Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, it works fine but from a cost perspective it's often easier to just move mail into the cloud and pay a monthly fee per user as opposed to having everything On-Premise.

We did the numbers, it wasn't any cheaper at all. Just the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Show me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Show me.

We did the numbers when our renewal was up Jan 2015. I don't have the quote anymore. We signed a 3 year deal.

One of the issues was that we don't need the ability to allow end users multiple Office installs and that we'd have to go balls deep and also get Visio and Project since we use those often in the org, and apparently you can't install 365 along a local copy of Visio or Project.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

and apparently you can't install 365 along a local copy of Visio or Project.

That's not true, I have people using off-the-shelf Visio Pro with an O365 subscription and didn't see any problems.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There are some issues between the Click To Run versions of O365 office software and MSI based installs of Visio/Project.

I'm phone posting so I'm not mentioning details but there's plenty of info out there about it

dox
Mar 4, 2006

skipdogg posted:

There are some issues between the Click To Run versions of O365 office software and MSI based installs of Visio/Project.

This is accurate. You cannot install the Office 365 software (Click-to-Run) alongside any of the MSI based software (source).

I have to deal with this on my work computer and am forced to use Visio in a VM. A better alternative would be a RemoteApp.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boxed copies are Click-to-Run as well which might be why people didn't have an issue. Volume License isn't.

If you have Office 365 for your desktop apps then just add Visio and/or Project for the people that need it, unless you have a load of investment in licenses and aren't planning to upgrade any time soon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

God drat it, Win10 driver autoupdates. Most of the updated device drivers are fine, but god drat it the MS auto-updated driver for Device X keeps freaking breaking X. I have found that I have to disable Additional Product Updates to keep Good X Driver from being shat upon.

There isn't a way to selectively say, "Dear Windows Update: update all the devices except X" without wsus, is there?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone created their own user reports with the Azure AD Graph API Interface?

I'm hope someone, somewhere has a crappy example report I could play with :ohdear:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

We currently have 4 remote locations that we're trying to 'bring into the fold' as it were. The locations all have 1-2 PCs each and standard residential cable internet access. We would like to be able to: setup a VPN, deploy a single VOIP phone at each location, manage the network, provide some protection (IDS/IPS, content filtering) and have some monitoring and reporting capabilities. To this end, we're looking at Meraki gear. It looks like we would need a Z1 at each of the remote sites, and then something like an MX64 back at our main location.
Anyone here have any experience with this setup and Meraki gear in general? I know that they pretty much turn to bricks if you dont keep them licensed, but it's not really my money and they look like they'll do everything we're looking for.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We don't actually have any Z1s but on the firewalls site to site VPNs are like a two click process. I believe the Meraki support site has example configs for using ASAs as VPN endpoints too if you don't want to go with Z1s.

Meraki works well for us because we have eight offices in five states up to 1000 miles apart and only two full time IT staff. As you've pointed out though licensing is the big drawback but if you're in a position to go all Meraki all the way like we did, it can work quite well. I'd never run it in a full blown enterprise situation but if you fit the intended audience for their stuff it's quite nice.

Advanced security licensing is ridiculous though last I checked.

Edit yeah the support site has example configs for ASAs... using ASDM! :rolleyes:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 6, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Clark2 posted:

We currently have 4 remote locations that we're trying to 'bring into the fold' as it were. The locations all have 1-2 PCs each and standard residential cable internet access. We would like to be able to: setup a VPN, deploy a single VOIP phone at each location, manage the network, provide some protection (IDS/IPS, content filtering) and have some monitoring and reporting capabilities. To this end, we're looking at Meraki gear. It looks like we would need a Z1 at each of the remote sites, and then something like an MX64 back at our main location.
Anyone here have any experience with this setup and Meraki gear in general? I know that they pretty much turn to bricks if you dont keep them licensed, but it's not really my money and they look like they'll do everything we're looking for.

One of my subordinates from a remote office bought the Merakis when I specifically told him not to... they are expensive as gently caress but yeah I guess they'll work and they have some little remote-worker-vpn kits.

The other thing is they upsold him on some loving Meraki security router too, and he disconnected my precious Peplink which does a whole bunch of things better than Cisco could dream of.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Clark2 posted:

That should work fine, we use Z1 for some of our teleworker setups with an MX80 back at HQ. Only annoying thing is that the Z1 had no PoE for voip phones. :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

That should work fine, we use Z1 for some of our teleworker setups with an MX80 back at HQ. Only annoying thing is that the Z1 had no PoE for voip phones. :(

This.

We have about 10 smaller remote sites connected via Meraki VPN. It is boring how simple it is. We also are running Meraki APs and access layer switches everywhere else. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions Mr Clark.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Moey posted:

This.

We have about 10 smaller remote sites connected via Meraki VPN. It is boring how simple it is. We also are running Meraki APs and access layer switches everywhere else. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions Mr Clark.

Do you know if the Z1 will do site to site VPN to non-Meraki gear? We currently have a Watchguard at our corporate HQ and I'm thinking of rolling out the Z1 to our small branch offices. I know that the MX stuff will do it, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to get one of those at HQ just to handle the VPNs or if the Watchguard will be able to link up with them. Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get one and give it a try
https://meraki.cisco.com/form/trial

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone have any cool ideas or good resources for things I can try and do in Office 365's sharepoint? I've never used it before and my impression is that it's just a big scary CMS, is that about right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should avoid using SharePoint where at all possible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Why? It's one MS server product I haven't gotten into myself yet.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I heard bad things about skype for business too but after how easy it was for me to set up office 365 for it I feel inspired.

I'm sure it's not that bad

:kiddo:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a fan of SharePoint, but it does get a bad wrap from terrible installations and people trying to make it do poo poo it wasn't designed to do.

A proper install, and using it for it's designed purposes, it's not that bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any time you look at the Office 365 portal you can guarantee SharePoint will be yellow. In 2016 it still only really works properly in IE. One of the IT ranting threads had a bit about the database schema in it and how it's horrifically designed.

If you just want a document store then wait until the consumer OneDrive sync engine rolls into team sites.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm more interested in on prem Sharepoint, we can't use cloud stuff here. Same issues?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'd like to hear an answer to the actual question. Yes Sharepoint is scary but it's also everywhere with 365. What's some good usage examples?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can build document workflows in it, integrate it with Office and use it as an alternative to keeping things like HR policy documentation in folder shares and having to name things "v4 NEW.docx" since it does versioning etc. for you.

I'm sure well thought out and implemented SharePoint installations do exist, it's just that I've only ever seen bad ones.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure well thought out and implemented SharePoint installations do exist

I'm not as sure

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Most things SharePoint does, other products do better. What's your goal? That may be a better starting point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most things SharePoint does, other products do better. What's your goal? That may be a better starting point.

I dunno, just brainstorming. Document collaboration, change tracking, versioning, must be on prem. Not sure what else. SharePoint sounds great on paper, but yeah like I said no real experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Confluence?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SharePoint seems to play really really nice (on paper) with everything AD and Windows-related which is a big bonus for a Windows shop. I've heard good things about Confluence too though, good suggestion.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Swink posted:

I'd like to hear an answer to the actual question. Yes Sharepoint is scary but it's also everywhere with 365. What's some good usage examples?

An entire Corporate Intranet.

The best example I saw was a manufacturing company that pulled live production data and put it into a nice dashboard. It pulled data from HR so if there was a problem it'd show which manager was in charge, their number and changed with their shifts.

Sharepoint isn't bad but there's a ton of technical overhead and quickly becomes a full-time job.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Do you know if the Z1 will do site to site VPN to non-Meraki gear? We currently have a Watchguard at our corporate HQ and I'm thinking of rolling out the Z1 to our small branch offices. I know that the MX stuff will do it, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to get one of those at HQ just to handle the VPNs or if the Watchguard will be able to link up with them. Thanks.

Yes they can connect to non-Meraki VPN peers. I have not done any testing (as we use all Meraki gear for VPN tunnels), but looking at the config section on the Z1 (as well as other Meraki firewalls), it seems pretty straight forward.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

SharePoint seems to play really really nice (on paper) with everything AD and Windows-related which is a big bonus for a Windows shop. I've heard good things about Confluence too though, good suggestion.

Permissions on documents are still a huge clusterfuck, templating doesn't really exist, the web based editor would have been somewhat decent in 2010, the search is bad on good days, and terrible as soon as something permission based breaks down - which is like two weeks after you go in production with a Sharepoint site.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

peak debt posted:

Permissions on documents are still a huge clusterfuck, templating doesn't really exist, the web based editor would have been somewhat decent in 2010, the search is bad on good days, and terrible as soon as something permission based breaks down - which is like two weeks after you go in production with a Sharepoint site.

It sounds like your SharePoint admin is has no clue what he's doing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

It sounds like your SharePoint admin is has no clue what he's doing.

In my experience, most Sharepoint admins fall into the job and have no clue what they're doing.

Ours did :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

So how is it being a SharePoint admin?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Moey posted:

So how is it being a SharePoint admin?

Thank loving god it's not me.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

It's me, and it sucks. Fortunately it's not terribly mission critical and is really just kind of a basic staff intranet/document repository. SP 2010 was installed back in the day by some guys that no longer work here, and was never cared for or very well documented. The servers were P2V'd at some point, and when I came on board the MSI installers of sharepoint were somehow corrupt and won't accept sharepoint Windows Updates or sharepoint service packs. The Metalogix migration expert tool seems to work fairly well for stripping out the good data and discarding all the custom-form detritus, so the plan is to migrate the data to Sharepoint 2016 whenever it releases. Can't wait! :downs:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Happy Badlock day

Just a little over an hour until we know how much scotch we're going to need today :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Number19 posted:

Happy Badlock day

Just a little over an hour until we know how much scotch we're going to need today :shepface:

oh boy oh boy oh boy

:shepicide:

Wonder if Microsoft will actually drop a patch on/before they disclose.