filler, and it kind of drags down the story.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 24, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t stand the anime voices. Any of them. Luffy is too high pitched.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I mean I get that it's a cartoon and that's just the energy is has but I'm not into it.
To be honest, that's fair. As much as I like the anime, this is a completely understandable reason to not be into it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if any of the various dubs have a deeper voiced Luffy, or if all of them do like the Japanese and English versions and have a woman do his voice.

Edit: This appears to be a Luffy round up. English sounds fine to my Anglophone ears. Germany, you got some splainin to do about Raffi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulSF8IPc-gM

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 24, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the straw hats do seem too dumb to be alive in the anime until best girl vivi joins up so i can understand that complaint

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 24, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, Nami is the only member of the crew who it isn't a miracle they haven't died at sea yet.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
smh at all the curmudgeons itt who hate having fun wacky adventures with my best friends the straw hat pirates

Gyges posted:

I'm going to blaspheme here, since I actually prefer the anime to the manga up until Marineford. The sound and the music is just that much better than the few things that the anime changes up until that point. Also the anime does that one punch where all the color disappears, and its way more satisfying than in the manga. It's just that Marineford's the point where the pacing becomes insufferable for me.

I've always felt the same. It starts to become more noticeable an arc or two before that but that's where it gets truly unwatchably bad, imo. The production quality also drops off a cliff at that point, and it starts to look and sounds like dogshit 99% of the time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have to say though I'm really excited to see how they'll portray things like Reverse Mountain, Laboon and Little Garden in the live action. The world itself is extremely cool and I dig how much more fantastical it got after East Blue. Also I did play one of the One Piece musuou games after watching the show so I kind of experienced a lot of the story :colbert:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

I have to say though I'm really excited to see how they'll portray things like Reverse Mountain, Laboon and Little Garden in the live action. The world itself is extremely cool and I dig how much more fantastical it got after East Blue. Also I did play one of the One Piece musuou games after watching the show so I kind of experienced a lot of the story :colbert:

I mean, hell, even the guy who wrote it says the fighting games are the best way to experience Naruto, so fair for this too I guess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yeah, I picked up where the Live Action left off and watched ~30 episodes of the Anime and it's uhh... not very good compared to the Live Action. The story and world are neat and I'm excited to see them in future seasons of the Live Action but good lord is every single character insufferable in the anime. I hear the manga is better but I'll just wait for future Netflix seasons.

I mean it's over 20 years old lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

read the manga, use your brain to make the pictures move

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not knowing much of anything about the source material, was I supposed to assume that Kuro and Mihawk have devil fruit powers that are just never elaborated on? Obviously the action is pretty over the top as a baseline and that's fine (Garp's punches in the finale sticking out as a particularly ridiculous example), but Kuro's shadowstepping and Mihawk cleaving a ship in two with a swing of his sword felt like a step beyond that.

Fake edit: Oh, and I guess there was that bit with Shanks seemingly hitting the sea monster with a compulsion, too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lpzie posted:

read the manga, use your brain to make the pictures move

The words of a savage who never listened to the dulcet tones of Binks Sake.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Not knowing much of anything about the source material, was I supposed to assume that Kuro and Mihawk have devil fruit powers that are just never elaborated on? Obviously the action is pretty over the top as a baseline and that's fine (Garp's punches in the finale sticking out as a particularly ridiculous example), but Kuro's shadowstepping and Mihawk cleaving a ship in two with a swing of his sword felt like a step beyond that.

Fake edit: Oh, and I guess there was that bit with Shanks seemingly hitting the sea monster with a compulsion, too.

Garp, Kuro, and Mihawk are using just normal everyday super powers. Anyone can do it if they train hard enough. Kuro isn't even properly using his ability. Also Garp hasn't even begun to flex.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cattail Prophet posted:

Even "regular" people in the One Piece world can be ridiculously powerful in various ways, the compulsion thing will come up way way way later.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They're almost certainly not going to bring it into the live action, but in the world of One Piece normal humans will just be 10-20 feet tall. It's a world where sometimes you just get real tall, or live to be 140 years old with no health issues. Everyone lives on base level cartoon physics.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's just the usual power fantasy physics thing. There's no effective limit to how strong/powerful a person can be if they have the natural inclination and/or just train that much. It even starts becoming more of a thing later on that thinking you're powerful just for having a devil fruit power is a good way to get your super-powered rear end killed (touched on briefly in the LA, even).

Many of the strongest characters throughout the series have no devil fruit powers.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Devil Fruits are also a gamble. I guess minor worldbuilding spoilers here but, every fruit gives a unique ability, with no repeats, and while there are ways of identifying them, that's not common. Most of the time someone eats one they have no idea what power they're going to get. Very rarely are they not useful in some way but some of them can kind of be duds, meaning you gave up the ability to swim or take a comfortable shower for not that great of a boon. It's an easy way to get a powerup and you could very well hit the jackpot and get an ultra strong ability in very much a deal with a devil, but working for it has just as much if not more upside most of the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'm sure that would be toned down in the live action, apparently Sanji is also a bit more pervy than in live action where he is just a harmless flirt.

I also realize this is a product of its time and made dealing with familiar character archetypes to what the author grew up with because they are well established in the genre. I can't really be mad at it, but just annoyed enough at it that while I am greatly looking forward to more of this show, I don't think the anime or probably the manga versions are for me.
of all the "humorous" things in the series, Sanji being a pervert and Brook asking to see ladie's panties are the two worst running gags of them all. I guess with Brook, it is initially representative of him being isolated and lost at sea on a ship for fifty years, and so EVERY part of his normal manners have long since left him as he slowly went insane from isolation, as represented by all the other things he does when he meets the first new people in 50 years, from acting like a child at the dinner table to burping and farting whenever he wants but then he KEEPS DOING IT and so it becomes a constant lame gimmick.

Sanji is literally my least favorite strawhat because of his pervert gimmick. He has some unbelievably good fights and dramatic moments throughout the series, but ALWAYS returns to being a creep. It gets even worse and even becomes a plot point much later in the series, which sucks even more! I really hate it because he is SO COOL a lot of the time, and yes I get that that's the gimmick, that he can be incredibly awesome and stylish but then be a disgusting perv at other times, but it's basically never funny. There's maybe one time I chuckled at it ever, where he's told by a doctor "NO DON'T GO IN [room full of beautiful women], YOU'VE ALREADY LOST TOO MUCH BLOOD, YOU'LL DIE!" and he just kinda salutes and is like "farewell, my friends" and goes in and "dies". other than that it's never been funny

None of the other characters have that sort of terrible creep gimmick, thankfully.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the devil fruit thing it might be useful to imagine it like a weapon in a videogame, particularly something like Far Cry or Saints Row - most people make do with normal and effective stuff like a shotgun or machine gun and get really good at them, and some people gamble on a gimmick weapon, and might get something cool like the rocket launcher backpack but also might get something less practical like the focus rifle, it's just a magic lootbox. However, the focus rifle isn't necessarily stronger than a machine gun due to how long it takes to use, so the person with a standard practiced ability may still have the advantage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like Sanji suffered from a 'Flanderization' process, where he kept being used as a vehicle to make cheap pervert jokes until that became the character. This is at least eventually rowed back after he gets some character development much later, and iirc Taz Skylar was actually asked to read that and use it to inform his performance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The interesting thing about the movie I watched last night was it was Strong World and the plot of it was basically very similar to the Arlong Park arc I just saw in the LA but if it were set later in the story. What I did enjoy about it is every fifteen seconds something completely insane would happen. And seeing some of the crazier moves the characters later can do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
strong world is a really loving dumb fun movie. it's not the best of the one piece movies but it's probably the most fun one I've watched.

this is how the bad guy introduces himself after kidnapping nami.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjKcneQf3s&hd=1

he chopped his legs off to escape prison and replaced them with swords and just walks around on swords all day. he also has part of a steering wheel lodged in his skull

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gyges posted:

Garp, Kuro, and Mihawk are using just normal everyday super powers. Anyone can do it if they train hard enough. Kuro isn't even properly using his ability. Also Garp hasn't even begun to flex.

Just to add to this, they do elaborate on what these people are doing later on in the series.Without spoiling the specifics of it, just know that eventually there's an explanation of how a non-devil fruit user can still fight toe-to-toe with something who, for example, can turn their body into potato chips. & it doesn't feel like a cope out, which is nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

I wonder if any of the various dubs have a deeper voiced Luffy, or if all of them do like the Japanese and English versions and have a woman do his voice.

Genuinely don't hear Luffy's dub voice as being high pitched. It's so low and gravelly that his actress can't sing high notes anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From watching Strong World last night I didn't particularly think Luffy's Japanese voice was that high pitched either. He was actually lower pitched than I expected him to be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished the season. This is not a perfect show by any means, but it is one that somehow made me start full tilt bawling just by seeing that ugly loving goat figurehead for the first time in episode 3 so I guess it did something right :shobon:

I think my experience was also improved by the fact that it's been actual decades since I read the first volumes of the manga, so while I remember the characters quite vividly, I barely remember anything about the actual stories. So watching this show was kind of like experiencing One Piece for the first time again, without having to constantly compare the two versions against each other, but also having enough fuzzy memories of certain things that I can be like oh yeah they totally did this part right, I think!(?) They captured the spirit, probably!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I decided to give this show a shot because I heard the main theme and it slaps and now I can’t get it out of my head and it makes me want to chase my dream and make friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

I decided to give this show a shot because I heard the main theme and it slaps and now I can’t get it out of my head and it makes me want to chase my dream and make friends.

hell yeah