Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Murgos posted:

There are enough words written about the horrors of fire bombing and the massed bomber raids of heavily civilian areas that the assertion that some people find those two evil is hardly controversial.

Yeah it kind of is. It's not like they started a war with it. And the idea that it doesn't get worse is completely loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Cyrano4747 posted:

All airplanes should be done up like a van with an airbrushed mural.

They should be painted like the diablos rojos from my country. My country bought second hand Thomas-brand school buses and painted them in a mish-mash of pop culture, mythology, cartoons, famous celebrities imagined by gulag-quality artists and they always included a bucolic, Hudson River Valley-like scene on the back of the roof.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dia...QEILDAA#imgrc=_

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

C.M. Kruger posted:

You want Slayers nose art?

LIGHT COME FORTH!

Anybody that hasn't watched Slayers is missing out. Its an anime thats not anime at all.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

Yeah it kind of is. It's not like they started a war with it. And the idea that it doesn't get worse is completely loving bonkers.

Are you actually going to argue that no one has made that assertion?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I thought you meant Slayer the band. :negative:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pthighs posted:

I thought you meant Slayer the band. :negative:

I did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Murgos posted:

Are you actually going to argue that no one has made that assertion?

Nope.

My argument was summed up by my initial response: :lol:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Faith in humanity restored!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TerryLennox posted:

LIGHT COME FORTH!

Anybody that hasn't watched Slayers is missing out. Its an anime thats not anime at all.

No, I'm good thanks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hey, *I* was going to post a very long article, in this case, Russia's fascist inspiration:

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/16/ivan-ilyin-putins-philosopher-of-russian-fascism/

I don't have a bead on who Putin is aside from an increasingly sloppy megalomaniac, so seeing him recycle an Orthodox Russian philosopher that was super into Hegel, taught by the originater of phenomenology, Edmund Husserl, became ideological buds with friggin' Lenin after the revolution, endorsed a form of Christianity that said "truth is a lie, and God is a feeble fuckup" then went fascist, (first Italian, later Nazi) and then had the good sense to move to Switzerland before the war started, and who throughout WW2 was cheering on the Germans as they attacked the USSR, and if anything became even more extreme after world war two is, ah, interesting.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fearless posted:

No, I'm good thanks.

How about an improved Kongo class JMSDF destroyer getting lost in time and emerging in 1942 before the battle of Midway? (think "The Final Countdown" but with a competent plot this time).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dante80 posted:

How about an improved Kongo class JMSDF destroyer getting lost in time and emerging in 1942 before the battle of Midway? (think "The Final Countdown" but with a competent plot this time).

On whose side would it be fighting?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Phanatic posted:

On whose side would it be fighting?

The struggle of the crew from a modern, peaceful, and wealthy Japan to resist the nationalistic appeal of defending their country, knowing that in this time it is ruled by a brutal, totalitarian and militaristic government is the central theme of the show.

May be an acquired taste, but really beats some poo poo like "The last ship" for me..

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dante80 posted:

The struggle of the crew from a modern, peaceful, and wealthy Japan to resist the nationalistic appeal of defending their country, knowing that in this time it is ruled by a brutal, totalitarian and militaristic government is the central theme of the show.

May be an acquired taste, but really beats some poo poo like "The last ship" for me..

It's a shame they only did the one season of that.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yep, at least the Manga is finished.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Dante80 posted:

(think "The Final Countdown" but with a competent plot this time).

If Tomcats knocking down Zeros with jetwash is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Edit: it was just the carrier, right? Because unrestricted submarine warfare with ADCAPs would be a hell of a thing.

What's the current makeup/spacing of a CVNBG? I read once that if you put one on a map of the US, and put the carrier in Ohio, the destroyer screen would be in like Quebec amd Texas and the 688 boat would be somewhere in the North Atlantic.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 21, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hey, *I* was going to post a very long article, in this case, Russia's fascist inspiration:

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/16/ivan-ilyin-putins-philosopher-of-russian-fascism/

I don't have a bead on who Putin is aside from an increasingly sloppy megalomaniac, so seeing him recycle an Orthodox Russian philosopher that was super into Hegel, taught by the originater of phenomenology, Edmund Husserl, became ideological buds with friggin' Lenin after the revolution, endorsed a form of Christianity that said "truth is a lie, and God is a feeble fuckup" then went fascist, (first Italian, later Nazi) and then had the good sense to move to Switzerland before the war started, and who throughout WW2 was cheering on the Germans as they attacked the USSR, and if anything became even more extreme after world war two is, ah, interesting.

I'd like to know more...in posts not books, i have too many books to read already

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: it was just the carrier, right? Because unrestricted submarine warfare with ADCAPs would be a hell of a thing.

What's the current makeup/spacing of a CVNBG? I read once that if you put one on a map of the US, and put the carrier in Ohio, the destroyer screen would be in like Quebec amd Texas and the 688 boat would be somewhere in the North Atlantic.

Just draw a 1000km circle around a CVN and label it DEATH. There would be small bubbles of more DEATH around other ships and sort of vague squiggly circle of SURPRISE DEATH around the SSN.

ADCAPs are old news. The Mk 48 Mod 7 CBASS is where its at, and they are just comically good murder machines.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

M_Gargantua posted:

ADCAPs are old news. The Mk 48 Mod 7 CBASS is where its at, and they are just comically good murder machines.

When did topedos change from contact detonation/blowing a hole in the side to just blowing all the water out from under the keel? OG Mk48?

Edit: also, when and why did everybody standardize on 21" for heavyweoght torpedos? I remember a Clive Cussler novel about a CIA-contractor ship using Russian fish because the USN wouldn't let him have ADCAPs, and it goes back at least to WWII, u-boats had 21" tubes.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 21, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

M_Gargantua posted:

Just draw a 1000km circle around a CVN and label it DEATH. There would be small bubbles of more DEATH around other ships and sort of vague squiggly circle of SURPRISE DEATH around the SSN.

Didn't an Australian sub surface in the middle of a CVBG a few years ago? I can't find anything on Google offhand and it was during an exercise, so who knows what the RoE was for the engagement (and what, if anything has changed since then).

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't an Australian sub surface in the middle of a CVBG a few years ago? I can't find anything on Google offhand and it was during an exercise, so who knows what the RoE was for the engagement (and what, if anything has changed since then).

The Swedish boat leased to the US for training managed to pull that off five times out of six.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Delivery McGee posted:

When did topedos change from contact detonation/blowing a hole in the side to just blowing all the water out from under the keel?

look up United States torpedo scandal of ww2.

Everyone was trying to develop a torpedo that detonated under the enemy since forever, but it was really hard to make it work.

poo poo, we couldn't make contact detonators work reliably until 1944 or so.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Smiling Jack posted:

Everyone was trying to develop a torpedo that detonated under the enemy since forever, but it was really hard to make it work.

It was uniquely hard for the Americans. Everyone else managed it more or less iirc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carth Dookie posted:

It was uniquely hard for the Americans. Everyone else managed it more or less iirc.

The biggest difference was that most other countries had non-criminal weapon development organizations, whereas BuOrd refused to acknowledge any aspect of a three or four-headed problem with their torpedoes.

Nazi Germany’s magnetic explorers were only marginally more reliable (particularly at the beginning of the war,) than the USNs, but they weren’t hampered by a nearly non-functional contact exploder, a torpedo that was never trim-tested with a warhead, gyro issues, etc etc, so the overall failure rate was much lower. The captains and crews were also properly trained on maintenance and employment, so the fish were in good condition when they got used and weren’t fired with the magnetic exploder active in conditions where it was likely to predetonate.

The Mark XIV scandal should have resulted in admirals hanging from a yardarm somewhere. It was appalling.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Kriegsmarine exploders problems were found out very early on in the war and they disabled it soon after. I want to say it was during the Norway campaign.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Also Donitz had authority over the German equivalent of BuOrd (for sub weapons) as well as the U-boats. So when his captains came back from patrol complaining about malfunctioning torpedoes, he put a boot in the rear end of the weapons division. The American sub commanders didn’t have that kind of clout, so BuOrd could get away with blaming the captains and not fixing he problem.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hot take: a NATO surface combatant with a contemporary loadout would have one hell of a time beating a WWII-era battleship

Delivery McGee posted:

It is usually a Ticonderoga or new Arleigh Burke as the "command" ship (for air defense and surface actions), a pair of older Arleigh Burkes for air defense and ASW duty, at least one attack sub, and then a couple of support ships.

There isn't really a standard "spacing"; ship position varies a lot based on a ton of different factors, none of which I'm particularly well informed on on, so take all this with lots of grains of salt. If you want to take full advantage of the sensor/shooter network, you're limited to LOS distances between ships (currently, anyway...fire over the network might happen in our lifetime I suppose). Most of this positioning stuff is pretty self explanatory - if you're facing a long range missile or competent subsurface threat, you want your shooters more dispersed. If you're looking at a mass air or subsurface attack by rickety old platforms, you want to be less dispersed. Anti-ship ballistic missiles add a whole new layer of complicated to this; terminal interception basically requires an ABM ship to be right up the carrier's rear end.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 21, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

hot take: a NATO surface combatant with a contemporary loadout would have one hell of a time beating a WWII-era battleship

This is assuming their radios to the air component are broken? :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bewbies posted:

Are nuclear cruise missiles or torpedoes in the standard loadout of a blue water destroyer? I'm not a Chinese national, promise.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bewbies posted:

Depends on the battleship, but most modern NATO surface ships are faster than pretty much anything but a post-treaty fast battleship like an Iowa or North Carolina.

Yamato and Musashi could only do 27kts, so if the initial range was out of the BB’s gun range, theoretically an Arleigh Burke or Kongo could just kite it around hitting it with missiles until their magazines ran dry.

If that would be effective or not is another question.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm also wondering whether a conventional Mk48 is something a surface ship would carry, via a deck tube or chopper

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

No. They’ve got Mk46/50/54 ASW torpedoes, but I don’t think western surface ships have carried heavyweight antiship torpedoes in a long time.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You could probably disable even if the target didn’t sink. If everything above deck is blasted you aren’t doing much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
note: my previous hot take has the rather large caveat that none of our extant anti ship munitions are optimized to blow up armored ships.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm also wondering whether a conventional Mk48 is something a surface ship would carry, via a deck tube or chopper

They all carry the lightweight torpedoes for ASW work; I honestly don't know if the current launchers could handle a big one but I am inclined to think they can't.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

I don't think that's controversial at all. Fat load of good a mk45's gonna do ya. Even the harpoons would be subpar.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

This is assuming their radios to the air component are broken? :v:

unsporting

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

unsporting

Well, if you don't account for the cost of mounted weapons or the cost of pilot training, a single F-15E at flyaway cost in 1998 cost about as much as 114 SBD-3s at flyaway cost in 1944.

So screw it, give the battleship about 14 waves of this with centerline 1,000 pound bombs:

And see what effect they can have before this guy ruins the BB superstructure

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

Presumably, as you suggest, the solution to a WWII-era battleship if this came up would be a sub, anyway. See also: the Belgrano.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Alaan posted:

You could probably disable even if the target didn’t sink. If everything above deck is blasted you aren’t doing much.

Pretend it's an Arleigh Burke Flight III. You have a complete loadout of 96 tomohawk cruise missiles (air warfare is for clowns), 1000 lb high explosive warhead on each. Figure that the short range AA on the Iowa will get a few, and the 5" will get a few as well. 550mph is hittable. 75 hits while accounting for mechanical issues? All of them are going to be non-penetrating. If you're lucky, you wreck all the fire control and then you can close within big gun range and shoot 5" shells at the ship until you run out of ammunition. You probably mission kill the boat

Keep in mind that a modernized Iowa will also be shooting back with missiles so that will create some fun times for the DDG. I am assuming we are talking about a 1945 edition. If the Iowa is modernized, no loving way does the destroyer live.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anime cartoon option, does a harpoon have remotely the precision needed to take out fore and aft primary and backup fire directors plus the optics on each turret?