Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

resting bort face posted:

For everyone ordering those Die Hard Dice: How's the balance? Have you done the saltwater test on them? I recently discovered nearly all my dice are completely hosed, balance-wise.

dice float in salt water or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

dice float in salt water or something?

It's a nice little science experiment you can do. Salt makes water more dense and with enough of it you can make your dice float and begin to see where their center of mass lies and what side(s) they favor as a result. It's also a fun way to reveal that almost every die you've ever owned isn't balanced at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder what that would do to my wooden dice. I presume it’s useless with metal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder what that would do to my wooden dice. I presume it’s useless with metal.

You just need a more dense fluid; mercury should do nicely.

Wood dice it would depend on the finish; if they're lacquered/sealed they should be fine, otherwise you shouldn't leave them soaking but a quick dip is usually not harmful to wood.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

When you say "completely hosed" do you mean they give a nonrandom result like .0001 % of the time or?

Edit: "Not balanced" is relative. Some warhammer goon tested cheap dice ages ago using a rock tumbler and tens of thousands of rolls. He discovered that even lovely dice give random results most of the time and only the worst of the worst really affects outcomes meaningfully.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 18, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wonder if anyone in my group would notice if I 3d printed my own dice with dense spaces and void spaces to favor higher rolls

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Weigh the dice to screw yourself over. Just constant bad (but not like natural one bad) rolls. No one will suspect. Then, after an Important Character Moment, switch to identical looking but fair dice. Become the underdog success story.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I made a thing:

A smaller, distant cousin to the griffin. Intended as an option for a more exotic familiar.

Edit: artwork is shamelessly stolen from the internet and not my own.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

resting bort face posted:

For everyone ordering those Die Hard Dice: How's the balance? Have you done the saltwater test on them? I recently discovered nearly all my dice are completely hosed, balance-wise.

I haven't rolled the plastic ones much. I am extremely satisfied with the metal ones to the point that I ordered 6 more d6 and 2 more d20s

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

When you say "completely hosed" do you mean they give a nonrandom result like .0001 % of the time or?

Four of my d20s, including the two I used for nearly every roll in my last campaign, came up on the same number nine times out of ten in the saltwater.

A couple other d20s seemed fine, but are colors I hate so they're WORTHLESS.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I just found a homebrew Ranger that looks the goods. It's built onto the UA Ranger but offers 14 archetypes, spellcasting or non spellcasting. The balance of abilities between those options is well considered. Spell casting rangers can prepare different spells on long rest, which I think is a huge improvement. I'm giving this to our Beast Master ranger and oh god I hope this finally makes the class work.

It's pay what you want so I wanted to share it here if anyone is looking for a possibly fixed ranger.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Elfgames posted:

also the other way around let some zombies lay down and be like "nah not today"

I'm going to use this in a tomb of skeletons when the first skeleton inevitably gets his skull powdered.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you were really that concerned with dice roll accuracy you'd be getting results from random.org or something.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Pleads posted:

I'm going to use this in a tomb of skeletons when the first skeleton inevitably gets his skull powdered.

If they move on have it sneak after them, playing dead in dark corners. See how long it takes the players to notice that the skeletons littering the dungeon are all the same single skeleton spying on them for the big bad.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
One of the current Humble Bundles has a bunch of 5e PDFs. Are any of these worth a drat?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dr Snofeld posted:

One of the current Humble Bundles has a bunch of 5e PDFs. Are any of these worth a drat?

I've run some of the earlier Quests of Doom. They're fine. Nothing too remarkable.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Prepared! and Prepared 2! are both great, especially if you have Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts. Really good for quick sessions to throw into your campaign or just some "oh poo poo I need something to kill a couple of hours!"

They're normally $10 each.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I found some dude who wants to trade me a magic item for one I got in an AL session that is really of no value to me.

My DM offered me a cert (which is basically just a blank pdf for me to fill in).

What's the proper procedure/etiquette for trading AL items online? I'm going to be taking this character to cons in the future, so I want everything to be in proper order.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

so i'm starting a campaign with basically a completely newbie group of people - only the DM and myself have ever actually played roleplaying games, and even the both of us have never played 5th. so far, our group consists of:

a dragonborn barbarian who's descended from blue dragons and is covered in tattoos (aiming for Ancient Guardians spec)
a tabaxi bard who's completely loving obsessed with the dragonborn's tattoos (me! dunno what college i wanna pick)
a half-elf rogue who tags along because we make her money and she likes to stab people (swashbuckler!)
a forest gnome druid who is the lorax and speaks for the trees

our fifth hasn't made their character yet (had an emergency so couldn't make it) but I'll be helping him out on finding what he wants to play. i ended up buying a bunch of stuff from Die Hard Dice because i wanted everyone's first campaign to feel special:

the company thought it was super cool and actually sent me 5 metal dice to match the 5 colours of trays & dice i bought!

long story short, company fuckin' rules, buy from them.

EDIT: the dice for the green tray is the "green stardust" dice, they kinda look black until you hold them up to the light, it's a semitransparent green polymer with gold flecks in it.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Sage Genesis posted:

A fun little extra shouldn't cost you an attunement slot. That's exactly the entire point of the attunement mechanic, to differentiate (and limit) the big powerful stuff and the lesser stuff that won't wreck your game. Giving up an attunement slot for cold weather protection is weak, but giving up attunement for the right to spend an action to disarm yourself and put you in difficult terrain? The words "trap option" don't even come close.

Nothing says you have to use anything exactly like it's written on there. There's nothing tested rigorously for balance as far as I know, it's just a list of random effects that can be generated onto random items, and as far as I can see it just lists it by default. Mix and max and chop as you will. I use them solely as I mentioned it, as inspiration for adding the effect to some other item I want to put it on.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 20, 2018

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you were really that concerned with dice roll accuracy you'd be getting results from random.org or something.

I'm reluctant to give up the *feel* of physically rolling a die. It's nowhere near as satisfying for me to press a button and get a number.

But while I'd prefer the physical die, I'd still like some reassurance that it isn't unintentionally loaded.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I would love a loaded die that always rolls a 1

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Novum posted:

I would love a loaded die that always rolls a 1

https://www.balanceddice.com/hard-mode-1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz4ikLHaKBk

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/1008915981283090433

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/1009298438700314624

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/1009284291182948353

It is my sad duty to inform you that RPGpundit's horrible politics and bad D&D opinions have finally metastasized into a burgeoning D&Dgate movement that is trending on twitter. So far it's only a few frustrated manlets, but get your umbrellas ready because these things tend to get worse before they get better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think it's worth disclosing that some of the products on that bundle are from Frog God Games, whose CEO has a record of harassment: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4613-Harassment-At-PaizoCon-2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen a rule set for skill checks to do more than pass/ fail? Something like Edge of the Empire or even just gradations of success and failure?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's worth disclosing that some of the products on that bundle are from Frog God Games, whose CEO has a record of harassment: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4613-Harassment-At-PaizoCon-2017

Luckily I made all my share of the purchase go to charity!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone seen a rule set for skill checks to do more than pass/ fail? Something like Edge of the Empire or even just gradations of success and failure?

Main I wish :(

Give me fail forward and gradient of success/fail is and I lose my biggest frustrations with the system. If you find something that doesnt massively over complicate things let me know!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

Main I wish :(

Give me fail forward and gradient of success/fail is and I lose my biggest frustrations with the system. If you find something that doesnt massively over complicate things let me know!

A dude I know mentioned an idea where you treat skill rolls like combat rolls, as in you gotta roll over the AC DC and then roll "skill dice" which show how many hit points obstacle points you have removed from the target obstacle. I don't remember what "skill dice" are, but you add your relevant stat mod to the roll.

Seems like it probably falls into "over complicate things" territory, while still just being a (somewhat extended) pass/fail test. You could probably alleviate the latter part by assigning a bloodied value "when the task has X points remaining, when the target has 1/2x points remaining" stuff to the fiction/action involved.

Fail-forward is best handled from the other side of things though, right? Like, the adventure/GM/whatever should be handling "what happens when everyone fails at this", rather than it being a player-facing mechanic. Or are you looking for a PbtA style "hard choice" type mechanic?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Idea 1: if you miss by less than 5, you get success-at-a-cost. If you pass by more than 5, you get success-extra.

(I think 5 is a reasonable range as far as a d20 is concerned, but the margins are basically all you'd need to tinker with)

Idea 2: missing the DC by x amount represents a proportional percentage by which you come up short as a function of distance or time, or conversely represents having done the thing quicker/better if you exceed the DC.

That is, if the DC is 10, and you roll a 12, then you do it 20% faster (than whatever the stakes are established to be). If you roll an 8, then you're short by 20%, or you take 20% longer than expected.

This second idea is a lot clunkier because A. getting the proportions right is tricky if your DCs aren't universally set (it's adapted from Rolemaster, where the DC is always 100 vs a d100 roll, and it's much cleaner as a result), and B. the stakes of any given skill check can't always be broken down into time, or distance, or into percentage-portions.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
At that point you might want to consider playing something like dungeon world, (they do one tier of failure and two tiers of success).
If you want to mitigate unfun misses I'd just give out tons of inspiration, people love that anyway :)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Idea 1: if you miss by less than 5, you get success-at-a-cost. If you pass by more than 5, you get success-extra.

I tend to bake this into games on the fly depending on what the check is for.

"you picked the lock skillfully, emptied the chest, and put the lock back so noone will notice you were there" versus "you've shattered the lock and it hit the ground, making a loud sound that was bound to attract attention" versus "you poked yourself in the eye with the lockpick and shouted 'ouch' ".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

It is my sad duty to inform you that RPGpundit's horrible politics and bad D&D opinions have finally metastasized into a burgeoning D&Dgate movement that is trending on twitter. So far it's only a few frustrated manlets, but get your umbrellas ready because these things tend to get worse before they get better.

Pretty much everyone is at least calling him out on being stupid at least.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The DMG has this to an extent (page 242 under the "Success at a Cost" and "Degrees of Failure" headings). It shows up a few places in the Monster Manual (for failed saving throws against enemy abilities) and published adventures, albeit rarely enough that you have to dig to find it. If you want to emphasize failing forward, you're probably best off making the success at a cost the typical failure result and turning the "miss the DC by 5 or more" result into a straight-up failure.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 21, 2018

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Toshimo posted:

I found some dude who wants to trade me a magic item for one I got in an AL session that is really of no value to me.

My DM offered me a cert (which is basically just a blank pdf for me to fill in).

What's the proper procedure/etiquette for trading AL items online? I'm going to be taking this character to cons in the future, so I want everything to be in proper order.

Write down the other person's DCI#, as well as the name/number of the adventure or hardcover they got it from, as well as the DCI# of the DM running the original session. If it was from a hardcover, try to get the page# the item came from. Also write down on your log what you traded away for it. That should satisfy even the pickiest of DMs.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yessss

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gumby posted:

Write down the other person's DCI#, as well as the name/number of the adventure or hardcover they got it from, as well as the DCI# of the DM running the original session. If it was from a hardcover, try to get the page# the item came from. Also write down on your log what you traded away for it. That should satisfy even the pickiest of DMs.

I wish there was more WotC support for this, there is no online tracking of any of the AL stuff. At least Pathfinder/Starfinder Society has a online character repository. I was shocked when I was looking into AL stuff and saw that it's effectively just a sheet of paper and your word that any of it is relevant.

I mean, I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter, but it kind of cheapens it in my eyes when someone could just as well fabricate a character with whatever they want for items, and just use a random number generator for DCI#. Nobody at a con is going to look up numbers and make sure that they have paper documentation for being in someone's game, and got some item.

If this were online, and logged to a central database, at minimum it could be checked quickly if the player actually played with a DM. As well as a log of sessions played.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
As a DM I don't think I could ever in good conscious enforce the AL rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toshimo posted:

He's not at your table? How are you justifying this in role playing, or just assuming you paid a peasant a copper a day to shout WTS magic items make offer in a major city?