Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

marvel comics has a cultural cachet that power rangers never had and will never have

if you don't think the name of the movie had a fuckload of baggage, you're insane

To be fair Power Rangers is probably the most recognizable Superhero franchise outside of DC or Marvel so it's not exactly obscure either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Stop getting offended about people thinking a movie is bad.

i'm not, though, that's the opposite of what's happening

i'm literally unsurprised by it and i don't care in the slightest. i'm going to see this movie on friday night. my friend can't get me in because he's not working that night, so i'm cheerfully paying for it

Burkion posted:

Ignore him, he has difficulty thinking that anything related to this could have been good, and he acts aggressively when he perceives the possibility that it COULD have been good because it is so unnatural to him.

Wanting anything from this film other than a rancid pile of poo poo is an inconceivable notion that confounds him.

When you get right down to it, there is no difference in the story of Power Rangers and any given Marvel or DC super hero. Power Rangers are basically Green Lanterns but there are five of them. Alien tech powers that are magical, they fight aliens. Nothing is inherently silly in the original set up, just coached in 90s kid show trappings and ideas.

Not unlike the sillier iterations of other famous super heroes. The difference is that Power Rangers, thankfully, has never had a period of time where they have be amoral murders and utter assholes because big name fans took over the reigns and completely missed the point of the properties, or what made the good mature stories work- namely the complexity of the scripts, not the nature of the tone.

As bad as this movie will be, it'll still be better than the vast majority of comic books made in the 90s that are equally as stupid and immature as Power Rangers, just nowhere near as fun.

go gently caress yourself burkion, i've been cautiously optimistic about this poo poo since the jump

it's all y'all who have been like gently caress THIS LOOKS LIKE poo poo IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE POWER RANGERS

especially you, mister old man with very set ideas of what makes a good toku show

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair Power Rangers is probably the most recognizable Superhero franchise outside of DC or Marvel so it's not exactly obscure either

it's debatable but you're probably not wrong

the problem is it is specifically recognizable as "that goofy show that was basically saved by the bell with monsters" which is some heavy baggage to shoulder

i guess what i'm saying is there's less of a tonal....incongruity? between the perception of Iron Man and the first movie (since let's be real if that movie hadn't done so well the whole Marvel Cinematic Gangbang wouldn't have happened) than there is between the perception of MMPR/Power Rangers as a franchise and what this movie is trying to do

and maybe some of that is time, maybe it's that the superheros that got movies (other than weird poo poo like blade which is the actual best comic book movie) had had time to be around and become part of the public consciousness so people didn't have that whole "it's for kids" hang up in their brain, and power rangers is just too recent

or maybe people just hate power rangers because it sucks. whatever, i'm still gonna go see it friday while i wait for my girlfriend to get out of work!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo Literally get some loving PMs going man, I want to shoot you a message unrelated to the rest of this bullshit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Yo Literally get some loving PMs going man, I want to shoot you a message unrelated to the rest of this bullshit.

I lost them when I got banned, email me at Donny wiggin at Gmail or dm @dickeyesmash on twitter

Also my name is Dickeye baka

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I lost them when I got banned, email me at Donny wiggin at Gmail or dm @dickeyesmash on twitter

Also my name is Dickeye baka

There's like four of you Donnys on Gmail, which one are you?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

There's like four of you Donnys on Gmail, which one are you?

No I mean that is the actual email address, donnywiggin at Gmail

My phone broke it up because it thought I was typing a name

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
in other news my girlfriend has told me that sentai/power rangers gives her nightmares when i fall asleep with it on

this sucks because
a) dont want to give her nightmares, now i feel like a butt because this has been happening for a while before i knew
b) i fuckin liked setting a giant pile of sentai to shuffle and waking up at odd hours and seeing what was on. waking up to ToQGer and Kyoryuger is a hell of a time!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean people are knocking this movie over things like, "the villain's name is Rita Repulsa, how juvenile." But if she was named Empress Korthuza'ab then suddenly this isn't a Power Rangers movie anymore.

Camp never does well with critics, and PR, the 90s equivalent of an Ed Wood sci-fi, is so campy that you need a tent.

You know what has 86% on Rotten Tomatoes? Star Trek Into Darkness. Ask fans how they feel about that one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

I mean people are knocking this movie over things like, "the villain's name is Rita Repulsa, how juvenile." But if she was named Empress Korthuza'ab then suddenly this isn't a Power Rangers movie anymore.

Camp never does well with critics, and PR, the 90s equivalent of an Ed Wood sci-fi, is so campy that you need a tent.

You know what has 86% on Rotten Tomatoes? Star Trek Into Darkness. Ask fans how they feel about that one.

camp tends to do better in retrospect. batman '66 has finally reached the point where people are watching it and going "whoa this is fuckin legit"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

camp tends to do better in retrospect. batman '66 has finally reached the point where people are watching it and going "whoa this is fuckin legit"

I think it has the benefit of going first. Batman 89 may get that treatment eventually, I doubt the follow ups or movies cashing in on its spirit ever will.

In the realm of Superhero Movies That Did Poorly And Were Forgotten, I just hope PR ends up closer to The Rocketeer (fun weird niche selection) and less like Dick Tracy (so many artistic problems that it's like puke on a screen.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

I think it has the benefit of going first. Batman 89 may get that treatment eventually, I doubt the follow ups or movies cashing in on its spirit ever will.

In the realm of Superhero Movies That Did Poorly And Were Forgotten, I just hope PR ends up closer to The Rocketeer (fun weird niche selection) and less like Dick Tracy (so many artistic problems that it's like puke on a screen.)

it also helps that batman 66 was actually loving legit whereas mmpr is a bizarre trainwreck that manages to be enjoyable

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
there's no way pr will be anywhere near as good as the rocketeer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

duh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've got four episodes of Drive, a Movie Wars, and Heart/Mach left of Drive and I don't want it to end.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mikeycp posted:

Would you settle for Batman Forever?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

No because that movie sucks bad

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe it'll reach the heights of Batman and Robin. Maybe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've got four episodes of Drive, a Movie Wars, and Heart/Mach left of Drive and I don't want it to end.

Sometimes you just have to accept that things don't last forever. I know the feeling though, every time something new of Drive came out after the series ended, I got reminded of how good Drive was and it was sad.

It was even more sad because that was during Ghost, and Ghost was absolutely terrible.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sometimes you just have to accept that things don't last forever. I know the feeling though, every time something new of Drive came out after the series ended, I got reminded of how good Drive was and it was sad.

It was even more sad because that was during Ghost, and Ghost was absolutely terrible.

The best part was when the amazingly hilarious Type High Speed special was finally subbed during Ghost's airing and I remembered how excellent Drive was. Ghost was a real downer coming off Drive with how lackluster it was.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That reminds me

anyone else find it supremely sad that the Drive movie uses Ghost's motif better than his entire series does?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

TFRazorsaw posted:

That reminds me

anyone else find it supremely sad that the Drive movie uses Ghost's motif better than his entire series does?

I've heard inklings in my travels around the web, though have not collected a source, that they toned ghost down because his original fighting style was deemed "too scary" by parents or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If that is remotely true

Dear God imagine the reactions to Kuuga or freaking Fiaz nowadays.

We were just talking about Another Agito too, there's a good one

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So where the hell was the Den Liner crew in the Drive movie anyway.

You'd think Shinnosuke would have Yuuto on speed dial.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Chat's reaction to the Land Shark attack was just what I hoped.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

Maybe it'll reach the heights of Batman and Robin. Maybe.

That movie is incredible

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

the last episodes of drive are some of the best poo poo the kr franchise has ever produced.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't read every review of the movie because I'm not a masochist, but the ones I've read from people who have more grounding with the source material seem to be more critical.

They go past the "haha wow this source material sure is dumb!" critique and hone in on "trini's sexuality is only included as riffing material" and other Actual Problems with the script.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
if any of y'all have Gaoranger to upload, i'd appreciate it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey uh, what are the rules about linking streaming sites

Like is that a bad

Because Literally, if you want some Gao, I can't help with downloads buuuut

http://kissasian.com/Drama/Hyakujuu-Sentai-Gaoranger Maybe you can rip them from here? I'm pretty sure you were looking for Gao Soul right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Hey uh, what are the rules about linking streaming sites

Like is that a bad

Because Literally, if you want some Gao, I can't help with downloads buuuut

http://kissasian.com/Drama/Hyakujuu-Sentai-Gaoranger Maybe you can rip them from here? I'm pretty sure you were looking for Gao Soul right?

my torrent kicked in, finally

also i think the general rule is "as long as it's not licensed, yolo". at least that's how i've been operating for.....ten years now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also i updated the OP a little, linked to the bioman batch, added the current series, a couple other small things. i figured a year was long enough to wait

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my torrent kicked in, finally

also i think the general rule is "as long as it's not licensed, yolo". at least that's how i've been operating for.....ten years now

Trust me I know the pain of dead torrents.

I've been backing up most of my poo poo onto my onedrive lately since my last computer died. Got a virtual library of bullshit tokustasu there with other nonsense.

Most obscure of which is likely Captain Power because it's a show I really want to like but never actually watch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Trust me I know the pain of dead torrents.

I've been backing up most of my poo poo onto my onedrive lately since my last computer died. Got a virtual library of bullshit tokustasu there with other nonsense.

Most obscure of which is likely Captain Power because it's a show I really want to like but never actually watch

i'm working on getting every complete, non-TVN rider and sentai sub (minus the seasons shout has done), and then i gotta figure out where to back them up

how much do you pay for OneDrive?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i'm working on getting every complete, non-TVN rider and sentai sub (minus the seasons shout has done), and then i gotta figure out where to back them up

I have a friend who works at Microsoft who basically got free Office 365 for years to come, so he shared one of his 5 things of a TB of Onedrive with me.

The way that works is, if you get office 365, you get a free upgrade to 1TB of Onedrive for yourself, and a code for 4 others in your family and friends.

He only got that because of his connections, normally it's about 99 per year...but if you don't mind gaming the system a bit...

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-home?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=78fb7f06-506c-48ee-afef-754460500552

You can get it for free for 1 month. If you can store everything you have on there in that time frame, after the month runs out it will stay. You can watch it, download it, the works, you just can't put any more files on it.

Onedrive is actually pretty nifty in that regard, and it works pretty drat well as a streaming thing that you can share with people.

Like, https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq4U0MBrjNBq1AK2y_6fq3hF4X8I

There's the first episode of Kamen Rider from my Onedrive.

In browser form it doesn't play MKVs, but the app will, and if it won't play a certain file type you can just download it no problem.

I'm not sure if you have to worry about data caps though, not sure what kind of internet you have. That's what would make the 'get it all on there as fast as possible' plan backfire.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

On the other hand, check your email

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

It is a terrible truth, but some truths were not meant to be easy to swallow.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

also i updated the OP a little, linked to the bioman batch, added the current series, a couple other small things. i figured a year was long enough to wait

you didn't get that og kamen rider is fully subbed. just not by kit, so i don't know if they're actually good. http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/1971-kamen-rider-series-now-fully-subbed

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

you didn't get that og kamen rider is fully subbed. just not by kit, so i don't know if they're actually good. http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/1971-kamen-rider-series-now-fully-subbed

They're very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

On the other hand, check your email

Yeah I got it, thanks dude.

• Locked thread