Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We've had such a dry summer here, there hasn't been enough humidity to cause those evening thunderstorms. I kind of miss those :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone in the Calgary area know of this truck ? Thinking of purchasing. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1283941958&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b

My Ram 2500 Gasser is worth too much in depreciating equity to keep so I've listed it for sale. There is no satisfaction in maintaining a 4th gen Fiat ram gasjob, but a 1999 Powerstroke Ford ? I'd spit polish it's tailpipe with my tongue.

The bumper would fit right in at the Grande Prairie Walmart however I'd likely ditch it for a stock bumper.

Here is my kijijijiji ad for my truck. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1283813393&requestSource=b
I would sell it for cheaper as it takes a line of credit to keep the tank topped up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might be less stuff to rub on a 4wd, but those wheels are off of a 2011+ which have a different offset, so they are sitting 2 inches further in than they should. I had to put 2 inch spacers to run wheels with that offset, and everything's still like 1/2 an inch awayfrom rubbing everywhere. I'd imagine that truck can't turn at full lock.It's hard to gauge what it's like mechanically without driving it, which will obviously be harder from GP. There's a free pc program called forscan that works with the cheap ELM327 dongles that can do the cylinder contribution test, injector buzz test, and KOER and KOEO tests which can tell you a lot about what would immediately need to be done. Also, I think it's an early 99 based on the fender sticker, and they're sort of an oddball for a lot of things, It had different injectors, HPOP, turbo,

Also

quote:

Someone tried stealing truck but had no luck, so it will need ignition and door lock, active title, starts and drives.

I'm guessing they couldn't figure out the clutch interlock, but with the amount of damage the junkies did to mine when they stole it, it'll probably need a new steering column if you want the steering lock to release consistently because what they pry against to start it is a soft metal rack that also moves the bar out of the steering wheel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmmmm,

I was reading the 99 through 2001's are the powerstrokes to get because after 2001 they went with those powder connecting rods.

So is this motor considered a bad one ? I don't care about horsepower, just fuel mileage and reliability. I'll likely do a FoMoCo severe duty intake, and 4" exhaust + a dynomax muffler or something plus a gas mileage tune.

Also this specific one is from Calgary. 1/2 the reason I'm interested is the flat deck. I need one to haul my UTV as it's too wide/long for my 8'2" longbox.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's just as reliable, but you'll need specific parts to repair/tune it, and there's a lot less choice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well looks like here we go again after a few days reprieve.... at least the evenings are cooling down a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I may be purchasing the most stupid thing.

Flat deck truck for sale,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

Price: $ 6,000

Talked to the guy, never even had a chip on it. The f450's are detuned to 330hp/650ftlb torque. So I am planning on doing a full emissions delete and a chip with tow/economy mode. Also a full filter and fluid replacement. And try to find a buyer for that welders deck so I can build a light duty deck on it. It's rated for 24,500lb towing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ask for a pic of the door sticker. Some of those came with like 4.88 rear gears which means it's screaming at like 2800rpm on the highway. Most came with a 4.30 which still puts you at like 2300 which really kills fuel economy.

Otherwise if the engine really was replaced with new, it could be a smoking good deal. Especially if it actually was a new engine put in, and the mileage and hours are marked on the service order.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Ask for a pic of the door sticker. Some of those came with like 4.88 rear gears which means it's screaming at like 2800rpm on the highway. Most came with a 4.30 which still puts you at like 2300 which really kills fuel economy.

Otherwise if the engine really was replaced with new, it could be a smoking good deal. Especially if it actually was a new engine put in, and the mileage and hours are marked on the service order.

I read 4.88 and 4.30 were the only ly options. However I could toss in 3.55's in an afternoon. Id likely keep it for a long long time. I've only done 10,000km on my current pickup in over 3 years.

Edit: assuming that Dana 110 or whatever has a higher gear option.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 29, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would be really surprised if they made 3.55s for the 110.

A little lift and you could probably clear 295/75R22.5s that would gear the 4.30 down pretty good.....

...or maybe a little trimming and some 445/50R22.5s

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Well looks like here we go again after a few days reprieve.... at least the evenings are cooling down a bit.

It's really nice outside right now. Inside is still a boiling hell without end.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I would be really surprised if they made 3.55s for the 110.

A little lift and you could probably clear 295/75R22.5s that would gear the 4.30 down pretty good.....

...or maybe a little trimming and some 445/50R22.5s

Yeah did some searching, it's a Dana 110 and you can get a 3.73 for it, but a taller tire would probably be a better idea. They have 19.5" wheels stock, I wonder if I could just do taller tires without a lift.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

in 19.5" you basically have two choices for size, 225/70 and 245/70. Other sizes exist in theory but I've seen exactly one set in the real world that breaks this rule after a decade in the industry. That little 10 bolt pattern is a little tricky to find wheels for too, so you're likely stuck with an expensive unimount adapter if you wanna go 22.5, and hosed if I know what you'd do to go down in wheel size. Looks like a 255/70R22.5 might fit without a ton of headache.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I'm not sure yet. I gotta go check it out still. Also there is a Turbo Diesel smart car for sale, $2500. I feel these two vehicles in the driveway complete me. Also there is a loaded new Explorer but that's the old lady's. I don't touch it she gets confused operating the climate controls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

An honest 38C on the highway just outside Lethbridge today. Actually hovering around 38.5-39 for most of the short trip, but settled at 38 until I got home.

I was working outside in the yard most of the day, and helping a friend with their car the rest of the day that hasn't run for 4 years. :sweatdrop:

Checked the dipstick, didn't show anything. Tell him to go get some oil, comes back with 5L.. takes 4L before it shows on the bottom of the dipstick :stare:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So remember back in January or February I was sort of venting at how stupid this condo board/president was and gave an example of how he was clearing the parking lot of snow by running a bobcat back and forth real fast and was just parking it outside in visitor parking visible by a major road?

Well you won't believe what was stolen today in broad daylight with two women showing up with an open utility trailer and just driving it onto it and driving away because it's still been parked out in the open the past 6-7 months.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If only they hid the key or one of the other 10 million keys out there that start it.

I would imagine if you re-keyed your bobcat, you would foil 99/100 theft attempts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So remember back in January or February I was sort of venting at how stupid this condo board/president was and gave an example of how he was clearing the parking lot of snow by running a bobcat back and forth real fast and was just parking it outside in visitor parking visible by a major road?

Well you won't believe what was stolen today in broad daylight with two women showing up with an open utility trailer and just driving it onto it and driving away because it's still been parked out in the open the past 6-7 months.

On the plus side, you can get a new project car now because a visitor parking spot just opened up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So finally got around to fishing the point-and-shoot from the car and low and behold a couple of the shots turned out OK. Definitely has noise, but better than I expected. The video was better even if half of it was on the ground but seeing the dark/color change was incredible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is anybody in Calgary going to the Barlow pick n pull today? RX7 just got put out according to Row 52 and I wouldn't mind grabbing some minor bits.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Is anybody in Calgary going to the Barlow pick n pull today? RX7 just got put out according to Row 52 and I wouldn't mind grabbing some minor bits.

I can't go today but I might be able to find time to go with you this weekend.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya no worries, was just thinking if somebody was already there before the vultures descended it'd same me a trip.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Be aware that this weekend is 50% off public weekend for Labour Day.

If you go, one of you is a dedicated war photographer slash toolguard. May the Brap bless you and watch over you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do they ever get rarer cars like Porsches and such? I'd love to find a 996 to pilfer.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Very rarely and if something like a 996 came in I'd be shocked if it made it out into the yard, they never had any deals with insurance companies so it was rare that we'd get something that was written off in an accident. Odds are they'd try auctioning it off or selling it to somebody they knew who could part it out first.

I know one time we did get some Infiniti G37 that had been wrapped around a tree but that thing was so mangled and a serious enough biohazard that we just pulled the three good rims off to sell then crushed it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya no worries, was just thinking if somebody was already there before the vultures descended it'd same me a trip.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Be aware that this weekend is 50% off public weekend for Labour Day.

If you go, one of you is a dedicated war photographer slash toolguard. May the Brap bless you and watch over you.

:stonk:
Yeah sorry 1500, I rescind my offer.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can't blame you. I may try and get my poo poo together and sneak in early Saturday when they first open but I'm not going to lose my poo poo over a couple of vents that I can order from the dealer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Do they ever get rarer cars like Porsches and such? I'd love to find a 996 to pilfer.

Intact Porsches probably go to one of the specialty yards or are snapped up from auction and immediately exported to another country. Try car-part.

Cars basically enter the Pick N Pull Universe Of Pain™ in one of three ways:
  • From auction - PNP or a scrap buyer bids basically minimum prices for a poo poo vehicle, eventually a seller is frustrated enough to say yes or an institution such as an impound lot. This is usually where you get the real dogshit from, including crashed cars or cars that other junkyards didn't want. Often, this is where Kidney Foundation cars end up.
  • From civilian surrender - You'll see an inrush of cars near the end of the month as bills approach, which is usually why you have insane stunts like 50% off day just prior to a big crushing week. This was the majority of the cars at Barlow throughout the winter, compounded by low Chinese scrap prices which caused them to hoard the cars in their parking lot for basically the entire season.
  • Someone steals your car, drives it to 52nd and gets paid for it without any proof of ownership. Optionally they might just dump it in the lot. A newer Porsche 911 probably has a rich white person emotionally attached to it, so the police will be more likely to actually investigate a theft of such a car, increasing the risk of whatever bent intake guy is working the counter.

Probably two out of three of these categories don't apply to a Porsche product, and the first (auction with a desperate seller) probably doesn't happen unless there's a currency fluctuation, export regulation or other external force which prevents the Porsche from being exported for "brand value" to some country like Russia which has cheap enough labour and loose enough laws to put it back on the road.

A Protege, for instance, just doesn't carry enough cachet to make that much effort worth it.

The business model of a you-pick-it junkyard is fairly obvious on the face of it, but there's a few streams where they appear to make money:
  • Vehicle resale - A surprising number of surrendered cars are actually running and driving projects that someone is simply sick of, so they end up getting marked up to $2000 and shoved on their front lot. Sometimes these are auction cars as well, in case some seller (repo) has a really bad day and just wants to get rid of a turd.
  • Crushing vehicles and selling the scrap - At present, this is probably the easiest money they make. You picking over the vehicles is basically free labour improving the yields at this point. If scrap prices are particularly low, they will put their lot workers to work cutting/yanking engine blocks out of the car before crushing it, because 'engine blocks' is a different category of scrap than 'mixed automobile platter.'
  • Vehicle parts sales - This is what you're interested in, but it's the least of their priorities. The only time this is focussed on is during a slump in scrap metal prices, such as what happened earlier in the year with the Chinese metals fraud scandal and subsequent depression in the market. When they start bag searches at the checkout, you know that scrap prices are low and they are refocusing on the retail side which is a hedge against low scrap value.

I've seen 924s and 944s hit the Pick N Pull but they were basically parts cars that were used up before getting thrown on a flatbed and dumped in the PNP intake yard.

Different brands seem to last different amounts of time before hitting the yard, which is probably proportional to how long they can exist as $1000 cars before they finally have a Big Pop. I'm only just now starting to see 2002-03 Imprezas hitting the yard whereas Audis, VWs and Mazda6s of that vintage have been there for four or five years now.

If I had to guess, based on the current resale-value trajectory we'll probably see early Boxsters in the yard within the next two or three years, but they'll be haggard to the point where no parts are salvageable. We'll probably have a year or so of that (more if there's a recession/capital flight), and then whatever brain injury that Porsche fanboys experience will elevate even those broken cars to "builder" prices, and people will start in on nuts-and-bolts restorations on 500k km automatic 2.7Ls...

There's a Porsche-specific junkyard in California that does a brisk trade in Boxsters. If I were hunting for anything for a modernish Porsche I would be building a relationship with those guys, see if you can get a package deal because they absolutely must know what each individual part is worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47jyNJQfiQ

So psyched I get to reuse this image of my Jane's Walk for Pick N Pull:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 31, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Most the business came in from sketchy tow vendors dumping vehicles when their impound lots got too full when I was there. We were pretty uncompetitive in the marketplace when I was there so that's why you ended up dealing with greaseballs and dudes that couldn't read as opposed to more professional outfits. We never got auction cars as far as I remember, we'd actually put more decent ones up for auction.

The civilian cars were always the stupidest ones because there was either absolutely nothing wrong with the car and they could've sold it for $1000 easy or it was an absolute piece of poo poo that they endangered everyone by driving it there.

The vehicle parts sales was a loss making venture but they could sell the core charge return poo poo for way more cash than the regular scrap mix. I suspect they got a better price on their regular scrap poo poo as well since most the vehicles end up getting their interiors gutted for one reason or another. I know they were trying really hard to push the parts sale thing towards profitability when I was there but I'm guessing they abandoned that and are trying to really push the absolute shady as gently caress dealer aspect now, can't wait for Pick-n-Pull financing to get rolled out. I know occasionally we'd have some guys roll in and pick out some real bottom of the barrel poo poo to buy as a scrap title vehicle to ship to africa for resale.

So I got a fun little letter from the Alberta government today. Apparently despite cancelling the registration the day after and taking a phone call from Lacombe police where I say that I sold the vehicle to the stupid kid I'm still being charged with the towing and impound fees on the Scirocco :wtc:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So does that mean you still own the Scirocco?

I remember seeing one couple roll up to the Pick N Pull in a reasonably OK-looking Explorer, get their $75, and walk home holding the license plate. There is no loving way that if you put any item even vaguely describable as a car on Kijiji you wouldn't at least get $300.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think I'd blow the budget trying to bail it out of there, plus its up in Wetaskiwin. I emailed the impound lot asking them to search the vehicle for a bill of sale. Lacombe police service would only give me a case # and say that "there was a lot going on in this file" and that the vehicle wasn't mentioned much.

Worst case scenario I have to get a commissioned Statutory Declaration saying I sold the vehicle but I'm hoping that they let common sense prevail and just accept that I cancelled the registration that day. If I do have to pay for the SD then I'm absolutely going to nail that kid by listing all the info he gave me in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What better car for TM2TW3?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What better car for TM2TW3?

Anything with functional heat?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My best friend just purchased a 2013 Viper with 7400km on it. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, 6 hunnert horsepower. On the other hand, Fiat bargain bin build quality.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info on how they get their cars. That was interesting. The only reason I would be interested in a 996 is that OEM parts are stupid, and I really don't need anything for mine yet but I wouldn't mind getting some poo poo and playing with it. In an ideal world a running M96.1 would be amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coming back from Calgary today, saw a Testarossa/512TR on the highway. 2nd one I've seen this year (other one was on QE2 near Edmonton). Good to see them driven.

Also, my wife and I both signed up for Taekwondo at our local club.

I have no idea what I just got myself into.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

I have no idea what I just got myself into.

Payback and bruising.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I remember seeing one couple roll up to the Pick N Pull in a reasonably OK-looking Explorer, get their $75, and walk home holding the license plate. There is no loving way that if you put any item even vaguely describable as a car on Kijiji you wouldn't at least get $300.

Would YOU accept a $225 loss if it means just walking away (holding your emotionally-invested LP) and not having to deal with potential BUYERS of a $300 Exploder?

I'm pretty sure I would. In fact, I did - when I scrapped my BMW in Saskatoon, I never got around to getting out to the JY that took it to collect the $240 he promised me. Oh well. I'm also dumb with money. :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well this is a summer to remember, Waterton closed and evacuated.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/waterton-evacuation-mandatory-1.4281646

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Don't know if any of you guys have been following this, but it's getting a little sporty around that Waterton fire now. Surrounding areas have been evacuated and the town site is in very, very real danger. Rain is forecast tomorrow for the first time since spring, so here's to hoping there is still a town for it to help. We have family that ranches which is under imminent evacuation just north of the park boundary (beaver mines area) and they told us the Grizzlies/Cougars are all coming out of the mountains and raiding their livestock, eating whatever they can including 1500+lb cows and 400lb pigs. Even if and when this fire gets under control the bear and cat issues are going to be interesting this fall/winter... especially if the den sites are inaccessible for the bears.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/evacuation-orders-as-wildfire-spreads-in-alta-1.3585683