Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We'll never know the details of Russ' triple double and the MONSTER Joffrey game (5 points and 2 rebounds in five minutes) to finally pull ahead of the terrifying backcourt that is Jeremy Lin and Victor Oladipo

His point guard is Joel Embiid. I know this because I've been having to battle his coach in the sim to keep him as point guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

His point guard is Joel Embiid. I know this because I've been having to battle his coach in the sim to keep him as point guard.

Just change him back, I'd rather win against these try hards than run a cool and fun sim where Embiid will be the point forward of our dreams

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

Just change him back, I'd rather win against these try hards than run a cool and fun sim where Embiid will be the point forward of our dreams

lmao

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ehhh Hayward only had like 1-2 seasons as Best White Guy after Dirk started to decline, and people starting writing off Kevin Love, but now Jokic has clearly taken over. Unless slavs aren't white, I forget what our judgement was on that ?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Your coach is still putting Jeremy Lin in at point during the games and he's getting all of the assists anyways so it's not a big change but i'll take Embiid out of the starting PG slot hahah

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think the Cavs' team was just pasted into the Google Doc bc Lebron was at the point and I thought that would be a fun team. Maybe not so good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Ehhh Hayward only had like 1-2 seasons as Best White Guy after Dirk started to decline, and people starting writing off Kevin Love, but now Jokic has clearly taken over. Unless slavs aren't white, I forget what our judgement was on that ?

Euros have never been white, you know this Evan

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tadashi posted:

I think the Cavs' team was just pasted into the Google Doc bc Lebron was at the point and I thought that would be a fun team. Maybe not so good.

Yeah I've been going by the pimping posts for lineups, and if theres no pimping post, I go to the spreadsheet

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

lmfao

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess someone could make a team with almost only forwards except for the shittiest guards imaginable on the bench and see what 2k does with it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I know it's a long shot to convince people my Magic Pipers can beat the Bulls. It's especially so since we seem to be assuming health - though I'll throw out there that there's a pretty low chance none of those guys are hobbled or sitting come the playoffs, especially given Gasol's and Horford's history and age.

But we have some advantages. Despite his rep, seemingly based on college or body type or something, Wall is actually a bad defender. Every stat says he's bad. Every year he gets housed in the playoffs. Actually watching him reveals a guy who only understands playground D and is surprisingly easy to blow by, perhaps cause he plays too close and has poor anticipation. He's gonna get squelched in isolation against Lillard, one of the top ISO players in the league, and he's gonna get rubbed out by Gobert and Chandler screens. He's a mediocre finisher who's no threat to shoot and will be going inside on the best rim protector on the planet, so he won't draw any help and is gonna need every ounce of his passing to get the right pass in while every other defender is glued to their guy. He's the perfect matchup for Lillard's limited defensive abilities cause he can't just shake him and shoot or drag him through screens (Lillard's real weakness) because he can't shoot coming out of them.

So the offense has to make shots elsewhere. PG is a great shooter off the screen, but Horford and Gasol are not high level screeners, and while both can shoot getting to play another slow big who can't dribble on the perimeter is Anderson's dream. Inside, the rebounding battle will be insanely one sided - Gobert, Anderson, and Bolomboy are all great rebounders. Marc and Al will get confused boxing out for each other then politely deferring. But Millsap and Randolph ain't walking through that door - I already sent them both home, a powerful psychological blow. Crabbe is a low volume catch and shoot guy he doesn't need to be planned for, likewise their bench, apart from Harris who fortunately is just a medium useful ISO guy and a black hole who can't take advantage of their shooters.

The interior D is good and George is a high level perimeter defender. Scheming to switch him onto Lillard is probably necessary to keep Crabbe and Wall from letting him put up Isaiah Thomas numbers, and fortunately big small perimeter matchups get you big time ref pity on fouls. Lillard has the passing and Gobert, Mahinmi (a top per minute screen assister), and Chandler the physicality to get the ball into the hands of Manu, Malcolm, Mike Scott, and Ryan Anderson in space where all are elite shooters. One of the Marc/Al duo will have to play on the perimeter where their slow foot speed is a liability - against stretch fours, there are functionally THREE bad defenders starting, because there is no 4 defender at all. That should be enough to force Harris onto the court a lot and gently caress up the Bull's otherwise dreamy passing, or Tucker at the 4 which gives Ryno a safe hiding spot.

Chicago is more talented 1-5, but this is actually a painful matchup for them. They're built to shoot off of Wall drive and kicks, but those are gonna be few and far between. His other best skill, transition, is a no go with two slow 5s so it'll have to be a two man game with George - not bad but hard to get a mismatch or power play. Pittslando is big 2-5 and unafraid to switch constantly against weak screens so George will be out of his element and will make the bad decision to start dribbling and going 1 on 1 as he often has in Indianapolis. On the other end, the 1-8 elite shooting and superior rebounding of the Pipers puts stress on the Bulls exactly where they least want it, rendering the paint clogging of Gasol and Horford moot. Their hopes may come down to hot shooting from guys named "PJ", "Toby", and "Allen" so if you think a suburban middle school class is the right tool to win a playoff series so be it, but it ain't.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but if the ability (or supposed lack thereof) to set screens features heavily in why you think your team should win, your team's already lost.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

alansmithee posted:

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but if the ability (or supposed lack thereof) to set screens features heavily in why you think your team should win, your team's already lost.

Have you watched an NBA game in the last 10 years cause that's basically the exact opposite of true

The pick and roll and perimeter screens to create 3s is like 80% of every offense now

Edit so as to be clear and not rude: you can create a shot for someone else one of two ways. You can get to a position on the court that forces their defender to help, then either make the right pass or have a teammate make the right pass to the open player. Or you can physically impede their defender and make the pass/have a teammate make the pass. Assists are a clumsy way to get at the former, cause they credit the last passer who isn't always the person who broke the defense, and are awarded arbitrarily.

Stuff like screen assists is a slightly better way to get at the latter. Let's say my pretend team runs some actions, Lillard brings the ball up and screens and hands off to Manu. Both moved towards opposite corners. Ryno is in the corner Manu heads for, and he breaks towards the basket guarded by Tucker. When he gets to the paint he cuts up towards the foul line where Gobert sets a down screen on Tucker. Gasol hesitates cause he can't leave Tucker inside on Gobert and Anderson gets a decent position for a straight ahead three. Manu skips him the ball from over at the break and he makes the shot. Manu gets an assist, but he didn't actually do anything to create the shot. Gobert did more work than Anderson, arguably, by taking two guys out of the play. We accept that John Wall is a good creator of offense for his teammates because he gets 10 assists a game, but many of those are doing what Manu did while Gortat creates the shot with his body. We would never say "if the ability to pass (or supposed lack thereof) features heavily" in a matchup description it's bad, but screens crest as many or more shots in a typical game and have been the deciding factor, or defending them has been, in at least 2 recent finals and countless playoff series. Breaking the Warrior's screen offense won the Cavs their title, and not being able to lost them two others.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 28, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Ummmmmmmmm

Have you watched the Warriors or the cavs?

or like any basketball for that matter

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Officially making the deadline for votes midnight PST since I'll be busy tonight before that so good luck teams~

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ps no one on the Bulls can rap. Consider it. You do not wanna hear Al Horford rhyming. That's preposterous

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Have you watched an NBA game in the last 10 years cause that's basically the exact opposite of true

The pick and roll and perimeter screens to create 3s is like 80% of every offense now

Edit so as to be clear and not rude: you can create a shot for someone else one of two ways. You can get to a position on the court that forces their defender to help, then either make the right pass or have a teammate make the right pass to the open player. Or you can physically impede their defender and make the pass/have a teammate make the pass. Assists are a clumsy way to get at the former, cause they credit the last passer who isn't always the person who broke the defense, and are awarded arbitrarily.

Stuff like screen assists is a slightly better way to get at the latter. Let's say my pretend team runs some actions, Lillard brings the ball up and screens and hands off to Manu. Both moved towards opposite corners. Ryno is in the corner Manu heads for, and he breaks towards the basket guarded by Tucker. When he gets to the paint he cuts up towards the foul line where Gobert sets a down screen on Tucker. Gasol hesitates cause he can't leave Tucker inside on Gobert and Anderson gets a decent position for a straight ahead three. Manu skips him the ball from over at the break and he makes the shot. Manu gets an assist, but he didn't actually do anything to create the shot. Gobert did more work than Anderson, arguably, by taking two guys out of the play. We accept that John Wall is a good creator of offense for his teammates because he gets 10 assists a game, but many of those are doing what Manu did while Gortat creates the shot with his body. We would never say "if the ability to pass (or supposed lack thereof) features heavily" in a matchup description it's bad, but screens crest as many or more shots in a typical game and have been the deciding factor, or defending them has been, in at least 2 recent finals and countless playoff series. Breaking the Warrior's screen offense won the Cavs their title, and not being able to lost them two others.

You missed my point entirely. The ability to set good vs. average screens isn't some make or break skill. It's more a function of the offence design and the ballhandlers being able to create action. In your example you could replace Gobert with basically anyone whose tall and semi-mobile and it's the exact same.

The point isn't that setting screens is bad or whatever you're trying to make out, it's that the difference between a dude who sets strong screens vs. merely ok screens isn't that big, especially when there's a skill deficit in other areas. Like Gasol only being an average screener isn't gonna stop Wall from just blowing by Lillard repeatedly. Nor is Gobert setting good screens gonna make up for the fact that the only dude on the Magic who can create any sort of offense is Lillard.

Also as an aside, I'd say it was more the dominance inside in getting rebounds that won Cleveland their title vs. the Warriors. Obviously disrupting their offense played a part, but the big difference was in rebounding, especially offensive rebounding.

All that said, I actually agree with you that the difference isn't as much as it may seem. Your best point imo was the fact that Gasol and Horford may have reputations greater than their ability as they've aged.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Wow looks like people don't want to see what happens in the next act of Scaring D'Angelo Straight

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

straight up brolic posted:

Wow looks like people don't want to see what happens in the next act of Scaring D'Angelo Straight

its fine, team low rent bad boys is busy ballot stuffing on my side of the league as well. Just like the 1985 draft, this poo poo is rigged!

edit: one last politicking from me:

Kemba Walker vs. Lowry. A wash.
Khris Middleton vs. Jeremy Lamb or Seth Curry. Middleton > Lamb or Curry
Kevin Durant vs. Draymond Green. Durant > Green. This is debatable but I'll take a lights out, elite scorer over a undersized defensive monster.
Barnes vs. Cousins. Cousins > Barnes.
Noel vs. Gortat. Gortat is better on offense, Noel on defense, a wash.

Pretty solid win for me with starters imo. I think the Pistons have a deeper bench, but my bench guys are comparable on the top side (Chandler/Mbah a Moute/Delly are similar to Lamb/Moty/Kilpatrick in talent level).

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Brogeoisie posted:

its fine, team low rent bad boys is busy ballot stuffing on my side of the league as well. Just like the 1985 draft, this poo poo is rigged!

I should have tweeted out my straw poll which isn't specifically against the rules

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

alansmithee posted:

word about screening

I just fundamentally disagree that there isn't a substantial difference between elite and average screeners. And a big part of my post was how screens are in fact creating offense and Gobert is great at it. 6+ screen assists a game means he's creating 2-3 made baskets over an average center. If he was averaging 7 passing assists we'd be talking about how he's an amazing offensive leader, a Jokic or Draymond like unsung linchpin. Which he is, but in a different way the traditional box score doesn't capture. I'd argue he created more shots for the Jazz last year than Lillard did for the Blazers (for their teammates that is obviously Lillard is elite at creating for himself, too) both in absolute numbers and relative to the average at their positions.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Brogeoisie posted:

Kevin Durant vs. Draymond Green. Durant > Green. This is debatable but I'll take a lights out, elite scorer over a undersized defensive monster.

Pretty solid win for me with starters imo. I think the Pistons have a deeper bench, but my bench guys are comparable on the top side (Chandler/Mbah a Moute/Delly are similar to Lamb/Moty/Kilpatrick in talent level).

Noel isn't better on defense either but your team is still better

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Brogeoisie posted:

Your 1-2-3 lineup of KKK is pretty stellar. You guys should wear pointy hoods and vote trump and just own it.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
win 10-7.

win 14-2.

win 13-4.

win 12-10.

I'll have the semi-finals up tomorrow sometime in the afternoon.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Brogeoisie posted:

Lol ballot stuffing. You just have a giant bitch on your team and people recognize it. Don't worry, I'll let him join up after our inevitable title.

Also Lowry's better than Walker (and I say that as a huge fan of Kemba). Over 3-5 years I'd maybe prefer having Walker just because he's younger, but for the next couple I think Lowry's easily better. I actually don't think it's that debatable that Durant's better than Green (being a giant bitch aside) but the difference between Barnes and Cousins is huge. I think my starters are better, albeit it's close. I have a feeling Khris Middleton's on the way to get Demarre Carroll overrated very soon (if he's not already).

DeimosRising posted:

I just fundamentally disagree that there isn't a substantial difference between elite and average screeners. And a big part of my post was how screens are in fact creating offense and Gobert is great at it. 6+ screen assists a game means he's creating 2-3 made baskets over an average center. If he was averaging 7 passing assists we'd be talking about how he's an amazing offensive leader, a Jokic or Draymond like unsung linchpin. Which he is, but in a different way the traditional box score doesn't capture. I'd argue he created more shots for the Jazz last year than Lillard did for the Blazers (for their teammates that is obviously Lillard is elite at creating for himself, too) both in absolute numbers and relative to the average at their positions.

Yeah I just don't see that. Especially since all the "elite screeners" coincidentally are dudes who really can't do anything with the ball outside of 5' from the basket. It's pretty much a bunch of dudes who are told to stand in a spot while some ballhandler runs a defender into them. Horford and Gasol don't get "screen assists" because they get real assists and/or are scoring points. Most likely in a year or three when they really start slowing down we will start hearing more how they're good screeners as they lose the skills to do other stuff on offense.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

alansmithee posted:

Lol ballot stuffing. You just have a giant bitch on your team and people recognize it. Don't worry, I'll let him join up after our inevitable title.

Also Lowry's better than Walker (and I say that as a huge fan of Kemba). Over 3-5 years I'd maybe prefer having Walker just because he's younger, but for the next couple I think Lowry's easily better. I actually don't think it's that debatable that Durant's better than Green (being a giant bitch aside) but the difference between Barnes and Cousins is huge. I think my starters are better, albeit it's close. I have a feeling Khris Middleton's on the way to get Demarre Carroll overrated very soon (if he's not already).

Yeah I just don't see that. Especially since all the "elite screeners" coincidentally are dudes who really can't do anything with the ball outside of 5' from the basket. It's pretty much a bunch of dudes who are told to stand in a spot while some ballhandler runs a defender into them. Horford and Gasol don't get "screen assists" because they get real assists and/or are scoring points. Most likely in a year or three when they really start slowing down we will start hearing more how they're good screeners as they lose the skills to do other stuff on offense.

I think your team is poorly designed but obviously the league disagrees (and is very, very wrong). My teams length destroys yours -- how does your team guard 4 out shooters? it can't, straight up. You can't play Green and Cousins and Noel at the same time if I'm playing Barnes at the 4. Cousins cant guard the perimeter. My team has a much, much easier time defending your team because of my elite shooting across the board and switching ability.

Middleton is super underrated still despite putting up stats , being a 40 percent 3 pt shooter and being a 6'8 defensive weapon and RAPM superstar year in and year out. He was injured for half the year so people forgot about him I guess. How does Seth Curry or Lamb guard him? They can't. Who guards Cousins you say? How about loving TYSON Chandler.

I think your bench is better than mine overall but my team has WAY better cohesion and makes more sense and would absolutely win in a simulation, as god intended.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

alansmithee posted:

Not all screens are ball screens, many good screeners are good on offense otherwise, I just...the notion that all bigs are interchangeable screeners is so far from what pro basketball is like it's hard for me to wrap my head around. It's a pick up ball perspective

Deadbeat Dad posted:

win 10-7.

win 14-2.

win 13-4.

win 12-10.

I'll have the semi-finals up tomorrow sometime in the afternoon.

Lol why would 5 people only vote on one matchup? Who are you weirdos

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

I DEMAND A RECOUNT

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I DEMAND A RECOUNT

Haha no im sure it's legit I just want to know who the people are that decided they had to vote on one matchup and one matchup only

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Brogeoisie posted:

I think your team is poorly designed but obviously the league disagrees (and is very, very wrong). My teams length destroys yours -- how does your team guard 4 out shooters? it can't, straight up. You can't play Green and Cousins and Noel at the same time if I'm playing Barnes at the 4. Cousins cant guard the perimeter. My team has a much, much easier time defending your team because of my elite shooting across the board and switching ability.

Middleton is super underrated still despite putting up stats , being a 40 percent 3 pt shooter and being a 6'8 defensive weapon and RAPM superstar year in and year out. He was injured for half the year so people forgot about him I guess. How does Seth Curry or Lamb guard him? They can't. Who guards Cousins you say? How about loving TYSON Chandler.

I think your bench is better than mine overall but my team has WAY better cohesion and makes more sense and would absolutely win in a simulation, as god intended.

Was Chandler even in your starting lineup? Also Chandler has looked cooked for awhile now, Cousins would walk all over him. I'd stick him on Barnes the other way no problem. Middleton is a solid shooter for sure, but he's a largely low volume guy. If you're actually playing him at SG, he's not gonna be able to guard Curry at all.

Unlike a lot of folks I don't think my team is flawless, but I think you're really overrating dudes who are largely roleplayers.

DeimosRising posted:

Not all screens are ball screens, many good screeners are good on offense otherwise, I just...the notion that all bigs are interchangeable screeners is so far from what pro basketball is like it's hard for me to wrap my head around. It's a pick up ball perspective

To the first, they're not totally interchangeable. It's just the difference isn't that much, especially because dudes who are more offensively skilled bigs aren't gonna be wasted just setting a bunch of picks (since they can actually do something with the ball). It's exactly the type of thing that dudes like to exaggerate the impact of in some attempt to sound smarter or whatever. "heh yeah sure KAT may be putting up 25/12 at 21 but have you seen his poor quality screens? Obviously he's actually bad, and only someone with my superior intellect realizes that". It reminds me of when talking about spacing came into vogue a couple years ago, and dudes in here were talking about teams like the Clippers not being able to shoot 3s because they didn't have guys who could space the floor-despite the fact that the clippers were like 4th in 3s at the time (both number and percentage). Also if it's so far from pro basketball, whos the super-screener on the Warriors? Or the Cavs for that matter.

As to the second, I only voted on my own matchup. Don't like either of the Clippers or Jazz, Houston/Spurs was too close to call imo, and although I think the Bulls are better voting for them is against my best interest (since I think they're better than my team). Also I'm a bit surprised because the first round I think my matchup had the fewest votes.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

alansmithee posted:

As to the second, I only voted on my own matchup. Don't like either of the Clippers or Jazz, Houston/Spurs was too close to call imo, and although I think the Bulls are better voting for them is against my best interest (since I think they're better than my team). Also I'm a bit surprised because the first round I think my matchup had the fewest votes.

Lol man you're taking it a little too seriously if you're not voting on other matchups just because it would possibly hurt your chances to win in future rounds. Please participate

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I find all this politicking unbecoming and distasteful for such a classy and learned group. Vote with your heart and keep it to yourself. Hold your head high.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lol man you're taking it a little too seriously if you're not voting on other matchups just because it would possibly hurt your chances to win in future rounds. Please participate

As a Pistons fan I'm also honor bound to never support the Bulls.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

alansmithee posted:

As a Pistons fan I'm also honor bound to never support the Bulls.

Well I can understand that. Carry on

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

and although I think the Bulls are better voting for them is against my best interest (since I think they're better than my team).

This is a bigger bitch move than Durant joining the Warriors

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tristan Thompson was 5th in the league in SAST and the Warriors don't run their screens through a single guy at high volume (Zaza is a per minute leader but doesn't play high minutes. He's also mostly good cause he moves egregiously on every screen but hey if it works I guess). That's like asking "heh if scoring is so good who's the star scorer for the Spurs smart guy" back in 2014, like why are you playing weird gotcha games

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

You also look like a loving idiot if you politic so there's that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

You also look like a loving idiot if you politic so there's that

Just over here trading votes in my very important forums game wouldn't want to risk a bad matchup

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My cabal of youth voters sit poised, ready to bend your pathetic competition to my will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Western Conference Voting:

Rockets (1) vs Clippers (2)

Vote Here: https://strawpoll.com/dgrsrz7z

Eastern Conference Voting:

Bulls (1) vs Pistons (3)

Vote Here: https://strawpoll.com/zgrdapzs

Deadline will be midnight PST.