Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Y'all act like you never seen an angry chef before

I'm surprised Nina didn't win, guess she shouldn't have made that zeppole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP
Well I think this is my official last season, it had been a good run

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm not sure I've ever been madder about a final result before.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The best chef won. Glad for Nick :)

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Was it just me or were Tom and Hugh wearing the same outfit?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'll watch Top Chef Canada but I don't think I can deal with Tom anymore.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I'm ok with that result. They really seemed to disagree at judges table though.

I also like how Nick went with J. They threw him in cause he was early out and he's supposed to be a drag, but Nick was confident in Jay's abilities and that won him the season I feel like. If Tom hadn't been so impressed with that dish, which Jay was responsible for, no way Tom would have argued as hard for Nick otherwise.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Eh, he won by the rules of the show. Nina was consistently the better chef throughout. Desert was the killer blow for yet another finalist, you'd think they would learn by now.

Yiggy posted:

I also like how Nick went with J. They threw him in cause he was early out and he's supposed to be a drag, but Nick was confident in Jay's abilities and that won him the season I feel like. If Tom hadn't been so impressed with that dish, which Jay was responsible for, no way Tom would have argued as hard for Nick otherwise.

Also this.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 6, 2014

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
Well, I was rooting for Shirley all season so I didn't really have any preference with Nick or Nina. This was sort of a blah finale for me, but ehhh, I'm glad for Nick. After the smear campaign the editors ran on him this season, the dude probably deserved something good coming his way. You'd think he's some sort of demon spawn from the way the show made him out to be. He just reminds me of that guy you know who's got a lot going on, and stresses about it a little too much. Dude was the only casualty when the restaurant he worked at got bought out, since he was the head chef and the owners wanted their own guy. I bet that stings like hell, and he was on a mission to prove something because of that. Also he missed his wife and kids, and he's trying to win a competition to help himself out, but keeps getting his pots moved around and thrown under the bus for all kinds of crap haha. I'd be stressed too. Also, you bet your rear end I'd be letting those servers have it if they were about to blow my shot at $125,000. :argh: I'm not saying Nick's a saint or anything, and maybe he's an rear end in a top hat some times, but there are so many drat chefs out there that act the same way that it's really not a big deal.

Anyway, enough about Nick, and more about Nick's food. To me, it at least looked great all season. The man can plate a beautiful dish. And on paper, his food all sounds good too. Sure he had the seasoning problem, and that chocolate game hen with corn strings (I would eat that :shrug:), but on more than one occasion I remember the judges saying that a few grains of salt and whatever particular dish that was would have been great. So it wasn't that it was bad food, just... not as good as it could have been? Either way, it was enough to get him to and through the finale.

I don't have much to say about Nina, since was consistently good right from the get go. She was generally awesome all season long, and overall she deserved the title of Top Chef much more than Nick, but that's not how the competition works. They're all one-off challenges, and it just wasn't her night. Well, whatever. It wasn't a great season of Top Chef either way. And it's not like it's the first time this has happened. Blais lost, Brian Voltaggio lost, that Hosea dude won, etc etc. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Oh and they gave Louis like zero air time on the finale. I know he was in that kitchen, but they focused all their energy on Nick's BFF instead. Louis was awesome. :(

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Did they get rid of the Top Chef reunion show? The last two seasons (at least) I think they announced fan favorite on that Watch What Happens show.

Tom called in and kind of threw Nick under the bus, saying he wished they could award Nina the win because she was the more consistent chef throughout the season. There were certainly other seasons where a more consistent chef lost in the finale.

Tom also said he wanted to clarify that they never *asked* Nick to resign, just that they asked him (Nick) if he thought he *should* resign. There have been other episodes where chefs that had immunity made the weakest dishes, but I don't remember them doing the same thing to the other chefs, certainly not to the degree they did to Nick.

And in the Carlos versus Nick stuff, I think Carlos was the rear end in a top hat there. Carlos told the judges that Nick stole his oven, asked to borrow Nick's knife when they were already on less than great terms and then proceeded to not take care of it, and moved Nick's pots which were already there(trying to steal his place on the stove, if you want to look at it like that).

I kind of missed the part where Nick first met his service staff and he got pissed about something, but later when he got pissed at them again and was yelling in the kitchen it seemed like the service staff were loving up quite a bit. When you're in his position and they're pissing away your shot at winning, I can understand why he'd be pissed.

Edit: I just saw that part with the staff on a replay. It looked like two servers just didn't show up on time or wandered off or something?

Scott808 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Scott808 posted:

Edit: I just saw that part with the staff on a replay. It looked like two servers just didn't show up on time or wandered off or something?

Service industry, I'm sure they were on a smoke break. But yeah, I can kind of empathize with Nick there. He had poo poo to do back in the kitchen, needed to explain something quick, and didn't have his head server and another staff member present. His brash, commanding attitude seems to be completely on par with every person I've seen running a kitchen or known to be vaguely involved with running a kitchen brigade.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

You can't edit a season to always show one guy being a douchebag and expect people to enjoy the "closest finale ever" where he wins. Isn't it reality tv 101 to at least give him a redemption arc if he is going to win against the clear frontrunner? After the bullshit with Kristen last season I don't think my high expectations for reality game shows are being met. Go watch Cutthroat kitchen instead, at least there the stupid challenges they make them do are funny.

I hope all Nick's restaurants have salt shakers at the tables.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

one sexy loser posted:

You can't edit a season to always show one guy being a douchebag and expect people to enjoy the "closest finale ever" where he wins. Isn't it reality tv 101 to at least give him a redemption arc if he is going to win against the clear frontrunner? After the bullshit with Kristen last season I don't think my high expectations for reality game shows are being met. Go watch Cutthroat kitchen instead, at least there the stupid challenges they make them do are funny.

I hope all Nick's restaurants have salt shakers at the tables.

I was thinking about the way they edited Nick (I don't know how long the time span from filming and editing to airing is though), but maybe it's possible they made him look like a scrub on purpose, so that way when he won, it would make for more drama to get people talking. Like when that dumb little vote meter popped up at the end of the episode, basically no one thought Nick had a chance. I can just see the editors going "Yes! The fools! We got them! They'll never see this one coming!"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
In terms of editing, they were probably already airing episodes as the finale was filmed, since that comes much later. Can't go back and change the editing arc for somebody after you've already started it. That's probably why the last few episodes looked like a "redemption" piece - possibly they had the chance to re-edit some segments in the last few once they actually knew who won.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nina was a great cook, but i am still happy that Nick won, all the things about him being a dick mostly seems to be cases, where other chefs were equally to blame.

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja
Honestly, I don't really care who won. Nina was a better chef throughout the season but what matters is the last meal and it seemed Nick's was better. Tom posted on twitter the final vote and it was 11 - 9 for Nick with Nick taking all 5 votes for the desert and Nina taking all 5 votes for the first course. Ultimately, it came down to the swordfish and she failed miserably there.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

And Nicholas has cursed out his waitstaff already. Everybody, drink.

Do you think that's something that happens more often than we know on Top Chef and they showed it now just to stir the pot?

I'd think they'd show it more because it's good drama if a chef blows up like that during a big service and man, honestly, it just makes him look even worse.

It sucks that she lost because of the swordfish but Nick's sad little outburst aside, he probably won it fair and square that night.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm so happy Nick won, just because I knew the whiners would come out in force to discredit him over pure bullshit that has nothing to do with the dishes he put out. It was clear as soon as they got to Hawaii that Nick was the better chef. I also liked the fact that Jay was working with him, because from what I understand he's an amazing chef and shouldn't have been kicked out so early (based on talent, not based on the rules of the show. His elimination was fine in that regard).

Tom and Gail clearly preferred Nick, while Emeril and Padma were pushing hard for Nina. Since I respect Tom and Gail's opinion more than a glorified tv cook and a model, I'm confident that Nick had the better service.

To be perfectly honest though, I wasn't that impressed with the dishes they served. They looked good, but didn't wow me. If I had to choose where I would eat based on what they served, I would have picked Nick's restaurant over Nina's, and I'm from Italy so you'd think I'd veer towards the Italian influenced meal more....

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I think dismissing Emeril as a 'glorified tv cook' might be stretching things a bit.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Because being able to properly season a dish is "pure bullshit."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm disappointed, but I'm a hell of a lot happier than I would've been with, say, Sara somehow beating Paul in season 9.

In all honesty though, Nina seemed screwed as soon as she got that phone call in the car. I wonder what she could have done with what she'd bought, if a last-minute savory course would even have been possible.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012
I am in the absolute worst need of a gif of Padma's eye roll during the scallop noodle discussion. I don't know if I've ever seen a more hateful look on this show.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Beforehand posted:

I am in the absolute worst need of a gif of Padma's eye roll during the scallop noodle discussion. I don't know if I've ever seen a more hateful look on this show.

Stephanie in the background when the winner was announced may give that look a run.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I was ok with the final. I wanted Nina and team Gossip Girls to win, but oh well.

Decent season. I've seen worse seasons and I've seen better. I'm gonna watch the new TC thing coming out this summer and I'm going to watch next season of regular TC.

I also just bought a "Future Top Chef" onesie and bib for my cousin's new baby.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Debbie Metallica posted:

Do you think that's something that happens more often than we know on Top Chef and they showed it now just to stir the pot?

I'd think they'd show it more because it's good drama if a chef blows up like that during a big service and man, honestly, it just makes him look even worse.

It sucks that she lost because of the swordfish but Nick's sad little outburst aside, he probably won it fair and square that night.

Dale Talde copped to going to anger management therapy between Miami and AllStars so probably.

That Nicholas thing about being the only person fired from that restaurant is a chicken/egg thing. It made him a dick, or it happened because he's a dick.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

Dale Talde copped to going to anger management therapy between Miami and AllStars so probably.

That Nicholas thing about being the only person fired from that restaurant is a chicken/egg thing. It made him a dick, or it happened because he's a dick.

I forgot about Dale Talde.

Anyway, Nick's going to be remembered for his behavior and not for his abilities in this season so he's got THAT goin' for him.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Debbie Metallica posted:

Pretty sure I remember Sang on TC Masters blowing up at the service staff during Restaurant Wars, and this season wasn't Justin yelling at everyone (including his fellow contestants) during Restaurant Wars too?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Hahah my selective memory wants to vilify Nick :twisted:

Yup, Justin made an rear end of himself during Restaurant Wars. Maybe I was just more struck by Nick's freakout cuz it was during an otherwise quiet service, seemingly.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
At first the announced winner was a bit of an unpleasant surprise, but after reflecting on it a bit, I'm alright with the choice. Nina definitely did better all season long, and seemed to have more remarkable dishes. Based on visual judgment and what they showed Tom and friends discussing though, Nick looked like the better cook for the evening's challenge. He was certain a bit of a commanding rear end in a top hat at times, but he was never too off-base with the situation -- not like some earlier contestants (like Justin).

It was also nice to see the pretty boy a bit more in the finale, I had forgotten that they worked together in the past. He was actually pretty fun to watch in the episodes prior to his knife-packing.

If I had the option of visiting one of their restaurants though, Nina would be my immediate first choice. Good season in my opinion, and I'll stick around for another year of secondary shows and Canadian editions!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Eh, I don't know what people are surprised about. They clearly said during judging when asked what the worst dish of the night was the two candidates were Nina's over salted swordfish and Nina's uninspired dessert. Emeril, who had the undercooked duck didn't offer that dish up as one of the worst his choice was the swordfish.

If you're asked to make 4 dishes and two of them contend for overall worst of the evening you really shouldn't win.

Padma's eye roll at Tom dismissing her comment about not enough scallop flavor in the noodles made from pureed scallops was pretty classic though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I can and am able to appreciate that it was a fair result, without being happy about it because of the winner being a prick. Like Lebron winning a championship.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
With Shirley and Louis out, I wasn't all that jazzed up for the finale, so when Nick won, I mostly took it with a shrug.

Anyway, I know this is Top Chef, and you have to roll with the punches or whatever, but couldn't they just have lent her a goddamn ice cream machine? It seems so ridiculous that they can only see the kitchens after they buy their ingredients.

In the end, who won doesn't really matter, because neither contestant produced a dish that made me go "ooh!" like they have in the past. Maybe I'm just getting jaded to TV cooking.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

darkgray posted:

Anyway, I know this is Top Chef, and you have to roll with the punches or whatever, but couldn't they just have lent her a goddamn ice cream machine? It seems so ridiculous that they can only see the kitchens after they buy their ingredients.

My thoughts exactly. If the challenge is "cook whatever you want!" then they should provide whatever they need to make that happen. Nina got hosed on her dessert for no good reason.

On the other hand, it might have been a mistake for her to presume that the kitchen would contain an ice cream machine. I've never been in a restaurant kitchen, but that doesn't sound like standard equipment.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
The semi final was definitely the more interesting episode of the last two. I'm torn on it, but I think a 3-way finale is better than a 2-way, there is just simply more moving parts that can go wrong that make it better. It was interesting this year that Nick got to pick all 3 of his sous chefs first, instead of just getting first pick, although the teams would have ended up exactly the same anyways. Also strange that Nina picked Stephanie (I think?) over the other blonde who had been curb stomping LCK before Louis.

As DarkLich said though, I'd much rather eat at Nina's place (or Shirley, or Louis, or even Carlos) any day of the week than Nick's, his style of food is pretty much the complete opposite of what I like to eat so not that surprising that most people are going to be a bit bitter over Nick winning, but I can understand why the judges did what they did. I was surprised and have a little more respect for Tom and Gail, I was pretty sure Nina was going to win easily as she is far more marketable with a backstory that just screams "I WILL BUY ANYTHING FROM YOU!", but I guess this isn't Masterchef!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

darkgray posted:

Originally I thought this too, but then I realized that an ice cream machine is just a cold bowl that stirs for you. She could have improvised easily. Put her mix in one bowl, put that in a bigger bowl full of ice and stick it under a mixer. Done.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Ghostnuke posted:

Originally I thought this too, but then I realized that an ice cream machine is just a cold bowl that stirs for you. She could have improvised easily. Put her mix in one bowl, put that in a bigger bowl full of ice and stick it under a mixer. Done.

This is fine if you're making ice cream for home economics class in middle school.

When you're in the finale of a TV show, competing for $125,000, there's too many risks inherent to making an improvised ice cream machine. Among other things, you can't be assured that it'll cool evenly - if the bowl is too cold, it'll freeze to the sides, and if the bowl isn't cold enough it won't ever reach the desired consistency. It's much safer to come up with an alternative that uses what you have available.

e: also I should mention that making good ice cream without a machine is genuinely pretty complicated

amaranthine fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2014

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm sure you're right, but the ice cream I make with my kitchenaid mixer is pretty tasty. :shrug:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

FitFortDanga posted:

My thoughts exactly. If the challenge is "cook whatever you want!" then they should provide whatever they need to make that happen. Nina got hosed on her dessert for no good reason.

On the other hand, it might have been a mistake for her to presume that the kitchen would contain an ice cream machine. I've never been in a restaurant kitchen, but that doesn't sound like standard equipment.
Its standard for any decent restaurant kitchen. Having said that, once she learned there wasn't an ice cream machine that's when she should change the dish around to still dazzle the other chefs.

Finally got around to watching the finale and Nina still should have won by what was presented. She acted like a Top Chef. Cry baby boy did not. I do believe they should be able to use the entire season as a barometer for who wins, so if its truly that close Nina should have won based on the entire season.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I would disagree. If the show is about the food, which the judges always want to insist it is, then I couldn't care less how any contestant acts. Marco Pierre White is a world class douche bag but his chief product, which is food in a fine dining setting, was always unimpeachable. Changing this into a personality competition, something even more subjective than something like food cookery, would skew the show more in the Reality TV direction and less in the Cooking Competition direction, a fast way to take us back to the dark days of Season 1 and 2. Also, judging based off of performance in past challenges sort of invalidates the point of having a final challenge, where consequences actually matter. In that talk show after the finale Tom called in and defended their decision saying they stick to the principle of judging the food they got that night, and frankly I feel like that fig leaf of integrity is one of the only things that keeps this show worth coming back to.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Yiggy posted:

Also, judging based off of performance in past challenges sort of invalidates the point of having a final challenge, where consequences actually matter. In that talk show after the finale Tom called in and defended their decision saying they stick to the principle of judging the food they got that night, and frankly I feel like that fig leaf of integrity is one of the only things that keeps this show worth coming back to.

Agree with your whole post, but especially this. In addition to the final challenge problem, judging past dishes throughout the competition would also likely result in everyone making incredibly safe, boring dishes, way more so than people already do. If you take a risk and it doesn't turn out great, but isn't a disaster, you move on. If you know that bad, but not elimination-worthy, dish could come back and bite you down the line, you probably wouldn't do it in the first place.

• Locked thread