Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Are you a Spurs fan? Do you long for the days of Kappa and being unable to wear replica kits?

You're in luck!

Spurs have just signed a £10 million a year contract for Under Armour to supply their kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

ibroxmassive posted:

Are you a Spurs fan? Do you long for the days of Kappa and being unable to wear replica kits?

You're in luck!

Spurs have just signed a £10 million a year contract for Under Armour to supply their kits.

Settle down Beavis, UA does Hannover and a couple other ones and they're not bad really...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I'd say it will be closer to the WRU kit than that though

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

ibroxmassive posted:

You're in luck!

sorry i'm not a fat childe so a UA/kappa kit actually fits me well

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
Do soccertriads do UA kits though?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Couch posted:

Do soccertriads do UA kits though?

ua is all made in china so i'm sure they can get it

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Are Under Armor jerseys skin tight in Europe or something? At least one team in the J-League uses them and they look pretty normal.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Every UA kit I've seen has been kappa levels of tight, but that might just be because they were Rugby ones.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Pepper posted:

sorry i'm not a fat childe so a UA/kappa kit actually fits me well

Hellyeah me too :hfive:

Bring on the UA kits!

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
Kappa weren't that ill-filling but that material was absolutely horrid.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Couch posted:

Nobody likes Leeds fans though.

Like we give a gently caress :smug:

France away owns. I'd be happy with UA, they make some really high quality stuff, at least you won't have that weird soft fabric like kappa did, or the general shittiness of Macron/Admiral

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

ibroxmassive posted:

Every UA kit I've seen has been kappa levels of tight, but that might just be because they were Rugby ones.

the ua football kits fit like a normal kit

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ibroxmassive posted:

Nike make Rugby kits and they're really tight too, aren't they?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rugby tops are all tight now so its harder to grab someones shirt when you tackle them.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, that was my point.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Fists Up posted:

Rugby tops are all tight now so its harder to grab someones shirt when you tackle them.
I remember saying to my father something about how rugby players should wear tight jerseys just because of that when I was a kid. If only he was in charge of a major kit manufacturer instead of an engineer :argh:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don't know about their kits, but UA's underwear is a godsend for anyone who's job involves a lot of movement and sweating. Pretty much the opposite of Kappa's "soaking wet" tech.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

real_scud posted:

I remember saying to my father something about how rugby players should wear tight jerseys just because of that when I was a kid. If only he was in charge of a major kit manufacturer instead of an engineer :argh:

The ones in the early mid 90s really didnt make a lot of sense. Very very thick and heavy and very very baggy. Was so easy to grab someones collar and throw them down....but I guess they were thick enough to offer protection from a boot scraping across your ribs.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Everything in the 90s was very baggy. Everything.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Everything in the 90s was very baggy. Everything.

Not my neon tracksuits mate.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Fists Up posted:

The ones in the early mid 90s really didnt make a lot of sense. Very very thick and heavy and very very baggy. Was so easy to grab someones collar and throw them down....but I guess they were thick enough to offer protection from a boot scraping across your ribs.
Why tight-fitting clothes are a good idea in rugby, visual proof edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_f5Rr93v_Q

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love that was legal too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bhyo posted:

I love that was legal too.

It's legal to rake somebody with your cleats in the right time and place too. Rugby can be kind of ridiculous at times.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
where to post this

quote:

Tottenham Hotspur shirts could contain a “computer” that relays players’ biometric signals such as heart rate and temperature to coaching staff and even broadcasters from the start of the 2012-13 season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...layers-are.html

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

quote:

"Mark Dowley, Under Armour’s executive vice president, said: “We can metrically tell you what is happening to the body of somebody kicking a penalty in front of 60,000 people. You can watch his heart rate as he waits to take the kick. For the first time you can see inside an athlete as they perform. It adds to the drama.”

gently caress

Off

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

gently caress

Off

Finally, glorious American innovation has come to rescue the soccer from its doldrums!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

gently caress

Off

This is monumentally stupid. The quote, not T-Gulp's response.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Well, it's a more precise* measure of players' levels of exertion (and potential fatigue), so it could be situationally useful.

*not necessarily accurate

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
Hmm, they signed a deal with Spurs and the press release mentions a 60,000 seat stadium. They may have just let the cat out of the bag.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Under Armour is a Maryland company, my Grad school isn't too far from their HQ...they make decent looking stuff anyway. Cool to see them breaking into the soccer kit scene.

I'm indifferent about the HR monitors or whatever... clearly they already pedometers on some players for big matches because they give us that "KM run" stat a lot, at least for CL games anyway. It's dumb but TBQH not that big a deal

e: Also in the article apparentely it says the info is also going to be sent directly to trainers smartphones and stuff and will also be used in training, which I guess could add...something, I dunno.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 14, 2011

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
basically in 10 years everyone will have a "condition" percentage that the manager can use just like in FM

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
Wanna get some heart rate readings on Assou-Ekotto.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Couch posted:

Wanna get some heart rate readings on Assou-Ekotto.

he's flatlining

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Use it and any other fancy gizmos you want in training but suggesting that anyone gives a poo poo about the heart rate of someone about to take a penalty and that knowing it would add to the drama is entirely loving ludicrous

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I mean yeah its goofy but in a way its sort of cool idk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Use it and any other fancy gizmos you want in training but suggesting that anyone gives a poo poo about the heart rate of someone about to take a penalty and that knowing it would add to the drama is entirely loving ludicrous

That's exactly it; I mean, I understand why the training staff might care about players' heart rate during the game, but I certainly don't.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Next time Gerrard steps up to take a penalty do you want a pop up box up on the side of the screen with an electrocardiogram of his heartrate and maybe even the goalie's ecg and oh oh a top ten list of the calmest english premiere league spot kick penalty takers sponsored by axe body spray

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Next time Gerrard steps up to take a penalty do you want a pop up box up on the side of the screen with an electrocardiogram of his heartrate and maybe even the goalie's ecg and oh oh a top ten list of the calmest english premiere league spot kick penalty takers sponsored by axe body spray

This is what people who don't like this are anticipating. I can see how it'd be somewhat useful to the physios, but if data from these things is allowed to reach the broadcasters then this is definitely going to happen and it will be idiotic as all hell.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
i've seen on the news that there are devices that let you control things like computers with nothing but your brain waves. Wanna bet that in 20 years time the football broadcast will come up with a list of each player's mental state?

Wayne Rooney: In danger of losing discipline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I've always thought the one thing wrong with the sport was a lack of numbers flashing across my screen.