Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

Let me guess... getting a character killed?

Bingo. As they alluded to in the video, the better half of a pair will only leave if the person you're booting is able to talk to you to trip the flag. Awfully hard for a corpse to strike up a conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I mean, assuming there is parity to real-world conventions, they ARE released from any and all vows!

(On a more practical note, if you wanted to keep Khalid and Jahiera, and one of them stormed off the instant the other one died, that would be... annoying)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

But then he might die! What sort of monsters do you think we are?

I always stored all my unwanted npcs in a room in Beregost, just in case I needed them again.

JiiHoo posted:

The video has a double showing of the start of the Bodra fight. Starting at 33:50 and 35:50 you get the same few minutes.

Anyway glad to see you guys back in action.

It was a fight so good they had to show it twice!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
You mentioned that it would take more than two playthroughs to get tired of this game, and I certainly have to agree. I love this game so much. I've played it so many times and I still always find new stuff. I'm glad they made Edwin and Minsc such good characters in the mechanical sense, because they're also lots of fun as actual characters, although more of that comes out in the sequel where the NPC characterization is more robust.

Also, not that anyone cares, but since you were talking about how old Bactorc is - I think the PC is twenty years old at the beginning of the game, according to the character description the game gives you, or maybe it's in a journal entry or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tax Refund posted:

Rocks fall.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Sorry Dynaheir but it's SOP to have all new spellcasters take on Drizzt unarmed and unarmoured.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

chiefnewo posted:

Sorry Dynaheir but it's SOP to have all new spellcasters take on Drizzt unarmed and unarmoured.

There exists a man whose entire purpose is to hopelessly flee from Drizzt in an attempt to get him stuck on the lake and allow your party to plink away at him with arrows because the AI is terrible, and you're trying to take that one job away from Garrick? What kind of heartless monster are you?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Yes, but killing one of them yourself. Because you're responsible for the party, you see.

I always have a fun time having Jaheira kill Khalid. Also, Minsc once gibbed Dynaheir; he was so effective I didn't even need to kick the corpse out of the party, saving me precious mouse clicks better spent on xvarts and the like. :downs:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cigaw posted:

I always have a fun time having Jaheira kill Khalid.

That's because you're a monster, unlike Bacter and Mzbundifund who simply helped Khalid achieve his unspoken dream of living the rural peasant's life.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kai Tave posted:

That's because you're a monster, unlike Bacter and Mzbundifund who simply helped Khalid achieve his unspoken dream of living the rural peasant's life.

He got a dagger.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ikanreed posted:

He got a dagger.

It's the only farming implement he will ever need.

It's really good to see this LP back up and running. Honesty, I was worried it would lose something with not being a blind LP. It's still just as entertaining as ever though. Thanks for all the hard work.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ikanreed posted:

He got a dagger.

And he will beat it into the tiniest ploughshare.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Did you see the mountain-size furrows? Khalid won't have to worry about ploughing ever. He just has to sell the dagger for some turnip and potato seeds and he's on his way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Wittgen posted:

It's the only farming implement he will ever need.

It's really good to see this LP back up and running. Honesty, I was worried it would lose something with not being a blind LP. It's still just as entertaining as ever though. Thanks for all the hard work.

I'm here to tell you guys, it is way better this way. Let me explain:

What we've got now is that I have an overarching idea of who I am and what's going on, but I've (trust me) forgotten all the details. So it'll still essentially be a blind run, where I'm re-discovering things (though I'll typically remember how a quest ENDS, I may not remember what the dialogue's like, or how to talk to who, etc.).

What I was before was just adrift. I could laugh at some of the game-breaking stuff, but Mzbundifund didn't show me that during our run anyway, so it's still fresh for me.

One of you wanted to know what I'd be thinking, and was worried you'd lose that now that it's not a blind run: what I was thinking during the blind run would just always be "wait WHO? wait WHAT?" and believe me, we're better off without it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The real fun in this LP is the banter between Bacter and Mzbundifund, so losing the blindness isn't a big deal. It worked for Amulets & Armor, but that was a game with much, much less exposition and just way less going on in general. Honestly this most recent video was probably the best so far.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Agreed, the banter is what makes the LP fun. I enjoyed this latest episode just as much as the old.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Hey, my first playthrough of BG was with Jaheira and Khalid. Which basically means finishing the game with a 5-man party since Khalid was so godawful and died/ran away all the time. I earned my right to deny his retirement benefits.

Also, love the LP banter. Keep up the good work, guys!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the Xvartocide map. It's a great reminder of how thin "we're the good guys, honest!" line in RPGs is. Especially when you treat it like just about anyone with a mage and exterminate the fuckers in their sleep.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I've always played with both Jaheira / Khalid, Minsc / Dynaheir and Imoen because I played BG2 first and they were obviously the canon party. Plus I hate the good cleric's voice actor and nobody else really stands out. My only concern is that I'll miss some good character quests but whatever.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You are missing out, dude.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

I love the Xvartocide map. It's a great reminder of how thin "we're the good guys, honest!" line in RPGs is. Especially when you treat it like just about anyone with a mage and exterminate the fuckers in their sleep.

Look, if they didn't want to be ensorceled and murdered they wouldn't have been born all funny looking or own anything of value.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kai Tave posted:

Look, if they didn't want to be ensorceled and murdered they wouldn't have been born all funny looking or own anything of value.

Your life is worth 6 xp, so don't own that either.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I think the Xvarts worst transgression is being born with a red targeting circle instead of a blue. Also they did come screaming out when their camp was approached, though I guess that could of been a friendly hello in their language.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nah see they are always chaotic evil so it's okay to kill them, that is how ethics works, everyone knows this.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Just adding a voice to the choir: the last video was not less for it no longer being blind, because: just banter while going through an excellent game, you two.

That is all.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I hope I'm not the only one back to checking this thread every time I log on :(

And out of curiousity: did Khalid die in that last episode? I'm assuming the pissed off residents did him in, unless it really is that easy for inseparable party members to just forget about them.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

fennesz posted:

I hope I'm not the only one back to checking this thread every time I log on :(

And out of curiousity: did Khalid die in that last episode? I'm assuming the pissed off residents did him in, unless it really is that easy for inseparable party members to just forget about them.

As I recall, the person being kicked needs to be the one initiating the conversation for it to matter to their inseparable other. As such, things like being dead or not being in the same map as anybody else means that they can't initiate the conversation ever, provided it's a place you're willing to never go back to again in the latter case.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I had meant to say in the last episode update, but forgot because I am forgetful, but big thanks to forums user shalafi4 for helping us resolve our technical issues and get this thread back updating again. We'll name a summoned meatshield critter after you. You deserve it!

In today's episode, we cull the wilderness a bit, and resolve a dispute amongst the party employees.

This episode contains a good example of how with good tactics and careful deployment of party members, you can turn a very dangerous fight around with no losses. We encounter two ogre berserkers backed up by three elite hobgoblin archers equipped with poisoned arrows, and manage to come out with only minor hp losses, no small feat for a level 2 party with almost no enchanted gear at all. This is a very momentum-heavy game, and frequently when you begin to lose a fight you will continue to lose it, but it's not always the case!

I've been cutting a few mundane wilderness encounters, and will continue to do so. Just assume that we have been fighting a good two to three times as many random wildlife as you see here.

Also I am pleased to announce that since preserving Bacter's ignorance is no longer an issue, this thread is now :siren:SPOILERS ALLOWED:siren:. Please don't spoil the second game in any way, but feel free to discuss any part of Baldur's Gate 1, including the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion areas.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think you forgot to make the video public.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Geez, you're fast. Was editing the OP before I got to that. It should be up now. thank you

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Mzbundifund posted:

I had meant to say in the last episode update, but forgot because I am forgetful, but big thanks to forums user shalafi4 for helping us resolve our technical issues and get this thread back updating again. We'll name a summoned meatshield critter after you. You deserve it!

Glad I could help!!! :D

If I don't die some horrible gruesome proper cannon fodder ,valuable addition to the party, death I'll be disappointed :colbert:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I'm kind of bummed Edwin didn't do the dumb thing and try to kill Dynaheir anyway. I've always ignored him or killed him when I played BG1, so this part is new to me. Hopefully he'll try to make good on his threat, I want to see what kind of ambush he can muster.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Those dexterity gauntlets are such a great item. I always beelined for this area every time I played just to get them.

Mzbundifund posted:

Also I am pleased to announce that since preserving Bacter's ignorance is no longer an issue, this thread is now :siren:SPOILERS ALLOWED:siren:. Please don't spoil the second game in any way, but feel free to discuss any part of Baldur's Gate 1, including the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion areas.

Does this mean you'll do Durlag's Tower eventually? Because that would be pretty great.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yes. OH yes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I just did Durlag's tower not too long ago and boy are some of the fights tough, especially if you don't cheese. I was level 7 across the board and the one with the four guardians around the gate in particular required about 6 tries before I got it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still have nightmares about that loving chessboard.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

anilEhilated posted:

Why? I mean, if you never move from your starting position... (I'm more of a snooker than a chess person.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

anilEhilated posted:

I seem to recall beating that with a few fully charged wands of fireballs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

meristem posted:

Why? I mean, if you never move from your starting position... (I'm more of a snooker than a chess person.)
You still get murdered trying to cross the thing. Same with the wands. I guess I'm just not a very patient person, but the constant lightning out of nowhere is one of my strongest memories of BG1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Bacter posted:

Oh yes. OH yes.

Sweeeeet.

By the way, you really should have saved that Biblical reference until one of your characters could summon bears.

• Locked thread