Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hughmoris posted:

Assuming we all make it through this with our jobs and health intact, will anyone else be looking for deals on anything in particular?

I really like those new RAM 1500s....

We were planning on getting some sort of wagon for my wife next summer, if we end up surviving. If there are deals earlier, maybe we move that up?

Wonder if there will be a cash for clunkers 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Let’s hope not re: Cash For Clunkers. Environmental consequences aside, C4C removed a ton of low-end vehicles from the market that were previously generally available for lower-income folks to own and created scarcity while there was still demand for them which ultimately raised used vehicle prices on a cohort that had the least ability to cope with increased costs. I haven’t seen data supporting it but I have to suspect said vehicles’ removal from the market has also in part amplified the rise of buy-here pay-here lots over the past decade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah c 4 c was terrible

if they really want to move cars should just pour money in to EVs and hybrids, maybe cars getting above X fuel economy, and apply cash at point of sale rather than fuckin about with tax credits that don't help lower income people

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, there's a lot of debate back and forth whether C4C was a net good/bad thing.

Wonder how auto dealer lobbies feel about it!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Over the past few days I have been looking at auto industry stocks to try and figure out which are going to melt down even further (spoiler: most of them) but beyond Ford ($156bn debt) and GM ($104bn) are the large auto dealer chains.

Penske ($PAG) has $28 million in cash on hand and is carrying $8.7bn in debt. Lithia ($LAD): $82n cash, $3.8bn debt. Autonation ($AN): $42m cash, $6bn debt. The list goes on.

We can’t keep doing this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Penske was one of the rich car owners pissing and moaning about the grand prix being cancelled saying everything is fine it's just the flu why are we doing this blah blah blah.

gently caress him and all the other rich assholes that clearly don't give a poo poo about the non 1%

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been craving a Miata for a long time, and while I have a multi-year plan to acquire one, the right deal could make that a right now plan.

Just use your Trumpbucks checks on an older one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been craving a Miata for a long time, and while I have a multi-year plan to acquire one, the right deal could make that a right now plan.

Before the outbreak started I was looking at new miata inventory in 500 miles of me and there were like 3 cars, only 1 manual. I wonder if it was just because the 20s haven't arrived yet so you may have better luck now. Considering mazda is doing 0.9% financing on them, custom order, build it exactly how you want it, go to several dealers and see who will give you the best discount.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Penske was one of the rich car owners pissing and moaning about the grand prix being cancelled saying everything is fine it's just the flu why are we doing this blah blah blah.

gently caress him and all the other rich assholes that clearly don't give a poo poo about the non 1%

He owns the sport and IMS now, the Hulman Georges sold it last year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ventilator makers will soon be saving $0.25 per unit by making all the touchpoints out of recycled milk jugs.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/mar/0320-coronavirus-update-4-vent.html

quote:

GM and Ventec Life Systems, in cooperation with StopTheSpread.org, the nation's coordinated private sector response to the COVID-19, are collaborating to enable Ventec to increase production of its respiratory care products to support the growing fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. Ventec will leverage GM’s logistics, purchasing and manufacturing expertise to build more of their critically important ventilators. To support these efforts, StopTheSpread.org will continue to unite business leaders across the country to collect resources to complement and support government efforts.

Quote from Ventec:

“With GM’s help, Ventec will increase ventilator production,” said Chris Kiple, Ventec Life Systems CEO. “By tapping their expertise, GM is enabling us to get more ventilators to more hospitals much faster. This partnership will help save lives.”

Quote from StopTheSpread.org:

"We are grateful for the partnership between GM and Ventec Life Systems, which will enable Ventec to drastically scale production of critically needed respiratory care products. This is a vital step in delivering relief to our healthcare system, which is threatened by the spread of COVID-19. As this virus continues to endanger the lives of countless Americans, StopTheSpread.org is working to unite the business community around a common threat to our economy and our way of life. We know the strength of this effort relies on urgent coordination between the public and private sectors in order to get through this crisis.”

Quote from General Motors:

“We are working closely with Ventec to rapidly scale up production of their critically important respiratory products to support our country’s fight against the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Mary Barra, GM Chairman and CEO. “We will continue to explore ways to help in this time of crisis.”

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of dying because no ventilators is available or ending up on a GM engineered ventilator.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Previa_fun posted:

I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of dying because no ventilators is available or ending up on a GM engineered ventilator.

As long as it's the powertrain engineers and not the ones who build the interiors they should be great.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As long as it's the powertrain engineers and not the ones who build the interiors they should be great.

MyFordTouchVentilator

Everything is a touch screen

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Ventilators covered in 75% piano black gloss plastic, just you wait.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Just wait until middle management and the accounting department gets involved in the approval process.

I can’t wait for the “Real People, Not Actors” ventilator commercials.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

Ventilators covered in 75% piano black gloss plastic, just you wait.

Nah, it’s american automakers so fake wood grained plastic. Gotta keep the ICU classy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drgitlin posted:

He owns the sport and IMS now, the Hulman Georges sold it last year.

That's right I forgot. What a douche, I lost all respect for him when I saw him on local news acting like the people that run this city are a bunch of idiots.

Yeah gently caress this city that's trying to protect it's residents! Idiot.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

"the patient's left lung collapsed"

"cylinder deactivation!"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

That's right I forgot. What a douche, I lost all respect for him when I saw him on local news acting like the people that run this city are a bunch of idiots.

Yeah gently caress this city that's trying to protect it's residents! Idiot.

For me it was seeing him take all his teams to the White House for cold McDonalds and then getting the medal of freedom from Trump.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drgitlin posted:

For me it was seeing him take all his teams to the White House for cold McDonalds and then getting the medal of freedom from Trump.

Jesus Christ gently caress that guy. He's probably out in the middle of the Gulf right now on his giant yacht that he brings here every year for the race (seriously, it's loving huge and dwarfs everything around it), having supplies helicoptered in and laughing at all the poors getting the corona virus while he smokes cigars and eats shrimp cocktail.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jesus Christ gently caress that guy. He's probably out in the middle of the Gulf right now on his giant yacht that he brings here every year for the race (seriously, it's loving huge and dwarfs everything around it), having supplies helicoptered in and laughing at all the poors getting the corona virus while he smokes cigars and eats shrimp cocktail.

:capitalism:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tremek posted:

Over the past few days I have been looking at auto industry stocks to try and figure out which are going to melt down even further (spoiler: most of them) but beyond Ford ($156bn debt) and GM ($104bn) are the large auto dealer chains.

Penske ($PAG) has $28 million in cash on hand and is carrying $8.7bn in debt. Lithia ($LAD): $82n cash, $3.8bn debt. Autonation ($AN): $42m cash, $6bn debt. The list goes on.

We can’t keep doing this.

most of the debt is floor plan financing for the dealer groups. it's collateralized by the new vehicle inventory the stores are carrying. it's a little bit ugly if people stop buying cars but the bank is probably gonna work with them on those.

not sure where your numbers came from since Penske's most recent 10-K indicates $4bn in floorplan debt and $2.3bn in non-floorplan debt (that one is the problem number).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

GM engineering is pretty good, if there's money-no-object and the cost side guys don't get in to it you'll probably get a good product.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GM engineering is pretty good, if there's money-no-object and the cost side guys don't get in to it you'll probably get a good product.

Quoting this. The barrier for GM the past 50 years has been its accountants.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, which manufacturer is going to fold/be absorbed by another?

Some economic leaders are saying we could be looking at 30% unemployment in the next quarter. It make less sense to prop up every automaker when they'll all be at zero production in the near term and greatly reduced production in the medium term. This seems like exactly the time when we're going to undergo a massive market correction.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
General Ford Motors Motor Company Company. Trash the Silverado, double production of F-150.

Jeep and Ram bought off FIAT by Blackstone, rest sold for scrap.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

LibCrusher posted:

General Ford Motors Motor Company Company. Trash the Silverado, double production of F-150.

Jeep and Ram bought off FIAT by Blackstone, rest sold for scrap.

Wouldn't it be easier to call it "the American Motor Company"? :mmmhmm:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to call it "the American Motor Company"? :mmmhmm:

Matador Edition Ram truck :hmmyes:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

bull3964 posted:

Some economic leaders are saying we could be looking at 30% unemployment in the next quarter. It make less sense to prop up every automaker when they'll all be at zero production in the near term and greatly reduced production in the medium term. This seems like exactly the time when we're going to undergo a massive market correction.

Gotta be Nissan. They were already in bad shape pre-economy tanking. Also I said earlier in this thread I'd be surprised if Nissan was still around in 5 years so I want to look like some kind of oracle.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

TheWevel posted:

Gotta be Nissan. They were already in bad shape pre-economy tanking. Also I said earlier in this thread I'd be surprised if Nissan was still around in 5 years so I want to look like some kind of oracle.

Speaking of Nissan, the Kicks was the only rental car I've ever returned after a few miles because of how cheap, flimsy and gutless it felt. The Golf Sportwagen (a.k.a. Jetta with a big ole butt) I got in exchange felt and drove much better.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most of the debt is floor plan financing for the dealer groups. it's collateralized by the new vehicle inventory the stores are carrying. it's a little bit ugly if people stop buying cars but the bank is probably gonna work with them on those.

not sure where your numbers came from since Penske's most recent 10-K indicates $4bn in floorplan debt and $2.3bn in non-floorplan debt (that one is the problem number).

Numbers are from PAG's balance sheet as reported by a ton of different sources:

This is from their most recent 8K filed last month:

My understanding is Net Debt = (Short-term debt + Long-term debt) - (Cash + Cash equivalents).

I'm reasonably confident this sorta fancy adding-and-subtracting is literally why you get paid the big bucks but when they have $28m cash on hand after doing hundreds of millions of stock buybacks last year, and your assets are equal to your liabilities and the bottom just fell out of your industry: does it matter?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Since Nissan was already mentioned, I will make a bold prediction of Mazda being fully absorbed into the Toyota Group.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Godzilla07 posted:

Since Nissan was already mentioned, I will make a bold prediction of Mazda being fully absorbed into the Toyota Group.

You need to be big to survive, because the car industry needs a lot of scale in terms of shared platforms especially now that electrification is going to be mandated, and also because too big to fail. Now that Chrysler owns both Opel and PSA there's no way anything happens to them, Mazda on the other hand...well that new rotary powered sports car probably isn't coming any time soon.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Fantasy Booking car manufacturers is always fun because I want to image what insane poo poo the Honda Type R guys would do to GTRs and MX-5s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Elon promised a thousand ventilators last week and they actually showed up today

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1242247777708576770?s=19

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tremek posted:

Numbers are from PAG's balance sheet as reported by a ton of different sources:

This is from their most recent 8K filed last month:

My understanding is Net Debt = (Short-term debt + Long-term debt) - (Cash + Cash equivalents).

I'm reasonably confident this sorta fancy adding-and-subtracting is literally why you get paid the big bucks but when they have $28m cash on hand after doing hundreds of millions of stock buybacks last year, and your assets are equal to your liabilities and the bottom just fell out of your industry: does it matter?

long term debt probably isn't an issue YET because it hasn't come due - unless you think the car buying/selling industry is permanently, structurally hosed. more important is current liabilities and it's almost all floor plan notes.

i agree their balance sheet and cast position is not good for sure! but you can't just look at net debt and throw up your hands and say "well they're hosed because the net debt number is real big" the floorplan debt is offset directly by assets, and most of their other debt is long term - so if the crisis is like 3-4 months and things go back to relative normal, they can probably survive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the health crisis is going to be 3-4 months. The economic fallout from it is going to be quite a bit longer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Well, the health crisis is going to be 3-4 months. The economic fallout from it is going to be quite a bit longer.

again, kind of dependent on the actions the government takes - but really dealer groups are in trouble because people aren't buying cars not because they're carrying debt

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Inshallah so many dealers go outNof business thst carmakers start to think about direct to consumer sales

Niy likely buy we can alwahs hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Throatwarbler posted:

Elon promised a thousand ventilators last week and they actually showed up today

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1242247777708576770?s=19

Elon... good? No, that can't be right.

Ventilators bad?