Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Khizan posted:

It doesn't, you would have been. That series went downhill after the first book and fast.

I quite like the Alloy of law, when allomancy gets nerfed.

By the way, there is the first chapter of Alloy of Law 2 (Shadows of Self) and a new cosmere book, Sixth of the Dusk up on brandonsanderson.com.

Shadows of Self spoilers - the book Ironeyes gives Marisi turns out to be written by him, and is about Hemalurgy and how he kept it alive. He also says it is good now, because Sazed is Ruin. Sazed changed Allomancy (specifically, snapping) to be less lethal, maybe he also changed Hemalurgy to not require a death?

EDIT: Oh and Legion 2

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just finished the first book of Mistborn. Are you saying that I should just stop now? I really liked the first one though....

The second book is basically the first half of Captain America 2 up until he discovers that Hydra infiltrated and controls SHIELD. It's one long buildup for a reveal that retroactively makes a lot of stuff awesome. The third book is sort of a culmination of everything and it does tie everything up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I quite like the Alloy of law, when allomancy gets nerfed.

By the way, there is the first chapter of Alloy of Law 2 (Shadows of Self) and a new cosmere book, Sixth of the Dusk up on brandonsanderson.com.

Shadows of Self spoilers - the book Ironeyes gives Marisi turns out to be written by him, and is about Hemalurgy and how he kept it alive. He also says it is good now, because Sazed is Ruin. Sazed changed Allomancy (specifically, snapping) to be less lethal, maybe he also changed Hemalurgy to not require a death?

EDIT: Oh and [url="https://''http://brandonsanderson.com/legion-skin-deep/"]Legion 2 [/url]

I think it's spook, actually. The writing style doesn't sound like Marsh

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Ah, yeah, that tone is not really like Marsh. It was the 'knowing what I know', that made me think it was him - of all people alive I'd expect him to know the most about Hemalurgy, with the obvious exception being Sazed. If it is Spook, how does he know so much about it?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I just got the feeling that Marsh is just a really bad writer. Or he has severe social anxiety after a few hundred years of deification.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Ah, yeah, that tone is not really like Marsh. It was the 'knowing what I know', that made me think it was him - of all people alive I'd expect him to know the most about Hemalurgy, with the obvious exception being Sazed. If it is Spook, how does he know so much about it?

We could presume that Sazed was much more vocal immediately after his ascension? He spoke to Spook when he made him a mistborn and then there is a big gap until alloy of law during which time Spook unites the land and becomes Lord Mistborn. He likely learnt a lot either from Marsh or Sazed himself during that time.

Gadani
Oct 19, 2005
I really loved how, in Alloy of Law, Spook's eastern street slang is the "high imperial" language.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just finished Words of Radiance does anyone feel a bit robbed at the end So Kaladin and Shallon spend the whole book not telling each other about their powers and when it is revealed at the end they skip over the initial conversation and discussion about it to like 10 days later. I wanted her to meet Syl and the such.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Dravs posted:

We could presume that Sazed was much more vocal immediately after his ascension? He spoke to Spook when he made him a mistborn and then there is a big gap until alloy of law during which time Spook unites the land and becomes Lord Mistborn. He likely learnt a lot either from Marsh or Sazed himself during that time.

Plus spook spent (Hero of ages spoiler)half the book with a hemalurgic spike giving him pewter powers.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Victorkm posted:

Plus spook spent (Hero of ages spoiler)half the book with a hemalurgic spike giving him pewter powers.

Thats true, but (mistborn book 3 spoilers)having a spike in you doesn't mean you know all about Hemalurgy, which at one point Sazed says 'the key to hemalurgy is knowing where to put the spike, and there are several hundred bind points and many, many more combinations of bind points, not to mention spike metals, the powers of the victim, etc.. I still think that Marsh and Sazed will know the most about hemalurgy with Spook only as a distant third, unless he learnt after hero of ages

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's an Altered Perspectives preview chapter!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I have the impression that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Hemalurgy, considering how Sanderson keeps throwing hints about not only it's return in the Mistborn world, but it showing up on other worlds altogether. Some sort of big bad could easily do very, very, bad things with both access to Hemalurgy and access to all the worlds (and magic) in the universe. Even stuff that isn't just flat out stealing abilities, too - there's probably a lot of nasty things you can do when stealing physical or mental traits from people, beyond the hybrids in the Mistborn world. Perhaps you could even steal bodies - just flat out staple one person's personality/soul/whatever into another.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I think its also been mentioned that Hemalurgy can steal other forms of power other than the metallic arts, so chances are were going to see a evil version of Hoid with all the magics ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wolpertinger posted:

I have the impression that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Hemalurgy, considering how Sanderson keeps throwing hints about not only it's return in the Mistborn world, but it showing up on other worlds altogether. Some sort of big bad could easily do very, very, bad things with both access to Hemalurgy and access to all the worlds (and magic) in the universe. Even stuff that isn't just flat out stealing abilities, too - there's probably a lot of nasty things you can do when stealing physical or mental traits from people, beyond the hybrids in the Mistborn world. Perhaps you could even steal bodies - just flat out staple one person's personality/soul/whatever into another.

One of the wacky theories floating around about Taln is that's precisely what's happened. Also there's a bit where Hoid's talking about tearing a person apart and putting him back together, I forget the exact quote, somewhere in Way of Kings.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

api call girl posted:

One of the wacky theories floating around about Taln is that's precisely what's happened. Also there's a bit where Hoid's talking about tearing a person apart and putting him back together, I forget the exact quote, somewhere in Way of Kings.

It's during Wits conversation with Dalinar at the feast when Wit mentions the name Adonalsium

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

api call girl posted:

... :allears: Hemalurgic frankenstein Steel Inquisitor Adonalsium. Staple all the shards together again. That would be quite the terrifying evil plan.

If the shard is splintered and spread out among all the people on a planet? Staple every living thing on the planet together :unsmigghh:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 20, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

... :allears: Hemalurgic frankenstein Steel Inquisitor Adonalsium. Staple all the shards together again. That would be quite the terrifying evil plan.

If the shard is splintered and spread out among all the people on a planet? Staple every living thing on the planet together :unsmigghh:.

I wonder what happens when you stab a Shard (like Odium, for instance) with an Atium hemalurgic spike?
Maybe that's why the stormfather wants Dalinar to force Odium to choose a champion...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I wonder what happens when you stab a Shard (like Odium, for instance) with an Atium hemalurgic spike?
Maybe that's why the stormfather wants Dalinar to force Odium to choose a champion...

It's apparently possible, but you'd need a spike the size of a planet.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

This is Sanderson, I'm expecting the cosmere timeline to accelerate until the heroes use a faster than light spaceship to drive a Jupiter sized atium spike through the big bad shard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm about 60% of the way through the second Mistborn book and man has this thing been a huge drag. Like the whole book has been them sitting around doing almost nothing. I'm so close to just dropping this series right here and now.

Please tell me SOMETHING happens to make this book worthwhile soon.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm about 60% of the way through the second Mistborn book and man has this thing been a huge drag. Like the whole book has been them sitting around doing almost nothing. I'm so close to just dropping this series right here and now.

The ending picks up quickly, like all Sanderson novels, and then the next two Mistborn books are better and awesome, respectively. If that's not enough to keep you reading through another 50 - 100 pages, then Brandon probably isn't for you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The second book picks up near the end. The third book is pretty good too, so it's completely worth finishing to get to the third book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nitrousoxide posted:

The ending makes up for it.

As for me, I've just finished Words of Radiance and I can't really wait to see what happens next. As always, the battles were great and I don't think Eshonai actually died either.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

This is Sanderson, I'm expecting the cosmere timeline to accelerate until the heroes use a faster than light spaceship to drive a Jupiter sized atium spike through the big bad shard.

Man if he moved on from ye olde fantasy to modern to space opera within the same universe with all the magic kept the same then that would be awesome. (EDIT: He needs to bring out those second and third mistborn trilogies already)

I really don't like static technological advance in fantasy novels, it's way too contrived.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 21, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Xachariah posted:

Man if he moved on from ye olde fantasy to modern to space opera within the same universe with all the magic kept the same then that would be awesome.

I really don't like static technological advance in fantasy novels, it's way too contrived.

As far as I understand, that's exactly what he plans to do with the Mistborn series. Alloy of Law was supposed to just be a bridge to a "modern" trilogy, but it's getting a sequel.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Xachariah posted:

Man if he moved on from ye olde fantasy to modern to space opera within the same universe with all the magic kept the same then that would be awesome.

Yeah that would be awesome it's a good thing that's the plan for mistborn then with the current Victorian/western stop off added on.

^this is the only time your going to beat me.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I remember reading one of the book signing questions that asked (Mistborn spoilers) 'if Harmony is just preserving the status quo, wouldn't that unbalance the Ruin/Preservation balance?'
To which the answer was 'Yeah, I wonder what Sazed is doing with all the rest of Ruins power?' - making a giant spaceship sized Atium spike, of course!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly? The second book is by far the weakest of the three. I mean, it's okay, it's just not great. And frankly, I don't see how it really had a chance; the first novel is just such a thrill ride as they plan the heist and set about making it happen, there's going to be a natural letdown as the second book has to focus more on "okay, we won, now how do we set up a new government and get our poo poo together?" I also particularly hate that two of my favorites from the original crew die.

The third book is good, much better than the second, and somewhat redeems the series. Just grin and bear it and finish the second book so you can make sense of the third.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Then you move on to the next book which combines :science: + :clint: and it becomes awesome again.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Kraps posted:

Then you move on to the next book which combines :science: + :clint: and it becomes awesome again.

I've never understood why more authors haven't done fantasy westerns. It seems like such an untapped market.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, I finished the second book and overall it wasn't worth the slog. The book could have had about 300 to 400 pages chopped out without loosing anything. However the twist was good enough and it leaves the universe in a state that seems like the next one could be good.

The first sentence of the next book, at least, gives it some velocity that seems like it will be better.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, I finished the second book and overall it wasn't worth the slog. The book could have had about 300 to 400 pages chopped out without loosing anything. However the twist was good enough and it leaves the universe in a state that seems like the next one could be good.

The first sentence of the next book, at least, gives it some velocity that seems like it will be better.

I felt the same way about book 2, but thought book 3 was really exciting pretty much the whole way through. Stick with it!

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

I've never understood why more authors haven't done fantasy westerns. It seems like such an untapped market.
Fantasy Heist seems like a rare combination too, for that matter. There probably are a few besides The Final Empire, but I can't think of any.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quantum Toast posted:

Fantasy Heist seems like a rare combination too, for that matter. There probably are a few besides The Final Empire, but I can't think of any.

Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quantum Toast posted:

Skin Game in about 5 days.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

computer parts posted:

Skin Game in about 5 days.

I seriously can't wait.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora

Yeah Lies is good, but I heard he gets away from the heist part in later books, so I've held off on reading them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think a lot of that is because Westerns were ridiculously huge sixty years ago until they absolutely burned out. TV, movies, radio drama and books were absolutely saturated by Western fiction and taste really just cycled to the standards we're familiar with.

A ton of old Western stuff is (racist) fantasy at its core with magical natives and everything.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah Lies is good, but I heard he gets away from the heist part in later books, so I've held off on reading them.

Not really. Book two is them as pirates, book three is them as political rabble rousers. It's all pretty heisty and decently written.

Some goons get all spergy about the love story aspects, but it's far more a knee jerk reaction to Locke being dumb about it than it is a valid criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Ugh I'm just over half way through and I'm just not enjoying the new Stormlight book. I'm finding it unbelievably slow. I'm just skipping 3 pages at a time until something interesting happens. Pretty much any time Kaladin is just hangin out with his bridge buddies gets skipped all the way through. I don't feel like I'm missing much.

EDIT: Not trying to be a total downer, I really like the world he created and that keeps me going I just feel at least the first half of the book could have been condensed a lot.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 23, 2014