Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I mean, he is 77 years old.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The VW board has decided to put Audi in charge of all R&D for VAG (Bentley, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc.). Audi will be heading up all R&D. VW is also buying up the very small remaining about of Audi shares that they don't already own.

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2020/02/Audi_with_enhanced_role_in_Volkswagen_Group.html

quote:

Audi with enhanced role in Volkswagen Group

• CEO of Volkswagen AG, Dr. Herbert Diess: “We are pooling strengths for Audi’s competitiveness”
  • Audi headed by its new CEO Markus Duesmann to lead research & development in the Volkswagen Group
  • Ingolstadt to be organizational focus of Car.Software organization
  • Volkswagen AG plans to take over all Audi shares via a squeeze-out according to German stock corporation law
  • Resolution on the squeeze-out at this year’s Annual General Meeting of AUDI AG, which is to be postponed until July or August 2020

Volkswagen AG is enhancing the role of Audi in the Group. To that end, Audi headed by its new CEO Markus Duesmann will take over the lead for research & development in the brand alliance. Furthermore, Ingolstadt is to be the organizational focus of the Car.Software organization. In the context of more efficient steering, Volkswagen AG plans to take over the 0.36 percent of Audi free-float shares. Volkswagen AG is currently the majority shareholder, holding approx. 99.64 percent of the subscribed capital of AUDI AG.

The Volkswagen Group is responding even more proactively to the challenges of the transformation with an optimal positioning and effective structures. Dr. Herbert Diess, CEO of Volkswagen AG and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of AUDI AG, said: “Given the strong dynamics of change in our industry, we are pooling our strengths in the Volkswagen Group and positioning ourselves competitively for the future. Going forward, the Audi brand with Markus Duesmann as its new CEO will take over the lead for research & development in the Volkswagen Group and thus swiftly assume technical leadership.”

With reference to the start of the new PPE electric platform, Ingolstadt is also to become the organizational focus of the Group’s new unit, the Car.Software organization. The newly-founded company centralizes the software development activities at the various locations in the Volkswagen Group. The aim is to boost the in-house share of car software development to at least 60 percent by 2025.

As part of the realignment of competences and responsibilities, Volkswagen AG is planning a squeeze-out according to German stock corporation law to increase its shareholding in Audi from the present 99.64 percent to 100 percent. To that end, Volkswagen AG today transmitted to AUDI AG a request for the transfer of minority shares under which the squeeze-out according to German stock corporation law is to be completed by resolution at this year’s Annual General Meeting of AUDI AG. In light of this, the Annual General Meeting of AUDI AG is to be postponed to a date in July or August 2020.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doug smokes way less crack than his brother did and he's successfully annihilating Ontario for his capitalist class interests, so sadly he will live forever

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

He also, supposedly, has a 20 something year old girlfriend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

Doug smokes way less crack than his brother did and he's successfully annihilating Ontario for his capitalist class interests, so sadly he will live forever

Covid-19 makes a mess of obese people. It's one of the primary risk factors outside of age

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nobody wants the BMW 8 Series:

quote:

For some of BMW's U.S. dealers, the brand's luxurious 8 Series coupe has turned from halo sports car to financial headache.

Retailers complain the car has received inadequate marketing support, while an abundance of configurations have left some dealership lots with unsold inventory of the high-value model, putting pressure on floorplan expenses.

The 8 Series has the highest day supply of any BMW model, dealers report.

[...]

But dealers aren't too keen on sitting on that high-dollar inventory. The sticker on 2020 models tops $155,000. The interest expense on each 8 Series is $400 to $500 a month, another dealer said.

"It's heavy metal that nobody wants to carry," he said.

As of early March, there were more than 2,000 8 Series vehicles sitting on, or on their way to, U.S. dealership lots, according to dealer inventory data shared with Automotive News. Of those, more than 700 were "Priority 5" — a classification of vehicles dealers are looking to offload to other retailers.

"It's very concerning and alarming that on a halo — brand-new vehicle — roughly a third of the total available on-ground inventory is being put in a Priority 5 status," said another dealer who asked not to be identified. "Basically, dealers are saying, 'I don't want this, I can't sell it, somebody please take it from me.' "

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wonder what kind of deals could be had...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How much of the problem comes from the fact that they ignored enthusiasts and focused on their bullshit weird crossovers for a huge amount of time, to the point I didn't even know the 8-series was a thing? Their lower-end offerings have convinced me they've lost the plot, and no amount of extra money is going to fix that fundamental problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're simply selling too many different models

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Maybe people see through the fact that it’s a re-skinned 6 series coupe.

Maybe it’s the global pandemic ripping through the planet.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

There is also the part where I dont have $155,000.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Having been in both an m850i and an M5 of the most recent model year, the 8 series is MUCH nicer inside. It's a really nice car. Only the M8 competition costs 155k - the "regular" 8 series is around 85k-120k, depending on how many boxes you want to check.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The problem with the 8 series is that it's basically BMW saying, "We'd love to keep selling you 6 series, how about we make it (slightly) bigger and (a lot) uglier and charge you $30k extra for the privilege?"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Maybe they should have made it not look like a Mustang

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Having been in both an m850i and an M5 of the most recent model year, the 8 series is MUCH nicer inside. It's a really nice car. Only the M8 competition costs 155k - the "regular" 8 series is around 85k-120k, depending on how many boxes you want to check.

I debated between an M850iGC and an M5C (god its stupid just typing this) and the M5 was more awesome with a better back seat for less money. Sure, the 8 had some more lux feel but not for the premium they want. It’s still a 6 with an extra line on the badge.

I look forward to an M8GC in 2.5 years when they didn’t stop production but are offering killer deals.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Maybe they should have made it not look like a Mustang

This. It's so loving ugly while also looking like a Mustang.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My problem with the 8 series is that it doesn't have that small grille, 90's style flared fenders, a big greenhouse, and most importanly: pop up headlights. The original 8 is just so good looking.
This new one looks like a burnt lozenge with a pig snout.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BloodBag posted:

My problem with the 8 series is that it doesn't have that small grille, 90's style flared fenders, a big greenhouse, and most importanly: pop up headlights. The original 8 is just so good looking.
This new one looks like a burnt lozenge with a pig snout.

Well why not throw in the V12 and the pillarless windows too, Mercedes somehow manages to get it done with its flagship old pervert car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The OG 8 series was one of the best drat looking cars of its time and still great today. The new "8" series is a offensive eyesore that doesn't have a single thing that made the original so awesome.

So yeah, what Bloodbag said

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, an original 850CSi is half the price, and I know which I'd rather have :shrug: BMW has lost it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

This. It's so loving ugly while also looking like a Mustang.

*Googles BMW 8 series*

:stare:

Jesus you're not kidding what the gently caress BMW

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, if this spirals further, GM looks like it's going to be the one to get slammed during all of this because they made the president look bad since he tweeted they would deliver 40,000 ventilators "very shortly" and GM is now saying they can do 6,000 by mid april.

He's demanding they reopen the lordstown plant, the plant they no longer own, and start production immediately. I'm betting he's finally going to get around to invoking the national defense act in a way that completely destroys the company by demanding they do things they can't do.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The art of the deal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

on the subject of the mustang, you can option the GT500 over $95k. In canada, it starts at 98,500, a painted stripe is a $12,000 option, the carbon fibre track pack is $25k, and ticking all the boxes gets you to $140,985.

The Merc S-class coupe starts at $158,500, The M8 coupe is $151,000, a GT-R starts at $129,998, the C8 vette starts at $67,900, the last gen ZR1 started at $138,595

It better be pretty fuckin special

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Maybe people see through the fact that it’s a re-skinned 6 series coupe.
I think this is a big part of it. Yeah, it's really nice inside but I think people still see it as an expensive 6 series. I wonder if things would have been different if they had given it the V12 as an option even if most people opted for the V8.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

on the subject of the mustang, you can option the GT500 over $95k. In canada, it starts at 98,500, a painted stripe is a $12,000 option, the carbon fibre track pack is $25k, and ticking all the boxes gets you to $140,985.

The Merc S-class coupe starts at $158,500, The M8 coupe is $151,000, a GT-R starts at $129,998, the C8 vette starts at $67,900, the last gen ZR1 started at $138,595

It better be pretty fuckin special

You’re better off comparing it to a GT3 RS, RC-F Track Edition, or something like that. It’s for track action, the thing is wasted on the street.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

So, if this spirals further, GM looks like it's going to be the one to get slammed during all of this because they made the president look bad since he tweeted they would deliver 40,000 ventilators "very shortly" and GM is now saying they can do 6,000 by mid april.

He's demanding they reopen the lordstown plant, the plant they no longer own, and start production immediately. I'm betting he's finally going to get around to invoking the national defense act in a way that completely destroys the company by demanding they do things they can't do.

He's done it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489909-trump-uses-defense-production-act-to-require-gm-to-make-ventilators

quote:

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 203000)
President Trump on Friday used the Defense Production Act to compel General Motors to produce ventilators to combat the coronavirus after days of hesitating to use the powers in the law.

The president in a statement said the federal government had abandoned negotiations with the automaker on ventilator production, complaining that the automaker was "wasting time."

"Our negotiations with GM regarding its ability to supply ventilators have been productive, but our fight against the virus is too urgent to allow the give-and-take of the contracting process to continue to run its normal course," Trump said.

"GM was wasting time," the president asserted. "Today’s action will help ensure the quick production of ventilators that will save American lives."

The Trump administration had reportedly been negotiating with GM to make tens of thousands of ventilators, but talks broke down due to concerns that the price tag would exceed $1 billion.

The president turned his ire on the automaker earlier Friday, singling out CEO Mary Barra for criticism.

"As usual with 'this' General Motors, things just never seem to work out," Trump tweeted. "They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, 'very quickly'. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B."

Not that anyone really knew what to expect from American Duterte, but invoking wartime exeutive powers to randomly order General Motors to suddenly convert the old J-body plant into "People's Medical Equipment and Tractor Factory #3" sure was not a thing I saw coming.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well gently caress GM if they were trying to take advantage of the situation, glad they are being forced to do it, not like anyone will be buying cars.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong. It's good that the DPA is finally being invoked, it should have been done awhile ago. But I can't help but feel it's being invoked punitively at GM rather than due to the actual need seeing as how just earlier he said about how he doesn't believe the need for ventilators is that high.

I mean, it should be invoked on Ford and others too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well gently caress GM if they were trying to take advantage of the situation, glad they are being forced to do it, not like anyone will be buying cars.

From what I saw, the price they wanted per ventilator was almost half of what they generally go for. Doesn't really sound like taking advantage of the situation to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

From what I saw, the price they wanted per ventilator was almost half of what they generally go for. Doesn't really sound like taking advantage of the situation to me.

Why would he force them to do it if they were playing ball? He said they were being difficult and price gouging.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its a good thing you can take trump's words at face value

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Why would he force them to do it if they were playing ball? He said they were being difficult and price gouging.

Because it's Donald Trump.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More specifically, the idiot started quoting production numbers and timelines that I'm guessing GM never really told him and then had the gall to correct him with what they could actually do.

So, the baby had a temper tantrum on twitter and decided to use a tool meant to streamline production and supply lines on a national level against a single automaker to make it look like he was actually doing something.

This should had been done in February, on a national level across many industries, and then right now we would be starting to reap the benefits of it. What he did today really does nothing. GM isn't going to produce them faster because of this. There doesn't seem to be any directives around production numbers and costs per unit associated with this order.

It's simply so he can say later that he took control and righted the ship at GM so they would produce them, a thing they were already starting to do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

its a good thing you can take trump's words at face value

So GM's words are gospel then? Ok.

Sounds like a he said/she said issue then, but why would he force GM to do it and not other companies

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wait...are we putting our Cheeto in Chief above GM? That's a pretty low blow.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Sounds like a he said/she said issue then, but why would he force GM to do it and not other companies

Because he’s a motherfucker, but congratulations on waking up from your four year coma.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Between Trump and anyone else, I'll believe anyone else every time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Because he’s a motherfucker, but congratulations on waking up from your four year coma.

gently caress off, I honestly don't care either way as long as it's getting done, both Trump and GM can eat a dick as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

:laffo: you’re just of course a trump apologist.