Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I had written off Wildlands..

...until the word "Mercenaries" popped up. This seriously like a successor to Mercenaries? Cause those were some of my favorite games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

89 posted:

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I had written off Wildlands..

...until the word "Mercenaries" popped up. This seriously like a successor to Mercenaries? Cause those were some of my favorite games ever.

I thought that myself for a bit but after watching gameplay, its like merc's slower less wild cousin rather than a true successor :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why won't they let me use themes that were preorder bonuses as soon as I make the preorder? What possible logic could there be in that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I imagine it's to stop people preordering the game ages out, using the theme until they get bored of it and then cancelling.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why won't they let me use themes that were preorder bonuses as soon as I make the preorder? What possible logic could there be in that?

I don't think you can even cancel digital pre orders. So that can't be the reason.
But having themes only as preorder bonus should stop. I am willing to pay the 2.99 or whatever for the theme. I am not, however willing to pay 59,99 for the game i already have just to get the theme.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Are there any real reasons that point to Mass Effect Andromeda being as bad as some think?

Its an ea game that has had basically nothing spent on marketing and is being kept very secretive.

It seems like they think the mass effect name will sell it rather than its merits as a game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

I don't think you can even cancel digital pre orders. So that can't be the reason.
But having themes only as preorder bonus should stop. I am willing to pay the 2.99 or whatever for the theme. I am not, however willing to pay 59,99 for the game i already have just to get the theme.

You can cancel pre-orders though predictably Sony doesn't advertise it or make it easy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://youtu.be/38sPNZ8QHO4

Crowbcat very mad about p2p in 4honor

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

You can cancel pre-orders though predictably Sony doesn't advertise it or make it easy.
Ah, that's good to know.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Real hurthling! posted:

Good, because p2p is loving trash

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is Rhombus of Ruin playable without VR at all or hsould I just watch an LP

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Good, because p2p is loving trash

Yep

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SE put out a ffxv patch that ruins the game on pro. They took away the capped 30 lite mode and replaced it with an uncapped mode with big fps swings. The 4k modes judder was not fixed either. Morons.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So... I'm getting a PS4 Pro, since I live in Brazil it's kinda hard to get good warranty (and it's pretty expensive so I'd rather not have to buy a second one later). Does the early versions have any kind of hardware problem ? Anything I should watch for ?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... I'm getting a PS4 Pro, since I live in Brazil it's kinda hard to get good warranty (and it's pretty expensive so I'd rather not have to buy a second one later). Does the early versions have any kind of hardware problem ? Anything I should watch for ?

There's only one version out thus far. There's no issues really. Some people said she about loud fans but I think it was mostly user error (keeping ps4 in closed cabinet)

In short, no

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Real hurthling! posted:

SE put out a ffxv patch that ruins the game on pro. They took away the capped 30 lite mode and replaced it with an uncapped mode with big fps swings. The 4k modes judder was not fixed either. Morons.

Im glad I don't have a ps4 pro and im also glad that i finished ffxv last week so i can uninstall it and never play it again

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

There's only one version out thus far. There's no issues really. Some people said she about loud fans but I think it was mostly user error (keeping ps4 in closed cabinet)

In short, no

Great, thanks !

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Super Bunny Hop did a really in-depth review and he said lag was not common but a disconnect was likely at least once per day. It was, however, pretty much his only complaint.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am excited to one day buy FFXV. I couldn't afford it during Japanuary, but hearing it is still being supported and will have a better storyline makes me happy for the next year that I can play it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Super Bunny Hop did a really in-depth review and he said lag was not common but a disconnect was likely at least once per day. It was, however, pretty much his only complaint.

Yep when it is working and a match is in progress which is most of the time, the connection is very good and smooth, no lag or teleporting or anything like that. It obviously works very well for the purposes of the game. The issues with pauses for reconnecting and disconnects are annoying and hopefully something will be done to improve them although I understand they are a result of the unique cluster p2p connection they are using. So basically they have a system that provides a connection for good gameplay with some interrupting hiccups as a result. And it's better than dedicated servers for those with not great internet or further away from the server etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Using p2p is pretty much the publisher saying that they don't care about the quality of their multiplayer title

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

VideoGames posted:

I am excited to one day buy FFXV. I couldn't afford it during Japanuary, but hearing it is still being supported and will have a better storyline makes me happy for the next year that I can play it.

I will mail you my copy, all the way from NZ, if you mail it back when you're done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

seiferguy posted:

I'm curious how well Horizon will do, since it came out in the midst of what feels like market saturation. But I really want to play it when my backlog isn't so crazy!

Well I think goon perspectives on video games are a bit skewed. Horizon is about as mainstream as you can get and it will probably sell a million bazillion copies, way more than Nier and Nioh at least.

For me personally I've been looking forward to this game the most in 2017, and I've already written off Andromeda so I'm glad things are at least looking good for Horizon!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Horizon is going to be huge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Only thing that might hurt Horizon sales is the launch of the Switch about a week later.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

RatHat posted:

Only thing that might hurt Horizon sales is the launch of the Switch about a week later.

Only 2 days isn't it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

exquisite tea posted:

Well I think goon perspectives on video games are a bit skewed. Horizon is about as mainstream as you can get and it will probably sell a million bazillion copies, way more than Nier and Nioh at least.

For me personally I've been looking forward to this game the most in 2017, and I've already written off Andromeda so I'm glad things are at least looking good for Horizon!

Yes, goons have niche taste. These were the top sellers in January:

Resident Evil 7 (PS4, Xbox One)
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Grand Theft Auto 5 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
Battlefield 1 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
NBA 2K17 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4)
Madden NFL 17 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
Watch Dogs 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Overwatch (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
FIFA 17 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

I bought and enjoyed all of those except Kingdom Hearts and RE:7 (don't like horror... or RE).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I will mail you my copy, all the way from NZ, if you mail it back when you're done.

That is absolutely wonderful, but it sadly would not fit into my Year of Gaming in any of the upcoming months.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 7 is the only one of those I have played.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blackfyre posted:

Only 2 days isn't it?

Horizon is the 28th, Switch is the 3rd.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
it's amazing that GTA5 still is on the charts. Amazing lasting appeal. (the game is really good)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horizon is 1st here for some reason, another bizarre Wednesday release...

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sakurazuka posted:

Horizon is 1st here for some reason, another bizarre Wednesday release...

Yeah I assumed it was a worldwide date because of that. Still only 3 days from the 28th.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think the statement that DA:I had a "bad reception" is not particularly accurate since it was viewed as a decent step up from DA2 and reviewed and sold well. It wasn't my thing as I sputtered out around 25 hours because of the Ubisoft-style collectathon it had going but I know a few people who loved it to death. The biggest mark against it is that the Witcher 3 came out afterward and kind of trashed it on the story-telling front.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

bloodychill posted:

I think the statement that DA:I had a "bad reception" is not particularly accurate since it was viewed as a decent step up from DA2 and reviewed and sold well. It wasn't my thing as I sputtered out around 25 hours because of the Ubisoft-style collectathon it had going but I know a few people who loved it to death. The biggest mark against it is that the Witcher 3 came out afterward and kind of trashed it on the story-telling front.

:same:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oddly enough I happily put like 70 hours into DA:I but never get more than about 15 or 20 into Witcher 3 before getting distracted, even though I recognise it being a much better game.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Last Guardian dropped through my letterbox at the weekend courtesy of boomerang rentals. Its a cool game and I'm enjoying my time with it but the camera and controls sometimes make me want to scream out loud.

Its the sort of experience you have to be in the mood for and if you are its cool to just walk round and digest but if you try to force yourself to play it gets frustrating fast.

Only maybe 5 hours in but yeah, neat game.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I put in a few hours into DAI and got distracted. I never booted up Witcher 3
Witcher 3 seems like a game I should play on a long weekend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sefal posted:

I put in a few hours into DAI and got distracted. I never booted up Witcher 3
Witcher 3 seems like a game I should play on a long weekend.

You're not going to beat Witcher 3 in a (long) weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The thing that irks me most about DA:I is that it's now cheaper to buy a whole new copy of the GOTY edition then it is to buy all the dlc seperately. Not that I really plan on playing the dlc but still