Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sbt hypothetically has proxy support, but plugins p. much never do

mvn supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its kind of baffling how many programs microsoft or 3rd party will look at internet explorer's settings and use those or w/e and handle proxies with no issues and then current-gen visual studio, which i would expect to be a relatively important piece of microsoft's enterprise offerings, completely fails to handle it in any way. the sign-in functionality? nope! can't find the server! nuget? completely broken. what a mess.

opt
Oct 10, 2007
So what does maven get me over gradle...at my current work we just have a task that runs all your tests and then publishes the jar/war to artifactory and is relatively simple so it suits our needs.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CPColin posted:

raise your hand if you love it when Eclipse hangs for several minutes when you ask it to refactor the name of a private static field!

i used to run five eclipses on a machine with three gigs of ram

yes i loved it because the lengthy stalls would happen three or four times per hour and every one was a potential tea break

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

opt posted:

So what does maven get me over gradle...at my current work we just have a task that runs all your tests and then publishes the jar/war to artifactory and is relatively simple so it suits our needs.

if that's all you're doing, you're fine with either. it's really not a holy-war-level argument (or it shouldn't be, anyway)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

opt posted:

tbj i have not tried gradle. i have been burnt p. good by sbt and scons so i just tend to look askance at using a program to build the code for my program.

maven and ant have the advantage that the build files are (supposed to be) just dumb documents. they are explicitly not meant to be code. if you want code in your build process, you write a plugin and configure it in the document

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maven and ant have the advantage that the build files are (supposed to be) just dumb documents. they are explicitly not meant to be code. if you want code in your build process, you write a plugin and configure it in the document

this is the key difference. maven and ant have higher barriers to customization, while gradle/sbt/scons make it much easier to do whatever you want. there is certainly a solid argument that can be made in favor of the higher barriers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the flipside is that they're really painful to troubleshoot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

good news: I have an interview at an ASP.net/C#/vb.net place for a babby level programmer position

bad news: I know MVC but not ASP and C# but not vb.net

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Luigi Thirty posted:

good news: I have an interview at an ASP.net/C#/vb.net place for a babby level programmer position

bad news: I know MVC but not ASP and C# but not vb.net

you know the better parts, then

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im thinking about either using angular.js to do..something, or playing around with djangocms

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

prefect posted:

you know the better parts, then

As I am not a corporation I have not deigned myself to the level of VB.net, no

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Valeyard posted:

angular.js

been working at a company that uses it for a few months and it's pretty cool and easy to pick up and do things pretty quickly

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HTML5 posted:

been working at a company that uses it for a few months and it's pretty cool and easy to pick up and do things pretty quickly

do you know what kind of things they do with it specifically? im trying to get an idea of how complicated you could get with it. i ran through the first set of tutorials on their site earlier and it seemed pretty interesting, ill finish them up soon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i found angular extraordinarily confusing but that's probably because i skimmed the tutorial for 5 minutes and then started trying to do stuff with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

this is the key difference. maven and ant have higher barriers to customization, while gradle/sbt/scons make it much easier to do whatever you want. there is certainly a solid argument that can be made in favor of the higher barriers

with maven, if someone gets clever it means the product is garbage. with gradle/sbt, if someone gets clever it means the product is a different kind of garbage with each build

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

with maven, if someone gets clever it means the product is garbage. with gradle/sbt, if someone gets clever it means the product is a different kind of garbage with each build

read this post carefully

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CPColin posted:

raise your hand if you love it when Eclipse hangs for several minutes when you ask it to refactor the name of a private static field!

VS has the same issue if you accidentally Go To Definition on a member that is declared inside the .NET sources

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

its kind of baffling how many programs microsoft or 3rd party will look at internet explorer's settings and use those or w/e and handle proxies with no issues and then current-gen visual studio, which i would expect to be a relatively important piece of microsoft's enterprise offerings, completely fails to handle it in any way. the sign-in functionality? nope! can't find the server! nuget? completely broken. what a mess.

I'm not on that project anymore, but nuget worked fine behind the lovely corporate proxy last time I tried

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
sometimes i have network problems where skype will work fine but i cant connect to any website, is this something to do with skype using udp while loading up sites is tcp?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

sometimes i have network problems where skype will work fine but i cant connect to any website, is this something to do with skype using udp while loading up sites is tcp?

what dns server are you using?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

what dns server are you using?

thats a good question, i normally just leave it at default settings but ive also had it set to googles in the past, dns problems would make sense

it hasnt happaned for a while now, its something i remembered and was curious about

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also codeschool seems really nice

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

tbh i wish maven had a "run until the artifacts converge" command. too many modules, too many maven-shade-plugin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

tbh i wish maven had a "run until the artifacts converge" command. too many modules, too many maven-shade-plugin

subprojects have never worked in any build system

uber-jars are bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

I'm not on that project anymore, but nuget worked fine behind the lovely corporate proxy last time I tried

idk it seems incapable of figuring out our proxy.pac or something

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

subprojects have never worked in any build system

uber-jars are bad

for once the build problems aren't my fault. except for maybe the uberjars, i don't recall. and i'm not impressed by onejar or capsule

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

idk it seems incapable of figuring out our proxy.pac or something

ahh that might be it, I'm pretty sure we used a static proxy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay so they went from "what is your interview availability" to "position on hold, we'll get back to you in a few weeks". fuk now I'm all depressed again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay so they went from "what is your interview availability" to "position on hold, we'll get back to you in a few weeks". fuk now I'm all depressed again

it's not about you

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not about you

wait isn't that what you say when it really is them???

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yo so how do i know when javascript will reflow/redraw/rere whatever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

you don't, its up to the browser

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

you mean detect changes to the DOM?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FamDav posted:

you don't, owned

e: oh i guess someone answered that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Valeyard posted:

you mean detect changes to the DOM?

just because the DOM doesn't change doesn't mean the browser won't reflow. and just because the DOM changes doesn't mean a reflow will happen. to get that level of awareness and control over the interface you'd have to make a legacy deprecated obsolete desktop app and who's willing to do that? this is web 42.0 (moved to semi-monthly releases in 2013)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
no i mean like lets say i do some some poo poo like

$(selector).removeClass(class0).addClass(class1)

can i make any guarantees on the page never showing those elements w/out class1 or what

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

haha you just said "guarantee" while talking about the web

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

no i mean like lets say i do some some poo poo like

$(selector).removeClass(class0).addClass(class1)

can i make any guarantees on the page never showing those elements w/out class1 or what

why would you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. that is from the jquery documentation. the web is so bad.

• Locked thread