Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went to go see 8ender today with the kids in tow and we find an old familiar smell upon arrival. Took off the front fresh air intake scoop to find the culprit. Wouldn't be a trip there without an issue popping up (seriously, every time in the Subaru).

And promptly fixed it after burgers and a drink.

No issues with it on the way home. He seemed to enjoy driving my car briskly through some corners when given the chance and liked the modifications that I had performed. General consensus was to just put new bushings on the current sway bars and drive it as is. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

The new rubber looks nice, it is amazing how much of a difference you feel going from winter rubber to summer tires. Living in a temperate climate, I had to run snow tires for a couple of weeks and was astounded by the improvement in ride comfort and overall performance going back to the summer tires.

Also, good on you for keeping up the posting, amigo. It seems no one responds unless you're posting lewd and lascivious pictures of yourself in jorts.

E: does that line in the subaru go anywhere? it looks like it maybe took a hard 90* bend down in the first shot, but in the second it just kinda... sticks out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is that a line for?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

turbo rad in a non turbo car = ports for the waterbox arent used.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I called it a radiator penis but your explanation is better.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You know what that means, it's demanding a turbo swap :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd put an extension on if I had that kind of dry cracking problem too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bajaha posted:

You know what that means, it's demanding a turbo swap :colbert:

Hahaha, no way. Money like that goes into the other cars.

Sockington posted:

Some of the proceeds went to this

leica posted:

Is that the real deal? Because if so :drat:

It is now. :smugbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Time to break out the jorts.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Cleaned out the garage the other weekend. I've got a fuckton of old oil to dispose of.

Subaru humming along fine. Purchased at 145,000km. Currently at 190,000km. Roughly ~2years since purchase.

Stance bro.

When ever the son comes in the garage, he know's the Miata is my car and the MR2 is his. We haven't done anything with it yet, but just planting the seed early.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Sockington posted:

When ever the son comes in the garage, he know's the Miata is my car and the MR2 is his. We haven't done anything with it yet, but just planting the seed early.

Speaking as someone who's dad got him a aw11 in highschool, I fully support this plan. Though I got into enough trouble with a bone stock '87, so giving him a v6 one might be asking for trouble.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Need any parts from a 2001 Imprezza? I am currently ripping the motor out and the rest is destined to become a cube.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So I've had some serious oil dripping develop. Suspected a leaking valve cover gasket.

Erm.. that smelled wonderful.

Am I about to uncover some 8ender level poo poo again?

Not bad for almost 200,000km (wish I would have noticed the oil on that white plug at the start)

Put new spark plug tube grommets in at the same time.

Inspector helping.

I went to return some RTV that I didn't need and was greeted by a huge puddle of oil. Oil pressure sensor poo poo the bed.

New one will be here in a couple days. Driver's side is also on the replacement list as well. :3: Pretty nasty (it's the "thing" pointed vertical)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Inspector's noggin is awfully close to the hood prop.

What year is that one again? I would have thought it'd be coil on plug.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like coil on plug to me, but uses one coil pack for a number of cylinders

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It's just a single coil pack for all four cylinders. It uses coil-on-intake manifold. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Standard waste-spark setup, 4 post 2 coil pack mounted centrally (aka on the intake manifold.)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Off we go again.

$75 worth of Subaru VTEC-y oil sensors.

The driver's side is pretty nasty from a long and slow leak.

Driver's side in and no leaks.

Rear in and leak free.

Thinking sway bar links in the front are beat. Getting a light popping from the front right wheel. To be fair, they are stock at 180,000km of moon units.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I would recommend doing the bushings for the bar itself. Also be prepared to swear and curse Subaru. IF there anything like Tribeca links it will be a horrible experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's summer time why are you driving that POS anyway :colbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Spending all my :10bux: on daycare for both kids. September the little guy enters full day school, so there's ~$350/month saved in daycare there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Swaybar frame bushings are shot. I can grab the bar from below and replicate the sound. End links will need to be thrown on as well.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Bummer, guess Fireweed is gonna sit a little while longer?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

leica posted:

It's summer time why are you driving that POS anyway :colbert:

"Summer" in Canada really just means "two weeks of rough sledding" :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

Swaybar frame bushings are shot. I can grab the bar from below and replicate the sound. End links will need to be thrown on as well.

I was sorta wrong! The bushings and endlinks are shot, but for some reason the top strut nut had loosened itself off to finger tight. Not sure what happened there, but tightened it up. Going to order some hardened locknuts to solve it since the provided one clearly let go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The strut top nut is a nylock nut, isn't it? Maybe it's worn out if you reused it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Finally getting around to one project I've been meaning to do. Just doing the layout now for a garage chair.

Edit: AE86 Dorifto wheely chair

Sockington fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

Finally getting around to one project I've been meaning to do. Just doing the layout now for a garage chair.

YESSSSS

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sockington posted:

I would love to do this since car seats are usually quite a bit more comfy than office chairs but it requires a little more knowledge and ambition than I possess :v:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

5 Wheel Drift!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sockington posted:

I built something like that for work, because our old chairs were making my rear end hurt.

...and then they bought everyone Herman Miller Contessas. I still like my car-chair, though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
SUPER EXCITING UPDATE!

I need to do pads and rotors on the front of the wagon. That's it. :downs:

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Any sock project update is a super exciting update.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The pheonix rises from its...pile of rust!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You been driving the Miata much this summer?

I imagine you don't have much time to even think about your projects with two kids, I have no time with one :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

Rusting cars: the slowest automotive fire you've ever witnessed.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

My rust-shake brings all the goons to the yard

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Parts guy hosed up and gave me the wrong guide pins but the boots will work.

Went the lazy/cheap route since nothing was in stock anywhere and left all the old brake poo poo there and just regreased and cleaned up the stock sliders.

The rotors and pads are hosed and on the shopping list, but at least this will safely get me to work for a while until I can order in what I want instead of what's just available quickly.

Hey, who doesn't have a giant loving knife handy in their toolbox?

Also, bonus work one. Guess who follows PPE procedures for nitrile gloves below their work gloves at the carbon black plant? Every loving time you touch anything you're instantly black. Hate that place.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've been pretty happy with those Powerstop rotor and ceramic pad kits from Rockauto. Good price and they work good.

I kind of wish they didn't drill the performance rotors though, I only want slotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The wagon rolls in for service.

gently caress dealing with the rusted slides.

Picked up a fresh caliper for the other side and going to tackle in the morning. Would much rather tackle the brakes before winter in this more permanent way.

• Locked thread