Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

there were some stand-out performances on that show under the same writers and directors tho so maybe the problem... is her

casting her as sarah conner was the most wildly ridiculous casting move since idk schwartzenegger as a struggling every man in that christmas movie with sinbad

lol if u thought for an instant she convincingly portrayed someone who would grow up into this:

i didn't watch the terminator show :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like people need to be a little more Kubrick and a little less budget watching don't want to upset the talent idk. If she doesn't put up a good performance in a scene that's also on the director for letting it go and not giving her direction and retaking until it's right.

Anyone remember when Bungie got Peter Dinklage hot off early GoT fame to be the buddy bot in Destiny and the performance was so awful they ended up redoing the entire role, post-release, with a fresh VA in an update.

Then again maybe we can still blame the direction because Destiny just sucked all around.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Anyone remember when Bungie got Peter Dinklage hot off early GoT fame to be the buddy bot in Destiny and the performance was so awful they ended up redoing the entire role, post-release, with a fresh VA in an update.
it's funny how dinklage is in a bunch of stuff now. because he isn't a great or even necessarily a good actor. he was just lucky enough to have caught lightning in a bottle. and i'm wondering how long of a wave he'll be able to ride.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
listen

i just think she's real cute ok sue me

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zane posted:

nah. the core of star wars is joseph campbell monomyth stuff. and the genre influence of serial action adventure movies and tv shows. if you don't have that then you just have a generic sci fi setting and franchise inertia.

Which is fine.

Not every movie needs to be the original movie in tone. You've got a generic universe to do all kinds of wacky space adventures in. Do we really always need the same thing? Every single time? Esp. with this much timeline to work with? Like you said the influence was generic serial action movies and TV shows...... that went on for years and did exactly what I'm talking about.

I mean it's not exactly like cinema is overflowing with successful sci-fi universes right now. Are you really going to be upset watching a kick rear end space-crime movie if it happens to be in the Star Wars universe?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Long story short Kathleen Kennedy is awful at this and should go back to producing. For whatever reason in all of Hollywood it seems like only Fiege has any loving idea what he's doing with this. Love, hate or not care about the Marvel movies there's no arguing they are wa, way better handled as a franchise.

It is perplexing that she still has a job. All I've ever heard about the movie business adds up to everyone being afraid to take any kind of risk for fear of having your name attached to so much as a single failure. Kathleen Kennedy made one movie for the price of two. She has to be blackmailing someone, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Moridin920 posted:

listen

if you had just said she pretty and look good stripped down for a scalding bath instead of trying to defend her acting boner-fides, i would have just high fived you and moved on with my life

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zane posted:

it's funny how dinklage is in a bunch of stuff now. because he isn't a great or even necessarily a good actor. he was just lucky enough to have caught lightning in a bottle. and i'm wondering how long of a wave he'll be able to ride.

I don't know, I kind of think he's the kind of actor that'd been an actor even if he was just a regular dude. I don't know why you think he's bad.

Chomp8645 posted:

Then again maybe we can still blame the direction because Destiny just sucked all around.

I've got to blame both the direction and the bullshit story of Destiny, and the fact you need an experienced voice actor for something like that.

I'm so glad I never got into Destiny

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

There's very few goons that'd argue that point, and if they did, they'd be wrong.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chomp8645 posted:

peter dinklage was great as the ghost and he played it as a cynical robot because the character is a cynical robot

they got nolan loving north to come in and redo the whole thing, as if i needed more nolan north in my loving life, and he played the role as "hey i'm nolan north, you might remember me from every video game released in the last five years, this time i'm a floating robot haha!"

also dinklage is a fine actor, i've never seen game of thrones but i really liked him in the station agent and elf

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

viral spiral posted:

Also Emilia Clarke is the female version Jai Courtney

I'm saying she's a lovely actress who cannot act

yeah not sure how she keeps getting work.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

peter dinklage would have been a better lead for solo: a star wars story than the guy they have

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Moridin920 posted:

listen

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure if you know this but she was in Game of Thrones.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still think the whole thing would have been better if like he said, it started with the heroes in charge, then the Empire shows back up and uses it's laser and now they're on the run. The structure of the movies starting with a resistance and poo poo is so insanely bullshit that the entire universe is built on a completely unstable foundation.

Honestly I'd killed for the series to have the Empire be the small underdogs until they get their superweapon going again in an inverse situation. I know some people don't think it'd played well but come on, IRL we're used to "big alliances getting hit by fringe assholes" enough I don't exactly think I'd been confused.

well they sort of did, TFA had a Republic that presumably had its own military and was running the show, while Leia's group was essentially portrayed as a hardliner faction continuing to duke it out with the First Order (which the movie was vague on the size/power of)

TFA hosed up showing us this rather than telling, but even if it was an unstable foundation it was something that could have been expanded upon in a second film by, say, having Leia's faction integrate (or conflict) with the Republic's military (which might be leaderless) that is now in open conflict with a rearmed space germany going HAM on the galaxy the Republic is supposed to be defending - since star wars is WW2 in space treat the planets getting blown up in the first film as pearl harbor or the first european blitzkreig attacks and then actually showing some loving star wars

TLJ took a big steaming poo poo on this though by just having the First Order become the Empire again offscreen while the Rebellion is reduced to a half-dozen ships (and inexplicably large bomber fleet) led by the most incompetent fuckers imaginable, and the Republic is nowhere to be seen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Not sure if you know this but she was in Game of Thrones.

she's the worst part about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

peter dinklage would have been a better lead for solo: a star wars story than the guy they have

They're saving him for the Willow reboot.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cnut the Great posted:

But Rey should have an arc. This should be her story, and Finn's story, and Poe's story. Luke already had his arc in the OT. This movie just regresses him, just as it regressed Han Solo in TFA, and for the same reason: These films have absolutely no idea what to do with the new characters, and so they have to lean on the old characters as crutches. And in so doing, they end up damaging the old characters and rendering the triumphant, optimistic ending of the OT depressing and pointless.

The correct way to do these movies would have been to establish a New Republic and New Jedi Order that the OT characters could be proud of and that the audience could care about, since they would represent the culmination of everything that transpired in the OT. The threat should have been that all this might be destroyed, that all the accomplishments and struggles of the OT might be rendered pointless, that all of this could be taken away. The job of the new characters should have been to fight and struggle to preserve what their parents built for them. Their story should have been how to successfully operate in a world where they've already won, where the onus is on them to learn how to be responsible stewards and defenders, how not to gently caress everything up and lose it all. This is a central story that would actually be worth caring about and being emotionally invested in. It would respect what came before while building on it to create new drama and new struggles.

Casually undermining everything that was accomplished in the OT off-screen between trilogies just feels cheap and un-earned. It feels like watching Sisyphus finally getting to the top of the hill after watching him toil and struggle for six hours, and then seeing him immediately get transported back to the very bottom in a matter of seconds. It's frustrating and narratively unfulfilling. Why should we care about anything that's happening in this trilogy when we know that any victory that's achieved can just be instantaneously re-set by writer's fiat? The struggle against the Empire felt real and weighty in the OT because of the promise of victory and salvation that we knew lay at the end of the tunnel. The struggle against the First Order feels hollow and artificial because that's what it is. It's something that can and will be completely undone with the stroke of a pen "just because." You can feel the oppressive confines of franchise formula pressing in claustrophobically at every point. You can see metaphorical zippers and strings everywhere, and everything zips despairingly along on cynically manufactured rails; nothing feels real or urgent or natural. It's Rebels vs. Empire all over again because that's what the suits at Disney determined was what sells, not because it's the next logical progression in the story.

Same

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

But Rey should have an arc.

She's in the middle of hers. Specifically she's at the point where the main villain has called out her problem (that she has extreme abandonment issues and an obsession with being The One). She doesnt have a short arc in TLJ because she served as the foil for Luke's arc.

quote:

This should be her story, and Finn's story, and Poe's story.

Why 'should' it be about them alone? What differentiates what you've said from any of the myriad of people who constructed their own internal TFA sequel, and judged TLJ against that?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zane posted:

lmao

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

It'd be this

but for two hours

I would watch the gently caress out of it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Palpek posted:

It will be such a shame if the Solo movie turns out to be bad, oh wait

Add an upcoming Rian Johnson trilogy and a series from Games of Thrones' creators.

That's a lot of Star Wars.

Soon it'll just be a routine for a lot of people to go to the yearly Star Wars movie. At least in our Godless universe we can keep up traditions.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

the thing that SW has really been missing is sex scenes with full penetration and i must reiterate how glad i am that solo: a star wars story breaks down that longstanding barrier

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The bad news is it's in a Clint Howard scene

it's chewie i'm most excited for. the flamboyantly green anus i mentioned earlier, it haunts my thoughts, like some half-remembered song from my youth.

I just want to see Greedo in someone's anus. That is to say, I want to see Greedo buttfuck Clint Howard and/or Chewie. It'll paint his untimely death in ANH with a sad undertone, knowing that Chewie's life debt to Han prevents him from avenging his deceased lover. In the case that it's Clint Howard, he can be inserted in the Mos Eisley scene as one of the Bith jizzers rushing over to Greedo's still-smoking corpse to hold him in one final embrace.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
*young han getting buttfucked by a young whatever species greedo is*

*young not-greedo cums, is murdered by young han*

i always shoot first you bugeyed bitch

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

good post

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

NOT!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

heck yeah this is so ni

what the gently caress

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bloom posted:

*young han getting buttfucked by a young whatever species greedo is*

*young not-greedo cums, is murdered by young han*

i always shoot first you bugeyed bitch

If only young not-greedo had given Han a reacharound with his suction cup fingers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

If only young not-greedo had given Han a reacharound with his suction cup fingers.

You'd think they'd have made a gun that works better with sucker fingers than the one he was using.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm predicting SOLO will be just as bad and worthless as Terminator Genisys

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

You'd think they'd have made a gun that works better with sucker fingers than the one he was using.

I'm sure this will be addressed in Greedo: A Star Wars Story, written by Bret Easton Ellis, directed by the Wachowskis, and starring Daniel Day Lewis as a young Greedo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Greedo would be physically incapable of shooting a blaster using those idiot alien hands. I expect Disney to resolve this problem by removing his blaster shot entirely in the special special edition of New Hope and making Han the cold blooded scum murderer that he is.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
han gives greedo the kiss of death

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mozi posted:

han gives greedo the kiss of death

On Greedo's suction-cupped cock.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Palpek posted:

the special special edition of New Hope and making Han the cold blooded scum murderer that he is.

Exactly like the original release version. If Disney did this and still churned out the mediocre product they are right now that would be fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

She's in the middle of hers. Specifically she's at the point where the main villain has called out her problem (that she has extreme abandonment issues and an obsession with being The One). She doesnt have a short arc in TLJ because she served as the foil for Luke's arc.

None of this comes across very forcefully. It's an anemic arc. It's a formality. Rey is barely a character. Nothing about her feels real. She's a cipher who we're repeatedly told has character traits but never displays them in an emotionally convincing way. And while I can at least recognize that she's supposed to have abandonment issues, I can only LOL at the idea that she has "an obsession with being The One." That is not at all a strongly communicated or acted aspect of her character.

Neurolimal posted:

Why 'should' it be about them alone? What differentiates what you've said from any of the myriad of people who constructed their own internal TFA sequel, and judged TLJ against that?

Because it's a new story and it should be about new characters and new things. I don't care about whatever you're going on about with that last bit and I'll pointedly ignore it.

Automatic Slim posted:

Exactly like the original release version. If Disney did this and still churned out the mediocre product they are right now that would be fair enough.

LOL Han was never a cold-blooded murderer and people claiming that he was are ironically the greatest argument for Lucas making the change. Congrats on being dumbasses. That dumb edit is your own drat fault.

• Locked thread