Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
last night, i cleaned out one of the walk-ins and did a little reorganizing before i left. took out one of the dough racks to do it, and then put it back when i was done... or so i thought

woke up at noon with this picture on my phone also death threats from the baker.

oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Vorenus posted:

On top of this, we have people handling ready-to-eat foods barehanded, in one case at least thirty minutes after last washing their hands; panning up food barehanded, using a ladle, licking their finger halfway through because they got food on it; dirty dish sink sprayed out with tap water so it can be used for an ice bath; food dumped in a sink for an ice bath, and the person got distracted so hey that hot food just kinda sat there with no ice or water for four hours.

This all in the past two weeks. All fully in the awareness of the store manager.

Can't call corporate, because I'd likely lose my job. I could reach out anonymously but even if it couldn't be proven it would be easily traced back to me. There's no sense in calling the health department because we've easily passed all our inspections and the only things we really get dinged on are the inane things Steritech pulls out of their rear end to justify existing as a company. I'm at a loss.

What do I do, professional goons?
in all honesty, you leave.
i find that culture like that almost lives within the walls. or its passed down from crew to crew over time particularly when 'head chef' is passed down through the ranks... poor kitchen culture is pretty difficult to turn around short of the owner having an epiphany, replacing the head chef, and possibly even letting all the staff go.
have you talked to the head chef about this? or the gm if thats appropriate?
if your gm doesnt care and you arent in a position of influence, the only thing you can really do is hate your job more and more every day until you finally find the place so emotionally draining and defeating that you leave.

twotimer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 20, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you've got an old as gently caress Hobart, dry ice works great for quick ice cream. Preferably one of the 40-60qt floor models with 3+ HP motors.

God I miss that mixer.

The sole and only thing out of that bakery I miss at home.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Nope. Get out. Best thing I ever did after a decade or so.

This. It's been a year and a half now and I finally baked something this week without hating myself.

Don't go back to work. Just accept your losses and walk away. That baker is going to flat out murder you.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 20, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vorenus posted:

We had a girl get injured through no fault of her own, needed a few hours of ER attention. Manager told her not to go through workers' comp on it. I personally would have filed and made sure to note that bit, but she didn't. So some poor girl who can barely afford driving a car is now in the hole to a hospital for a few hours of ER care because of a workplace injury that was in no way her fault and could not have been expected.

On top of this, we have people handling ready-to-eat foods barehanded, in one case at least thirty minutes after last washing their hands; panning up food barehanded, using a ladle, licking their finger halfway through because they got food on it; dirty dish sink sprayed out with tap water so it can be used for an ice bath; food dumped in a sink for an ice bath, and the person got distracted so hey that hot food just kinda sat there with no ice or water for four hours.

This all in the past two weeks. All fully in the awareness of the store manager.

Can't call corporate, because I'd likely lose my job. I could reach out anonymously but even if it couldn't be proven it would be easily traced back to me. There's no sense in calling the health department because we've easily passed all our inspections and the only things we really get dinged on are the inane things Steritech pulls out of their rear end to justify existing as a company. I'm at a loss.

What do I do, professional goons?

you make loving sure she lawyers up. There are entire gobs of employment lawyers just chomping at the bit to hear about her case. Most of them won't charge a dime unless they win a settlement or judgement on her behalf. Ask her for 10% for helping her out. ;)

Really though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

you make loving sure she lawyers up. There are entire gobs of employment lawyers just chomping at the bit to hear about her case. Most of them won't charge a dime unless they win a settlement or judgement on her behalf. Ask her for 10% for helping her out. ;)

Really though.

Yeah. Get her to lawyer the gently caress up and find a new job as soon as you can (which is not hard in this industry if you are at all competent or able to fake being competent for a week)

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
The last couple pages make me want to be a manager really bad.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I am a manager. You should be a manager. It's tons of fun.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Simoom posted:

The last couple pages make me want to be a manager really bad.

Speaking as a hated toady of the inscrutable whims of corporate: don't.

As a human, if a manager didn't immediately give someone a card with your company's health plan for the doctor to treat a work related injury, make sure she lawyers up, submit a witness statement to your general manager, document both things, and claim retaliation if you find yourself filing for unemployment as a result.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Better to be subject to the whims of corporate than to the whims of our impossibly malevolent creator. This weekend was the first time I ever had to physically will myself to not pass out. Understaffed and the kitchen was overly hot. I am not even being a baby, as everyone else not on salads or desserts admitted they almost passed out a minimum of three times. It is genuinely enjoyable to learn about how some people earn a living!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wouldn't mind my hot-as-gently caress kitchen at work if the other cooks would keep the drat cold stations shut when not in use. :argh:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah. Get her to lawyer the gently caress up and find a new job as soon as you can (which is not hard in this industry if you are at all competent or able to fake being competent for a week)

I didn't personally witness any of this.

And, despite being quite competent and skilled, this is not an area where people want to pay more for skill when they can cycle through dime-a-dozen "cooks" who think stickers should be left on hats and pants only come up to the bottom of the ballsack.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I am a manager. You should be a manager. It's tons of fun.

I mostly had fun as a manager until I saw ghost's post, which reminded me of the job that completely burned me out of the industry (which was good timing, I had just finished up college and needed to do something else anyway).

bloody ghost titty posted:

Speaking as a hated toady of the inscrutable whims of corporate: don't.

As a human, if a manager didn't immediately give someone a card with your company's health plan for the doctor to treat a work related injury, make sure she lawyers up, submit a witness statement to your general manager, document both things, and claim retaliation if you find yourself filing for unemployment as a result.

This brings up a good point - no matter how good a manager is, he can be handcuffed by corporate. I spent most of my time in the industry bartending/managing for one group of owners, until the last place I opened with them. A couple new owners were brought in, one of whom dealt only with food (I was bar/FOH side) that I barely interacted with, one who fancied herself to be a bar expert. She destroyed everything I enjoyed about bars. Some highlights:

- Forcing me to have inconsistent disciplinary policies depending on how much she liked particular servers
- Openly berating some staff in front of customers for not being able to read her mind on what she wanted
- Refusing to communicate when we had catering work that I was responsible for (as in, I was just expected to know it existed somehow)
- Forcing me to work with her preferred vendors, even though they charged more than others(her right as an owner, but don't take away my bargaining power by openly telling them at least)
- Refusing to believe that certain beers/wines weren't available in TX or were no longer produced and expecting me to "find them and get them"
- Moving employees from one restaurant to another with no notice and no changes reflected in the schedule - Oh hey, you needed 5 servers? Now you only have 2?

Christ I hated her. I'm not saying that this excuses your GM, Vorenus, I have no idea what corporate is like at your joint, but it is entirely possible for management to be underminded by owners. And it sucks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm totally sick in my stomach (queasy, shits, already puked once this morning). No idea if it's a bug or I ate something bad or what.

What's the protocol for this in the industry? Like, I don't want to handle clean plates (I'm sposed to be on that part of line at DFAC this afternoon) if I have a bug. "Army Strong" could quickly become "Army Wrong". Should I call in, or will I look like a pussy for calling in? help me industry thread

it's just a 3 hour shift, I'm thinking the boss can find someone to cover who might like some extra hours, but I'm the newest hire and don't want to look bad. But I also dont want to spread this funk on either staff or diners

going back to bed, please advise, thread, thank you sirs

edit: reminder that my job doesnt provide gloves, either I buy my own or yeah my germy hands are getting all up on your plate

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 20, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
On a moral and ethical level? Stay the gently caress home. Having you on shift is in no way worth giving norovirus or something else to the rest of the staff or god forbid the customers.

Your managers may be dicks about it, but please have a shred of professionalism and stay home.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm totally sick in my stomach (queasy, shits, already puked once this morning). No idea if it's a bug or I ate something bad or what.

What's the protocol for this in the industry? Like, I don't want to handle clean plates (I'm sposed to be on that part of line at DFAC this afternoon) if I have a bug. "Army Strong" could quickly become "Army Wrong". Should I call in, or will I look like a pussy for calling in? help me industry thread

it's just a 3 hour shift, I'm thinking the boss can find someone to cover who might like some extra hours, but I'm the newest hire and don't want to look bad. But I also dont want to spread this funk on either staff or diners

edit: reminder that my job doesnt provide gloves, either I buy my own or yeah my germy hands are getting all up on your plate

This industry really does something to the mind.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Ive always been told, "stay home if you're throwing up / having major gastrointestinal upsets" but have been threatened with my job when I follow through on it.

At every restaurant I've worked in, chain or no.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Doctors say I might have an inflammatory bowel disease so im never not making GBS threads my lungs out every morning but if you're throwing up, dont even think about going in. Dont even question it

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This where I tell you to tie up your bootstraps and get to work lady.

You can be vomiting and making GBS threads everywhere but you are going to work.

Also the dishes have been looking great. Good job.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
the condescending slow-pitch coach routine at the end of the awful advice really makes that a thing of beauty.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

they often say you have x number of sick days, its unsafe to come in sick, etc...
unless you are vomiting up blood, they will undoubtedly expect you to show up for work. thats not just management either. your coworkers likely expect it too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

virinvictus posted:

Ive always been told, "stay home if you're throwing up / having major gastrointestinal upsets" but have been threatened with my job when I follow through on it.

At every restaurant I've worked in, chain or no.

Not just food service, this is how it worked at every job I've ever had. They have all been retail/service-type gigs, though. :shepicide:

At my last job, we had a girl come in with strep and work an hour (touching and coughing in customer cars) before brandishing her doctor's note and asking to go home. We just stared at her all :psyduck: when the note came out. Turned out she'd called out that morning and our shitlord boss had said "Do you want to work here? You have to work an hour today to show us that you want this job, then I can let you go. And you'd better have a doctor's note!" She looked like hell, and the bug went all through the shop afterwards. gently caress the service industry.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Liquid Communism posted:

On a moral and ethical level? Stay the gently caress home. Having you on shift is in no way worth giving norovirus or something else to the rest of the staff or god forbid the customers.

Your managers may be dicks about it, but please have a shred of professionalism and stay home.

I'm new to the industry so all I have is mere shreds of professionalism, that's why I was asking how to handle this. :smith:

I called in. Feel like a right oval office for doing so only barely 2 months into the job.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gently caress that. Toughing it out when you're puking is for idiots. If your boss gives you poo poo, ask him or her how many people they want to get stomach flu or whatever. Especially since you dont get gloves.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I'm new to the industry so all I have is mere shreds of professionalism, that's why I was asking how to handle this. :smith:

I called in. Feel like a right oval office for doing so only barely 2 months into the job.

You don't call in for a headache or a hangover.

You DEFINITELY call in for blowing liquid out both sides of your body, no need to get other people sick.

Besides you're Union now, you are loving fine.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Yeah.....I didn't call in when I had pneumonia. Worked a clopen. One of thr line cooks found me passed out on the floor of the walkin, and dumped my rear end in cab to the er.

DO NOT DO IT

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You don't call in for a headache or a hangover.

You DEFINITELY call in for blowing liquid out both sides of your body, no need to get other people sick.

Besides you're Union now, you are loving fine.

I call in when I stub my toe, TYVM

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Christ I hated her. I'm not saying that this excuses your GM, Vorenus, I have no idea what corporate is like at your joint, but it is entirely possible for management to be underminded by owners. And it sucks.

That manager sounds worse than anything I've seen here or elsewhere. Wow.

Corporate is making things more difficult in many ways, but the vast majority of the issues are within the power of the GM to fix; he simply refuses to do so.

A Man and his dog posted:

This where I tell you to tie up your bootstraps and get to work lady.

You can be vomiting and making GBS threads everywhere but you are going to work.

Also the dishes have been looking great. Good job.

I was this close to defending you on the past three pages of people being overly hostile to you but wow, posting like this makes it really hard to make any excuses for ya. Also, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps originated as a phrase used to describe an impossible task so there's that too.

The better jobs I've worked have company policy that lists vomiting as one of several symptoms that mean you call in rather than coming in. In most (all?) states, if you are in a food-handling position and vomit on the clock, they are required by law to send you home.* If you're reporting vomiting and they demand you come in/stay, they either don't trust you or simply don't care about the health of their employees or guests.

OTOH, I have coworkers and managers who brag about having not called off a single time in 5/10 years to the point of missing family funerals in order to attend work. And these people think that this is a completely reasonable expectation, they actually take pride in the fact that they have missed funerals and the births of their children/grandchildren for the sake of an underpaying job in a soul-destroying industry.

Hats off to responsibility and sucking up a little bit of discomfort, and that's a completely reasonable expectation that more people could stand to adhere to. That said, my health, safety, and peace of mind are more important than the profits of a CEO who owns their own private jet and yacht. Far more important than someone missing out on the *****best $10 meal of their life***** because management is too incompetent to be prepared for the astronomically unlikely chance of a human being contracting a high-impact communicable illness.

* A neat trick is that at least in my experience, if you vomit on the clock they won't demand a doctor's note. So (completely hypothetically) you might accidentally choke on a knuckle and empty your stomach into a trash can, slide it over to your supervisor, and clock right on out while they realize they can't do a drat thing. Theoretically, of course.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 20, 2015

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Vorenus posted:

That manager sounds worse than anything I've seen here or elsewhere. Wow.

Corporate is making things more difficult in many ways, but the vast majority of the issues are within the power of the GM to fix; he simply refuses to do so.

In retrospect it was good in that it got me out of the industry. I miss certain parts of it dearly, but I'm probably happier and healthier now that I'm out. The funny part was that the same owner burned out my replacement in like 2 weeks. I don't think that partner has much to do with the operations side these days.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

If a manager is getting credit for loving around on the clock while you do their job for them, then by all metrics that Actually Matter to businessfolk they're a good manager. Turns out the bad guys won the cold war. Namaste.

This kinda got glossed over by the standard really hosed up poo poo continuing to happen in the restaurant industry, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this post. Also that you should call out sick when you are sick because the one, single solitary saving grace of the restaurant industry is that you can walk across the street and get a new job whenever you want.

e: and that if you still work in the restaurant industry, you should be doing your best to be no longer working in the restaurant industry.

e: and that I think a man and his dog is an alright dude who maybe works in restaurants a little too much, but is otherwise harmless if maybe a little clueless. Definitely tenacious though.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You know I was just joking right?!?!

Yeah don't go to work.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

If a manager is getting credit for loving around on the clock while you do their job for them, then by all metrics that Actually Matter to businessfolk they're a good manager. Turns out the bad guys won the cold war. Namaste.

As your manager, well yeah, GM isn't going to know how good of a job I do if I'm not constantly reminding him.

Now, go break down the salmon, they've been in there for two days and I've got to come up with another feature that won't sell.

I like to think I'm a good manager, but I genuinely like cooking/working and can't stand not working when I'm at work.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Any advice on compression socks?

I bought some new Sanita clogs and I guess they're too small... My last pair was a bitch to break in but once I did, was fantastic. These, my feet go numb or tingle after a while and swell badly. It's hard to gauge my foot size because I've gone from an 8.5 to a 10/10.5 in the last seven years. Buying shoes is a bitch, but I don't want to pay $70 extra to buy my sanitas in person.

Been wearing slipons/flats for the last week but due to long hours, I had cankles on cankles on cankles.

Suggestions? Shoes for crews are garbage and I took a nasty fall in them once so never again. Sketchers clogs break down too fast and don't support much. I can't wear crocs on the floor. Lots of the chefs wear Birkenstocks but I doubt they have enough support and are really ugly. I can't really wear full on boots everyday either.

I'm a female bar manager and our stairs get slippery easily, I work 13 hour days in a three story restaurant of 2-Michelin star/James Beard award level, so something within those parameters.

Help!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Danskos are pretty popular, I can't wear them because I have wide feet, and apparently the dutch have never heard of such a thing. Give those a try.

Red Wings are also a possibility, I went through 3 pair in a year, splitting the bottom of the sole 3 times at the steel toe. According to the sales rep, I probably shouldn't be on my feet 70 hours a week, but what does he know.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
You would think finding a host would be an easier thing to do, but probably 85% of the responses to the Craigslist ad hiring hosts/cashiers that we put up are aiming for the cashier position. And because it's Craigslist, I'm beginning to understand how high my standards apparently are.

Also as an assistant manager if you're sick I'm not going to make you come in, but if you're calling out sick 5 times in your first 6 weeks, we have clear issues.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lots of the chefs wear Birkenstocks but I doubt they have enough support and are really ugly. I can't really wear full on boots everyday either.

I'm a female bar manager and our stairs get slippery easily, I work 13 hour days in a three story restaurant of 2-Michelin star/James Beard award level, so something within those parameters.

Berkies are great and have TONS of support, actually, even with just the stock cork footboards. They'll never be pretty, but they're but at least they're unobtrusively clunky. Those ones also have a lot of toe-room and toe protection which is nice for a whole lot of reasons. They're also very very durable, extremely light, on sale frequently, and have some of the best tread I've ever had on footwear. Those alpros are also very reliably waterproof while not giving you trenchfoot for sweating like some Crocs brands I could name. They're also very easy to clean if you need to go from intensive mess to being presentable up front quickly. Berkies are very good shoes, is what I'm trying to say, here.

The only problem is The Berkie Marks on the tops of your feet as you break in a new pair (for real though, the cork footboards are a rock solid not-even-loving-around orthotic that'll correct the poo poo out of your step), but if you can tough that out for a week or two those go down and you're left with some cozy work shoes.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 21, 2015

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

I like to think I'm a good manager, but I genuinely like cooking/working and can't stand not working when I'm at work.

Corporate doesn't like supervisors and managers working the line, but when the executive chef or district manager isn't in, you know I already cut most of the fat in my kitchen so I can play too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You can't exchange the Sanitas for a larger size?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

virinvictus posted:

Corporate doesn't like supervisors and managers working the line, but when the executive chef or district manager isn't in, you know I already cut most of the fat in my kitchen so I can play too.
I try not to post on this thread since I'm a trench grunt in a white collar world, but I just want to say that any manager that keeps out the shitheels and isn't afraid to get their hands dirty is loving gold in my book.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I struggle like CdC with not just picking up the crates of liquor and taking them to the cage myself, or not standing on the floor all night: where I came up, you lead by example, and there is no job is ask staff to do that I wouldn't do. It's an adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A Man and his dog posted:

You know I was just joking right?!?!

Yeah don't go to work.

lmao

• Locked thread