Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It'd be kinda lovely if they didn't get him on that show in China since they make it seem like he was so pivotal in communicating with the other recently signed Chinese wrestlers. Assuming his family stuff is in a position where he'd want to, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ho Ho Lun's family emergency is that his family found out Where he was, and he had to get the hell outta here!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hoho Lun's real name is Wei Shen, and he's been working undercover trying to expose the Triads. Sleeping Dogs 2: Wei-amania coming soon to Steam!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please don't harm me by talking about a goodgame that will never happen

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Hoho loving stank and i'm glad he's dead or whatever.

"I'm the guy who runs a wrestling school who looks and works like he just turned up for his first ever session at a wrestling school."

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

How so? I'm honestly very interested in this, since they seem to love the NBA.

Sports on TV is consumed very differently than in the USA for 99% of Chinese people. Lets say for example, you're a big fan of the Chicago Bulls. You watch every game of the season, or at least weekly. They tend to play at roughly the same time on roughly the same day. Baseball and certainly football also work like this, and WWE does as well. For the Chinese sports fan, games are viewed on State owned channels typically as a huge 6 hour block of random mixed sports highlights. Because of that format, shorter length sports are more the norm, so you'll see more Olympian sports like badminton, track & field and ping pong. Basketball and soccer clips are shown for the national teams, but rarely a full length match. Since this is all on State controlled media, you're typically watching national sports figures competing, and then only when they're winning. The NBA has been shown in the country on national television in exposition games, but those are an exceedingly rare once-in-a-year type thing. Satellite feeds exist from Hong Kong, Korean or Japanese sports programs, but that's a microscopic percent of a percent (and of those, I wonder how many aren't pirating).

With all that said, you're right that the NBA is wildly popular. The reason for that, is that younger Chinese people are watching clips on youtube, although there are perhaps a few diehards watching full length matches on pirate sites. All major sports struggle with this problem in third world nations. The money is in live events and television deals, but such a huge subsection of the population will never pony up the cash to watch it because they'll either be satisfied with the free clips available on state-ran TV, or catch things for free on copious pirated channels. Live event attendance is also a major problem in the Chinese market. Common people are only now becoming accustom to paying a ticket to see a movie in a theater. There are a myriad of culture and economic factors that play into that, but what it boils down is that the Chinese equivalent of the NBA and MLS are about as well attended as local community college sporting events.

What does this mean for wrestling? The WWE needs regularly scheduled programming on TV and live events to break into the market. The State controlled media would never allow something as jingoistic as the WWE to air outside of a hand-picked 10 minute clip, if at all. Without TV presence, there is no incentive to attend a live event. This is why Middle Kingdom Wrestling is only attended by those already initiated... or the performer's own personal friends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I just got around to watching NXT and Gargano vs Raul Mendoza was really fun. They worked real well together.

Mendoza was the standout of the first round losers in the CWC to me. Granted, part of that was that Kendrick was the only participant to really directly work heel, so Mendoza had some meat to work with as a fiery babyface flip-man, but he looked great, and really should be featured more.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
With Eva gone I hope they now start putting Mandy Rose back on NXT since she is basically like Eva except much better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was just reading somewhere yesterday that is the plan.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
That was Alvarez guesswork.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

At Takeover I thought Ciampa was going to be taken out of the match early as he has major shoulder issues. He hadn't wrestled for a month prior. He did a lot in the match but he was a lot less muscular.

Will be interested to see if they write him out at the tapings on Wednesday.

Rovert was right about this, Pro Wrestling Sheet today confirmed Ciampa had shoulder surgery recently and was spotted in a sling over the weekend

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Rovert was right about this, Pro Wrestling Sheet today confirmed Ciampa had shoulder surgery recently and was spotted in a sling over the weekend

So his shoulder and his knee was hosed before that Takeover? Jesus.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

So his shoulder and his knee was hosed before that Takeover? Jesus.

His shoulder since like January. He got physical rehab for it to see him to the Summer.

He over commits on every in the ring. Easy to see how he'd blow a shoulder out.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Lio Rush was always going to have a hard time in NXT due to his maturity but he didn't help himself with this bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kc-mPq1P7g

It was a big talking point in NXT on Monday. William Regal and Steve Corino both have had serious neck surgery.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've seen the future and it's Lio Rush cutting a shoot promo on Impact about WWE not letting him be himself. Rating: 210K viewers

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/895313946382483456

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The Youtube preview show for NXT TV shows:

https://twitter.com/catherinekelley/status/895400427952496643

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I had no clue this existed until now

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so I've had no room for NXT in my life with the G1 etc lately, and now, watching this ep, I realize: I have seen zero build of Drew McIntyre since his return. Like, I think I've only seen him in one match, total. Are there any of his matches I should see since he came back?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this segment basically sums up why I've been so cool on NXT lately. at least in the Joe/Finn era there was charisma to go around for days, now these three are in the main event scene and are just boring as hell 32-40 year old white guys. I hate you Triple H. put the belt on no way jose

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

put oney and danny into a bald scary men tag team

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

abraham linksys posted:

a bald scary men tag team

so luke gallows and karl anderson?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

abraham linksys posted:

this segment basically sums up why I've been so cool on NXT lately. at least in the Joe/Finn era there was charisma to go around for days, now these three are in the main event scene and are just boring as hell 32-40 year old white guys. I hate you Triple H. put the belt on no way jose

That's a hell of a funny way to spell Aleister Black.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

so I've had no room for NXT in my life with the G1 etc lately, and now, watching this ep, I realize: I have seen zero build of Drew McIntyre since his return. Like, I think I've only seen him in one match, total. Are there any of his matches I should see since he came back?

I liked all his NXT matches but the one with Oney Lorcan was by far the best.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kvantum posted:

That's a hell of a funny way to spell Aleister Black.

Weird way to spell Johnny Gargano.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

VJeff posted:

Weird way to spell Johnny Gargano.

This is also an acceptable answer. Good point.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hoho Lun's real name is Wei Shen, and he's been working undercover trying to expose the Triads. Sleeping Dogs 2: Wei-amania coming soon to Steam!

wei shen is like 9001x more scary and intimidating than ho ho lun

although seeing ho ho lun as a psychopathic cop x gang member that snaps kneecaps at the slightest provocation would be an interesting gimmick if he ever comes back

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those are all different people. mostly very good ones. the spelling is not messed up at all

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Drew is cool and good and did a really good promo to sell the whole 'common man vs rich prick' angle they're doing with him (and Roddy) against Roode. Like, if Roddy was from Hawaii, he'd basically be the Steamboat to Roode's Flair. (Drew is Dusty, but with better hair and better in the ring)

Plus ya, there's Gargano, Black, the ReDragon boys, Itami, Ohno, even Velveteen Dream has a smidgen of something there.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Burch and Lorcan would be a great Takeover opener.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Accident Underwater posted:

Hell yeah id be all about this match.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Accident Underwater posted:

I kind of assumed that's what we'll get with Burch's rematch challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a dark / TV match though - seems like Lorcan's always pulled that duty.

Not enthused abt Black / Itami mainly bc I'd like Itami to pull out a win.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
So Paul Ellering's role in the AOP is literally just to walk around now? They would have done better not having him in the opening segment.

Edit: Roderick Strong is a terrible face promo. He sounds like heel WCW Jericho, taken seriously.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 10, 2017

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

rovert posted:

Lio Rush was always going to have a hard time in NXT due to his maturity but he didn't help himself with this bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kc-mPq1P7g

It was a big talking point in NXT on Monday. William Regal and Steve Corino both have had serious neck surgery.

gently caress being concerned about his neck; don't hire anyone who would no sell that table spot. that was awful.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

freud mayweather posted:

gently caress being concerned about his neck; don't hire anyone who would no sell that table spot. that was awful.

Yeah the no sell was loving stupid. I make fun of jim cornette all the time, but I DO love him, and this poo poo is exactly what he's talking about. Wrestling has stunts. It has drama. It has many things. It is not just a lovely version of the Indiana Jones stunt show at disney world in a ring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was a CZW show. That there wasn't a box full of AIDS syringes and a landmine below the table means it was pretty much nothing.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/411mania/status/895652290874417156

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Endless Mike posted:

It was a CZW show. That there wasn't a box full of AIDS syringes and a landmine below the table means it was pretty much nothing.

It was also against Joey Janela. People need to get over it.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Asuka vacating would absolutely bury the entire NXT women's roster and I'm flabbergasted that anyone would think otherwise.

It wouldn't bury NXT roster if she went up to main roster, immediately won the title there, and remained undefeated. If she leaves undefeated to become just another person on the main roster, who loses within 2 months? Oh that's just poo poo WWE booking. Expect it to happen that way!

Resident Idiot posted:

So Paul Ellering's role in the AOP is literally just to walk around now? They would have done better not having him in the opening segment.

They could have mentioned it on commentary, but Paul Ellering is an old dude, Sanity is 4 people. If he'd have tried to intervene to physically help the AoP he'd have gotten his rear end kicked. He's an advisor, not a fighter, he had to look on as his team was seperated and beaten.

Related, I liked the difference of Ember Moon respecting the title, and that she didn't deserve to hold it until she'd won it. Meanwhile, Sanity just waving the belts around, throwing them onto the champs as they left.

Burch and Lorcan is like the polar opposite of the WWE mantra. They don't necessarily make you feel raw emotions about the characters, but they really put forward an entertaining fight that makes people want to pay attention to and appreciate rather than chant and cheer wildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hot take about the whole Asuka and roster burial thing: Her leaving undefeated would not bury the NXT Womens Division, and would likely be used as a hook on the main roster. Now it wouldn't be used well (because WWE), but it would give her some serious momentum right off the bat.

People also seem to be forgetting that the MYC is wrapping up in a month or so, and it'll probably revitalize the division.

Asuka as it stands, barely has much in the way of competition. If WWE is trying to get people to feel sorry for Ember, its not working. They've tried turning Asuka heel, but the crowd will still cheer for her anyways. Where Ember does get cheers, its nowhere near the level Asuka gets, along with the fact that most people do not give a poo poo about her background or story. Great worker, absolutely lovely character work. This ties into the fact that Asuka is most likely main roster bound soon. Honestly I would rather have her vacate the title, and the winner of the MYC finals become the new NXT Womens Champion. As for people saying Nikki Cross should be champion, she's probably main roster bound as well. And Ember is nowhere near ready.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 10, 2017

• Locked thread