Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Grape posted:

I remember as a kid one of my major moments of lost innocence was watching the Christmas episode of the 100 Deeds of Eddie McDowd, and learning that Californians had Christmas with palm trees and warm weather.
It was akin to learning about the starving children in Africa.
Except this was starving of the soul.

Except I can drive up to the snow when I choose to, play for an afternoon, and then leave it there and go back home where I don't have to fight my neighbor because he's parked in the parking spot that I dug out this morning.

Snow is overrated.

edit: Smugposting is really lovely. It rots the soul. :\

duodenum fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Except I can drive up to the snow when I choose to, play for an afternoon, and then leave it there and go back home where I don't have to fight my neighbor because he's parked in the parking spot that I dug out this morning.

Snow is overrated.

edit: Smugposting is really lovely. It rots the soul. :\

Lol at having to use parking.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Snow is overrated.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Come wife, let us place the children into the car and navigate to the "January" biome for much enjoyment of the festivities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cold days are fine if it is clear or raining.

Overcast but dry days are bad, as is any other type of precipitation.

This has been my cold take. Thank you for reading.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ireland and Scotland have the perfect climate.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
South China and North India have the perfect climates. That's why so many people live there. It's not rocket science

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Ras Het posted:

South China and North India have the perfect climates. That's why so many people live there. It's not rocket science

Is Hong Kong considered South China? because that place would be perfect if it weren't for the high cost of rent and a weather that dehydrates your soul.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't know if having almost no rain is actually a long term benefit (as someone who grew up in SoCal). I prefer having seasons.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My then-online-girlfriend/now-wife grew up in San Diego. When she moved to Iowa a few months before I joined her, she asked me - who grew up in the southeast - what a severe thunderstorm warning was. I responded, it means a severe thunderstorm's about to hit.

She asked what that was.

Because she had never ever ever had to deal with one before.

San Diego is beautiful, San Diego is idyllic, but I wonder if I'd go crazy if there was no danger from the skies once in a while. A nice thunderstorm is perfect sleeping weather!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

My guess is that you would not go crazy from lack of severe weather

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Senior Dog posted:

My guess is that you would not go crazy from lack of severe weather

Correct. By contrast, you might go crazy if every time it rains you have to watch outside and your phone to see if you have to run out and move your car to higher ground or have it flood.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Do Californians even know the crisp fire like smell of a gorgeous Autumn night? The excitement of a child witnessing a huge squall line arrive over the horizon in deep Summer? The stillness of a snow covered neighborhood right outside their door in Winter as they cuddle in front of a fireplace? Or the somehow always breathtaking transformation of the dead grey world into blooming flowering Spring?

No, because at any given time they're skateboarding down to get an ice cream cone on their fifty millionth straight day in the life of numbing warmth.
"Furr sure furr sure!" they bellow hollowly.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

Do Californians even know the crisp fire like smell of a gorgeous Autumn night? The excitement of a child witnessing a huge squall line arrive over the horizon in deep Summer? The stillness of a snow covered neighborhood right outside their door in Winter as they cuddle in front of a fireplace? Or the somehow always breathtaking transformation of the dead grey world into blooming flowering Spring?

No, because at any given time they're skateboarding down to get an ice cream cone on their fifty millionth straight day in the life of numbing warmth.

I'm with ya but buddy, but I'd take San Francisco in July over Indiana in July every fuckin time

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Grape posted:

Do Californians even know the crisp fire like smell of a gorgeous Autumn night?

Sure they do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grape posted:

Oh California has you covered with fire in Autumn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

August eighth is a summer night.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
my favorite california stereotype is that the state that literally hosted a winter olympics doesn't have weather

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spoeank posted:

my favorite california stereotype is that the state that literally hosted a winter olympics doesn't have weather

It's about as far a location in California can be from all major population centers so it's not like most Californians are resplendent with wintry weather for months at a time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spoeank posted:

I mean, Sochi hosted the Winter Olympics and it’s the warmest place in Russia, boasting a subtropical climate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Four distinct seasons or bust

E: in one place, driving to a ski lodge is not the same

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Also having some actual greenery around you is quite nice.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I don't understand why the Sun Belt people think we are attacking them, we want to help you. Shake you awake from the opiate that is endless June.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah hey shut up, we got winter stuff, snow and poo poo, lemme just show you, hold on.

*rummages feverishly through state's attic for hours, fruitlessly ripping open old boxes*

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the best climate, as documented in 30 days of night, is utqiagvik (formerly barrow) alaska, since the long period when the sun doesn’t rise is the perfect time for all of us to be brutally murdered by vampires

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can't truly appreciate the first rays of spring sun hitting your face and warming your soul until after you've spent a crushing winter of -15 degree temperatures all the time. When it's sunny every single day of the year, it's just sunny. Seasons make you appreciate the other seasons when they change over.

Signed,

A Canadian

(it seriously bugged me when I lived in Australia that the weather was just the same every single day of the year. Like no, gently caress off with that poo poo)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

I mean, Sochi hosted the Winter Olympics and it’s the warmest place in Russia, boasting a subtropical climate.

Boston's also subtropical (as are most of the other major northeast cities) and it's not like it doesn't get winter.

Grape posted:

Yeah hey shut up, we got winter stuff, snow and poo poo, lemme just show you, hold on.

*rummages feverishly through state's attic for hours, fruitlessly ripping open old boxes*

There are active ski resorts in the winter 25-50 miles away from the middle of downtown LA, in those background mountains. It's just most of the residents don't bother to drive up that way, especially cuz actually getting to them means a much longer drive to get up and through those mountains :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

HookShot posted:

You can't truly appreciate the first rays of spring sun hitting your face and warming your soul until after you've spent a crushing winter of -15 degree temperatures all the time. When it's sunny every single day of the year, it's just sunny. Seasons make you appreciate the other seasons when they change over.

Signed,

A Canadian

(it seriously bugged me when I lived in Australia that the weather was just the same every single day of the year. Like no, gently caress off with that poo poo)

Spring is miserable. The earliest you can get actually good weather is May, the two months before that are just another autumn with the constant cold rain. Signed a finn

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ras Het posted:

Spring is miserable. The earliest you can get actually good weather is May, the two months before that are just another autumn with the constant cold rain. Signed a finn

No one was thinking of boggy cloudy Northern European countries when we were talking about nice four seasons areas.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

My issue is with the metaphysical essence of spring

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just live inside.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ras Het posted:

My issue is with the metaphysical essence of spring

This is the most Finnish post I have ever seen.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

No Safe Word posted:

It's about as far a location in California can be from all major population centers so it's not like most Californians are resplendent with wintry weather for months at a time.

It's like an hour from Sacramento and like 3 hours from the bay lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Being able to drive to a ski lodge is still not like having a nice autumn/winter season

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spoeank posted:

It's like an hour from Sacramento and like 3 hours from the bay lol

Sacramento isn't a major population center (though it's bigger than I thought, I'll grant) and 3 hours is about as far as you can drive before being closer to some other major population center.

Also

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being able to drive to a ski lodge is still not like having a nice autumn/winter season

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m pretty sure that significant areas of this map (northeastern California) that are labeled as Csb are actually Dsb if you use the 0 °C isotherm. Needless to say, if you think all of that is actually Csb you are in for a surprise when you get snow dumping on you into spring, a legitimate autumn, and average winter lows around -8 °C.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 31, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Sacramento isn't a major population center (though it's bigger than I thought, I'll grant) and 3 hours is about as far as you can drive before being closer to some other major population center.

Also

Indiana, Illinois and Ohio are the only midwestern states with a major population center then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

Indiana, Illinois and Ohio are the only midwestern states with a major population center then.

What metric are you using for that?

Sacramento's 508k people. Milwaukee in Wisconsin is at 592k and Detroit in Michigan at 672k. And Indiana's biggest is UNIGOV with 867k + Ohio's biggest is 892k. So if we're saying Sacramento is just a bit too small , it would seem you should at least count Detroit, if not also Milwaukee.

Minnesota of course misses out due to stubborn refusal to unite its two largest cities, which are right next to each other - that's on their own heads, skipping on claiming a 730k. And the other states in question lack any place with a full half million, so of course they don't count