Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despera
Jun 6, 2011
West Virginia might be the most racist state in the union *but that's ok cause they are poor and can't help it*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I don't think your "be an insufferable dipshit while trying to discuss politics before shrinking into a corn cob" dynamic is going to last long either.

It's working for you noted unfunny white noise poster

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Unoriginal Name posted:

Meanwhile, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina...

meanwhile, in chattanooga

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Despera posted:

West Virginia might be the most racist state in the union *but that's ok cause they are poor and can't help it*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Hastings posted:

So...at this point the press is more thorough and adept at investigations than either the information gleaning organizations or the SIC. This makes me not trust the process. Obviously the press has more reason as they are out for blood, and Trump is cutting the FBI down, but still. Either the SIC needs to do some real leg work or subpoenas need to be taken seriously.

I don't think we should take the idea that the FBI didnt knownas gospel. Mueller has been running a tight ship on thee investigation and as far as we can tell there have been no leaks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/886029464240574464
Their defense has fallen back to "well this wasn't a big deal until people knew about it!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OctaMurk posted:

What employment opportunities do we build in WV, and why do we expect that companies forming the basis for these opportunities will be competitive? It's not easy to just sprout up a new economic basis for a state, and there aren't really clear opportunities in West Virginia. The money that would be required to do this, would probably be more effective at helping people if used elsewhere.

actually west virginia is doing pretty well in terms of biotech and chemical production, which is a thing you could learn after about five minutes of idle research instead of just succumbing to your stereotypes and passively arguing that rural states are full of uneducated impoverished people, because self-education is an impossible task apparently

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Despera posted:

:ironicat:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/886029644650229760

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why don't we just subsidize their costs to move and provide a job program. Then we depopulate rural areas and help the environment, provide work and jobs, and help people move to places with better long term aspects for job growth in the future.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

boner confessor posted:

actually west virginia is doing pretty well in terms of biotech and chemical production, which is a thing you could learn after about five minutes of idle research instead of just succumbing to your stereotypes and passively arguing that rural states are full of uneducated impoverished people, because self-education is an impossible task apparently

Sounds good, we don't need to help WV then.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

Their defense has fallen back to "well this wasn't a big deal until people knew about it!"
How many different versions of the noncollusion story have there been so far starting a couple of months ago when DJT twote 'I have nothing to do, no contact with Russia.' at least five or six.

And with Jr., it's been
-no contact
-ok, contact but it was about adoption
-ok I did it but you would have too

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

A minority of West Virginians voted for Trump and the governor is a Democrat.

goons dont actually know what they're talking about and are just getting angry when other people point out that idly pissing on the poor is not actually a leftist political stance? goons not being able to handle slight criticism? whaaaaaat?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

Thanks for admitting you're just here to troll. :smug:

Lurk more, in fact, lurk yourself right on over to Reddit and never come back.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

How many different versions of the noncollusion story have there been so far starting a couple of months ago when DJT twote 'I have nothing to do, no contact with Russia.' at least five or six.

the collusion defense exists as a multi-verse of its own, with infinite existences, each with their own version of collusion that wasn't actually collusion but ok maybe we colluded a little but isn't even really illegal on earth 97 anyway i mean it was your fault for letting us collude anyway

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Making fun of West Virginians is a fine hill to die on. Pissing on the poor or classist regardless.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

OhDearGodNo posted:

there's also a hopelessness prevalent among those in their 20's where they have long since resigned themselves to what they have available and lose the drive to better their education.

Would like to take contention with use of the word "drive". I'm a vagrant on food stamps and using university as pretty much a halfway house. Did you know being in school can get you all kinds of assistance that is otherwise non-existent even if you're homeless? The sole reason this avenue exists is from not being in West Virginia.

Education is resources, opportunity, and expectations. Drive is the least relevant part. Hell, my opportunity is largely from being a lazy vermin that refuses to work and social services just kind of having to help, and exploiting state technicalities.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Despera posted:

Making fun of West Virginians is a fine hill to die on. Pissing on the poor or classist regardless.

let's learn about you a little bit

share your story

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Why were they arresting him? He didn't get anything out of it, so no crime was committed!

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

the collusion defense exists as a multi-verse of its own, with infinite existences, each with their own version of collusion that wasn't actually collusion but ok maybe we colluded a little but isn't even really illegal on earth 97 anyway i mean it was your fault for letting us collude anyway

Damnit we ARE all stuck in a bad TNG episode. :ughh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spaced God posted:

https://m.imgur.com/iJv7WFI

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

To be fair, this is actually really well done

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bicyclops posted:

*In an extremely thick Boston accent* Yarr, and those rural poor from West Virginia have wicked stupid accents!

We aren't pirates. I mean maybe some of the dudes from Gloucester, but mostly not pirates.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Damnit we ARE all stuck in a bad TNG episode. :ughh:

sorry friendo, but if this was tng we'd at least have fusion reactor spaceships or something :(

shots fired

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/885922699863838720

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Kellyanne Conway is Q

:stare:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Why don't we just subsidize their costs to move and provide a job program. Then we depopulate rural areas and help the environment, provide work and jobs, and help people move to places with better long term aspects for job growth in the future.

They don't want to move because it's there home. They want to keep the mining jobs because those are the only ones that pay. Any new job has the benefit of "not being coal mining " for employers so they have no reason not to pay poo poo wages. We could legally mandate higher wages, but let's be honest that's never going to happen. So the people there will cling desperately to the only life raft they have, coal mining jobs, until it sinks.

The problem isn't specific to West Virginia coal mines. Keeping wages low by moving high school level skilled jobs to minimum wage service jobs is a problem everywhere. But most places have enough of a social net to cushion the blow. Mincome would probably be a good way to start fixing these issues, but as long as were wishing for thing's I'd like a pony.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

skylined! posted:

let's learn about you a little bit

share your story

I'm from va and we make fun of wva a lot. Hope that doesn't upset too many of you giys.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They also referred to a few incidences of racially-motivated vandalism as malicious harassment. Latest being a car all dented up and keyed with racial remarks. Not sure harassments the correct word here.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mulva posted:

We aren't pirates. I mean maybe some of the dudes from Gloucester, but mostly not pirates.

"Yarr" is definitely a word we say here, though. It happens when "yeah" is followed by a word that begins in a vowel. Some linguist probably has a word for it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

"Yarr" is definitely a word we say here, though. It happens when "yeah" is followed by a word that begins in a vowel. Some linguist probably has a word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive_R

also a thing in British and Australian varieties of English

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Despera posted:

I'm from va and we make fun of wva a lot. Hope that doesn't upset too many of you giys.

goddamn that's boring af. was hoping w.va killed your parents or something but nope, just a lil pissbaby

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

skylined! posted:

goddamn that's boring af. was hoping w.va killed your parents or something but nope, just a lil pissbaby

When did being condescending to equate with being angry at?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Even the name 'Sinclair' sounds like an evil rich guy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

yeah i wouldn't really expect an inbred east virginian to understand the distinction

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

VA or NoVA?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive_R

also a thing in British and Australian varieties of English

Yeah, that's the stuff. A rudimentary Google search actually has some interesting stuff on it w/r/t Boston.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Despera posted:

A pissbaby need not have a target for its anger.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

boner confessor posted:

yeah i wouldn't really expect an inbred east virginian to understand the distinction

That made me laugh

Sneakster posted:

VA or NoVA?

Obviously the civilized part

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

A pissbaby need not have a target for its anger.

But people projecting do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

Obviously the civilized part

NoVA is more than just the parts touching the metro though.

• Locked thread