Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

teen witch posted:

I keep forgetting we have a lesser Pluto TV here and I should be watching it more on the occasion there’s a dece film

We saw an insane one the other day called Godsend

Has anyone ever bought DeNiro as a doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

We saw an insane one the other day called Godsend

Has anyone ever bought DeNiro as a doctor?

I saw that movie in the theater, man. All i remember is "What we did. What weeeeeeeeee did."

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
A lot of people seem to judge a movies quality on things like a lack of plot holes, artistic merit, and the acting. My main criteria is simply how enjoyable a movie is to watch.

Johnny Mnemonic never gets enough love. Keanu doing a dry run for the matrix, a talking dolphin, it has everything.

I was also surprised that Face/Off scores fairly highly on IMDB (7.3). An enjoyable film that people seem to love to hate on.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Doug Sisk posted:

A lot of people seem to judge a movies quality on things like a lack of plot holes, artistic merit, and the acting. My main criteria is simply how enjoyable a movie is to watch.

Johnny Mnemonic never gets enough love. Keanu doing a dry run for the matrix, a talking dolphin, it has everything.

I was also surprised that Face/Off scores fairly highly on IMDB (7.3). An enjoyable film that people seem to love to hate on.

Face/Off is loving transcendent. Assigning it a numerical score is just preposterous.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Face/Off is loving transcendent. Assigning it a numerical score is just preposterous.

It is brilliant. I don't really understand why Nicolas Cage is looked down on as an actor either. I can't say I've seen every film he has been in, but I haven't seen a bad one from him!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Face/Off is a “if I catch it halfway on TV and have the time, it’s staying on” film

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Doug Sisk posted:

Don't think it's too long before we start getting late 80's early 90's retro futurism stuff. I mean a lot of that stuff was set around now or only a little later.

Ah, man I miss some of the more fun early 90's weird as hell future stuff like Tank Girl. Most of our future movies stuff now days seem way too serious.

More talking dolphins drat it!!!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jason Statham telling his boss to put him in the face-off machine so he can just fix everything is evidence of it transcending all, even self.

"Do you have change? It only takes quarters."
"I gotta pay for it?"
"No! Because it doesn't exist!"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Doug Sisk posted:

My main criteria is simply how enjoyable a movie is to watch.

Sure, there's plenty of objectively bad movies that are fun times. Equilibrium is straight up idiot garbage made by morons but I've seen it at least a dozen times and have a blast every time. But there are also utterly fantastic movies that aren't enjoyable at all. I literally had a panic attack after watching Uncut Gems. I felt like I was going to die for the entire runtime but what an incredible movie. An absolute masterclass in filmmaking that I never want to watch again. Also, who's making GBS threads on Face/Off? That movie slays.

I have one that's a bit different. I think Locke is great. It reviewed well but I've seen so many people dunking on it for being "Tom Hardy talks on the phone for an hour and a half". I mean, it is that, but its also a great character study of a dude imploding his life and dragging his family and coworkers down with him so he can do what he has convinced himself is the honorable thing. But because its a movie that's just dialogue and takes place entirely in a car a ton of people hate it. I happen to be partial to single actor, single location films though. I also liked the Ryan Reynolds movie Buried, so there's that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Some day I'll watch my Dinner with Andre. Some day...

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Elissimpark posted:

Some day I'll watch my Dinner with Andre. Some day...

How you going to play with your My Dinner with Andre action figure set without watching it?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

PuttyKnife posted:

How you going to play with your My Dinner with Andre action figure set without watching it?

You know, thinking about it, there are potentially at least three Wallace Shawn based or related action figures available...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Elissimpark posted:

You know, thinking about it, there are potentially at least three Wallace Shawn based or related action figures available...

Yeah, from the southland tales line of figures

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Elissimpark posted:

We’re always stuck waiting for guffman

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Andre Gregory was the warden in Demolition Man, there's a chance you could complete the set.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pneub posted:

Andre Gregory was the warden in Demolition Man, there's a chance you could complete the set.

Did they do merchandise for The Last Temptation of Christ?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

Did they do merchandise for The Last Temptation of Christ?

I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "you could have assembled three crosses from all the relics of Christ's cross on the market in medieval Europe". Can't get better merch than that!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rewatched Thir13en Ghosts last night. It was pretty nostalgic but yeesh, it is absolutely a BAD movie. Capitalizing on the pseudo-scifi-horror of movies like Virus or Event Horizon was inevitable, and some of the deaths are straight gnarly (I forgot about the ghost hunter woman getting crushed in between two walls) but it's chock full of the worst ADR I've ever heard, Matthew 'loving' Lillard is god-awful in it (you can sort of tell his lines were hammed up in direction and probably against his will) and the whole aesthetic reeks of the kind of edgy dark angst that like, it's hard to explain... it's like a KoRn fan's platonic ideal of a horror movie.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Blair Witch 2: Book Of Shadows
I can't tell you why, it doesn't even have a book of shadows in it. I've loved this movie since I first saw it though. Its schlocky but a fun watch.

My wife and I love this movie - one of the first things we watched together back in like 2004. And what we loved about it was the b-movie acting and the reveal at the end that what you saw the whole movie wasn't actually what was happening. So then we watch it again and again and are like ok she's eating chicken right there but then we get a flash of her eating an owl - she's probably actually eating an owl.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

It's been brought up ITT that Williams, to a lot of people my age, has 'powerful Dad energy' in how wholesome some of his roles were around this time. This one especially so for me; he has the same name as my Dad and a lot of his antics, especially the music video, very strongly remind me of him - he also played a fiddle, and was in a couple of 80s music videos that were just... like that. Leslie was also my Dad's name.

My dad stand in was Chief Brody in Jaws. My dad had the same frame, same tanned skin tone, same glasses, worked in the coast guard and one of my first memories is watching Jaws with him.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pneub posted:

poo poo, sold out. Gonna have to keep an eye out for another one.

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/184506614474

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

it's like a KoRn fan's platonic ideal of a horror movie.

I've been wanting to see it again for a while but now I yearn

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Zabriskie point.

I mostly bought it because Pink Floyd did a bunch of songs (but not all) on the soundtrack. I watched it once or twice and wasn't *that* thrilled with it, but it's grown on me. It's this 1970s foreign (I think) art film type poo poo. So it's pretty weird that, but uhhhh I guess I like it.

Also La Vallee. Another foreign 70s art film that Pink Floyd did the soundtrack too (their album Obscured By Clouds) another one I like but is probably not particularly popular.

Still have yet to see the movie More. PF did the soundtrack to that one too. Gotta find it on Amazon or some poo poo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I can't stand The Wall, but The Wall: The Motion Picture is still kinda interesting for some reason.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah , I like some of the movie versions of the songs better than the album versions from The Wall

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

wesleywillis posted:

Zabriskie point.

I've been interested in this since I saw a video talking about how Nolan loved that movie and used the ending as inspiration for the scene in Inception where everything is exploding around Dicaprio and Page. I've read that its really slow though

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mister Speaker posted:

Rewatched Thir13en Ghosts last night. It was pretty nostalgic but yeesh, it is absolutely a BAD movie. Capitalizing on the pseudo-scifi-horror of movies like Virus or Event Horizon was inevitable, and some of the deaths are straight gnarly (I forgot about the ghost hunter woman getting crushed in between two walls) but it's chock full of the worst ADR I've ever heard, Matthew 'loving' Lillard is god-awful in it (you can sort of tell his lines were hammed up in direction and probably against his will) and the whole aesthetic reeks of the kind of edgy dark angst that like, it's hard to explain... it's like a KoRn fan's platonic ideal of a horror movie.
Agreed, I love that movie. lol at the Korn fan description. And honestly, the death you put in spoilers stuck with me for years, way longer than the slicing scene. poo poo was indeed gnarly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Zabriskie point.

I mostly bought it because Pink Floyd did a bunch of songs (but not all) on the soundtrack. I watched it once or twice and wasn't *that* thrilled with it, but it's grown on me. It's this 1970s foreign (I think) art film type poo poo. So it's pretty weird that, but uhhhh I guess I like it.

Also La Vallee. Another foreign 70s art film that Pink Floyd did the soundtrack too (their album Obscured By Clouds) another one I like but is probably not particularly popular.

Still have yet to see the movie More. PF did the soundtrack to that one too. Gotta find it on Amazon or some poo poo.

Zabriskie Point is an interesting failure, it's Michelangelo Antonioni's attempt at more fully breaking into the American market after the success of Blow-Up. The problem is that while in Blow-Up, he's asking questions about the nature of image and reality in a movie that gets in, gets out, spends its two hours wisely letting you ponder those questions, in Zabriskie, any theme he might be trying to put across is completely bogged down by dodgy gestures at "radical" hippie politics and completely hollow acting from the movie's amateur leads. A better bet is to just watch the music video for "Today" by the Smashing Pumpkins, which is a four-minute condensation of the broad strokes of Antonioni's two-hour mess. ZP does have some fantastic cinematography, however. Looks fantastic, bored me to tears.

I could have sworn More made it into the Criterion Collection, but it apparently did not - it's on their streaming service, however. Also if you have eight billion dollars at your disposal (or feel like pirating it), there's a full copy on disc in the complete box set of Floyd's "Early Years" compilations. I will refrain from complaining at length about how I didn't think that box set could gently caress up Live at Pompeii even worse than the 90s "director's cut" but holy poo poo they did.

One of the most fascinating failures I've seen (and I believe I've got a DVD copy of kicking around here somewhere) is a late-seventies zero-budget rush job attempting to cash in on the custom van and CB radio crazes of the day: Supervan.

For a movie where the plot barely matters, it ends up having three or four plots all happening at once*, but that's hardly what makes it interesting - what does is that a large portion of the movie's b-roll is cinema verite, the whole thing shot on location at an actual midwest (Missouri, I think) van convention. You are actually watching a PG-rated slice of the drunken, stoned bacchanalia of pre-AIDS van people who built vans to gently caress in. The literal actual Charles Bukowski somehow shows up at a wet-t-shirt contest. The Supervan itself was a George Barris custom job that was almost like a parade float enclosed in glass. Like a popemobile with room to sleep six. More than that if they're loving.

* lovable loser tries to win van contest but his van is destroyed when rescuing a woman from sexual assault by some bikers, replaces van with futuristic "solar-powered" (not actually solar-powered the van was ICE but apparently the accessories could be run off a solar panel on the roof, learn something new every day) prototype built by techy nerd best friend, who embezzled funds from his internal-combustion-engine-manufacturing bosses to do so, see also obligatory over-masculine sports-movie rival van guy, incompetent cops (one played by the guy who played Uncle Leo on Seinfeld) and dopey prison escape car chase to get back to the van convention in order to win the contest and prove to his dad that this van nonsense is important and also win the girl probably

oh hey, there it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orvPPE6jkq4

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

You are actually watching a PG-rated slice of the drunken, stoned bacchanalia of pre-AIDS van people who built vans to gently caress in. The literal actual Charles Bukowski somehow shows up at a wet-t-shirt contest. The Supervan itself was a George Barris custom job that was almost like a parade float enclosed in glass. Like a popemobile with room to sleep six. More than that if they're loving.

Also please note the Supervan Love Theme, where the chorus is built around "I'll always remember you as a milestone in my life" -- even the movie's love theme can't pretend Van Guy and his girlfriend are going to last, but after Girlfriend returns to normie life, she'll always remember that summer she hosed a van guy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pneub posted:

I can't stand The Wall, but The Wall: The Motion Picture is still kinda interesting for some reason.

That movie hosed me up. The scene where Pink is peeling his face off in the limousine stuck with me.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

That movie hosed me up. The scene where Pink is peeling his face off in the limousine stuck with me.

Quite a lot of body horror in that little musical. The shaving of eyebrows, bleeding nipples, those awful hole facemask things, cartoon plant rough sex etc etc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pneub posted:

I really like when the tigers broke free. I think it might be my favorite floyd song

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Love Pink Floyd because I was raised by boomers. The Wall (movie) is solid but like five min too long, the album is two-three songs too many. It’s a *lot*, and I think that Another Brick in the Wall is sure, catchy and popular, but In The Flesh is so much cooler.

Wish You Were Here and some bits of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and More are far better.

Antivehicular posted:

Also please note the Supervan Love Theme, where the chorus is built around "I'll always remember you as a milestone in my life" -- even the movie's love theme can't pretend Van Guy and his girlfriend are going to last, but after Girlfriend returns to normie life, she'll always remember that summer she hosed a van guy
Sold

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I've never really been into Pink Floyd but the song Dogs is really cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chrpno posted:

Quite a lot of body horror in that little musical. The shaving of eyebrows, bleeding nipples, those awful hole facemask things, cartoon plant rough sex etc etc

I've seen a lot of disturbing poo poo in movies over the years but I will never watch Bob Geldof shaving his nipples off again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I've seen a lot of disturbing poo poo in movies over the years but I will never watch Bob Geldof shaving his nipples off again.

Oh, you really want to skip the next Disney star wars movie. They're going all in on Bob Geldof nipple shaving. Apparently they started filming without a complete script and just threw a whole bunch of Bob Geldof nipple shaving scenes in it, as they had no idea how else to get the film to 90 minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Way ahead of you on that one. :cheers:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chrpno posted:

As a kid I saw a clip of those hole-mask kids marching into the meat grinder on loving Sneak Previews with Siskel and Ebert and it hosed me up for WEEKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I watched The Wall a few times in college; the final time I also drank about half a bottle of akvavit while I watched, and I haven't had any inclination to watch it since. I have eventually regained an appreciate for akvavit.

Anyway I finally watched Barbarella a couple weeks back. Even if I hadn't gone in knowing it was directed by a Frenchman based on a French comic book, I think I'd have said "goddamn this is a French-rear end movie". It's not a good movie but it reached levels of enjoyably silly. A more conventional film might have put the main villains on-screen before the last 10 minutes, but a more conventional film wouldn't have had a bumbling freedom fighter named Dildano.