Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Inescapable Duck posted:

Because nobody's been building affordable apartments for 30 years.

No one is building low end apartments for sure, I only see A class fancy poo poo getting built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

naem posted:

Advanced Detroitification is at hand

Oddly enough, the trend is swinging back toward a stronger manufacturing base. While the USA isn't going to compete with Asia vis a vis consumer goods, we have a lot of other manufacturing sectors that are not only doing very well, but experiencing renewed growth as people become interested in manufacturing again. As cringey as they can be sometimes, I credit the maker space movement for a lot of the upsurge in manufacturing interest and manufacturing job pursuit.

...holy poo poo, maybe the 3d printed cuck house people are onto something :aaaaa:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

Oddly enough, the trend is swinging back toward a stronger manufacturing base. While the USA isn't going to compete with Asia vis a vis consumer goods, we have a lot of other manufacturing sectors that are not only doing very well, but experiencing renewed growth as people become interested in manufacturing again. As cringey as they can be sometimes, I credit the maker space movement for a lot of the upsurge in manufacturing interest and manufacturing job pursuit.

...holy poo poo, maybe the 3d printed cuck house people are onto something :aaaaa:

3D printers are dumb. its 1000% easier to machine things than to build them up layer by layer

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rutibex posted:

3D printers are dumb. its 1000% easier to machine things than to build them up layer by layer

Counterpoint: 3d printing(and additive manufacturing a a whole) is a useful tool that has it's place. It will never replace every facet of manufacturing, but it has had a significant impact on many aspects of it and for the better. Case in point, I'm working on a new type of knee replacement system that has a much shorter and less costly design cycle thanks to both plastic and metal (DMLS) additive manufacturing. Instead of waiting for a quick cast knee implant from the foundry we can have a printed metal one out of the same material inside a week at 20% of the cost.

PM me if you wanna see pics from the cadaver lab we did a couple of weeks ago.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
To overgeneralize, it's good for custom work but not for mass production

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

To overgeneralize, it's good for custom work but not for mass production

True. Although, there is a niche market in additive manufacturing for making large, short run production enclosures for machines and appliances. In my other life, I manage a machine shop that makes parts for various atomic force microscope manufacturers. One of them uses an AM outfit down in San Diego to make their machine covers because tooling to have them injection molded would be around 250K, and their scopes are somewhat revision heavy and get changed a lot. So, 250k in tooling would just go right out the window every couple of years.

3D printing got way too much hype a few years ago, and really the only good thing to come out of it long term is that there are a lot of younger people who think manufacturing is cool again.

The next big trend for home 3D printing will be very large format printing. That'll probably happen once they find a reliable way to move away from the filament that FDM machines use. This would enable much larger designs like functional furniture and hobby stuff. But, that would be limited to enthusiasts who would be okay with a machine like that taking up most of their garage or den. True, ubiquitous home 3d printing probably won't happen like the hype train said it would,(download file from Amazon and print your thing instead of buying it) but the craft industry is something like 20-30 billion/year and thats enough of a pull to keep the home/hobby machines going.

Also, if you own a 3D printer you get to subject yourself to seeing a wall of 3D printed Rick and Morty meme poo poo :suicide:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
All these one room millennial murder suicide shacks are going to be great for horror movies in like 25 years when they are all abandoned and falling apart prematurely.

naem
May 29, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

All these one room millennial murder suicide shacks are going to be great for horror movies in like 25 5 years when they are all abandoned and falling apart prematurely.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
How the gently caress does the US have a housing crisis?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

wit posted:

How the gently caress does the US have a housing crisis?

Every one one wants to live in the cool hip areas instead of the middle of no where. San Fran also does poo poo like not allow massive Sky Scrapers so space is limited in the premium areas by the people that got their first.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
housing in cities is basically a massive investment vehicle and in capitalism if you have a lot of money paying for an empty condo is a pretty good way to make more money

naem
May 29, 2011

BexGu posted:

Every one one wants to live in the cool hip areas instead of the middle of no where. San Fran also does poo poo like not allow massive Sky Scrapers so space is limited in the premium areas by the people that got their first.

It isn't just about being hip, it's also about living where there is a strong job market- where you can work for three years at one place and then apply to better jobs that pay more to advance your career.

It would be nice to think we could all work for 30 years at dunder-mifflin's Scranton PA branch but they were bought out by Sabre and laid everyone off

wit
Jul 26, 2011

BexGu posted:

That's a weird thing to call a crisis. In the UK the biggest problems for the expansion of cities is that your tescos and walmarts have bought up all the brownbelt land outside, not to build but to stop each other building stores. I guess in the states with bad transportation the arsehole of nowhere really is the arsehole of nowhere.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

wit posted:

That's a weird thing to call a crisis. In the UK the biggest problems for the expansion of cities is that your tescos and walmarts have bought up all the brownbelt land outside, not to build but to stop each other building stores. I guess in the states with bad transportation the arsehole of nowhere really is the arsehole of nowhere.

In the US people/business are actually moving from expansive cites to more cost effective ones. Pittsburgh has a up and coming tech industry and Austin/Houston have been growing as well as people look to move to cities that actually have stuff to do and can still afford a place.

But yeah living in the middle of nowhere US sucks. And there is ALOT of middle of no where in the US.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BexGu posted:

In the US people/business are actually moving from expansive cites to more cost effective ones. Pittsburgh has a up and coming tech industry and Austin/Houston have been growing as well as people look to move to cities that actually have stuff to do and can still afford a place.

But yeah living in the middle of nowhere US sucks. And there is ALOT of middle of no where in the US.

the smart and/or gay kids in Wide Spot In The Highway, Kansas are moving to austin. loving nobody is moving to texas or pgh from SF lmao

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rad-daddio posted:

True. Although, there is a niche market in additive manufacturing for making large, short run production enclosures for machines and appliances. In my other life, I manage a machine shop that makes parts for various atomic force microscope manufacturers. One of them uses an AM outfit down in San Diego to make their machine covers because tooling to have them injection molded would be around 250K, and their scopes are somewhat revision heavy and get changed a lot. So, 250k in tooling would just go right out the window every couple of years.

3D printing got way too much hype a few years ago, and really the only good thing to come out of it long term is that there are a lot of younger people who think manufacturing is cool again.

The next big trend for home 3D printing will be very large format printing. That'll probably happen once they find a reliable way to move away from the filament that FDM machines use. This would enable much larger designs like functional furniture and hobby stuff. But, that would be limited to enthusiasts who would be okay with a machine like that taking up most of their garage or den. True, ubiquitous home 3d printing probably won't happen like the hype train said it would,(download file from Amazon and print your thing instead of buying it) but the craft industry is something like 20-30 billion/year and thats enough of a pull to keep the home/hobby machines going.

Also, if you own a 3D printer you get to subject yourself to seeing a wall of 3D printed Rick and Morty meme poo poo :suicide:

I mean home printing is now maybe 30-40 years old and it still completely sucks rear end and no reasonable person would sit and print a book or newspaper at home. And that is worlds simpler than 3d printing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I mean home printing is now maybe 30-40 years old and it still completely sucks rear end and no reasonable person would sit and print a book or newspaper at home. And that is worlds simpler than 3d printing.

I've printed a few manuals. That's what tree ring binders are for

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Middle of nowhere US is great. Cheap prices and all the meth and heroin you can smoke, inhale, inject or stick up your butt.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Imagine spending over half your income on rent and being too stubborn to move somewhere cheaper lmao

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My tiny house has wheels to escape my feels

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My local news is running a piece about the 3d printed jackshack. Doesn't look like a big deal. poo poo, I think the styrofoam forms filled with concrete building method has been around what, 30 years now?

Just build a drat concrete block house like people have been doing for over 100 years now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just build a drat concrete block house like people have been doing for over 100 years now.

:eyepop:
but then they would have to stack the bricks themselves! i don't think millennials are ready for that level of effort

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm starting to wonder if Sear could come back with the Pre-Built house models and make them cheap due to mass production.

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1933-1940.htm

Like take the The Cape Cod (Model No. 13354A) here, remove having a basement, and just slap that sucker down some where.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

modular houses are totally a thing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
poo poo, there's a company called EZ Log that sells small home/cabin kits.

http://www.ezlogstructures.com/products/

Slap a decent sized one of those on an acre a few miles from your city of choice and you're in business. Pieces come numbered. Tools are rather minimal. A group of motivated people could easily put it up in a week, or a few lazy people could knock it out in a couple months.

It would take longer to line up permits and utility work than build those cabins. They are pretty ugly if you don't like the wood look.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just go into the woods with some saws and woodworking tools and make a log cabin. you don't need to buy anything (except the saws I guess)

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

poo poo, there's a company called EZ Log that sells small home/cabin kits.

http://www.ezlogstructures.com/products/

Slap a decent sized one of those on an acre a few miles from your city of choice and you're in business. Pieces come numbered. Tools are rather minimal. A group of motivated people could easily put it up in a week, or a few lazy people could knock it out in a couple months.

It would take longer to line up permits and utility work than build those cabins. They are pretty ugly if you don't like the wood look.
I like the wood look and those are still strikingly ugly homes.

Like those houses are "I joined a cult and they assigned this residence to me" levels of ugly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ keep in mind they're meant to be lake cabins and second home, rarely visited type homes. And yeah, they're ugly as sin. Interesting concept though.

Actual log cabins are hard to get right and generally packed with mud or clay to fill the gaps.

If you're good with wood and tools you could easily just line up a delivery from a lumber yard of dimensional lumber and build one of those cabins yourself. The thickest they sell those cabin walls are 2.75 inch. You could easily outdo the strength of that thickness wall by building with 4x8s. 3.5" thick walls will stop a lot of poo poo, especially when 2.5" of it isn't empty space.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Actual log cabins are hard to get right

i love posting this video. this dude managed to do it, all by himself in the middle of the alaskin wilderness. he didnt even bring the handles for his tools, he only brought the metal bits in his pack and carved the handles when he arrived!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

They live in a tiny home, in order to afford maintaining five hairstyles between the two of them.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

/\ keep in mind they're meant to be lake cabins and second home, rarely visited type homes. And yeah, they're ugly as sin. Interesting concept though.

Actual log cabins are hard to get right and generally packed with mud or clay to fill the gaps.

If you're good with wood and tools you could easily just line up a delivery from a lumber yard of dimensional lumber and build one of those cabins yourself. The thickest they sell those cabin walls are 2.75 inch. You could easily outdo the strength of that thickness wall by building with 4x8s. 3.5" thick walls will stop a lot of poo poo, especially when 2.5" of it isn't empty space.

Carver Kings on Netflix is great because you get to see a bunch of spectacularly done log homes and then the process of carving out wood statues and poo poo for it. Pretty boss. Also hella expensive

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rutibex posted:

i love posting this video. this dude managed to do it, all by himself in the middle of the alaskin wilderness. he didnt even bring the handles for his tools, he only brought the metal bits in his pack and carved the handles when he arrived!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

That guy is not your average "decent with tools and wood" guy. And his lifestyle is way off course if you want to live anywhere with codes. A lot of those cabin kits can be had with all engineering plans.

That guy gets it right. But he's an exception. And an exceptional man.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 6, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They should just convert under-used parking structures into cuck shack plots. It's already divided up and access is pretty easy for wheeled vehicles. Can re-purpose EV hookups as trailer hookups.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I love how poo poo like this is just a bandaid slapped on a gaping wound. "Not enough housing? Why, just print yourself one! Housing problem solved!"

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I’m gonna live in a storage shed like Hiro Protagonist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Or upcycle those abandoned Sears buildings throughout suburbia. 22 Hardware Dept.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

I don't really know much about tiny homes but I've heard there are zoning issues all over the place. But check this guy out.

Still want to punch his stupid face.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Did we get pics of the pizza

I bet it has pineapple on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I lived in a 8 x 32 travel trailer for 2 years and so I think I can confidently say that these millinial dipshits are loving retarded

• Locked thread