Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

BLOOD FOR THE LIBERTY TREE

Fairly certain the last time America said this, the trees bore strange fruit.

Edit: That's a lovely snipe, have a thief being caught:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-SfUvmU8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a useless dog

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what's with the dumb kid just standing there across the street breathing through his mouth?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The dude trying to blow out the engine fire kills me every time, especially when we find out what was in the container he didn't think was worth moving. The karate scene at 8:00 may be my favorite from that video, though. What the hell is going on, there?

My guess is the Karate genius is trying to break a piece of plywood, rather than the kind of wood you would normally break. Plywood is specifically made to not break that way, and performs admirably.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

It's quite a lot like that, in fact, because bitcoin -- despite being advertised as a currency -- is not at the moment accepted directly in exchange for goods or services hardly anywhere, which makes it worthless unless converted to another currency, which makes it indistinguishable from a stock, or another investment vehicle like diamonds or beanie babies. And of course bitcoin doesn't have any central organization or produce any product that ties its value to the real world, just as if it's a paper company of the 1920s.

Part of the Bitcoin debate I got into involved multiple people claiming that Bitcoin was going to become the currency of the future because it would allow people in poor countries to buy goods and services without unreliable and inflation-prone currency from the local government. Somehow they were always unable to describe how these poor countries were going to suddenly materialize the technology and infrastructure to let everyone purchase Bitcoins online and have every local vendor accept them.

Bitcoin becoming an actual currency and not just a stock or gold trading analogue is reliant on a few really unlikely things happening:

1. The United States and European Union both collapsing, rendering the two biggest currencies useless worldwide.

2. Bitcoin's price stabilizing (in spite of its history of wild fluctuation, and in spite of gold and stock prices fluctuating despite cryptodummies' insistence that the price will stabilize once the mining is finished...in the year 2140).

3. Vendors worldwide agreeing to accept Bitcoin directly as payment and installing the necessary software to make transactions.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
doesnt the buttcoin take forever to process transactions at low volume?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yes, by design :shepface:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Bitcoins might as well be lotto tickets to me. I ain't gonna start buying them just because some lucky idiot won a car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, that thing I mentioned in my post wasn't an exaggeration. At the current rate of steadily slowing down mining, it'll take until 2140 for every one of the planned 21 million Bitcoins to be mined, which proponents say is when it'll finally stabilize in price.

They're gleefully preparing for a future where their currency stabilizes in 123 years. Unless we really improve our medical science or brain uploading technology, every single person in existence today will be dead before the mythical Bitcoin stabilization.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh.

well good that banks and credit card processors dont process millions of transactions a day or anything, they might look foolish or something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Blockchains are good for certain things, and it is a really interesting technology.

Blockchains are terrible for currency.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

“Trump’s appetite seems to know no bounds when it comes to McDonald’s, with a dinner order consisting of two Big Macs, two Filet-O-Fish, and a chocolate malted.”

This 2,400-calorie meal is among the details in a forthcoming book by Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and aid David Bossie, as described in a preview by The Washington Post.

A dinner of that size would offer caloric energy for a full day. The 3,400 milligrams of sodium more than doubles the American Heart Association’s recommendation of 1,500 milligrams per day. The meal provides almost no fiber—and also offers more white bread than anyone would do well to eat in a week. This is all ominous for the president’s cardiovascular system.

So is the lack of variety. The book’s authors, who traveled with Trump early in his presidency, write: “On Trump Force One there were four major food groups: McDonald’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken, pizza, and Diet Coke.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/12/trump-eats/547355/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Lol hes gonna be found dead, lodged between the toilet and the door, inaccessible to the paramedics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Somehow, I don't think what happens at 02:33 is quite in sync with the rest of the video...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hihohe posted:

Bitcoins might as well be lotto tickets to me. I ain't gonna start buying them just because some lucky idiot won a car.

Eh lotto tickets can be fun though. Occasionally I'll drop $10 on keno, or a few dollars on scratch tickets. I don't expect to win, but it's some minor entertainment for a few minutes.

On the other hand I have seen people who are addicted to Keno, they get very pissed off when you're trying to buy a ticket at the same time they are. Also Lottery people really do believe in lucky numbers, or numbers being on a hot streak. I just autopick because I don't give a flying gently caress when I'm paying my stupid tax.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fine but can we get separate "old people buying $200 bucks in lotto" counters? I just want a drat coffee lady.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

without unreliable and inflation-prone currency from the local government

Inflation free

I'm no money man but how can anybody with half a brain look at that chart and think that's a sustainable and effective value for currency?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

fine but can we get separate "old people buying $200 bucks in lotto" counters? I just want a drat coffee lady.

Especially at 6 in the morning when I'm trying to go to work.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

Especially at 6 in the morning when I'm trying to go to work.

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/Ef5qrgX.mp4

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

make sure to never be left hanging again with this ONE WEIRD TRICK

dudes cooler than you HATE THIS

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Renegret posted:

Inflation free

I'm no money man but how can anybody with half a brain look at that chart and think that's a sustainable and effective value for currency?

"it's stable like a good currency! But it's also a good investment because it's always going up up up! I have literally no critical thinking skills and am persuaded by the lottery-like winnings my gambling has brought."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Renegret posted:

Inflation free

It’ll pave the way to a libertarian utopia before crashing and killing everyone.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hihohe posted:

Lol hes gonna be found dead, lodged between the toilet and the door, inaccessible to the paramedics.

If there really is a god, I pray for this to happen. Preferably sooner rather than later. :pray:

Edit - I realized last week that the thing about Trump is this: there have been other presidents whose policies I've disliked and who I've disagreed with, but I never wished ill of them, even at their worst. Trump is the only president who I've ever actively wished would just keel over dead from a massive brain hemorrhage on a daily basis. I hate that this is the person I've become.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Dec 5, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Does everyone forget that if Trump dies or goes away we're gonna be left with Pence? A competent bigot with more clout and friends in DC so he can actually get waaaaay more horrible poo poo done in 3 years?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

sneakyfrog posted:

oh.

well good that banks and credit card processors dont process millions of transactions a day or anything, they might look foolish or something.

I haven't sat down and run the numbers in a few years but if the entirety of bitcoins transaction processing were dedicated solely to Walmart transactions it would take a more than a year to process each hour of their Black Friday sale.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQ2xKSF5VA

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does everyone forget that if Trump dies or goes away we're gonna be left with Pence? A competent bigot with more clout and friends in DC so he can actually get waaaaay more horrible poo poo done in 3 years?

Im hoping when they find the moreso bloated corpse of trump, itll let out a fart that will be ignited by a lit cigarette. The resulting massive explosion will destroy the whitehouse, killing everyone in there.

Hihohe has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Samovar posted:

Somehow, I don't think what happens at 02:33 is quite in sync with the rest of the video...
It is. Everyone in that lived with only minor injuries. One pilot jumped with a chute the other landed ok.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/wisconsin-skydivers-two-planes-collide

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQ2xKSF5VA&t=342s

This is gold

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rolo posted:

killing everyone.

A true libertarian utopia

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That intersection at 3:06 is amazing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MausoleumExtremist posted:

That intersection at 3:06 is amazing

It'd be more impressive if whoever faked the video hadn't gotten lazy and reused the white van

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQ2xKSF5VA&t=343s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Considering that Pence was leading the transition team that's currently getting its members implicated in Russian collusion, violations of the Logan Act, and lying to the FBI, I wouldn't be surprised if anything that gets rid of Trump also catches Pence in the crossfire. There's a lot of people who could get themselves caught up in this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol at it actually happening in America but out of curiosity, what happened if the majority of an administration is removed? Does it keep going down the line or is there an impromptu election?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Rolo posted:

lol at it actually happening in America but out of curiosity, what happened if the majority of an administration is removed? Does it keep going down the line or is there an impromptu election?

There's never an impromptu election. There's even a show on one of the broadcast networks about some lowly congressman becoming president because 300 something successors were all killed (I think? I never watched the thing)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

/\edit: basically this

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering that Pence was leading the transition team that's currently getting its members implicated in Russian collusion, violations of the Logan Act, and lying to the FBI, I wouldn't be surprised if anything that gets rid of Trump also catches Pence in the crossfire. There's a lot of people who could get themselves caught up in this.

Aren't there still a bunch of unappointed officials too? If there's a huge shake-up can we expect to see someone like the head of the post office as the next POTUS?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rolo posted:

There's an established line of succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's never an impromptu election. There's even a show on one of the broadcast networks about some lowly congressman becoming president because 300 something successors were all killed (I think? I never watched the thing)

Designated Survivor, starring Keifer "Jack Bauer" Sutherland as the de facto president in question.