Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Based on my experience from Skyrim, I never install mods of any kind until all of the DLC and updates are finished. Its good to see I wasn't too irrational in that descision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Eh as long as you're even slightly competent the benefits at this stage far, far outweigh the negatives.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

GamingHyena posted:

Same here. Playing on a console makes it even more frustrating as I already had to abandon a game because it would crash every time I went to Red Rocket for some reason. I guess I'll just start a new clean game with just the survival options mod so I can save right before you exit vault 111. At least then if I have to start a new character I don't have to run through the into again and again.

Why would a mod be needed for that? You can start on any difficulty and then switch to survival when you exit the vault.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

God drat why is it so hard to line up conveyors under hoppers. I wound up going with a much less elegant solution for my rejected items hopper. It actually looks pretty cool in motion when items just start dropping in.

Wait a drat second here, is that the PS4 controller used on the PC version of FO4? I might actually use that if so!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

J-Spot posted:

Speaking of this, I just accidentally discovered that hitting the pip boy button during dialogue gets you rude variations on this where the player character just sighs or mutters "shuuut up" under their breath. There's even unique lines uttered for certain NPC's.

It doesn't do anything when I hit the pip boy button, which is the tab key, during conversations. What pip boy button are you talking about?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hi I picked this up in the sale and I need to build some kind of radio beacon and power it.

I'm stuck on the part where I have to wire them up. I build the beacon and a generator, or at least it took my junk and now it shows 3 power at the top, but I cannot loving find either of them in this alley. Since I need to do that to wire them up I'm basically poo poo out of luck? I have absolutely zero loving interest in the base building garbage and just want this done, is there something I'm missing here or is this a glitch or what? It's kinda pissing me off that they are forcing me to do this garbage, I thought I could leave it behind in Sanctuary.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Chard posted:

Hi I picked this up in the sale and I need to build some kind of radio beacon and power it.

I'm stuck on the part where I have to wire them up. I build the beacon and a generator, or at least it took my junk and now it shows 3 power at the top, but I cannot loving find either of them in this alley. Since I need to do that to wire them up I'm basically poo poo out of luck? I have absolutely zero loving interest in the base building garbage and just want this done, is there something I'm missing here or is this a glitch or what? It's kinda pissing me off that they are forcing me to do this garbage, I thought I could leave it behind in Sanctuary.

You might have accidentally stored them into the settlement's workshop. Go into workshop mode, cycle over to the genny or beacon, and if you see a small "1" underneath their icons, then that tells you it is in storage. Click to drop them (close to each other) and then run wire from one to the other.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Suave Fedora posted:

You might have accidentally stored them into the settlement's workshop. Go into workshop mode, cycle over to the genny or beacon, and if you see a small "1" underneath their icons, then that tells you it is in storage. Click to drop them (close to each other) and then run wire from one to the other.

That's got to be it, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

e: I don't think that's it :(

Here's what I'm looking at. I don't see a 1 under this thing and you can see that the generator is giving power from somewhere. Is there more to this settlement area then just the part between the two doors that were locked? The green boundary field suggest there is not.

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 11, 2016

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Zephyrine posted:

Why would a mod be needed for that? You can start on any difficulty and then switch to survival when you exit the vault.

I hadn't started a new game since they created survival mode. I knew you couldn't go from survival down to an easier level and then back up, and assumed you had to start on survival to stay on it. This saved me a lot of time!

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Chard posted:

Here's what I'm looking at. I don't see a 1 under this thing and you can see that the generator is giving power from somewhere. Is there more to this settlement area then just the part between the two doors that were locked? The green boundary field suggest there is not.

Is this Hangman's Alley? Look up and check you didn't accidentally create the generator on top of the awnings or fire stairs or the roof of that little shack. Another possibility is that you created the generator inside the building walls in which case you'll just need to create another one.
The reason I'm saying this is because I've come across a similar bug where the game spawns attacking mobs inside the buildings when Hangman's Alley is under the attack. They can't get out of the building and I can't target them. It eventually ends in "failure to defend the settlement".

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

What perks effect melee bash?

If I pistol whip a low level feral ghoul across the face it does perhaps 5%.

Spending 5 perk points to double that seems pointless.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Speaking of this, I just accidentally discovered that hitting the pip boy button during dialogue gets you rude variations on this where the player character just sighs or mutters "shuuut up" under their breath. There's even unique lines uttered for certain NPC's.

You can interrupt NPCs by bringing up your Pip Boy? I've played this a lot and never knew that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Apoplexy posted:

Wait a drat second here, is that the PS4 controller used on the PC version of FO4? I might actually use that if so!

It's just the ps4 version sadly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

you can use a program called inputmapper to get your pc to treat your ps4 controller as an xbox controller, and from there it's just plug and play.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Only the Basher perk, bayonets and certain stocks increase the damage. You should only use it to stagger (or cripple with the perk) enemies though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nichael posted:

You can interrupt NPCs by bringing up your Pip Boy? I've played this a lot and never knew that.
No, it just means that the button you use to click through dialogue will generate muttered barks corresponding to the general disposition that button represents in dialogue. eg X/square generates "I agree" barks and B/circle generates "shut the gently caress up" barks. The barks can be altered by the identity of the character you're talking to or any chems you're on.

Bethsoft doesn't seem particularly bothered with big reactivity but they have all sorts of these little touches. Like if you activate a construction protectron while wearing a hard hat it will thank you for complying with workplace safety regulations.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 11, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chard posted:

Alternately, go out and do quests and scavenge. Six copper is practically nothing, and it's more fun to actually play the game instead of beating your head against the terrible workshop UI.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Beating your head against the terrible workshop UI is the only thing still worth playing in this game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Basic Chunnel posted:

No, it just means that the button you use to click through dialogue will generate muttered barks corresponding to the general disposition that button represents in dialogue. eg X/square generates "I agree" barks and B/circle generates "shut the gently caress up" barks. The barks can be altered by the identity of the character you're talking to or any chems you're on.

On PC you use the arrow keys for the variant skips, I believe?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephyrine posted:

The only reason to take Basher is if you are using a Shredding Minigun. Double damage on Shredding Minigun turns you into an unstoppable black hole of death. Also you get constant critical hits (from the Basher perk) since it spins so fast, not that it really matters since stuff gets stun-locked and killed in seconds anyway.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

steady posted:

Is this Hangman's Alley? Look up and check you didn't accidentally create the generator on top of the awnings or fire stairs or the roof of that little shack. Another possibility is that you created the generator inside the building walls in which case you'll just need to create another one.
The reason I'm saying this is because I've come across a similar bug where the game spawns attacking mobs inside the buildings when Hangman's Alley is under the attack. They can't get out of the building and I can't target them. It eventually ends in "failure to defend the settlement".

Yup, Hangman's Alley. I think it must be in the walls, I can hear what sounds like a generator if I stand at the bench. I stripped every single other object out of there too. In a way it's good to know it's a known glitchy area, I get nervous with save files in these games.

sector_corrector posted:

Alternately, go out and do quests and scavenge. Six copper is practically nothing, and it's more fun to actually play the game instead of beating your head against the terrible workshop UI.

No doubt, I can find that anywhere. I probably have a small mountain of copper in my other workshop, I don't carry much weight around since my weak and noodly guy either snipes from a mile away or talks people into giving their guns over.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's the point of no return for each faction? I've gotten the impression before that each faction ends up having a quest where you attack another faction, so presumably if I want to side with the railroad I can help the Brotherhood for as long as I want until a quest comes up to kill someone in the railroad or whatever.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Seashell Salesman posted:

The only reason to take Basher is if you are using a Shredding Minigun. Double damage on Shredding Minigun turns you into an unstoppable black hole of death. Also you get constant critical hits (from the Basher perk) since it spins so fast, not that it really matters since stuff gets stun-locked and killed in seconds anyway.

That doesn't sound like fun. I just want to disorient enemies that get too close so I can shot them.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bethsoft doesn't seem particularly bothered with big reactivity but they have all sorts of these little touches.

None of this appears to be happening on the PC version of the game.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So I just had this quest to get information from a man name Cedric or some such in goodneighbor.

The quest had 2 paths

A: charisma check to get the information
B: pay 500 caps to get the information

I failed the charisma check so I had to pay him. After paying him, he turns into a settler. So I could open trade with him and take 506 caps. Normally I would consider that an exploit. But the quest is so oversimplified that I'll consider it my due.

Had it been Oblivion or even New Vegas the quest would have looked like this:

A: Speech check (very hard)
B: Pay caps
C: Sneak into his hotel room and steal the information
-Pickpocket key to hotel room door (medium)
-Lockpick door (medium)
-Speech check hotel clerk for the key (easy)
-bribe hotel clerk for the key (~50 caps)
-pickpocket hotel clerk for the key (easy)
D: Pickpocket the information (very hard)
E: Assassinate him somewhere out of sight and collect the information
F: speech check a thug to kill him in a bar brawl and then collect the information from his corpse
G: poison his drink and then steal the information from his corpse.

Edit: The hotel room is fictional. He has no day/night routine. He just sits on a chair 24 hours a day

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

2house2fly posted:

What's the point of no return for each faction? I've gotten the impression before that each faction ends up having a quest where you attack another faction, so presumably if I want to side with the railroad I can help the Brotherhood for as long as I want until a quest comes up to kill someone in the railroad or whatever.

Just for you:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719128593

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to have to look into the manufacturing thing. I have a bunch of settlements that are either unoccupied or have like 2 people living at them, and if i can turn Finch Farm into jet factory I'll do it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Okay! Plot flow spoilers. Generally speaking regarding Brotherhood/Institute, you have mutually exclusive missions at the Mass Fusion building and the game warns you ahead of time that committing to that mission makes the other faction hostile. Both the Brotherhood and the Institute want the "Beryllium Agitator" at Mass Fusion to power their nuclear reactor or Liberty Prime. At this point in the game, the Railroad's mission is to keep you non-hostile to the Institute so you can help the synths break out from within. Immediately after doing Mass Fusion for the Institute and powering up the reactor, you go to a board meeting and then are notified afterwards by a synth that the rebel synth has a message for you. If you go to the rebel synth, he warns you of a Brotherhood attack on the Railroad HQ. If you don't go through with that warning and just go to meet Father he puts you on a mission to kill the Railroad yourself.

Over in the Brotherhood side of things, alienating the Institute fails your Railroad ending but unlocks the Minuteman ending since those guys just improvise a way to get into the Institute. Elder Maxton puts you on a quest called Blind Betrayal where he finds out Danse is a synth (not working for the Institute, just a Railroad transplant that got a memory job) and wants you to find him and kill him. Right after Blind Betrayal resolves, Maxton wants you to kill the Railroad for him, and from there it's the final assault on CIT Headquarters with Liberty Prime.

The Minuteman ending can be pursued any moment you become openly hostile with the Institute, which can be started by telling Father to gently caress off the moment you first meet him (or shooting him, or shooting any named Institute member). Or after the mission The Battle of Bunker Hill, you can also tell Father to gently caress off again.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephyrine posted:

That doesn't sound like fun. I just want to disorient enemies that get too close so I can shot them.

Different strokes for different folks. I love busting into a dungeon in X-01, eyes glowing red, high as gently caress on psychobuff. Start the Shredder spinning then charge through the corridors as fast as possible grinding every enemy into paste, nothing able to stop or even slow the carnage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My completely unmodified steam copy base game has suddenly developed a loving irritating bug where all the audio cuts out for a second or two at random intervals of 5 seconds to a couple of minutes. At first I thought it was just the radio stations but it's actually all game audio.

Ive validated files, I've reinstalled. I've both updated and rolled back graphics and audio drivers.

Doesn't happen in any other games, doesn't happen idle at the main menu.

I can't find reference to this as a bug anywhere else, is this something I'm missing in my searches or am I a special snowflake with a new and exciting problem to try and fix?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I love busting into a dungeon in X-01, eyes glowing red, high as gently caress on psychobuff. Start the Shredder spinning then charge through the corridors as fast as possible grinding every enemy into paste, nothing able to stop or even slow the carnage.

Tactical Headlamp for glowing red eyes is just awesome for the X-01. Looks pretty sweet with the green or white paint, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

isndl posted:

On PC you use the arrow keys for the variant skips, I believe?

People click the dialogue?!?!?!

Arrow keys or 1-4 work a lot faster.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

My completely unmodified steam copy base game has suddenly developed a loving irritating bug where all the audio cuts out for a second or two at random intervals of 5 seconds to a couple of minutes. At first I thought it was just the radio stations but it's actually all game audio.

Ive validated files, I've reinstalled. I've both updated and rolled back graphics and audio drivers.

I can't find reference to this as a bug anywhere else, is this something I'm missing in my searches or am I a special snowflake with a new and exciting problem to try and fix?

Check if the speakers are set to stereo or surround, and also what the sampling rate is set to.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish I could just lock things into place with the workshop so I wouldn't have to play "find out how many stories your decorations fell down before the game loaded the building" every single time I return to Starlight. It just works!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

Tactical Headlamp for glowing red eyes is just awesome for the X-01. Looks pretty sweet with the green or white paint, too.

I switch between Tac Red and Bright, depending on how I feel/how much work I want to do spotting loose loot like pens and burned comics.

Now, if only I could take hard hats to the armor workbench and make them into mining helmets by crafting lights, then I'd have some goddamn uniformity in my settlers...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I switch between Tac Red and Bright, depending on how I feel/how much work I want to do spotting loose loot like pens and burned comics.

Now, if only I could take hard hats to the armor workbench and make them into mining helmets by crafting lights, then I'd have some goddamn uniformity in my settlers...

Might just need to attack Dunwich Borers to get all the helmets you need.

I notice mining-hatted raiders turn on the headlamps, any way for you the player to do so when you've got one equipped?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Hold the pip boy button, it replaces that light.

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I had (well, still have) that problem.
My game even gets a bit laggy when it does. So I have to completely restart my computer and not load ANYTHING ELSE before I run the game. Then the problem stops.

I've tried so many different ways to figure out what the gently caress was causing it and I still don't know. Used different speakers. Headphones. USB slot checks. Checked audio ports, all that. Even made sure my sound and graphics weren't bugging out.

Meh.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I wish I could just lock things into place with the workshop so I wouldn't have to play "find out how many stories your decorations fell down before the game loaded the building" every single time I return to Starlight. It just works!

Pretty sure there's a bunch of mods on nexus that do that exact thing, although I've never bothered with any of them so I can't say how well they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Doesn't this engine have a threaded audio option? Toggle it from whatever it's set to and see if that helps.

• Locked thread