Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

idonotlikepeas posted:

Who is this white haired lady anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

pandaK posted:

I think her name is Tea, she shows up sometimes in bonus pages and lets people know if there's a story break coming up (stuff like city face).

EDIT: While she appears to be student, I don't believe she's shown up in canon. She's aware that there's an audience, but then again, the first chapter has Annie narrating a bit.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 22, 2012

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Wow, what a huge load of avatars. I love it.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Taken:

I think this one is available, actually, unless I missed something.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dodgeball posted:

I think her name is Tea, she shows up sometimes in bonus pages and lets people know if there's a story break coming up (stuff like city face).

EDIT: While she appears to be student, I don't believe she's shown up in canon. She's aware that there's an audience, but then again, the first chapter has Annie narrating a bit.

Yeah I don't think she's an actual character in the story, more like someone Tom uses to talk with the audience at various intervals.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Dodgeball posted:

She's kind of the comic's mascot, I guess? That's the way it seems to me.

I like how Tom just uses the Formspring to evade questions, like this exchange:
Is ether and magic a secret to everyone outside the court? If so then wouldn't pointy ears attract unwanted attention? Also some of the beings with powers don't seem to care what they do or who sees.
It's a funny story actually...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pandaK posted:

I remember reading a few years back, in /co/ I think, that she was a character Tom used to draw in old comics/illustrations here on SA. I remember seeing some images, too; she used to look a bit like an Ah My Goddess character, but that was way back then. Not too sure about most of this though and, since archive searching is a non-existing feature (thanks, radium!), I can't dig the stuff on my own. But hey, trivia! Somewhat!

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm not replacing Basil, but if I was this would be the one I'd pick, so someone go ahead and make good use of it.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
^^^^If I could think of a good way to combine it with one of Kate Beaton's Nancy Drew comics, I would totally grab it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

If I could think of a good way to combine it with one of Kate Beaton's Nancy Drew comics, I would totally grab it

Crop properly, animate into GIF, sucess.

vvvv it's supposed to be a looping sequence.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 22, 2012

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
The second one would be good with that av I think.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I had a similar concept, but with a different comic.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

^^^Were you planning on taking it? I don't want to step on any toes

I ended up putting this together. Any thoughts? Probably doesn't need title text, right?

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 22, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

idonotlikepeas posted:

If I hadn't bought an avatar yet, I'd grab this one in a heartbeat because this is the best thing.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Zeeman posted:

I ended up putting this together. Any thoughts? Probably doesn't need title text, right?

I could see something like "The Mystery at the Moss-Covered Mansion" for text but it works just as well on its own.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Lord, no, that one was for you. :) Yours is cool; go for it.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

My husband made this one for me... I'm not sure about the proportions but it seemed to be the only way to get just Reynardine and his speech bubble.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Huzzah! Success! :)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Man, that's a pretty unbeatable webcomic combo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

What pages do these two come from? Also, would Diet Conan Doyle or somebody animate them in that back and forth blur style?

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006
Goon Through Charity (And Don't I Forget It)

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What pages do these two come from? Also, would Diet Conan Doyle or somebody animate them in that back and forth blur style?

They are from here and here, respectively.

I know someone asked before in this thread how you update your avatar and keep your gang tag. Did anyone ever answer that? Because I like my tag, and wish to keep it if I decide to get a GC avatar. Is it just a matter of including the HTML, or will that get stripped out?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I was trying to animate the second one a while ago, but I'm bad at animation and couldn't get the file size small enough.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Something like this?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Phil Resch posted:

I know someone asked before in this thread how you update your avatar and keep your gang tag. Did anyone ever answer that? Because I like my tag, and wish to keep it if I decide to get a GC avatar. Is it just a matter of including the HTML, or will that get stripped out?

You just get the direct link to the tag image and put it in [img][/img] tags in the description box.

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006

Nondevor posted:

You just get the direct link to the tag image and put it in [timg][/timg] tags in the description box.

All right. If I can decide on an avatar, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Something like this?
I think Esme meant an animation that goes up on the same page, showing ghost Jeanne with her sword in the heart, rather than showing the golem-robot heart.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Kgummy posted:

I think Esme meant an animation that goes up on the same page, showing ghost Jeanne with her sword in the heart, rather than showing the golem-robot heart.

Yeah, but that's the one IAmYourHeart wanted. Mine was just for fun :)

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Is this what you wanted, IAmYourHeart?

And some others I made:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

idonotlikepeas posted:

Something like this?

Yes, exactly. And now for a quote...maybe "It's beautiful...but what is it for?" Any other suggestions?

Edit for kgummy: I already thought about this, but I'm not sure emo song lyrics are that great...

My heart is yours
to fill or burst
to break or bury
or wear as jewelry
whichever you prefer
(Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 23, 2012

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well, since the sworded heart image looks like an amulet cropped like that, perhaps something like "My heart, for you to wear."?

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.

Phil Resch posted:

They are from here and here, respectively.

What is the symbol by Kat on the second page for?

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Number 169 posted:

I believe Tom mentioned somewhere that he made up the design to represent her, sort of how he uses symbols of alchemy to represent other characters. It might have to do with how it looks like the wire of an incandescent lightbulb, like in this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=757

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006

Number 169 posted:

Two of Tom's own formspring answers related to Kat's symbol:
http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/210365384
http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/1084622658

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Number 169 posted:

In addition to being reminiscent of an incandescent lamp filament, it's in the shape of a face - the pointy bit is the nose and the horizontal line and the big arc at the bottom form a big happy mouth.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yes, exactly. And now for a quote...maybe "It's beautiful...but what is it for?" Any other suggestions?

Edit for kgummy: I already thought about this, but I'm not sure emo song lyrics are that great...

My heart is yours
to fill or burst
to break or bury
or wear as jewelry
whichever you prefer
(Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional)

If you're thinking song lyrics, you could try something from this song.

I like the "what is it for" quote, though.

e: Or you could listen to it instead of going to a random lyric site, I guess.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2012

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Figured I'd join the avatar fun, I'm hoping that Reynard plushies of this form are put up for sale sometime.

Edit: Zenzirouj, you know you can make the background of your avatar transparent?

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 23, 2012

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Somehow I doubt that the big worm slug monster is going to be as friendly as the big crustacean monsters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You go and summon that Shoggoth, Blue. Why the hell not.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ephphatha posted:

Edit: Zenzirouj, you know you can make the background of your avatar transparent?

Yeah, this one got bought for me when I lamented its loss when another person (who also had it bought for him, I think) replaced it. He's pretty adorable so I decided to keep it. It's getting close to time to retire him, though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Blue, boring stunts like these are why you're always going to be second-best friend!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't even understand why this is fun to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Envy is the oldest, most primary of emotions. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Which is why I can't wait for Wednesday :allears: