Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Adult Children of Alcoholics

Been what I needed over AA, doesn’t get the same press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Been struggling pretty hard this week but im just gonna keep not drinking and itll pass

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm failing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

What happened with the outpatient rehab?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You climb a god drat mountain by yourself in this godless all-hating failure of a species and you will trip on the Sisphyean way up but you will NOT fall. Begin again. Don’t let the demon win or convince you you’re not worth the win.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

It's temporary. No one said it was going to be easy. Just start again, now you are that much wiser and more knowledgeable about the process. You CAN do this, it is humanly possible.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Been struggling pretty hard this week but im just gonna keep not drinking and itll pass

Words of great wisdom.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Isaac posted:

Yup, that's the way it goes.

What's going on? Whatever it is, you can turn it around. Are you still in outpatient and how's that going?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

I finished rehab today

good for you dude! hope you stay clean.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
my drinkings getting out of hand

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nonviolent J posted:

my drinkings getting out of hand

you should probably attend some AA meetings if you think that.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

You might try going to a NA meeting. It's not just for junkies and crack smokers. Hell one of the guys I know from the program, who has been a big help to me, came into the rooms cause of a alcohol/marijuana habit.

Which is the one for just crack smokers?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I stopped going to the intensive outpatient. I got the bill for the inpatient and didn't want to pay so much for the outpatient. At least that's my excuse.

I don't know. It just all fell apart so quickly again. I'm not sure how. Drinking nightly the past few days. I have to put a stop to this soon.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm taking quitting drinking seriously, relapsed last night after 3 days and drank a box (as in a whole box) of wine... felt better than I usually do this morning though compared to my normal 5th of rum. Started on 50mg Naltraxone today, supposed to help with the cravings and holy crap....felt like i took like 4 vicodin about an hour after taking it, and now about 5 hours later I can barely keep my eyes open. Was too worried about driving to even goto the AA meeting tonight. I'm guessing that feeling goes away after a few days?

Also thanks for mentioning SMART recovery. going to check out a meeting on Wednesday, even though its like a 35 minute drive.

warcraft_boyfriend_99 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 12, 2017

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Naltrexone i was so tired when i was on naltrexone i was falling asleep driving. It could have just been a withdrawal symptom but i stopped taking it cause of that. Its very good for cravings though i found

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I take it daily. It doesn't affect me much. It used to make me nauseous at first but that generally went away at the beginning.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Isaac posted:

Naltrexone i was so tired when i was on naltrexone i was falling asleep driving. It could have just been a withdrawal symptom but i stopped taking it cause of that. Its very good for cravings though i found

i hear acamprosate works too

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I stopped going to the intensive outpatient. I got the bill for the inpatient and didn't want to pay so much for the outpatient. At least that's my excuse.

I don't know. It just all fell apart so quickly again. I'm not sure how. Drinking nightly the past few days. I have to put a stop to this soon.

Do you feel like you have the tools to be able to quit? If not then no amount of money is worth saving to not be equipped to handle stopping. And obviously yes money is essential to life but keep it up long enough and not only will there be no life left but the time spent kills by yourself drinking will not make it worth anything either. Alternatively there are people who get those tools from AA and I think that is the biggest plus of that program. It is basically free therapy with unqualified therapists (not that it is always a bad thing) with the added part of spirituality being heavily emphasized in most rooms. Thinking back to my time with the program and time in both inpatient and outpatient I think I learned an equal amount from both AA and outpatient but the tools from outpatient are the ones I use much more often since they really were meant to make you self sufficient and not needing to rely on going to a group regularly, for better or worse because of course having a group to rely on and people who care about you and watch out for you is a big plus too.

I don’t know the specifics but most hospitals and the like will accept payment plans where all you have to do is pay a small amount every month and not really worry about the full amount so long as you make that small monthly payment, particularly with proof of income. Worst case scenario, you don’t pay it and your credit takes a big hit but you won’t end up in jail or anything so I would argue that a chance to be successful with recovery is worth it. That is a decision that everyone has to make for themselves though. Good luck man - every time it falls apart after a recovery is usually worse than the last time, at least from my experience and a lot of other addicts/alcoholics I have talked to in the program and in treatment. I could have easily ended up dead the last few relapses I had before I finally got sober and it is scary to think about how close I was a few times. You can do it though, even if it is hard it is possible.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was only out of pocket about $2000 for detox and rehab and after doing it it was worth every cent. Like if it was $20,000 id still be glad i did it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Was feeling miseravle and thinking about booze the last few days. Then out of nowhere today a weight went off my shoulders and i relaxed and felt good out of nowhere.

Just saying that whatever you're feeling never actually does last forever despite how it feels.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
ive had 40.8 standard drinks this weekend after tonight, before i started beer 3 or so years ago id be lucky to finish a half a bottle on a a staurday and that was my drinking for the week

need to be serious this week and limit it cos it's getting bad

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Limiting iy is gonna be a difficult strategy because after drink 15 you arent really going to be making wise choices about number 16

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I just read Get Up by Bucky Sinister - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4458224-get-up and recommend it to anyone with a problem with the religious dogmas of AA and NA.

I've posted itt about my own experience with the program and how I've dealt with the higher power part of it. This book feels familiar to me in a way that I rarely experience outside of a meeting. I'd argue that it's a much better introduction to sceptical atheist newcomers than any of the official literature.

Bucky Sinister posted:

Just as others pray daily, you should think to yourself daily about what you can do to be closer to [your] Ideal Image. Think: "What can I do today to make my life better?" "What can I do to become more like my Ideal Image?

As for struggle in the early stages of recovery, it's loving hard. I hosed up a bunch of times before it finally stuck. But I honestly believe that those practice runs were an integral part of me getting my poo poo together. I kept at it, holding on for longer periods of time almost every time I tried. Next month I'll have seven years down. It ain't easy, but I do believe that it's within reach for anyone. Just keep loving trying and accept that you don't have to do it alone.

Also, I upgraded my account. Don't hesitate to PM me if any of you need to talk.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HatJudge posted:

I just read Get Up by Bucky Sinister - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4458224-get-up and recommend it to anyone with a problem with the religious dogmas of AA and NA.

I've posted itt about my own experience with the program and how I've dealt with the higher power part of it. This book feels familiar to me in a way that I rarely experience outside of a meeting. I'd argue that it's a much better introduction to sceptical atheist newcomers than any of the official literature.

As for struggle in the early stages of recovery, it's loving hard. I hosed up a bunch of times before it finally stuck. But I honestly believe that those practice runs were an integral part of me getting my poo poo together. I kept at it, holding on for longer periods of time almost every time I tried. Next month I'll have seven years down. It ain't easy, but I do believe that it's within reach for anyone. Just keep loving trying and accept that you don't have to do it alone.

Also, I upgraded my account. Don't hesitate to PM me if any of you need to talk.

That looks interesting - thanks for the link.

Regarding limiting, if you aren’t an alcoholic then it can be hard but not the same kind of hard as an alcoholic trying to reduce drink amounts. One of the characteristics is drinking to excess every time and not having any limit so it isn’t really like “oh I will just cut back” although we all have told ourselves that countless times I’m sure. And even if you do it back then our brains will usually still try to sabotage us like this - “hey we haven’t been drinking as much, that’s awesome! Guess we don’t have a problem like people said. So have that extra drink this weekend, you can drink a little more a couple of times now that you showed yourself that you can control yourself” and it either then ramps up slowly to problem drinking again or it is immediate and you get blackout drunk. Or you might be able to control your drinking forever and just drink moderately in which case you are most likely not an alcoholic. There aren’t too many qualifiers for being an alcoholic so it isn’t really a mystery if you answer those questions honestly but we get pretty good at lying to ourselves and convincing ourselves that we have it under control, don’t need help etc. And asking other people doesn’t help a lot either because since we can get so good at lying to and convincing ourselves then it is even more easy to do so to others and a lot of the time the people around us don’t know about our alcoholism or substance abuse. So limiting can be tricky but if you look at past behaviors and patterns (previous attempts at cutting back, drinking history and all that) honestly then you can pretty much tell of your next attempt to just drink less will be a good solution or not.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
my problem is I find a reason after work to get drinks, and the reasons are getting dumber

Plus not having it I miss being able to relax, need to get into camomile tea or something to look forward to each day

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

There's no shame in failing. We all spent a long time doing our thing and it ain't easy to let go of the old solution. Pick yourself back up and keep trying.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Ya know Pennywise it's been nearly a year since I last did a shot and I still think about just how much heroin my paycheck could buy me every single time I cash it. It's just not as powerful a thought as it once was, I don't have to act on it anymore. I try to just remember what it was like. What it was like to only care about getting high and nothing else and how miserable that was. Drinking will never fix you it can only break you more.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A lot of stuff added up together. Veteran's day is a usual tough time for me. And now seeing this DI going to jail for 10 years and deaths were involved and he was doing the same poo poo they did to me. It makes me angry and sad. I know I can't change it but that doesn't matter right this second.

I need a plan for tomorrow so that I won't drink. I already started again today. Packers are playing so that's a great excuse.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nonviolent J posted:

ive had 40.8 standard drinks this weekend after tonight, before i started beer 3 or so years ago id be lucky to finish a half a bottle on a a staurday and that was my drinking for the week

need to be serious this week and limit it cos it's getting bad

There are controlled drinking programmes out there, including online ones.

That said, I think it's important to make the distinction between "moderation" - ie, drinking within the safe limits guidelines - and harm reduction - where your aim is to drink less than you do now even if "less" is still above the safe limits.

A good question to ask yourself is what "limiting" would look like for you. Another good question to ask yourself is whether you're open to all strategies. Naltrexone and acamprosate are both available on PBS (and can be prescribed together) and most GPs seem happy to prescribe them.

If you can identify what need excessive drinking fills for you, you can begin to formulate a plan for meeting that need in less destructive ways. Is it just a bad habit for you or is it an emotional crutch?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
get Infinite Jest and try to parse out all the AA/half-way house narrative arcs

honestly the most unvarnished recounting of the endless struggle of the bottomless paradox of habituation

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
I just realized I've had 16 drinks tonight and I'm still coherent. Jesus loving Christ.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Same.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Thats almost a fifth of booze so that's up there for tolerance if its not stretched out over most of the day. Shoot.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.

Spinster posted:

Thats almost a fifth of booze so that's up there for tolerance if its not stretched out over most of the day. Shoot.

I started at 7pm eastern time. Just took another shot.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I've been sober 41 days. rough spikes come up but the urges pass. especially since I make use of the numbers given to me at NA

gunning for that 60 day keychain booya

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Caredresser posted:

I've been sober 41 days. rough spikes come up but the urges pass. especially since I make use of the numbers given to me at NA

gunning for that 60 day keychain booya

mine says Clean and Serene for 60 days

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
As a former veteran drug addict let me say gently caress aa. Or at least, it never worked for me. Mostly it just made me sad for humans and all the ways in which they are broken.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Play posted:

As a former veteran drug addict let me say gently caress aa. Or at least, it never worked for me. Mostly it just made me sad for humans and all the ways in which they are broken.

The latter is a better way to think of it. If it doesn’t work for you then so be it but saying gently caress it makes it sound like it shouldn’t exist and there is some good stuff to take away from them even if you don’t want to go in 100%. It also is just another way to not drink so if it works for some people then awesome. And it also largely depends on what group you go to. If there were one that I really clicked with and didn’t feel like I had to make a lot of philosophical co promises then I would still be going. And if it were the only thing that kept me from drinking then I would suck it up and just do it.

Regarding 16 drinks and being coherent, welcome to alcoholism. I was coherent even when blacked out and there was just a hair thin line as to when people knew I was drunk vs being visibly drunk which for me was when I started stumbling and passing out. Genetically some people are predisposed to not getting as drunk as others but mostly it just comes down to how much of an alcoholic you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.
Ok I want to stop drinking. Any advice on dealing with withdrawal, short of getting a benzo script? Is getting a couple tall boys from the gas station on my way home from work as opposed to my usual twelve pack a doable thing? In other words is just stopping cold turkey and dealing with the anxiety and a racing heart superior to weening myself off slowly?

• Locked thread