Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

The final ea7.x update to The Void Rains Upon Her Heart dropped last week! :comfyoot:

It looks like the plans for the remaining versions are:
ea8.x: Tower mode (face every monster of a given type back to back, with some tower-specific mechanics like negative gifts); more of the story for Heart and Defect (and their alter versions)
ea9.x: The rest of the storyline and the fifth character
1.0: Ultimate Tower challenge mode, game leaves EA.

Based on how the 7.x series I'm expecting these will see a lot of feature creep, although hopefully not as much as 7.x did. But this probably means that all of the monsters (barring the plot-related final bosses that won't show up until 8.x) are in, along with most of the gifts and events.

There'll be more monsters. I can't imagine the dev not adding more monsters than planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fez_machine posted:

There'll be more monsters. I can't imagine the dev not adding more monsters than planned.

I mean, 7.x already had, what, twice as many monsters added as planned? And 8.x/9.x are already planning to add a bunch of final bosses.

But yeah idk what I was thinking when I typed that, Veyerals is incapable of restraint when it comes to adding new content to this game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
updated the OP with a few fresh recommendations. if anyone has more feel free to post a little write up and video!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bunch of Darius games wre on sale recently, and I picked up burst ac:ex for switch. Pretty sweet so far. I haven't played any of these since the snes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know there's a separate thread, but I hope everyone has given Void Stranger a try!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I know there's a separate thread, but I hope everyone has given Void Stranger a try!

Been obsessed with it all month!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

B33rChiller posted:

Bunch of Darius games wre on sale recently, and I picked up burst ac:ex for switch. Pretty sweet so far. I haven't played any of these since the snes.

Big fan of the CS version. The difficulty seriously spikes out of nowhere sometimes but you can skip most of the levels so it's not a big deal

The Cotton series is also on sale right now. Fantasy is seriously good, and not especially hard

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Last night I got my first non-novice 1CC in a Cave game. Deathsmiles is pretty easy by arcade standards but I'm still feeling very powerful about it. Akai Katana Shin is the next thing I want to 1CC, it's definitely harder but it's within my reach for sure.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1944690414

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Hell yeah!! Akai Aktana is a tough one for sure. Gonna go for Shin or arcade mode, or Zetsu?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lynx Winters posted:

Last night I got my first non-novice 1CC in a Cave game. Deathsmiles is pretty easy by arcade standards but I'm still feeling very powerful about it. Akai Katana Shin is the next thing I want to 1CC, it's definitely harder but it's within my reach for sure.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1944690414

congrats!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

beer gas canister posted:

Hell yeah!! Akai Aktana is a tough one for sure. Gonna go for Shin or arcade mode, or Zetsu?

Definitely Shin. Zetsu is fun and is just a better version of original, but I like the flow of Shin a lot more.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

beer gas canister posted:

Big fan of the CS version. The difficulty seriously spikes out of nowhere sometimes but you can skip most of the levels so it's not a big deal

The Cotton series is also on sale right now. Fantasy is seriously good, and not especially hard
Oh yeah, the version I got was on sale, and cs wasn't. Will consider it for future sales, when I'm craving more.
I have Cotton Reboot already. Fun game for sure. Is Fantasy much different?

On another tangent, what's folks favored arcade stick for shmups on switch? I think a little more finesse would be possible with my whole hand, rather than thumb.
Thoughts?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 8, 2023

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Cotton Fantasy is a whole new, modern game, with several selectable characters, some of which alter the gameplay mechanics entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_hErptXFo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You'll excuse me if I don't click on the thumbnail of the anime girl with her arse hanging out of her bikini.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
yeah shmup junkie has a severe thumbnail problem, but it's the best overview i've found

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

B33rChiller posted:

On another tangent, what's folks favored arcade stick for shmups on switch? I think a little more finesse would be possible with my whole hand, rather than thumb.
Thoughts?

I’m using the 8bitdo stick but I swapped out the stock buttons for nicer ones and have been meaning to swap out the stock stick. The stock buttons and stick are perfectly serviceable though.

It’s nice because it allows 3 different kinds of connections (wired, Bluetooth, 2.4 via included USB dongle) and has a toggle to allow it to register as an Xbox controller to PC / steam deck.

It goes on sale pretty often for Black Friday and the like too.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

I’m using the 8bitdo stick but I swapped out the stock buttons for nicer ones and have been meaning to swap out the stock stick. The stock buttons and stick are perfectly serviceable though.

It’s nice because it allows 3 different kinds of connections (wired, Bluetooth, 2.4 via included USB dongle) and has a toggle to allow it to register as an Xbox controller to PC / steam deck.

It goes on sale pretty often for Black Friday and the like too.

Would love to know more about replacing the buttons and stick. I got this stick last week, and it’s nice, but the buttons do feel lackluster.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Arpanets posted:

Would love to know more about replacing the buttons and stick. I got this stick last week, and it’s nice, but the buttons do feel lackluster.

Here, check the dedicated thread.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Awesome, this thread rocks

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks folks!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Arpanets posted:

The buttons require no special hardware that I can recall (sorry it has been a few years) other than the screwdrivers to get the stick open. I replaced them with Sanwas.

As for the stick, you’re going to need a 5-pin to JST cable for anything from Seimitsu or Sanwa - the stock stick is hardwired in there, but you’ll need to plug the 5-pin into the new stick and get all the corresponding wires married up to the stock wires. The stick thread quoted above is a great resource!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

revolver360:reactor is criminally unloved. the rotating mechanism is still unique in shmups, there are also some raystorm nods. it banks a lot more heavily on visual overload than I would like and it does lean towards the euroshmup you're going to take some damage design philosophy. absolutely amazing, I'm utter trash at it though.

the prequel came out on xblig, hence the "360" in the title. I was worried it will vanish to the sands of time when the service shuts down, but no, a little poking around reveled that if you're cool with giving a shady japanese smut retailer your credit card, you can get a legit windows copy for, like, $2 after coupons

https://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ121119.html

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I mean, what's one more shady Japanese smut retailer, right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

While you're there pick up (site nsfw) Cambria Sword, it's loving nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTFdsGlfxs

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I always liked ring ^ -27 too

https://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ082335.html

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
cute little Cambrian bug monster shmup. cool.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bullet hell no

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just kidding, I have no strong feelings about shmups one way or the other.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Man, it feels like every time I blink there's a new fansub for a Dreamcast SHMUP:

https://cdromance.com/dc-iso/trizeal-jpn/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

McSpanky posted:

Just kidding, I have no strong feelings about shmups one way or the other.

Give Jamestown+ a try! It's an accessible bullet hell that foregoes anime styling in favor of, like, white dudes or something.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Shine posted:

Give Jamestown+ a try! It's an accessible bullet hell that foregoes anime styling in favor of, like, white dudes or something.
Also, if you play it on an older laptop in the summer, you can get a slowdown assist to help with the final stage.
Or, I suppose you could open a browser and open tabs until things get heavy.
I just remember that being the way I could beat that game. (low skill, happy to try again and again style player)

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 13, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Besides running the same level over and over again, are there any tips to get better at SHMUPs? I understand that is a huge advantage, but I find that I enjoy a lot of these games, will blast through level 1 or level 2 with like no lives lost, get absolutely stomped on the next level and sometimes not make it to the boss, and then the prospect of replaying again to that stage for future runs just feels like a pain somehow. Especially if they don't have like mid-run saves (which is not common at all).

I understand many ports have like practice modes if I reach the level but somehow it just doesn't entice me the same way. Like I'll put it down, maybe next month I'll try Crimzon Clover again, breeze through Stage 1 and 2, lose all my accumulated lives on Stage 3, get booted to the main menu and be like "Yeah....that was fun......guess I'll play something else now." I understand studying and memorising is part of the fun, and there's replays etc that will help craft strategies also if need be, but my head just isn't there right now. At least not for SHMUPs.

Some games entice me to keep playing though, and I'm not necessarily sure what the difference is. The Void Rains Upon Her Heart's run based randomised structure helps keep it compelling for me. Zero Ranger's story kept me engaged throughout, especially since it tied redoing runs to cycles repeating; but also, it had this feature where I had far more lives in one run if I played enough. I thiiiiink it also had mid-run saves so I could just play a bit and stop, then pick it up at Stage 3 or whatever, and keep going. Whereas most games in the genre if I stop I gotta either have to start over or hit practice mode next run. I also finished the og Jamestown, which I think basically had level select iirc.

So yeah, any tips on how to be better in general with SHMUPs would be nice! Especially if it's something that's not necessarily intuitive. I think part of it is the feeling like "I'm too good for level 1 (and sometimes level 2) but far too weak for the subsequent level." Like there's no ramp in difficulty, just flat ground and then I'm facing a 90 degree cliff immediately.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Artelier posted:

Besides running the same level over and over again, are there any tips to get better at SHMUPs? I understand that is a huge advantage, but I find that I enjoy a lot of these games, will blast through level 1 or level 2 with like no lives lost, get absolutely stomped on the next level and sometimes not make it to the boss, and then the prospect of replaying again to that stage for future runs just feels like a pain somehow. Especially if they don't have like mid-run saves (which is not common at all).

I understand many ports have like practice modes if I reach the level but somehow it just doesn't entice me the same way. Like I'll put it down, maybe next month I'll try Crimzon Clover again, breeze through Stage 1 and 2, lose all my accumulated lives on Stage 3, get booted to the main menu and be like "Yeah....that was fun......guess I'll play something else now." I understand studying and memorising is part of the fun, and there's replays etc that will help craft strategies also if need be, but my head just isn't there right now. At least not for SHMUPs.

Some games entice me to keep playing though, and I'm not necessarily sure what the difference is. The Void Rains Upon Her Heart's run based randomised structure helps keep it compelling for me. Zero Ranger's story kept me engaged throughout, especially since it tied redoing runs to cycles repeating; but also, it had this feature where I had far more lives in one run if I played enough. I thiiiiink it also had mid-run saves so I could just play a bit and stop, then pick it up at Stage 3 or whatever, and keep going. Whereas most games in the genre if I stop I gotta either have to start over or hit practice mode next run. I also finished the og Jamestown, which I think basically had level select iirc.

So yeah, any tips on how to be better in general with SHMUPs would be nice! Especially if it's something that's not necessarily intuitive. I think part of it is the feeling like "I'm too good for level 1 (and sometimes level 2) but far too weak for the subsequent level." Like there's no ramp in difficulty, just flat ground and then I'm facing a 90 degree cliff immediately.

Play on the hardest modes you can over and over again.

If TVRUHH works for you then try playing for high scores in the ultra quick play mode with the auto-panic gift. When I'd finished, the lower stages seemed like they moved in slow motion.

As for an actual skill try practising soft focus so you can see where the bullets are coming from but 60% of your attention is on your ship. Rather than snapping your focus to and from different areas of the screen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shine posted:

I have mixed feelings about Jamestown; it's really polished, I did enjoy it overall, and it was, I think, the third shmup ever that I finished (after Tyrian and Jets'n'Guns).

On the other hand, it does two things that I found extremely rude:
- the back half of the campaign is only available on higher difficulty levels, so if you can't put the time in to Git Gud or just lack the hand-eye coordination you are locked in demo mode forever
- enemies have long death animations, and their attacks don't cancel when they hit 0hp, so it's entirely possible to kill a boss and then die while its death animation is playing out, which counts as a loss

The latter happened to me on the final boss which is the most aggravating place for it to happen by far, too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Artelier posted:

Here's the best strategy guide: https://archive.org/details/full-extent-of-the-jam-english The section regarding specific techniques begins on page 22, though I do suggest reading the rest as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mje1q66Zazo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vUM1V_s1A

Stage 3 is typically the "filter" level in a shmup, where the heat starts to go crazy. I beat Crimzon Clover Novice mode by using the stage select to work on each level from 3 on until I could do them once or twice without dying as a test. Usually I'd play my target level a couple of times at the start of a play session, then start a full run to test myself. Tracking your high score, in-game or otherwise, is a nice way to remind yourself of progress from day to day.

My favorite tip is to try to move LESS instead of dodging more. Aimed shots often only require a tiny movement to dodge, so just tap left or right. Learn to recognize when an enemy has aimed at you then punk them with tiny jukes

A few more -
1) Kill everything as quickly as possible to prevent bullet build up
2) Keep control of your ship - don't dodge around madly. Only move as much as you need to
3) See if the game you're playing has an achievable 1up extend - often you can score well enough on the first two stages to snag it later
4) Moving backwards is a superpower - you can open new gaps in bullet patterns by going with the flow and letting their trajectories develop in parallel with your movement. This is sometimes called a "cutback" and magical things happen when you get good at it

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 13, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dariusbusrt AC EX switch early play report:
I love the ability to turn around in a horizontal shmup! And the extra wide ratio is fun. I like having lots of space.
My daughter really enjoys the boss designs too. "Oh, it's a big fish!"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Artelier posted:

Folks have given you a bunch of other answers, but here's the boring one: Learn to love practice mode. Take a stage that gives you trouble and put some time into it, figuring out every nook and cranny until you can consistently get through it without dying. (And try to use as few bombs as possible; one of the joys of practice is that you can challenge yourself against really difficult patterns, which in real runs you would likely bomb.) If you do this, you can follow it up by doing a full run, and see just how much progress you've made, one of the fundamental joys of the genre is conquering a section of the game that once looked impossible. Few other genres can boast the same sort of really obvious indicator of your skills improving as this one. Once you get used to it, practice is just as fun (if not more fun) than doing real runs.

Just don't become a total practice parakeet. I know a bunch of people who pretty much only practice and are too scared to do real runs!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Might be worth trying other titles with different styles, too.

Drainus is a fun-yet-forgiving SHMUP that has stage select, continuing from checkpoints, an extremely powerful defensive shield, and ship progression that persists between stages. It's great for people who aren't into the bullet hell thing and want more of a "classic" SHMUP experience, like Gradius.

Speaking of, I get that it's a nod to Darius and Gradius, but holy hell "Drainus" is an unfortunate name.

Anyway, here's a random gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nEQXGYbRs

Shine fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

this is a friendly reminder that capcom arcade stadium is selling progear and giga wing for one dollar each right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

^that sale made a convert out of me!!

I'm seriously getting into shmups for the first time now and I'm having so much fun y'all.

Been sticking to Radiant Silvergun, Progear and Giga Wing. I wish Mars Matrix was on the Switch too, that soundtrack is killer.

What has suprised me the most is how straight-up beautiful they are. RS is so moody top to bottom, to the point that the (very, very good) gameplay feels almost secondary to the moment-to-moment being in it, the end of the world.

And I love the little audiovisual flourishes from the post-boss screen in Progear. The quick rotation through various locations that settles on your next one, the weird little stat bars of dubious meaning at the bottom... the craft on display in even the smallest of things has won my heart.

Giga Wing has, honestly, the worst character selection theme I have ever heard, but I enjoy the overall amount of attention lavished on the characters, fighting game style. I suspect that I will hold it's approach to character differentiation/personality as my gold standard going forward, it's certainly better than it was in any of the shmups I played growing up. It's also my personal favorite at the moment, gameplay-wise.

When I can 1CC all three maybe I'll treat myself to Ikaruga...