Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

thechosenone posted:

?? People regularly tell folks to call their congressmen, and honestly some of that probably gets rather harassment like too. It comes part and parcel of doing controversial things. what is the point in not harassing them?

Congressional elected officials =/= people voting in the DNC chair race, for one. But also, using the correct methods to contact and voice your concerns is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

Your sister's old beanie babies aren't your local Democratic Party.

But maybe they will be able to tear down and trample all the DNC if you wish hard enough.

Sister never had beanie babies. Also I know it will take time. But then I have 50-60 years ahead of me. The way I see it. Tomorrow belongs to me. Also for those who want to know the correct methods. It involves going to country and local democratic meetings. Or DFL in my state it requires making yourself known and then getting like minded people to join with you. Then when the elections come for electing who heads the local branches getting yourself or someone who is of the same mind but more competent in leadership positions.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 28, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crowsbeak posted:

Sister never had beanie babies. Also I know it will take time. But then I have 50-60 years ahead of me. The way I see it. Tomorrow belongs to me.

Unsolicited advice: drop the weird personal attacks on people when you've lost an argument.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

you show them to a trusted 3rd party who verifies the vote count. You are wrong. Stop.

what trusted third party? why does the rules say nothing about this, just "no votes by secret ballot"?

seems like a lot of additional rules to prop up a twisted reading of a fairly straightforward rule

a secret signed ballot is still a secret ballot

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Cool, guess I can send death threats to the head of my local Elks Lodge cause I disagree with their decision concerning the stocking of SKYY in the wet bar. After all, what could be more American?

You got a bone to pick with them or something? Send too many gift baskets?

Nevvy Z posted:

You can ask them for it. They'll release it if they want. They don't owe you the information.
Cool, I know they don't owe it. It doesn't mean that it isn't silly for them to worry about not showing it, especially if they have no reason to be concerned.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Congressional elected officials =/= people voting in the DNC chair race, for one. But also, using the correct methods to contact and voice your concerns is important.

Why not? they are quite important to the election of the former. I agree that improper voicing of concerns causes them to largely go unnoticed, but It is difficult to voice concerns at all if they will not provide the ability to let us know if we should be concerned.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Unsolicited advice: drop the weird personal attacks on people when you've lost an argument.

Here is some advice. Don't lie to me. BTW you know the person I was responding to engaged in multiple personal attacks. But then I guess you like always have very obvious double standards.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Condiv posted:

what trusted third party? why does the rules say nothing about this, just "no votes by secret ballot"?

seems like a lot of additional rules to prop up a twisted reading of a fairly straightforward rule

The rule just says no secret ballot, which these weren't.

Crowsbeak posted:

Here is some advice. Don't lie to me.

No one lied to you? You just can't read and decided that your inability to read was a good time to make a weird personal attack on me about how I am supposedly some kind of centrist that doesn't want his taxes raised? Like dude you obviously have no loving clue about me, so don't make assumptions about who I am or what I want based on the fact that you can't read.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Secret ballot means that no one knows who voted for whom.

Which is against the bylaws. Glad you could finally be honest

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I think there's a big difference in "backlash" and calling people on their homes and constantly harassing them and leaving threats. There is, you know, a limit to that.

That doesn't excuse killing off effective transparency within that party. In fact, doing that tends to make the things you describe worse.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

Secret ballot has been repeatedly defined you insufferable buffoon.

KomradeX posted:

Good thing it didn't happen.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

But people do know who voted for whom, it's just not publicized, and it shouldn't be publicized because it could put the people who voted in danger.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sure, I'm not for literal harassment of people but the crux of the question is on that difference. Aren't these basically both just democratic processes, one in at the national level the other at the party? Why do you figure this means one shouldn't have public accountability?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There aren't enough ironicats in the world for this poo poo, god drat

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KomradeX posted:

They weren't secret? They were literally signed.

Cerebral Bore posted:

That doesn't excuse killing off effective transparency within that party. In fact, doing that tends to make the things you describe worse.

"Killing off" implies there was ever the level of transparency you're asking for, which there hasn't.

TheRat posted:

There aren't enough ironicats in the world for this poo poo, god drat

Because I've made it a habit of calling people "centrists" as a slur and attacking their motives, uhuh. Would you like to call me a gendered slur now?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Anyone actually deciding how to feel about a politician based on that politician voting in this chairperson election is a loving idiot. Don't give idiots the tools to do stupid things, IMO.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Someone should tell Brainiac that. Though I think they already know.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also yeah, transparency helps to relieve this pressure, rather than letting it build up into what it can get to.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

But people do know who voted for whom, it's just not publicized, and it shouldn't be publicized because it could put the people who voted in danger.

So it is a secret ballot to us then? What about city counsel? They are small fries compared to congress, but we know how they vote often enough.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

thechosenone posted:

So it is a secret ballot to us then?

You are an idiot.

List of people who clearly are idiots based on their inability to read the last 5 pages and understand the meaning of words-

Condiv
thechosenone
Komrade X
Kilroy

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If only you make it as easy as possible for us to threaten people, we won't threaten anyone anymore.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one lied to you? You just can't read and decided that your inability to read was a good time to make a weird personal attack on me about how I am supposedly some kind of centrist that doesn't want his taxes raised? Like dude you obviously have no loving clue about me, so don't make assumptions about who I am or what I want based on the fact that you can't read.

Well then they should be much more open about who voted. I mean it would solve alot of problems. But then I am going to ensure the problems are solved by taking part in local politics. Also why do you tell me to drop personal attacks but not Effectronica. Or is it only bad when those who don't kiss your rear end do it? Here is some unsolicited advice. Do not be two faced.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Nevvy Z posted:

Anyone actually deciding how to feel about a politician based on that politician voting in this chairperson election is a loving idiot. Don't give idiots the tools to do stupid things, IMO.

Why is that? Is it about the DNC chairman election in general or because of this one in specific?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The rule just says no secret ballot, which these weren't.

yeah, they were. they're kept secret, they serve the purpose of a secret ballot by protecting voters from influence, it's a secret ballot.

you can't even name a reason the ballot should be kept secret. how are you supposed to convince me of your reading when there's literally no purpose for yours?

Nevvy Z posted:

Secret ballot has been repeatedly defined you insufferable buffoon.

are you obsessed with me or something? you made a big show of putting me on ignore so why aren't you ignoring me?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fados posted:

Why is that? Is it about the DNC chairman election in general or because of this one in specific?

Because things like their actual stance on real issues are more important than intercene squabbles.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

No, a secret signed ballot is still a signed ballot. A signed secret ballot is an oxymoron. You are wrong.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

thechosenone posted:

You got a bone to pick with them or something? Send too many gift baskets?

I know you barely have two brain cells to rub together dear, but braniac was engaging in hyperbole to show how idiotic crowsbeak's literal death threats against the DNC were jesus loving Christ crowsbeak do you want lowtax arrested?

hope you eventually learn context clues and reading comprehension~!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fados posted:

Sure, I'm not for literal harassment of people but the crux of the question is on that difference. Aren't these basically both just democratic processes, one in at the national level the other at the party? Why do you figure this means one shouldn't have public accountability?

One's a government position that is inherently democratic in nature; the other is a non-government entity that's only vaguely democratic in nature. Again, I am not arguing against what people are asking for -- I am simply saying that rules weren't broken or ignored and that if you'd like that list to be published, by all means email the DNC secretary address I just gave you and ask for it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

You are an idiot.

Why? We don't know who voted for what, so it is a secret to us. It just isn't a secret to everyone.

Brainiac Five posted:

If only you make it as easy as possible for us to threaten people, we won't threaten anyone anymore.

Doesn't seem like it stops people, and there are plenty of ways to prevent physical coercion, especially compared to how hard it is to hold people accountable, when you don't know who is to be held accountable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

Well its peoples right to threaten a elected official of a party with being voted out of office. Its kind of how politics work. You do what those who you supposedly represent want or you know longer hold your position. Sorry you cannot understand these very simple ideas.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Well its peoples right to threaten a elected official of a party with being voted out of office. Its kind of how politics work. You do what those who you supposedly represent want or you know longer hold your position. Sorry you cannot understand these very simple ideas.

The DNC chairperson election is not a political issue. It's a party issue. Just like the hiring of the janitors to clean the building at night.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

stone cold posted:

I know you barely have two brain cells to rub together dear, but braniac was engaging in hyperbole to show how idiotic crowsbeak's literal death threats against the DNC were jesus loving Christ crowsbeak do you want lowtax arrested?

hope you eventually learn context clues and reading comprehension~!

You seem to be experiencing the same effect you are describing, but with regards to sarcasm. Admittedly though, the internet really takes away normal context clues, so it isn't unrealistic for you to make that mistake

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

One's a government position that is inherently democratic in nature; the other is a non-government entity that's only vaguely democratic in nature. Again, I am not arguing against what people are asking for -- I am simply saying that rules weren't broken or ignored and that if you'd like that list to be published, by all means email the DNC secretary address I just gave you and ask for it.

.It may not be government, but the DNC is hooked up to the heart of our political system, just like the RNC.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

The DNC eleciton is not a political issue. It's a party issue.

Party issues are politics. Or else there wouldn't be party elections.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

You were threatening them with violence not with their elections holy poo poo crowsbeak you better not make lowtax get a visit from the cops from your stupid loving post you loving idiot!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"Killing off" implies there was ever the level of transparency you're asking for, which there hasn't.

Don't be pedantic. The entire point is that you can't justify less transparency with a problem that gets worse with less transparency.

Nevvy Z posted:

JFC, you're literally saying that anyone actually deciding how to feel about a politician based on that politician's voting record is a loving idiot. Like, holy poo poo you're not getting it.

Nevvy Z posted:

The DNC chairperson election is not a political issue. It's a party issue. Just like the hiring of the janitors to clean the building at night.

Like, look at this poo poo right here. How clueless can one person be?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Condiv posted:

yeah, they were. they're kept secret, they serve the purpose of a secret ballot by protecting voters from influence, it's a secret ballot.

you can't even name a reason the ballot should be kept secret. how are you supposed to convince me of your reading when there's literally no purpose for yours?

They were known to both Ellison and Perez so they could whip count for the second ballot? They were not secret. They were signed. And I told you exactly what DNC members said about why they didn't want a hand count or voice vote.

That's all the rule requires. It doesn't require you to know who voted for who.

In fact the only other time it's actually been voted on, it was a voice vote. You couldn't even tell who actually voiced their vote other than assuming everyone screaming Yes to dean was actually a voting member. A signed ballot would actually provide security that everyone voting was actually a voting member of the DNC, which could be hard to do with either a voice count or a hand count, when you're talking about 500 people.

They were going to use machines to do it, but they were concerned about the technology being reliable, so they used paper ballots instead.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

stone cold posted:

You were threatening them with violence not with their elections holy poo poo crowsbeak you better not make lowtax get a visit from the cops from your stupid loving post you loving idiot!

I'm gonna say what I always say to him. Quote the post.

Cerebral Bore posted:

JFC, you're literally saying that anyone actually deciding how to feel about a politician based on that politician's voting record is a loving idiot. Like, holy poo poo you're not getting it.

No, just this one vote.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

And we are democrats, so we are interested in our parties workings.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

thechosenone posted:

You seem to be experiencing the same effect you are describing, but with regards to sarcasm. Admittedly though, the internet really takes away normal context clues, so it isn't unrealistic for you to make that mistake

Oh, sorry, you normally have the dumbest and tedious loving opinions on everything so based on the context of your posts, I automatically assume everything you have to say is completely worthless.

Hope this helps~!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

thechosenone posted:

.It may not be government, but the DNC is hooked up to the heart of our political system, just like the RNC.

I don't think the RNC even has open meetings.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

So we should make all congressional votes secret right? That could put people's lives in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

No, a secret signed ballot is still a signed ballot. A signed secret ballot is an oxymoron. You are wrong.

oddly enough, if you keep votes anonymous, it's a secret ballot. please post me your weird twisted definition of secret ballot from the dem charter.

• Locked thread