Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Horsebanger posted:

There's a channel called red eye reviews that watches all his movies with a comic eye and is generally a funny look at them, especially from where it starts to where it ends...

Way back in the day a bunch of my circle went to see "On Deadly Ground" in the theater. After the movie, we ended up in someone's apartment, and a bunch of people with martial arts or shooting experience sat around just looking at each other until someone finally said, "what the hell was that?".

We were unable to reach a consensus on exactly what the gently caress that movie was. bad, sure, but that's the easy part. On Deadly Ground defies classification into exactly how it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

He was a veteran in WW2 and he is getting around in crouches? lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1788662562558501155

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Budzilla posted:

He's lookin pretty healthy for a hundred years old or so.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Where would one find the most up to date map on the refinery strikes? It seems the strike on the Salavat refinery flew under the radar both for Russian air defence and western media.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1788821101813870671

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
drone attack on refinery in Kaluga :tif:

The Pentagon states that it has prevented the Russian military from using unauthorised Starlink internet terminals

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Budzilla posted:

Don't you know how many Ukrainian 100 year-olds are sleeping on the streets and getting around in crutches?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I might be projecting but "working closely with Starlink and SpaceX" sound like they called Musk and told him to knock this poo poo off right now

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sekenr posted:

I might be projecting but "working closely with Starlink and SpaceX" sound like they called Musk and told him to knock this poo poo off right now

Goodness knows if the moron is capable of registering basic facts now.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Don't you know how many Ukrainian 100 year-olds are sleeping on the streets and getting around in crutches?
You're right, the only thing these poor veterans have are their service medals they trudge around in everyday.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sekenr posted:

who knows, but Russian use of Starlink was reported like a month ago and they were "looking into it" or something and then a few days ago E. Warren urged DoD to do something about it, raising national security concerns

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1788848504728617012
And here goes, it looks like. Still too early to tell what the vatniks are getting up to at the moment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
crosspost lmao dude got Yezhoved

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-gordon-black-arrested-tiktok-girlfriend-south-korea/32936746.html

quote:

In more lighthearted videos, Vashchuk and Black can be seen partying together at bars and discussing the cult Russian movies Brother and Brother 2, with Black saying he fell asleep during the first film, which stars the late Russian movie star Sergei Bodrov.

I think we know why he was arrested now

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1788848504728617012
And here goes, it looks like. Still too early to tell what the vatniks are getting up to at the moment.

From Reuters:

quote:

A senior Ukrainian military source who declined to be named said that Russian forces had pushed 1 km inside the Ukrainian border and were aiming to push the Ukrainian armed forces as far back as 10 km inside Ukraine. Kyiv's forces were trying to hold them back.
Fears grew in March over the Kremlin's intentions in Kharkiv region when Russian President Vladimir Putin called for the creation of a buffer zone inside Ukrainian territory that he said was needed to protect Russia.

this loving obsession with 'buffer zones', from 'anything East of Elbe is Soviet/Russian buffer zone' to this

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
A ''buffer zone'' is bull poo poo. It's just an excuse to be used for the rest of the world to justify the invasion. Do you remember the last time this term was used? Yeah, me either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ukraine was supposed to be the buffer zone

and the baltics because nato is at your doorstep

and then western europe because the uk is right there

and then alaska because of what america is going to do to take alaska back

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

You need geographic buffer zones especially when you have a nuclear deterrent.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Russia has a right to defend itself from a nation they've been antagonizing for years and that they have now invaded without provocation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Buffer zones within buffer zones within buffer zones. Ukraine was a buffer zone; loving up the invasion means we need a buffer zone in the border oblasts. loving up that operation means we need a buffer zone in the border villages. loving up that means we need a buffer zone between the corner shop we occupied and the post office across the street that we didn't reach

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

russia is a buffer zone for moscow in the event of russian invasion

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1788900595136397777

quote:

Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the counteroffensive of the russian federation in the Kharkiv region.

"As of 7-8 in the morning, a fierce artillery battle took place. At that time, the russian offensive was stopped," the head of state said during a press conference with the President of Slovakia, Zuzanna Čaputová.

He added that the russian army can increase and raise additional forces in this direction. However, the Ukrainian military command was preparing for such actions.
For now, it seems they've been halted. But they're going to try again as soon as they regroup.

Poldran
Aug 31, 2023
I have been finding this thread a really interesting news source - thanks to all you posters who know what you are talking about!

(new account, lost my old one but been lurking these forums without posting much since about 2001!!)

Is there any news on when we will see F-16s doing their thing? Also, any insight into how they will actually be used? I guess dropping exploding poo poo on incoming meat waves or more than that?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Poldran posted:

I have been finding this thread a really interesting news source - thanks to all you posters who know what you are talking about!

(new account, lost my old one but been lurking these forums without posting much since about 2001!!)

Is there any news on when we will see F-16s doing their thing? Also, any insight into how they will actually be used? I guess dropping exploding poo poo on incoming meat waves or more than that?

F-16 will be purely be a launch platform for the various missiles NATO has. It's not going to flying over Donbas dropping JDAMs or dog fighting Russia jets.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Kharkiv - update from DeepStateUA, translated by SpecialKhersonCat account (some destroyed RU equipment and killed units in original)

quote:

Today, Russians began an attack on the Kharkiv region from the Russian side, crossing the state border of Ukraine. Deepstate about the situation in the region:

“In the area of ​​Kharkiv region, hostilities by the enemy began

The fighting began with heavy shelling from various weapons of border settlements in the Kharkov region. Currently, shelling continues, in particular, in the area of ​​the city of Vovchansk. EW and UAV systems are also actively used.

Russians is trying to enter and gain a foothold in a number of settlements along the border, in particular, in the villages of Strelecha-Krasne-Pylna-Borysivka. Attempts are also being made by Russians to attack in the settlements of Gatishche-Pletenivka. The main Russian forces are currently infantry with the support of a small amount of equipment. They do not dare to move beyond the above-mentioned settlements, perhaps the use of major forces is expected.

The available resources that the enemy has used at the moment will not be enough for a deep advance. Currently, the situation is such that Russians are destabilizing the border areas. But it is not known how many main forces they are ready to use for this maneuver.

Separately, we would like to mention the area of Sagittarius-Red-Pilna-Borysivka. In advance, Russians made attempts to saturate the personnel in the villages, in particular, in the village of Pylna, which we will write about in more detail separately. You can claim to repel all attacks, distort information, but the responsible persons who should have reacted to it from the first minutes are now thinking about what to do with it.

In the media, actions from the enemy were expected. Even more, units of the Defense Forces, which directly hold positions along the border, were waiting for them. Now everything is in their hands, and they are making maximum efforts to repulse the next Russian offensive actions. The task of the entire society is not to panic, but to help our fighters on the front lines. The civilian population in the border areas should not be fooled, but should listen to calls from local authorities, in particular, regarding evacuation.”

/2. Deepstate: “One of the results of the Russian offensive actions on the northern border of the Kharkiv region

Preliminarily, 3 units of equipment were burned on the ground outside the settlements of Morokhovets-Oliynikov. Russians were moving from the side of Pylna.”

map from DeepStateUA

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

There's a channel called red eye reviews that watches all his movies with a comic eye and is generally a funny look at them, especially from where it starts to where it ends...

This is always worth reposting.

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIHyF7UWY4

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Tank loses hit 3k
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1
Tanks (3000, of which destroyed: 2001, damaged: 156, abandoned: 329, captured: 514)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1788900595136397777

For now, it seems they've been halted. But they're going to try again as soon as they regroup.

Russia's "strategy" is basically to just throw bodies and steel at everything they can until it is completely destroyed, so stopping them before they are within range to do to Kharkiv what they did to Bakhmut and Avdiivka is very important.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

The_Franz posted:

Russia's "strategy" is basically to just throw bodies and steel at everything they can until it is completely destroyed, so stopping them before they are within range to do to Kharkiv what they did to Bakhmut and Avdiivka is very important.

Kharkiv is something like 30 times larger than Avdiivka, I'm not sure they could pull the same stunt if they tried.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I know it's Russia we're talking about/dunking on here, but even by the standards of their own suicidal non-tactics it makes absolutely no sense at all for them to go so completely off the rails like this and throw mobik meatwaves and go-kart armadas at loving Kharkiv.

I can only guess the $61b package has Monke's Minions thoroughly spooked, so they're going hard with the only tactic they know in some weird hope that Kharkiv will collapse by next Sunday or something. loving mental.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Russians probably don't intend to take Kharkiv, but to shell it in order to force Ukraine to reallocate troops from the south and southeast to defend it.

It's too bad Ukraine didn't have the resources to properly fortify the northern border after they repulsed the initial attacks from the north.

It's also a bit disconcerting that the Russians managed to build up enough forces unnoticed near the border to launch an attack.

The road network at the border near Strilecha, Krasne, Pylne and Borisivka is pretty sparse, so they've probably built up staging grounds near the border. The attack on Vovchansk, on the other hand, is probably supplied directly from Belgorod via the Nezhegol railhead.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, they won't take Kharkiv, but depending on how many resources Ukraine will need to divert, this effort can still cause some real damage.

Tatarigami has a good thread on it: https://x.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1788960852067983770

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 10, 2024

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aw rats I missed the seagal chat but one last fun tidbit is sean connery paid for seagal to break his arm

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1789011289596973117

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Aw rats I missed the seagal chat but one last fun tidbit is sean connery paid for seagal to break his arm
Why?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

For his last Bond movie, "Never Say Never Again," Connery hired Seagal as an Aikibo instructor. At one point Connery was feeling tough and accused Seagal of pulling his punches and not trying hard enough. So Seagal cranked it up a notch and ended up breaking Connery's wrist.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

For his last Bond movie, "Never Say Never Again," Connery hired Seagal as an Aikibo instructor. At one point Connery was feeling tough and accused Seagal of pulling his punches and not trying hard enough. So Seagal cranked it up a notch and ended up breaking Connery's wrist.

If this story is even partially true that is the most damage anyone has ever dealt to another human body using Aikido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What is that Segal clodhopping supposed to look like?